Coronavirus Draft - R1 - Physiocrat vs Moby

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
................................................PHYSIOCRAT................................................................................................................. MOBY...................................................

TEAM PHYSIOCRAT

Tactics - Direct/ Mixed

Formation - 4213

Defensive Line - High

Marking – Zonal

Tactics Overview

Take advantage of Moby’s top heavy side with little defensive work rate in his the front four with a high energy, pressing style by a highly mobile midfield three and hardworking front three. Give Moby’s side no time on the ball to create chances for the excellent Stoichkov and GOAT van Basten – either outwide from crosses or cut backs or through balls from the creative midfield three but especially from the Ballon D’or winning Masopust. Apart from Falcao there is a lack of mobility in his midfield which I intend to fully exploit.

If Moby breaks the press and gets in behind quickly Costacurta has experience in a very aggressive back-line at Milan and the rest of the back four is pretty darn quick, especially Shesternyov who could run the hundred metres in under 11 seconds. And of course there is also the greatest sweeper keeper ever in Neuer to sweep up if necessary.

Clearly though if Moby breaks the press we can drop deep and close down the space. The double pivot of Bremner and Modric will give Zidane little space and both Lizarazu and Djalma are excellent one-one-one defenders to mitigate the threat of Matthews and Dzajic, especially with help from Stoichkov and Boniek. Also Costacurta and Shesternyov are an excellent physical match up for Batistuta. Finally, the whole team are comfortable on the ball so quick transitions are certainly possible utilising the pace of the winger.

Player Name - Player Position

Manuel Neuer - Sweeper Keeper

Albert Shesternyov – Complete CB

Alessandro Costacurta - Stopper

Djalma Santos - Balanced Right Back

Bixente Lizarazu – Attacking Left Back

Billy Bremner (c) – Defensive Box-to-box

Luka Modric – Mobile CM

Josef Masopust – Attacking Midfielder

Hristo Stoichkov – Left forward

Zbigniew Boniek - Floating right-winger

Marco van Basten – Cultured Target Man

TEAM MOBY
  • Possibly the greatest CB pair of all time in Baresi and Nesta guarding the goal forming an impenetrable wall.
  • Camacho and Gerets both defensively sound fullbacks who complete the watertight defense. Both are excellent markers and defenders along with their ability on the ball.
  • Falcao controls the game from the middle of the pitch, putting in quality quick and decisive transitions into play, with Effenberg playing the more defensive role while also possessing a fantastic passing range. Combined with Baresi and Nesta at the back, the out-ball will be incisive and deadly.
  • Two deadly dribblers out wide who can take out a defense by themselves, with the creativity from the middle they will be played in with great opportunities to run at the defense and cause havoc.
  • Zidane's creativity and penetration from the #10 spot in tandem with that of Falcao's making sure the attackers get the perfect amount of quality service without wasting any time.
  • Finally, Batigol up front to smash these chances into the goal.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Physiocrat can you explain a bit your thinking behind front three? Thought about it while we were drafting, its a bit strange. Would prefer one of Boniek/Hristo and one more classical winger, specially with no wingbacks to support them.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Physiocrat can you explain a bit your thinking behind front three? Thought about it while we were drafting, its a bit strange. Would prefer one of Boniek/Hristo and one more classical winger, specially with no wingbacks to support them.
Well Stoichkov has Lizarazu to overlap him. For my right-winger I wanted a hard working winger who was also a provider and could dribble which fitted well for Boniek. True he is not an orthodox right winger and he doesn't need to be stuck with chalk on his boots all-game, he has the licence to drift a bit but he is fully capable of providing of excelling providing width wide right.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
As per my OP, I think Moby's midfield lacks mobility and his wingers workrate. I am fully set-up to exploit this with my high energy set up. Moby's side won't know what's hit them

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not a fan of Zidane-Falcão-Effenberg trio in the middle, Effenberg at his slightly late peak was always more of a playmaker with a vile streak in him rather than an actual ball-winner. I'd prefer a less creative, but more mobile and defensive option, since with Zidane and Falcão you already have an incredible amount of creativity (and I'm not even talking about the wingers). But the rest of the team is just scarily good, especially the Baresi-Nesta base :nervous:

@Moby and @P-Nut had built the strongest teams of that round.

Moby

Dick
I'm not a fan of Zidane-Falcão-Effenberg trio in the middle, Effenberg at his slightly late peak was always more of a playmaker with a vile streak in him rather than an actual ball-winner. I'd prefer a less creative, but more mobile and defensive option, since with Zidane and Falcão you already have an incredible amount of creativity (and I'm not even talking about the wingers). But the rest of the team is just scarily good, especially the Baresi-Nesta base :nervous:

@Moby and @P-Nut had built the strongest teams of that round.
Yeah Effenberg wouldn't be my ideal choice for that role around those players, but while his passing and ability on the ball is highlighted (rightly so), he was still a highly combative player for most of his career and a proper midfield general who contributed heaving in the defensive phase as well. So he should be able to provide a decent foil for Falcao and I think that he's an upgrade on Cereze both defensively and offensively. With Falcao's short passing game it is also important in my opinion to have someone good technically and a good passer to allow smooth interplay in transitions.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah, he's just a bit weird, because he clearly was very combative and aggressive, but he actually wasn't running that much (at his best, he was quite mobile in his younger days), so he wasn't winning that many duels per 90 minutes.
Anyway, he's a pretty decent option for a holding player next to a more box-to-box Falcão and Zidane — it's just that the rest of your team is already so perfect, that anything imperfect is highlighted more. And you definitely need to add some energy, as your wingers and Zidane won't contribute very much in the defensive phase.

Moby

Dick
Yeah, he's just a bit weird, because he clearly was very combative and aggressive, but he actually wasn't running that much (at his best, he was quite mobile in his younger days), so he wasn't winning that many duels per 90 minutes.
Anyway, he's a pretty decent option for a holding player next to a more box-to-box Falcão and Zidane — it's just that the rest of your team is already so perfect, that anything imperfect is highlighted more. And you definitely need to add some energy, as your wingers and Zidane won't contribute very much in the defensive phase.
Yep definitely. If I manage to get to the next round, that would be one area I would be looking to revamp.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Yep definitely. If I manage to get to the next round, that would be one area I would be looking to revamp.
The Zimmer frame midfield. One bout of the cough and all three will collapse.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah I love Mobys team, the only criticism is that Effenberg or Falcao need a holder next to them, as at his peak Effenberg basically had a water carrier doing his running for him.

Watched the 2001 CL final when I picked him in the last draft, and he basically had Hargreaves running everywhere whilst he sat and sprayed passes around. He obviously got forward a fair amount that game as well (they were 1-0 down to be fair) but if he did so here that is a wide open midfield.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I wanted to highlight Masopust. He generally gets relegated to a too defensive role in drafts when in reality he was a dynamic, creative 8 who won the Ballon D'or. He has a great platform to succeed here with a lot of the defensive work being done by Bremner and Modric. He's a nice all-touch compilation from harms.

Also stealing from @Synco Mazurkidurkadurka is relatively poor dealing with crosses which is not good when you have excellent crossers in Stoichkov and Boniek with van Basten's ability in the air.

Moby has the better individuals no question, but mine is the much more functional team overall. The lack of work rate from the front and Falcao doing all the running in midfield simply isn't sustainable.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Also stealing from @Synco Mazurkidurkadurka is relatively poor dealing with crosses which is not good when you have excellent crossers in Stoichkov and Boniek with van Basten's ability in the air.
Wait, I'm not saying this :lol:
Was just an observation for one game.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
C'mon Physio, I think we are all past being disingenuous in draft match threads.
That might be slightly over the top but relative to my midfield three I think it is quite fair. Zidane and Effenberg were not that mobile. Effenberg definitely got stuck in but Zidane didn't. Against a highly mobile and defensively proactive three of Bremner, Masopust and Modric I can see you having a lot of problems there especially because of the lack of work of Dzajic and Matthews.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That might be slightly over the top but relative to my midfield three I think it is quite fair. Zidane and Effenberg were not that mobile. Effenberg definitely got stuck in but Zidane didn't. Against a highly mobile and defensively proactive three of Bremner, Masopust and Modric I can see you having a lot of problems there especially because of the lack of work of Dzajic and Matthews.
You do have a point to be fair, I've never bought Effenberg as a high energy player. I like your setup actually, quite some thought put behind it to stop Moby, but he has a lot of individual quality that is hard to look past. Will keep an eye on discussions.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
It's not the player's quality or the tactical setup.

It's all those round with ineligible picks from Physio. Lost count after a while :lol:

Moby

Dick
As expected a lot of talk about how my attackers won't track back but little input on what's the plan on stopping them once they get on the ball. With the creative juggernaut in the middle and the quality of the two wide men getting that kind of service and possessing GOAT level individual skill, there's no chance that defense is keeping out my attack from scoring. While my defense is far superior and better suited to keep the opposition attack in control. As great as Van Basten is, he is facing possibly the greatest CB duo you can form in an open pool.

However, his counterpart is no small fish. Batigol plundered the 90s Serie A, one which was renowned for having some of the greatest defenders of all time littered across the league while playing for a relatively smaller club in Fiorentina. He is perfectly placed here with the kind of service behind him to absolutely batter that defense like he used to at his prime. One of the most complete and reliable goalscorers of all time, with a massive array of ways in which he can score whether it is in the air or a long range thunderbolt.

With the service being provided to him by the likes of Dzajic, Stanley Matthews, Zidane and Falcao with brilliant on the ball ability at the back in Baresi, Nesta and Effenberg to quickly start counter and allow him to break the defensive line, he will be a marauding presence up front and that's the biggest deciding zone in this game. No chance anything else has a bigger impact on this match than that match-up.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
As expected a lot of talk about how my attackers won't track back but little input on what's the plan on stopping them once they get on the ball. With the creative juggernaut in the middle and the quality of the two wide men getting that kind of service and possessing GOAT level individual skill, there's no chance that defense is keeping out my attack from scoring. While my defense is far superior and better suited to keep the opposition attack in control. As great as Van Basten is, he is facing possibly the greatest CB duo you can form in an open pool.

However, his counterpart is no small fish. Batigol plundered the 90s Serie A, one which was renowned for having some of the greatest defenders of all time littered across the league while playing for a relatively smaller club in Fiorentina. He is perfectly placed here with the kind of service behind him to absolutely batter that defense like he used to at his prime. One of the most complete and reliable goalscorers of all time, with a massive array of ways in which he can score whether it is in the air or a long range thunderbolt.

With the service being provided to him by the likes of Dzajic, Stanley Matthews, Zidane and Falcao with brilliant on the ball ability at the back in Baresi, Nesta and Effenberg to quickly start counter and allow him to break the defensive line, he will be a marauding presence up front and that's the biggest deciding zone in this game. No chance anything else has a bigger impact on this match than that match-up.

I addressed how I would defend in the OP. If you break the press and launch a quick counter I have a quick back four and the best sweeper keeper ever to tidy up when necessary. If we can slow down your attack we will form get into our defensive formation and close the space. Lizarazu and Djalma are excellent one on one defenders and will be helped out by Stoichkov and Boniek respectively. My dynamic midfield trio, especially Bremner will be snapping at Zidane's heels - that I have a double pivot will close the space down for Zidane much more than a single DM would. As for Batigol he is clearly great but Shesternyov and Costacurta match up very well to his attributes. That Shesternyov isn't the typical ball playing CB is an advantage against someone like Batigol.

Moby

Dick
I addressed how I would defend in the OP. If you break the press and launch a quick counter I have a quick back four and the best sweeper keeper ever to tidy up when necessary. If we can slow down your attack we will form get into our defensive formation and close the space. Lizarazu and Djalma are excellent one on one defenders and will be helped out by Stoichkov and Boniek respectively. My dynamic midfield trio, especially Bremner will be snapping at Zidane's heels - that I have a double pivot will close the space down for Zidane much more than a single DM would. As for Batigol he is clearly great but Shesternyov and Costacurta match up very well to his attributes. That Shesternyov isn't the typical ball playing CB is an advantage against someone like Batigol.
I'm not seeing your midfield being able to contain mine on the ball. It's a good unit but it essentially has three box to box players without anyone plugging the hole in front of the defense. It isn't just Zidane who can drop into that area, but Batigol himself was supremely gifted from range could easily exploit that space and gather the ball either taking a shot or distributing it to the wide men. Modric played with Casemiro playing as the holding midfielder sitting in front of the defense allowing him the freedom to dictate play, I don't see Bremner providing that stability so stylistically it isn't a great fit to be honest. A setup with a holding midfielder sitting in front of the defense and both Modric and Masopust playing as box to box midfielders on either side would have been great and much better than what it currently is, that is what I expected before the game to be honest. Something like:

---Masopust---------Modric----
----------------DM---------------

Coming to your defense, a huge factor would also be Zidane's presence both in the air and around the box when the ball goes out wide and is crossed into the box. Both Zidane and Batigol have massive frames and are giants physically, and they can outmuscle someone like Costacurta. Again, the lack of a good DM who could contest these balls in the air missing will be an advantage for me. Bremner is a midget, he won't be able to help out in any scenario there. And I expect both Zidane and Batigol especially Batigol to hammer your CBs in the air. By that I mean while they can win a few contests, over 90 minutes especially with the crossing coming from Dzajic and Matthews, there's little chance they can keep out all the chances. That's just one (great) route to goal for me.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Modric played with Casemiro playing as the holding midfielder sitting in front of the defense allowing him the freedom to dictate play, I don't see Bremner providing that stability so stylistically it isn't a great fit to be honest.
I think that the need for Casemiro was a Real-specific thing, not a Modric-specific thing. Post-Mourinho, Real often played as open & gung-ho as a 2000s PL team, so a corrective was needed. Modric himself is a capable defender. Imo, you would need a Casemiro type for stability much more than Physio, for the same reasons as Real.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'm not seeing your midfield being able to contain mine on the ball. It's a good unit but it essentially has three box to box players without anyone plugging the hole in front of the defense. It isn't just Zidane who can drop into that area, but Batigol himself was supremely gifted from range could easily exploit that space and gather the ball either taking a shot or distributing it to the wide men. Modric played with Casemiro playing as the holding midfielder sitting in front of the defense allowing him the freedom to dictate play, I don't see Bremner providing that stability so stylistically it isn't a great fit to be honest. A setup with a holding midfielder sitting in front of the defense and both Modric and Masopust playing as box to box midfielders on either side would have been great and much better than what it currently is, that is what I expected before the game to be honest. Something like:

---Masopust---------Modric----
----------------DM---------------

Coming to your defense, a huge factor would also be Zidane's presence both in the air and around the box when the ball goes out wide and is crossed into the box. Both Zidane and Batigol have massive frames and are giants physically, and they can outmuscle someone like Costacurta. Again, the lack of a good DM who could contest these balls in the air missing will be an advantage for me. Bremner is a midget, he won't be able to help out in any scenario there. And I expect both Zidane and Batigol especially Batigol to hammer your CBs in the air. By that I mean while they can win a few contests, over 90 minutes especially with the crossing coming from Dzajic and Matthews, there's little chance they can keep out all the chances. That's just one (great) route to goal for me.
That Real side prior to Casemiro was almost a 424 side which is a far cry from my setup. Masopust is much more hardworking than say Isco or Ozil plus my wingers actual defend so the Real comparison fails. Further as your post alludes to, the sole DM is more useful in providing a solid base for attack rather than for defence. Now since I have three hardworking CMs this isn't a problem - Bremner and Modric can take turns attacking without it harming me on the counter. Further having two CMs in front of the CBs in an organised defensive phase reduces the space for the 10 to work in. I don't think it a surprise that Mourinho tends to like a double-pivot.

As for Zidane and Batigol both my CBs are 6ft and accomplished in the air so I don't see a huge problem there plus Djalma and Lizarazu will stop a lot of them coming in anyway. In fact MVB probably has the better advantage in the air against your CBs given his height advantage vs Baresi. Also I do think it is odd that you seem to be treating Zidane as if he is Ruud Gullit.

Moby

Dick
Now since I have three hardworking CMs this isn't a problem - Bremner and Modric can take turns attacking without it harming me on the counter. Further having two CMs in front of the CBs in an organised defensive phase reduces the space for the 10 to work in. I don't think it a surprise that Mourinho tends to like a double-pivot.
I don't agree completely to that and I take the same criticism for my midfield as well where I feel a proper DM would be a better partner for Falcao than another box to box presence in Effenberg and that's the same case with you. The whole taking turns thing is going to fall upside down when you are facing players of the calibre of Falcao and Zidane, who are masters of punishing any pocket of space, and in fact take out crowds of midfielders by themselves when at their best. Against an elite #10 like Zidane, going with multiple all-rounders and no specialists is not ideal by any stretch of imagination and can be easily punished, especially with a complete goalscorer like Batistuta up front.

As for the contribution of the defense to the midfield battle, your CB pair can only dream of contributing on the ball, or being able to step out and put out a fire at a level Baresi or Nesta can. Both their calmness and composure on the ball, their passing technique, tactical intelligence and awareness as well as actual evidence of compressing the space between the midfield and defense is on a whole another dimension as compared to what Costacurta and Shesternyov can offer in that department. It's one thing giving the players instructions, but their ability to carry out those instructions also matter. In this case, any space left due to the merry go round in your midfield not picking up one of my CMs will get duly punished, which is why someone dedicated to that zone in front of the defense as an insurance policy for the other two mids would have offered far more stability especially given what you are up against.

Moby

Dick
I think that the need for Casemiro was a Real-specific thing, not a Modric-specific thing. Post-Mourinho, Real often played as open & gung-ho as a 2000s PL team, so a corrective was needed. Modric himself is a capable defender. Imo, you would need a Casemiro type for stability much more than Physio, for the same reasons as Real.
I'm not doubting Modric's defensive ability, I am simply saying given the players Physio has, having a DM with Modric and Masopust as the two creative CMs would have been an awesome rebuilt of the setup in which Modric thrived the most. There are few better Kroos upgrades out there than Masopust, so I don't see the need of adding another box to box midfielder who was also used to playing alongside a holding midfielder like Johnny Giles. It's simply not the right type of player for that midfield, and like I said in the first reply to harms I don't see Effenberg as the 'best' partner that can be next to the rest of my midfielders. I was replying to Physio and his points about how his midfield is a brilliant fit together stylistically, which in my opinion it isn't.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't agree completely to that and I take the same criticism for my midfield as well where I feel a proper DM would be a better partner for Falcao than another box to box presence in Effenberg and that's the same case with you. The whole taking turns thing is going to fall upside down when you are facing players of the calibre of Falcao and Zidane, who are masters of punishing any pocket of space, and in fact take out crowds of midfielders by themselves when at their best. Against an elite #10 like Zidane, going with multiple all-rounders and no specialists is not ideal by any stretch of imagination and can be easily punished, especially with a complete goalscorer like Batistuta up front.
The problem with Effenberg is not primarily that he is not a DM is that he is as mobile as a cadaver and that Zidane isn't that sprightly either. Despite being a defensive B2B, Kante would be a much better option than Effenberg. Again this is further compounded by my midfield's mobility.

It is clear that in the defensive phase that a double-pivot is more defensively secure (assuming a back four) than a single one as you have four players centrally to defend the space. Now whether or not a a dedicated DM is required to be in the double pivot is a separate question. I think that is likely to be the case if your most attacking midfielder is a 10, if not the the collective force of the midfield comes into play. When I am in possession only one of Modric or Bremner goes forward at once. Masopust can keep an eye on any space a little in behind in a way a 10 would not. Also the pressing game will close many spaces if they actually arise.

As for the contribution of the defense to the midfield battle, your CB pair can only dream of contributing on the ball, or being able to step out and put out a fire at a level Baresi or Nesta can. Both their calmness and composure on the ball, their passing technique, tactical intelligence and awareness as well as actual evidence of compressing the space between the midfield and defense is on a whole another dimension as compared to what Costacurta and Shesternyov can offer in that department.
I haven't denied that but since you focused on your aerial ability of Ruud Zidane and Batigol, all I stated is that they can give them a very good match in the air, which is of course true.

Moby

Dick
When I am in possession only one of Modric or Bremner goes forward at once. Masopust can keep an eye on any space a little in behind in a way a 10 would not. Also the pressing game will close many spaces if they actually arise.
I get that strategy, what I am saying that it's a recipe for disaster against three massively intelligent and opportunistic midfield greats in Effenberg, Falcao and Zidane. Especially the latter two have the close control, dribbling and passing ability that is unstoppable at it's best.

Zidane played with defensive minded players like Deschamps, Petit, Vieira and Makelele and was generally the only creative force in the middle of the park and often got double-triple teamed by the opposition and was still able to find his way out and create chances for his team. Over here he has another GOAT level creative juggernaut in Falcao (who himself has ample experience of combining with other creative presence in the team like Zico and Socrates and form what is considered one of the greatest midfields of all time). The interplay and combination between them will produce an array of unpredictable passes and forward runs, and a reactive approach or 'keeping an eye on it' is not going to work whatsoever. There's no doubt that you absolutely needed a dedicated holding midfielder against my team there, someone with a massive defensive presence. As things stand, you would be massively exposed against my midfield when they are on the ball and over the course of 90 minutes, there will be enough openings when these two can break through and play that killer ball.

The criticism is perfectly valid here, simply as when both Modric and Bremner went forward, they KNEW who was going to be covering for them, in both their cases and it wasn't a coin toss everytime as to who stays behind, and that whenever someone has to go forward they have to check whether the other is positioned correctly. It won't work here, no chance.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The criticism is perfectly valid here, simply as when both Modric and Bremner went forward, they KNEW who was going to be covering for them, in both their cases and it wasn't a coin toss everytime as to who stays behind, and that whenever someone has to go forward they have to check whether the other is positioned correctly. It won't work here, no chance.
It would be interesting to see Pep try to coach this style. His sides, and Klopp's, work like clockwork. I don't see why such an organised regime cannot work without a dedicated DM. All you need is proper disciplined coaching with the ability to carry it out, which I believe I have.

Moby

Dick
It would be interesting to see Pep try to coach this style. His sides, and Klopp's, work like clockwork. I don't see why such an organised regime cannot work without a dedicated DM. All you need is proper disciplined coaching with the ability to carry it out, which I believe I have.
That's a massive stretch to be honest. The essence of the output coaches like Pep and Klopp achieve is in the chemistry and wavelength that they achieve through drilling their players over and over an infinite number of times. While it is fine to argue something like that if you have picked say all three of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets and assume that they can replicate that kind of output on the field, it is a huge huge stretch to say that players from different eras, completely different schools of football with some common attributes can come together and replicate something that even with those two coaches is more of an exceptional achievement and not something a lot of other coaches have managed to achieve.

Essentially what you have mentioned in your last sentence is the biggest part of achieving an output like those you have mentioned, 'disciplined coaching' is not something that we can assume is a given, especially when you have not picked any kind of consistent footballing background in the set of player that are there in your team, but is actually a pretty random assortment (which is totally fine in a draft of course), of player coming from entirely different backgrounds and coaching that shaped their careers. Even if you just isolate the midfield three, it is not glowing with consistency.

Moreover, Pep is far more proven than Klopp, and his biggest success came with a player like Busquets as a holding midfielder. As dynamic as Barca were at their prime, it was still Busi's responsibility to plug the space in front of the defense. Klopp at Dortmund had Bender as the defensive midfielder, while at Pool his setup is totally different to yours and relies on two fullbacks providing the creativity with the midfield keeping men behind the ball. So it's not really a valid reference for me even in a perfect fantasy world where random players suddenly play with super synergy.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
That's a massive stretch to be honest. The essence of the output coaches like Pep and Klopp achieve is in the chemistry and wavelength that they achieve through drilling their players over and over an infinite number of times.
My point wasn't that I had been able to achieve it perfectly more that I would be interested to see a Klopp or Pep style manager, by which I mean here someone who gets the players working like clockwork, to see if they could get such a setup of mine to work at the highest level; I doubt it given the way current football has gone. That said I don't think my set up needs quite that level of precision as my setup allows more individual creativity to take the lead in possession. I would also not have the same possession stats (high possession stats generally lead a to a boring game anyway)

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Not really. Even for the national team both Modric and Rakitic were at their best with a holding midfielder.
Many times Croatia played with Kovacic, Rakitic and Modric in midfield 3 (which everyone wanted to see) and pretty much always failed to impress. Also, every one of them was tried as a more defensive, holding midfielder, but never got the right balance. Only when finally Brozovic or a less shinier name took place instead of Kovacic as a DM both Modric and Rakitic started to look like their Madrid/Barcelona versions.
Modric proved he can play at the highest level even in a 4-4-2, but even there he always played with a holder.

To cut it short, Physio certainly have more work-rate in that midfield, but think the same issue (proper DM) applies to his team as well.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
To cut it short, Physio certainly have more work-rate in that midfield, but think the same issue (proper DM) applies to his team as well.
I don't think Kovacic with Rakitic and Modric is a fair comparison. Bremner provides much more defensively than Kovacic so I don't think that criticism applies to my midfield.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Not really. Even for the national team both Modric and Rakitic were at their best with a holding midfielder.
Many times Croatia played with Kovacic, Rakitic and Modric in midfield 3 (which everyone wanted to see) and pretty much always failed to impress. Also, every one of them was tried as a more defensive, holding midfielder, but never got the right balance. Only when finally Brozovic or a less shinier name took place instead of Kovacic as a DM both Modric and Rakitic started to look like their Madrid/Barcelona versions.
Modric proved he can play at the highest level even in a 4-4-2, but even there he always played with a holder.

Okay, sounds fair. It's probably always necessary for a midfield three to have someone providing the base. But I still don't think the problem applies in the same severity as in Moby's midfield. The collective defensive workrate & mobility of Physio's CM & wingers looks impressive, at least. I have strong doubts there regarding Moby's, although I don't know the wingers well enough. Were Dzajic & Matthews reliable defensively? That would help.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I don't think Kovacic with Rakitic and Modric is a fair comparison. Bremner provides much more defensively than Kovacic so I don't think that criticism applies to my midfield.
Kovacic up until last season was a really strange player to describe. Despite, obviously being very technically good, his way of playing was pretty much like a defensive b2b and that was how he was used in Madrid and many times for the national team. His best game for Madrid came when he was asked to man-mark Messi out of the game (the same way Casemiro was asked to do it once or twice by Zidane). He played many times instead of Casemiro when on the pitch, but despite being a very good tackler and his interception stats were excellent you could see he didn't have the same positional sense.

So, when it comes to specifically Modric am pretty sure he is best with a proper holder and not a regular, even defensive b2b as he is best when the team recycles possession and he is on the front foot. Now, from little that I've seen (and tbh I didn't see a lot) Masopust is also more #8 than #10 and while you definitely have more grit and work-rate in that midfield I don't think it is perfectly balanced.

Okay, sounds fair. It's probably always necessary for a midfield three to have someone providing the base. But I still don't think the problem applies in the same severity as in Moby's midfield. The collective defensive workrate & mobility of Physio's CM & wingers looks impressive, at least. I have strong doubts there regarding Moby's, although I don't know the wingers well enough. Were Dzajic & Matthews reliable defensively? That would help.
Think it is necessary to at least have that someone with very good/great positional sense. For example, Bastian was brilliant in both roles. As for Dzajic/Matthews, both were traditional wingers where their duty was first and foremost to attack. It is quite clear the tactics were different and they were not so tasked with the defensive duties. But from what I saw, both would be capable of providing acceptable/solid defensive cover if being asked. Still, there is no doubt that physio team's workrate is superior.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Moby’s central defence is just :drool:

Effenberg is a problem in midfield though, doesn’t offer anything not already provided for and in fact his weaknesses compound what you need to get the best out of that lovely Zidane/Falcao tandem. I’d rather have a bog standard watercarrier who would run around a lot and defer his game. One midfielder away from perfection there. In this game I can see the extra energy and low centre of gravities of Physio’s trio will give them control of the middle of the park. That's a really complementary and nimble trio with Bremner balancing Modric and Masopust offering some more vertical class on the ball.