Coronavirus in football

liamp

How can they continue with the match unless they had already quarantined Moyes and the players?

90 + 5min

Act how? The FA also losing £300m+ from this situation.

The general economic situation is going to be dire with a D and football going to suffer along with everything else. Valencia published a report suggesting club revenue could fall about 50%, that seems a reasonable worst case scenario all premier league clubs should be planning for as well.

Good news for fans is football will go on even if much less money to go around and lots of clubs fold or fold and get reformed, ultimately just 22 players kicking a ball around and you don't need billions of pounds to do that. Maybe not comforting if you own a club or one owes you money though.
Slash saleries in the league for every player/manager with 50% and clubs would be just fine.

I hope that somehow clubs stop spending tons of money on wages and transfers. However we know how economics work and clubs will be throwing money once again this pandemic stops. People never learn. If I were goverment I wouldn't give anything to elite clubs. If I were TheFA I would only help clubs in lower leagues.

Watched NFL and MLB players getting unbelieveble contracts this and last month. Lost for words.

Adamsk7

Has anyone in the football world not been completely asymptomatic yet? Just seems very weird

United Hobbit

How are Westham being allowed to play their games when the Tottenham one has been called off? Surely the other players would have been in contact with them so while they don't currently have it they could be carrying it i thought if someone in your house had it you had to isolate?

Surely it would have made sense to have the Carabao Cup for Championship clubs and below which would free up the schedule for PL teams in case matches need arranging. It would also give the small teams a chance to win a trophy, and they could still televise the fixtures as planned.

Is the next round really soon? So presumably whoever gets Tottenham / Leyton Orient has another fixture that needs rearranging

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Has anyone in the football world not been completely asymptomatic yet? Just seems very weird
Arteta and Hudson Odoi must have had symptoms to have got access to a test back in March.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This will get worss the closer we get to Christmas
Don't even think anyone can say with any certainty this season will be completed. Maybe that's in the back of the minds of Woodward n co. Could be why we are being very tentative

redshaw

Yes there was an Irish player in a bad in the first wave, Lee Duffy spent a week in hospital, could hardly breathe.

Also Junior Sambia for Montpellier was in hospital and coma.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Slash saleries in the league for every player/manager with 50% and clubs would be just fine.

I hope that somehow clubs stop spending tons of money on wages and transfers. However we know how economics work and clubs will be throwing money once again this pandemic stops. People never learn. If I were goverment I wouldn't give anything to elite clubs. If I were TheFA I would only help clubs in lower leagues.

Watched NFL and MLB players getting unbelieveble contracts this and last month. Lost for words.
Transfer fees aren't money lost to the wider football world. Most of that money trickles down to the smaller clubs. Transfer fees are good.

Wages and agent fees are money that leaves football

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Season will be getting called off at this rate.
Jeez, Utd have lost their 1st game and already they are clamouring for the season to be voided :lol:

Not a chance btw and the last season was finished eventually, tremendously successfully I may add with the odd positive test here or there. Feck me this is a football forum and a good percentage would like it to end.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Anyone worried about the long term effects on players even if asymptomatic? Reading a lot about young people ending up with weird long lasting symptoms like heart palpitations, complete loss of smell, foggy memory, random debilitating pains, chronic fatigue, etc...

Hope it doesn’t end up with some players having to retire.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Brendan Rodgers and Pepe Reina had bad doses of it according to interviews they did.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
This one isn’t going away anytime soon, if ever. Have to wonder when it’s going to end/back to normal.

makes football a lot less exciting to watch aswell, no fans. No soul.
What does if ever mean? You think in 2040 of even 2022 there will still be no crowds and outbreaks rife in squads? Obviously not.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

United stated they will lose £5m per game at Old Trafford. So that's an income loss of at least £90m this season.
Basically the cost of a Sancho :wenger:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Jeez, Utd have lost their 1st game and already they are clamouring for the season to be voided :lol:

Not a chance btw and the last season was finished eventually, tremendously successfully I may add with the odd positive test here or there. Feck me this is a football forum and a good percentage would like it to end.
If you saw the "will the PL be voided thread" over lockdown that wouldn't have surprised you :lol:

Cornish

The worry for me is that clubs below the championship are not having regular tests. It's only because Spurs offered to pay for the Leyton Orient players to be tested that they got picked up as having a positive test.
I wonder how many other lower league players have or have had the virus and possibly passed it on to other players and staff without knowing?

LVGSdive

Don't even think anyone can say with any certainty this season will be completed. Maybe that's in the back of the minds of Woodward n co. Could be why we are being very tentative
It's smart to be tentative. With a significant loss of income short term, not knowing when crowd's will return and potentially long-term with the next tv rights deal. The Guardian reported Sky has lost around 575 million in ad revenue and sky sports subscribers has gone down by around 12%.

redevul5566

Supports
I also support Real Mallorca.

Your club will be bankrupt if this mess is continuing.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Think Brendan Rodgers got hit fairly hard.
There was also a baseball player in the US who is out for the season.
This is without anybody having a clue about long term effects

ForeverRed1

What does if ever mean? You think in 2040 of even 2022 there will still be no crowds and outbreaks rife in squads? Obviously not.
I don’t think corona virus will disappear no. There will be vaccines etc, but it won’t just go away, bit like the flu, it doesn’t go away, we’re just more knowledgeable around it and have vaccines etc. I think it’s here to stay unfortunately. It’s just the unknown. And this whole thing won’t be over in a long while. vaccines don’t happen over night.

of course at some point things will go back to normal. The new normal that is:D

Pep's Suit

Maybe Chelsea bought to early. Transfer fees might plummet in Winter.
Definitely. Biggest clubs generate somewhere between 60-100m from tickets so this is gonna hurt a lot and who knows how 21/22 will look like. Players like Sancho, Mbappe or Neymar will have to wait until they're free agents unless their clubs accept 30-50% of what they'd normally ask.

Pep's Suit

Season will be getting called off at this rate.
As long as people can go to bars, clubs, restaurants you'll struggle to slow it down so no doubt the league will have to stop at one point but guess that would be only for weeks anyway. They probably can't afford another situation like this spring.

This one isn’t going away anytime soon, if ever. Have to wonder when it’s going to end/back to normal.

makes football a lot less exciting to watch aswell, no fans. No soul.
Guess 2-3 years because it looks like people start losing immunity after few months so this is just about waiting for vaccine.

90 + 5min

United stated they will lose £5m per game at Old Trafford. So that's an income loss of at least £90m this season.
Basically the cost of a Sancho :wenger:
Value of players are overrated. Football has become to big for its own best. So this could actually be good in a short/long run. In my opinion. IF people learn. But human nature is that we never learn and will keep giving away money.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Everyone gets vaccinated. Or everyone gets it once and becomes immune
The immunity won't last forever so if you just carry on letting it spread without global mass vaccination then it will never fully end, just attenuate as immune systems get better trained to it.

Chief123

Corona virus has tested positive for Zlatan. Covid-19 will now self isolate for 5 years.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Change the thread title to Coronavirus tests positive for Zlaten.