Coronavirus in football

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
They have stopped protecting players highly now it seems. Lots of players infected recently.
They get it while on hols, many fancying themselves as demi-gods who are immune to that kind of stuff. Which is a bad mixture with not being the sharpest knife in the drawer generally.

Revan

Assumptionman
They get it while on hols, many fancying themselves as demi-gods who are immune to that kind of stuff. Which is a bad mixture with not being the sharpest knife in the drawer generally.
I think it is simply a matter of statistics. The UK has over 350K cases of confirmed coronavirus infections, the true number is likely many times higher. It is to be expected that some footballers are going to get infected too, especially considering that they get regularly tested (which means that if they get infected, they get caught).

I don't think it is a very big deal. They also happen to be very fit and young, so in the vast majority of cases, they won't have bad consequences.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What's the odds that if Liverpool get one positive case they get a two week break ?

Or have they used up all their bribery funds on VAR.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What's the odds that if Liverpool get one positive case they get a two week break ?

Have you seen how many pens/goals ruled out etc we've had in our favour this season?
Var has been brilliant for us :)

Paul_Scholes18

They are not signing any players yet. So I think they use up the funds on refs, VAR and buying the media to give them positive reviews.

Chief123

I can see covid causing havoc this season. Won’t be long before a player gets it and spreads it to multiple people in the squad, potentially half the team or more!

All players would have to isolate for 14 days. Surely they can’t keep suspending games. Going to be crazy scenarios this season.

Pagh Wraith

RB Leipzig have been allowed to start the new season in front of 8,500 spectators who will be randomly selected from their season ticket holders.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

"The latest SarsCoV2 PCR tests carried out within the Paris Saint-Germain squad confirm the result of three new positive cases. These players follow the appropriate health protocol."

Who could have possibly imagined that partying in Ibiza might lead to something like this?!

Havak

Pokemon master
I expect it will cost players to miss games far more often than the average fan would expect. Every week a player (or more likely quite a few players) will miss games because of it, for the entire season IMO.

I expect it will cost players to miss games far more often than the average fan would expect. Every week a player (or more likely quite a few players) will miss games because of it, for the entire season IMO.
At what point will a team refuse to play? Chelsea have/had 8 players in isolation. What if Liverpool lose VVD? There needs to be some clear rules around what happens next. The season is a week away.

acnumber9

At what point will a team refuse to play? Chelsea have/had 8 players in isolation. What if Liverpool lose VVD? There needs to be some clear rules around what happens next. The season is a week away.
Rules are already in place if a team refuses to play. They forfeit.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I wonder what happens if a team gets hit really hard, as in 4-5 or more from the starting line-up affected at the same time.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Wasn't there also high(ish) numbers around the start of the restart but as soon as the season fully (re)kicked in there were next to no positive results?

Hopefully it's a similar song on this occasion.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wasn't there also high(ish) numbers around the start of the restart but as soon as the season fully (re)kicked in there were next to no positive results?

Hopefully it's a similar song on this occasion.
Think the teams getting constantly tested and living in a bubble helped that. Just shows what happens when you let them out on the loose.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I wonder what happens if a team gets hit really hard, as in 4-5 or more from the starting line-up affected at the same time.
Guess it will just get treated same as an injury crisis and clubs will have to get on with it given players will miss just two weeks rather than months as in the case of bad injuries.

It's not ideal though. I read a few weeks back Uefa are insisting clubs complete european games as long as they have 11 fit players to play the game. You can see what they want by forcing Czech republic to play tonight v Scotland with staff members playing for them apparently.

ti vu

So do Iceman and Martial have to self-isolate now?
Very confusing situation now. Shouldn't they postpone these game to let players from these teams self isolate? Continuing like this and players just spread to others.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Tonight's PSG line up is an example of what we'll see this season, teams with 4/5 players isolating with covid will be made to play with fringe/youth team players.

arnie_ni

Think itl die down after a few weeks once they're all settled back in again.

The holidays then International duty has caused this uptick.

arnie_ni

In October and in November too. That's not even the worst part, the Euro play off teams will be playing 3 games in 7 days on both occasions.
I know the euros etc are in the summer but this is total madness.

The quality of the football come feb nad mar could be total crap.

Need massive rotation