Coronavirus in football

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Aston Villa v Spurs off.

Spurs to play Fulham that night instead.

Fulham v Chelsea on friday pushed back to saturday.

Okey

Some backlog Villa are accumulating. Anyway, they're not in any Cup or Europe. Their opponents could potentially be worse affected than they are.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just when you think it couldn't get any worse for Celtic, look at who the one positive cases of COVID-19 was identified in! A defender on crutches who is out for the months, who should have never been anywhere near that trip!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So Fulham have been told they're playing a game with 2 days notice? Seems very strange.
If Fulham hadn't realised that this was possibility looking at the season's schedule, and especially Spurs', then they are a bit thick. The whole of FPL Twitter has been expecting this news.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just when you think it couldn't get any worse for Celtic, look at who the one positive cases of COVID-19 was identified in! A defender on crutches who is out for the months, who should have never been anywhere near that trip!
Really? That is mad. Probably thought it would be good for morale. That has backfired a bit.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Spurs played today, Fulham play Friday. So playing on Tuesday/Wednesday wouldn’t have been possible without moving the Friday game. I doubt neither Chelsea nor the Friday night broadcasters would have wanted that game moved so logistically it wouldn’t have been so straightforward.
Edit: Ignore me, Samid, you were right.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Spurs with no cases getting mullered in terms of fixtures by pure bad luck. Its getting to the stage they'll be jumping on the bus and just hoping they can arrive somewhere to play.

arnie_ni

Didn't the squad fly to dubai or something stupid like that? Should be a massive fine and even points deduction for that level of stupidity

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Didn't the squad fly to dubai or something stupid like that? Should be a massive fine and even points deduction for that level of stupidity
Yep, they took that injured lad and there’s photos of him having to take stairs on crutches, whilst carrying his own bags, because of COVID!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Man City played Chelsea away 7 days after their covid outbreak, what's Villa's excuse?
The same excuse as Newcastle when they postponed v us....Man. City training ground was never shut for prolonged period AFAIK.

Anyway premier league have totally shocked me this lunchtime with incredible common sense.....Spurs-Fulham as I said on Weds so Spurs for now will remain just one game behind and our game with Everton moved to Sunday so I'd expect us to play that now given some of our players apparently tested positive on the Monday so hopefully they haven't been impacted much and will be ready to train again on Thursday.

Overall the right decision for all parties.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs with no cases getting mullered in terms of fixtures by pure bad luck. Its getting to the stage they'll be jumping on the bus and just hoping they can arrive somewhere to play.
Spurs easily could've had an outbreak given what 3 of theirs were up to on xmas day...

That's why I don't really get other fans getting on their high horse about this. I was fine with Newcastle being first club to cancel v us in December as it could easily happen to any club in next few weeks given how widespread covid is again in U.K.

This idea some clubs are just immune to any outbreak whatsoever is a bit fanciful and I doubt any Spurs fan would want a situation where they'd have to play the league cup final or a big europa tie with most of the first team squad isolating, they'll want that match postponed aswell.

Amir

So that would mean many player's will have to do what many normal folk do and leave their family for a bit for work reasons. If this happens i can't wait to see the people moaning about football/footballers getting special treatment start moaning effectively because they ain't :lol:
Problem is, it's not for 'a bit'. With over half the league remaining, plus cups, we're talking about several months. Plus some will still need to travel for European matches and face team who won't be in such bubbles.

The NBA did it for about 2.5 months - and that's for players from teams who went all the way to the finals. This season the NBA is playing regularly and suffering from infections like the Premier League.

Amir

If Fulham hadn't realised that this was possibility looking at the season's schedule, and especially Spurs', then they are a bit thick. The whole of FPL Twitter has been expecting this news.
Realising it could happen and doing something about it are two different things... You're not going to train on tactics for two matches at the same time... Plus they played in the cup on saturday knowing they had a certain fixtures list.

It's not about sports anymore. Just getting rid of as many matches as possible.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Spurs easily could've had an outbreak given what 3 of theirs were up to on xmas day...

That's why I don't really get other fans getting on their high horse about this. I was fine with Newcastle being first club to cancel v us in December as it could easily happen to any club in next few weeks given how widespread covid is again in U.K.

This idea some clubs are just immune to any outbreak whatsoever is a bit fanciful and I doubt any Spurs fan would want a situation where they'd have to play the league cup final or a big europa tie with most of the first team squad isolating, they'll want that match postponed aswell.
I don't have anything against you guys cancelling, and indeed Spurs could have had an outbreak. I just think their season has been thrown into turmoil not by any club in particular just by the virus itself.

ROFLUTION

The same excuse as Newcastle when they postponed v us....Man. City training ground was never shut for prolonged period AFAIK.

Anyway premier league have totally shocked me this lunchtime with incredible common sense.....Spurs-Fulham as I said on Weds so Spurs for now will remain just one game behind and our game with Everton moved to Sunday so I'd expect us to play that now given some of our players apparently tested positive on the Monday so hopefully they haven't been impacted much and will be ready to train again on Thursday.

Overall the right decision for all parties.
I agree. Dont see no farce in this, just common sense. Any idea on where in Spurs tight schedule Spurs v Villa could be thrown in? And is Villa close or far to returning to playing? Is Saturday's game against Everton in danger?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Fulham suddenly getting an extra fixture with 2 days notice is pretty harsh to say the least.
Most likely they're getting smashed anyway, but that's not the point.

Nickosaur

Fulham suddenly getting an extra fixture with 2 days notice is pretty harsh to say the least.
Most likely they're getting smashed anyway, but that's not the point.
Very harsh imo.They wouldn't have played such a strong team in the cup if they had any inkling this would happen. Their tie vs QPR went to extra time too. I'd be raging if I was Parker/a Fulham fan.

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Very harsh imo.They wouldn't have played such a strong team in the cup if they had any inkling this would happen. Their tie vs QPR went to extra time too. I'd be raging if I was Parker/a Fulham fan.
It's really only 2 days notice if they had absolutely no inkling that something like that would happen given the fact that we fielded a bunch of 18 year olds on Friday, which would be incredibly naive on their part. Teams have apparently been warned ahead of the season that these things will happen.

Besides, they've already done at the very least the tactical preparation for Spurs given that their game was them was called off just hours before kick-off. Physically speaking, having to play on Wednesday after a Saturday is hardly out of step with the season so far, and that's without mentioning the fact that they rested most of their starters on Saturday anyway.

I have sympathy for them for sure, but this is about as common sense as it gets for the PL, and really the cleanest solution you could hope for from a Fulham perspective.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's not ideal for Fulham but I reckon they'd rather have Spurs away now than right at end of the season which could be must win for them.

They actually put the reserves out on Saturday. Rodak, Tim Ream, Kongolo, Joe Bryan, Jose Onomah all started, none make their strongest prem 11 now.

justsomebloke

A break for a few weeks wouldn't be the end of the world for the season, it would allow it to continue in the longterm rather than racing towards the inevitable longer break we're heading towards. It's the same lack of foresight as the government. Drain every minute of supposed productivity then shite the bed when things get too bad.
The Premier League ends on 23 May. The Euros start on 11 June. There is no scope for prolonging the season, hardly even by a week. If they do a covid break now, they will simply have to squeeze even more games into an already over-compressed schedule later. So I think it's fair to assume that they'll do everything they can to keep things running.

VivaRonaldo85

Can’t get my head around Celtic going to Dubai for warm weather training in the current environment. They must have some strange senior officials working at that club who thought this could in any way turn out to be a good idea in the long run. Madness!

justsomebloke

Can’t get my head around Celtic going to Dubai for warm weather training in the current environment. They must have some strange senior officials working at that club who thought this could in any way turn out to be a good idea in the long run. Madness!
Totally. It's just so simple - if you can avoid travelling, you avoid travelling.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Its a disgrace, a bunch of brain dead players doing stupid things is one thing but an entire club signing off on this is an embarrassment. I have a soft spot for Celtic cause of my dad but they deserve a points deduction for this (not that it matters). Their statement on it also was a farce and they should be embarrassed twice as much for that.

No apology and a ball of excuses... disgusting.
https://thecelticstar.com/dubai-fia...rs-plus-lennon-and-kennedy-in-self-isolation/

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Problem is, it's not for 'a bit'. With over half the league remaining, plus cups, we're talking about several months. Plus some will still need to travel for European matches and face team who won't be in such bubbles.

The NBA did it for about 2.5 months - and that's for players from teams who went all the way to the finals. This season the NBA is playing regularly and suffering from infections like the Premier League.
It won't be for months at worst it will be while the lockdown restrictions are in place to the level they currently are which will probably be a month to month and a half. My uncle had to leave his kids to work for treble that time every year.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
For me - the numbers are now out of control. There’s no point playing on if the country is going through the worst ever spike.

best to call the season as it is. It was a good one!

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Can anyone explain me how most teams have kept the same home/away form despite no fans in stadium?

I thought restrictions would even out home and away advantage, yet the likes of LFC remain unbeatable at Anfield.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Fulham are being treated like a club that doesn’t matter.

City have a postponed game to fit in. There’s no way they’ll be asked to play it two days before it takes place and it would be the same for us.

Sylar

Reading that Villa asking for everton game to be postponed too?

Pep's Suit

With 10+ first-team players positive I'm not even sure if they'll be able to play next week against City.

Can anyone explain me how most teams have kept the same home/away form despite no fans in stadium?

I thought restrictions would even out home and away advantage, yet the likes of LFC remain unbeatable at Anfield.
Home advantage is about the comfort of playing at home, much more than fans. Familiarity if you like.
You know every blade of grass, the dressing room is “home”, the commute shorter, everything feels more comfortable.

It’s why it’s the same even in Sunday league.