Coronavirus in football

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is way too soon,

Wish they'd leave it for another four weeks before making any announcement.

Been waiting ages to play again and news like this will only make it longer...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thought that was the top leagues for one mad moment! :nervous:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So Aston Villa want to go ahead and play the u23s, but Pep said City can't do that, request a postponement, and the FA approved it, breaking the 14-man rule that set by itself.
They're only doing it because it's the FA Cup and they along with many others are probably secretly hoping they go out so it eases their issue with fixtures.

There's a very different tune being sung in regards to their next league game vs Spurs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Should still have enough players available for Spurs on Wednesday then if no one else tests positive but I'm guessing it will get called off regardless.
You need 14 players available. Not 14 players testing positive :lol:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Or alternatively it suddenly gives already bored and fed up people with even more time to spare which in many cases won't be a good thing. Not to mention there's probably numerous player's that want/need to carry on for their own mental health.

The reason literally everything shut last time is because there wasn't the capacity to test and the whole thing was new so we played extra safe. Now the capacity to test is here and things have been operating under Covid guidelines for months it makes sense to keep some cogs turning. It isn't just football that's carrying on this time, TV production will also carry on as you were to name another example.
I agree football and many other industries carrying on, but if a production team started posting positive tests at the same incremental rate as the EPL it would be shut down. No questions about it.

The problem with football right now isn't just the positives but the amount that's being played. By the time one team identifies an outbreak, how many other squads have they come into contact with? I'm sorry, but at no point was there this much Covid in the game during the first wave, and we all know it's just going to get worse.

A break for a few weeks wouldn't be the end of the world for the season, it would allow it to continue in the longterm rather than racing towards the inevitable longer break we're heading towards. It's the same lack of foresight as the government. Drain every minute of supposed productivity then shite the bed when things get too bad.

The fact we've got an FA cup weekend with leagues mixing with the EPL is another cause for concern. Guaranteed there'll be loads of postponed EPL games to come following it.

Raredaredevil

At this rate, they might as well call off the season. Why didn't Villa request for a postponement if City gets it?

arnie_ni

Brilliant post bob
I'm somewhat confused as to your claims....They retested everyone after the match against Newcastle, they received the test results on monday morning and had enough negative tests to play the match against Everton monday evening.

However, since they had an increase in positive tests between friday and monday (2 players on friday, 3 players on monday), an argument was made that they had an uncontrolled spread of the virus and that more players could possibly have it even though they tested negative, and you then introduce the added risk of infecting more players.

The problem with this argument is that it goes against everything that was agreed in order to restart football. You are negative as long as you test negative, positive when you test positive, that's it. If you start with the assumption that everyone that tests negative might have the virus and be a risk in terms of infecting others, well....Furthermore, restarting first team training less than 48 hours later just undermines how daft the whole thing is. If they were really worried about an uncontrolled spread and that players were testing negative while having the virus, well feck me sideways there's still a theoretical risk for that 48 hours later...To make it even funnier, Scott Carson was one of 3 that tested positive a week later. Which means you can easily still claim that there's an uncontrolled spread at the club, yet suddenly no one is concerned any longer. It's a farce

Sheffield could make the same argument with their increase in positive results, West Ham, etc etc etc. Any single club that has a sudden increase in positive test can make the medical claim that there's now an uncontrolled spread at the club and the Premier League can't do anything but postpone the match. The entire point is that postponing the match should only happen when there's an extra circumstance, in Fulhams case they had positive tests and on matchday there were players starting to show symptoms, and so far they've had to postpone two matches, it's a wise decision. If you have a serious concern that there's an uncontrolled spread, you sure as shit isn't returning to full training less than 48 hours later.

Clubs accepted the rules, even though they are miles from being perfect. If every club does what City did when there's an increase in positive tests, which they sure as shit can in terms of medical advice, then this season is a write off.

If Rashford, Bruno and someone else tests positive after the Burnley match, everyone else tests negative, there's still the possibility that others are infected with different incubation time, and that we have an uncontrolled spread. Should we follow what was agreed, we have enough players that have tested negative so we play, or do we do a city

piesel

After Cuadrado and Alex Sandro also De Ligt tested positive, Juventus defence is in trouble.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
It wouldn't happen but FIFA should cancel the international matches in March because the situation will not get so much better in the next weeks and it would help every league with postponed matches.

AkaAkuma

Which team beat Derby? Theres a video of them group hugging in a small changing room belting out song.

Can people not practise any restraint?

RonaldoVII

Which team beat Derby? Theres a video of them group hugging in a small changing room belting out song.

Can people not practise any restraint?
Chorley. 6th tier of English football beat Derby, of the Championship, and through to the 4th round. What do you expect them to do? It's the biggest win most of them will ever have. You see teams hugging celebrating goals all the time.

Pep's Suit

Possibly another case at City: someone close to Aguero tested positive so he's in quarantine now.

jem

The absolute idiocy of comparing the Villa situation to the City one is mind boggling.
I'm coming into this with no idea what's really going on - what is the difference between the two situations? Again, I'm genuinely asking, as I don't know the details.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You wonder if it will get to the stage wherefootballers need to be taken out of the family environment and live in a bubble.
So that would mean many player's will have to do what many normal folk do and leave their family for a bit for work reasons. If this happens i can't wait to see the people moaning about football/footballers getting special treatment start moaning effectively because they ain't :lol:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So that would mean many player's will have to do what many normal folk do and leave their family for a bit for work reasons. If this happens i can't wait to see the people moaning about football/footballers getting special treatment start moaning effectively because they ain't :lol:
I know what you mean. :lol: It would mean the players cannot do anything they shouldn't and the people they are in contact with would be under control.

NYAS

I'm coming into this with no idea what's really going on - what is the difference between the two situations? Again, I'm genuinely asking, as I don't know the details.
He won’t answer you because he doesn’t really know. He just wanted to make that little throwaway comment and bounce.

I’ve been asking for a week or so and every response I’ve gotten has been very weak:

1- “City requested the postponement and Villa wanted to play.” As if it’s now totally fine for it to be up to the clubs whether they want to play or not. Surely clubs can’t use that to their advantage, can they? (Sarcasm)

2- “It’s a different tournament.” Meaning, we can’t postpone cup games because there’s no room to reschedule them. But we can postpone league games because there is. (?) So basically, play your U-18’s in the Cup games lads, we need to move on with the tournament. The integrity of the competition comes secondary to the footballing schedule. Just get it done; if it gets done wrong, who cares? Except if it’s the league, of course.

3- “There’s a new strain, we didn’t know how bad it would be” Well, we know now, given the country is in a lockdown and we are much better-educated on the increased transmissibility of the new strain. Lo and behold, some games this weekend involving Covid-hit clubs have gone ahead, and some have been called off. We still don’t know whether the ones that have been called off will be played or whether they will be forfeited by the affected club. Which is interesting because you would have thought if this was all part of an actual plan, we would already know whether it was going to be postponed or forfeited. Maybe there isn’t actually a set plan in place?

4- “You’re asking because you hate City, you’re a conspiracy theorist, you’re embarrassing and we’re not RAWK”. Without actually answering the question.

Short answer to your question: they’re winging it. Which is fine, football is secondary to what’s actually going on.

The problem though, is people are desperate to pretend that this is all part of a well thought-out process by the footballing authorities, and that everything went exactly to plan. No idea why, it’s very weird.

visiting villain

Supports
Aston Villa
I just don't see how we can be made to play vs Spurs on Wed. We already see the precedent set with ourselves having a team postpone vs us because of the Covid issues and apparently the outbreak for us is far worse. Would definitely put Spurs in quite the conundrum though with all of the games they will still have to play.

I just don't know how the plan so far has been to just postpone, postpone, postpone

The FA cup match I think we had to go and play the way which we did otherwise it would've been a forfeit (if im reading the competition rules correctly). Anyways good to get our youngsters a meaningful game vs an elite level senior squad.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas

There might not be scenes like this every week but it’s all the justification needed to suspend all football.

Judas

Open to offers
Why the feck aren't police telling those idiots to go home? Instead of just keeping them out of the road? Hopefully they did soon after the clip, but who knows how long they were waiting there for.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Isn't that what the NBA did last year? Put them all in a Disney resort that was shutdown?
Yep. Worked a charm, but professional basketball probably has the smallest personnel footprint in sports. It works better logistically. Football is probably next in line from a personnel standpoint, but could y’all execute such? Is there a equivalent of Disney that could house all 20 teams & essential peripheral staff like the PL, referees, & other support staff?

SER19

I see mourinho ramping up the pressure for their game v villa to go ahead on Wednesday. If it does, the league has no credibility really given city got a game cancelled at the busiest time of year with a game v championship team in Cup a week later. With the fans situation already unfair this would be even more farcical

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I see mourinho ramping up the pressure for their game v villa to go ahead on Wednesday. If it does, the league has no credibility really given city got a game cancelled at the busiest time of year with a game v championship team in Cup a week later. With the fans situation already unfair this would be even more farcical
Difference being that City's outbreak happened only a day before the game, Villa have known about theirs for a week now and will know for sure who has it and who doesn't. Spurs can't play the fixture at any other point as it stands so what are they supposed to do?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
No way we should play.

We had a near identical situation v Newcastle a few months back when they got a couple of cases, then a few more days later and their training ground was closed and at that point calling the match off was completely logical.

I agreed with that at the time as any team can get an outbreak at any time as Fulham have had, Man. City (allegedly ;)) and now we have it.

Mourinho is a bit rich aswell considering 3 of his players were meeting up on xmas day so Spurs could easily have had situation where they'd had covid outbreak this wee and put have to put that 16 year old who scored today v us, I very much doubt they'd want to play the match in the circumstances.

We seemed to be getting punished for putting the youth team out the other day which is an odd way for premier league to go about things considering they've been calling off other matches with much less cases.

What should've happened is argeeing to play Liverpool game (as I don't think we want a forfeit of an FA cup tie in our history book whatever circumstances) but calling off Spurs match at same time so would've given Spurs-Fulham opportunity to play that game on Tuesday or Wednesday so then they get that one out of the way.

This isn't exactly a water tight case for the premier league to fight if they tell us to play and we refuse given what they've decided in last few weeks.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
What should've happened is argeeing to play Liverpool game (as I don't think we want a forfeit of an FA cup tie in our history book whatever circumstances) but calling off Spurs match at same time so would've given Spurs-Fulham opportunity to play that game on Tuesday or Wednesday so then they get that one out of the way.
Spurs played today, Fulham play Friday. So playing on Tuesday/Wednesday wouldn’t have been possible without moving the Friday game. I doubt neither Chelsea nor the Friday night broadcasters would have wanted that game moved so logistically it wouldn’t have been so straightforward.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs played today, Fulham play Friday. So playing on Tuesday/Wednesday wouldn’t have been possible without moving the Friday game. I doubt neither Chelsea nor the Friday night broadcasters would have wanted that game moved so logistically it wouldn’t have been so straightforward.
Spurs have done 48 hours a few times this season. Not ideal of course but it's not like Marine took much out of them and they'd have made 7/8 changes from what started today in any case, perhaps more.

Or you could've just moved Fulham-Chelsea to Saturday evening given Friday night football hasn't been the roaring success many predicted. Don't really see what difference it makes.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Spurs have done 48 hours a few times this season. Not ideal of course but it's not like Marine took much out of them and they'd have made 7/8 changes from what started today in any case, perhaps more.

Or you could've just moved Fulham-Chelsea to Saturday evening given Friday night football hasn't been the roaring success many predicted. Don't really see what difference it makes.
Spurs wouldn’t agree to a 48 hour vs Fulham when they’re scheduled for a 72 hour vs a covid-riddled Villa. Chelsea wouldn’t agree to moving game to Saturday and give up on a valuable extra rest day before they face Leicester on Tuesday. Broadcasters wouldn’t be willing to give up on the Friday night game because that’s a super ideal slot for them especially in the middle of lockdown.

I’ve worked a bit with event management and it’s never as simple as making late changes to the planned schedule and expecting it to make no difference. Every stakeholder sees things from their own perspective, and you need to take in all their perspectives and come up with a compromise that works for all of them. It’s easier to compromise as long as only two teams are involved (Villa and Spurs). It gets really messy when you have to find a compromise between 4-5 teams. There would be serious disharmony if several games with unrelated teams were being moved at such short notice.

AkaAkuma

"This Chorley group" had a test for the coronavirus.

The problem is "this group"
Just to be clear I didnt label chorley "this group".

Im overly cautious, as I believe maybe wrongly, that despite negative results a breach can happen. Is the person cleaning the locker room checked at the latest possible time? Just one example. Breaches can enter where less stringent testing is done. The further down the football piramid the less stringent theyll be due to resources.

Add to the fact they played a team which just had a full training closure.

Its a great acheivement and great that xyz scored a goal. But I just ask to practise restraint, dont hug, dont shake hands and dont have mass group sing alongs. For a health aspect but ultimately to protect the football piramid and their own livelihoods.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
No way we should play.

We had a near identical situation v Newcastle a few months back when they got a couple of cases, then a few more days later and their training ground was closed and at that point calling the match off was completely logical.

I agreed with that at the time as any team can get an outbreak at any time as Fulham have had, Man. City (allegedly ;)) and now we have it.

Mourinho is a bit rich aswell considering 3 of his players were meeting up on xmas day so Spurs could easily have had situation where they'd had covid outbreak this wee and put have to put that 16 year old who scored today v us, I very much doubt they'd want to play the match in the circumstances.

We seemed to be getting punished for putting the youth team out the other day which is an odd way for premier league to go about things considering they've been calling off other matches with much less cases.

This isn't exactly a water tight case for the premier league to fight if they tell us to play and we refuse given what they've decided in last few weeks.
Man City played Chelsea away 7 days after their covid outbreak, what's Villa's excuse?