Coronavirus in football

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Uefa looking at scrapping the 12 city Euros, probably will just be in one or two cities.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Seems unfair that teams can be outed from a Cup if they can't play a game due to Covid, I know it fecks up a schedule but it's no fault of the club.

PoTMS

Would anyone be happy to void the season now with COVID cases rapidly going back up? Safety aside, it looks like Liverpool are gonna stroll to another league title and we sure as hell ain't winning shit.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Would anyone be happy to void the season now with COVID cases rapidly going back up? Safety aside, it looks like Liverpool are gonna stroll to another league title and we sure as hell ain't winning shit.
Unless things go spectacularly bad i can't see another league suspension. It only happened last time (atleast at the point it did) because they didn't have the measures to protect the players and manager's.

They will live in a bubble and carry on if it came to it i reckon.

GameOn

Will never happen and it would just be complete bs tbh.

Number of severe (!) cases and death rate are rapidly declining, despite the total numbers going up. You can't just stop everything for God knows how long, especially since that virus really is nothing serious for the vast majority of people under 65.

Just follow the guidelines, practice social distancing and wear a mask. If that doesn't help, so be it, but you can't shut down everything again. It would probably destroy more livelihoods than the virus ever could.

Unless things go spectacularly bad i can't see another league suspension. It only happened last time (atleast at the point it did) because they didn't have the measures to protect the players and manager's.

They will live in a bubble and carry on if it came to it i reckon.
It would have to be one hell of a bubble. Whilst only a couple of teams, England managed to play a number of tests and 1 day internationals successfully by implementing the bubble system.

The issue is not the PL, I’m sure they can get a way round it, and implement measures to minimise risk - it will cost a lot to do, but there’s money to do it. You could go to the extent of having 5 teams in group all playing each other at a neutral venue - no outside visitors. Extensive tenting at the end and rotate into another 5 team group.

The issue are the lower league teams, they will all go to the wall.

TheLord

I didn't think last season's PL would restart so early after seeing the COVID-19 carnage earlier in the year.

The virus is not going away until an efficacious vaccine can be mass-produced, which may be a year or more away. Shutting down everything, including football, is now out of question. In the worst-case scenario, football may be suspended for 2/3 weeks (mini-lockdown) to break the chain of COVID-19 transmission and prevent overwhelming the healthcare system.

Sadly, Liverpool are going to win this season's PL, irrespective of COVID-19 effects.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Some mad logic from the FA in FA Cup qualifying.

We have been liaising with Government regarding attendance of spectators at Emirates FA Cup fixtures in light of the recent Government announcements.

Following our latest discussions with Government, the agreed position for matches in the second round qualifying will be as follows:-

• Where an Elite Club is playing another Elite Club, the match must be played behind closed doors (i.e. with no spectators permitted to be in attendance)

• Where an Elite Club is playing a Non-Elite Club:
o Where the match is played at the Elite Club’s ground, the match must be played behind closed doors (i.e. with no spectators permitted to be in attendance)
o Where the match is played at the Non-Elite Club’s ground, spectators of the home club only shall be permitted to attend the match in accordance with the latest applicable National League System Spectator Guidance.

Both clubs shall ensure that spectators of the visiting club are not in attendance at the match.

• Where a Non-Elite Club is playing another Non-Elite Club, spectators (of both the home and visiting clubs) shall be permitted to attend the match in accordance with the latest applicable National League System Spectator Guidance.

For clarity, clubs in Steps 1 & 2 of the FA National League System are considered to be “Elite Clubs” and clubs in Step 3 and below of the FA National League System are considered to be “Non-Elite Clubs”.

This position shall apply for matches in the Emirates FA Cup second round qualifying and will be reviewed again prior to the third round qualifying.

The last 2 paragraphs are crazy.

The worst thing is, they won't let teams switch the fixture to the ground of a 'Non-Elite' ground. As a result, both teams miss out on a share of gate receipts.

Samid

• Where an Elite Club is playing another Elite Club, the match must be played behind closed doors (i.e. with no spectators permitted to be in attendance)

• Where an Elite Club is playing a Non-Elite Club:
o Where the match is played at the Elite Club’s ground, the match must be played behind closed doors (i.e. with no spectators permitted to be in attendance)
o Where the match is played at the Non-Elite Club’s ground, spectators of the home club only shall be permitted to attend the match in accordance with the latest applicable National League System Spectator Guidance.

Both clubs shall ensure that spectators of the visiting club are not in attendance at the match.

• Where a Non-Elite Club is playing another Non-Elite Club, spectators (of both the home and visiting clubs) shall be permitted to attend the match in accordance with the latest applicable National League System Spectator Guidance.
All this makes a mockery of the cup. Why not have simple and consistent guidelines that everyone can follow?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just read that Uefa are putting in measures to play CL/europa games up to end of January if games in November get disrupted.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
What is the logic of allowing smaller clubs to have crowds, but not larger clubs. Surely if you look at it from a health perspective, it should be the other way round if anything. Larger club = bigger grounds, and more distance between people. Not to mention larger clubs would have more money to put the required cleaning and management protocols in place.

Surely it would have been smarter to make it based on the seating arrangement and minimum spacing between people, than what league the team plays in.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What is the logic of allowing smaller clubs to have crowds, but not larger clubs. Surely if you look at it from a health perspective, it should be the other way round if anything. Larger club = bigger grounds, and more distance between people. Not to mention larger clubs would have more money to put the required cleaning and management protocols in place.

Surely it would have been smarter to make it based on the seating arrangement and minimum spacing between people, than what league the team plays in.
If I had to guess.

1. The vast majority of lower league grounds (league one and below) are open planned and can get fans in without having to use a concourse.

2. They need the income a lot more.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This fecking sucks. And will happen to more and more teams.

Samid

FC Asthma getting positive tests right before the international break. How convenient.

Statue of Limitations

Thiago, now Mane, if a club has a severe outbreak, surely they should forfeit the relevant affected games given how crowded the schedule is already?

Hope they all get better soon of course.

Marcus

Thiago, now Mane, if a club has a severe outbreak, surely they should forfeit the relevant affected games given how crowded the schedule is already?

Hope they all get better soon of course.
How many other players are positive? Aren't Villa at risk as well?