Coronavirus Draft - R1 - Physiocrat vs Moby

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Think it is necessary to at least have that someone with very good/great positional sense. For example, Bastian was brilliant in both roles. As for Dzajic/Matthews, both were traditional wingers where their duty was first and foremost to attack. It is quite clear the tactics were different and they were not so tasked with the defensive duties. But from what I saw, both would be capable of providing acceptable/solid defensive cover if being asked. Still, there is no doubt that physio team's workrate is superior.
Yeah, that's more or less what I meant: not necessary in terms of a designated holding midfielder, but someone who knits it together, fills holes, serves the companions where necessary. Here, I still think Physio's high energy midfield would be in a better shape to control the center than the opposition, who I simply think are too easy to play through.

Moby

Dick
who I simply think are too easy to play through.
The weird part is that it's all the criticism about being light defensively but no compensation for it on the other side of things when that unit is on the ball being easily superior in quality as compared to the opposition. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The weird part is that it's all the criticism about being light defensively but no compensation for it on the other side of things when that unit is on the ball being easily superior in quality as compared to the opposition. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I just think that factor is so elementary that it can trump the other at some point.

Moby

Dick
I just think that factor is so elementary that it can trump the other at some point.
Can't see how Modric and Bremner can put up a defensive shield to contain Zidane and Falcao whichever way I try to see it. We can say it will be an open game because both teams have gone with attack minded midfields, but it's pretty obvious which attacking unit will get the most joy in this game. A bit of extra workrate is not going to offset that.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Can't see how Modric and Bremner can put up a defensive shield to contain Zidane and Falcao whichever way I try to see it. We can say it will be an open game because both teams have gone with attack minded midfields, but it's pretty obvious which attacking unit will get the most joy in this game. A bit of extra workrate is not going to offset that.
Maybe I should clarify a few things:

1. Your team is stunning individually - with a little different midfield setup one of the best in the tournament.

2. When I think a team might have an edge, I know in a real game of football the other's advantages can decide the game just as well.

3. I'm just trying to make sense out of football and these fantasy matchups - doesn't mean my reasoning must make sense at all.

4. Teams in these drafts are all stacked with ridiculous quality, so imo Van Basten/Stoichkov/Boniek can easily decide a game with individual class too, even if the overall individual quality in your attacking unit is still higher. And Physio's midfield still has two Ballon d'Or winners + Bremner. Your central defense is of course much better.

I can totally accept that you see it differently (and most voters obviously did too) - there's so much speculation in this. So with all that said, my speculation simply was that collective advantages may mitigate individual advantages here - not a big deal, and I know I can easily be wrong. In the next game you may well have my vote.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think a part of that is its so obvious that the rest of your team will work, so for instance, I also only really commented on Effenberg as the weak link, but still voted for you. It felt rudimentary to describe how the attack and defence would function as its pretty obvious.