Coronavirus in football

CallyRed

Great that all the FA cup games went ahead, without any postponement with a covid related reason. Really great.

Pep's Suit

If City can play tomorrow (2-3 new cases yesterday) then Arsenal can play on sunday.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Alfonso Davies, Aubameyang and another player (forgot the name) have been diagnosed with a heart defect after recovering from covid. Bit worrying.

Fooza

Hope PL tell Arsenal to do one, otherwise it's just a shambles.

The Purley King

One covid case = postponed

riiiiiight
What a fecking joke. I’d dock them 3 points just for requesting……….

Ludens the Red

riiiiiight
Don’t blame them and the Pl should postpone the game based on how they’ve been so far. They allowed teams to take take the piss and get games postponed when they felt they weren’t in a good place and they opened up a can of worms. They must apply the same rule for everyone nowz

Big Poppa

Supports
Arsenal

riiiiiight
Everyone needs to put their knickers back on. TAA was Liverpool’s only positive case in their “outbreak”, where was this outcry for them?

The guidelines aren’t about positive covid cases they’re about minimum numbers of available players. It’s pretty explicit.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Why are Spurs and Pool fans getting so annoyed with this proposal? They used the same rules to postpone their games, Arsenal are within their rights to request postponing this game as they have only 12 outfield players available. Rules should be consistent for all or scrap this rule and ask everyone to play youth players.
Well Spurs had a Covid outbreak, which is what the rule was brought in for, not an AFCON and Xhaka being a moron outbreak.

forevrared

Alfonso Davies, Aubameyang and another player (forgot the name) have been diagnosed with a heart defect after recovering from covid. Bit worrying.
For what it’s worth, most completely recover from myocarditis, which is essentially an inflamed muscle…albeit in the heart, which is not the ideal place for that, of course.

choccy77

Arsenal shouldn't be allowed a postponement in my view.

Using African Nations as one of a few reasons is just tough.

Injuries happen, ACON affects all teams. Covid seems to be covient (Like Liverpool used other day to advantage)

They have youth players, it's only Spurs.

choccy77

If City can play tomorrow (2-3 new cases yesterday) then Arsenal can play on sunday.
Exactly, its not as though they are Liverpool, the only club to confirm everyone is jabbed 20 times each, yet all have covid but turns out it was actually a runny nose from the groundsmans great great great Aunt who died 20 years ago in Spain.

minoo-utd

This is getting ridiculous. All the blame is on the P.L for opening the door for such situations. Teams can have only one covid case and still have their game postponed, what an utter shit that is!

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Premier League need to draw a line on this now. This farce has dragged on long enough.
The PL wrote the rule in a way that makes the number of available first team players the key criterion for postponement, not the number of Covid cases. That was probably a dumb choice, but that's the way the rules were written and that's the way they've been applied to all other requests during the past month or so. Leicester just had their mid-week fixture with Everton postponed and its not clear they had any positive Covid cases at all. Other clubs have done similar, requesting postponements when it was clear that it had little to do with a Covid outbreak. So why should one set of rules apply to all these clubs and a different set to Arsenal?

If the PL wants to draw a line, the answer is to formulate a different policy and apply the new policy to all clubs equally.

The Purley King

Everyone needs to put their knickers back on. TAA was Liverpool’s only positive case in their “outbreak”, where was this outcry for them?

The guidelines aren’t about positive covid cases they’re about minimum numbers of available players. It’s pretty explicit.
There was a similar outcry especially as it’s crystal clear they were making it up.
PL are morons, if you have injuries/suspensions then tough. If you have players at afcon then tough.
The only thing that should matter is covid cases. And you have one.
Ridiculous.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
For what it’s worth, most completely recover from myocarditis, which is essentially an inflamed muscle…albeit in the heart, which is not the ideal place for that, of course.
I would guess it is quite common to have lung issues (see Kimmich) or a minor inflammation of the heart muscle (see Davies) after having Covid. Us mere mortals just don’t get checked for it and it mostly does not influence our every day lives. It is of course a completely different story for world class athletes who always operate at their body‘s limit.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
there is a misconception this rule only came in because of covid it has been there for years.

in most teams 25 man squad 3 are keepers so that's 22 outfield players in previous years teams never had 9 senior outfield players out at once but injuries are being made worse because players who otherwise wouldn't play are having to as otherwise healthy players cannot play so they are needed

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That is pathetic - Arsenal have 1 confirmed COVID case and they get to postpone the game. Total farse.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
how many injuries have Arsenal got?
Injured v LFC Soares Saka (knock) Chambers (knock) Tierney (knock) Injured longer term Tomiyasu Kolasinac Smith-Rowe

One COVID case as well and that's it. The rest are playing in African Nations or have been loaned out (2 loaned out just this week). Xhaka also suspended.

Leeds had 9 fit first teamers earlier this season and they were told to play the kids and get on with it.

Lewnited

This is mental :lol: I guess my biggest question would be how would the exact same case have panned out in say 2018/19 with no COVID?

Would this still have been postponed or would they be told to get on with it?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This is mental :lol: I guess my biggest question would be how would the exact same case have panned out in say 2018/19 with no COVID?

Would this still have been postponed or would they be told to get on with it?
You already know the answer to that! They are totally taking the piss and twisting the COVID rules. I can list our own injured players - Son, Romero, Sessegnon, Dier (COVID). I remember lasagne gate when we literally had to play guys who were throwing up with stomach cramps but now 1 covid case and you can just cancel at will.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Normalising postponing games due to injuries
injuries have been made worse by covid as well though, players that are fit to play not being allowed means players carrying a knock who would be left out are forced to play making the injury worse and putting them out for longer, unless a player is actually positive for Covid they shouldn't be made to isolate, that change alone will make a big difference to availability