Coropa League - QF - 2mufc0 vs Skizzo

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
....................................................2MUFC0.........................................................................................................SKIZZO

TEAM 2MUFC0

Rivaldo takes centre stage in attack and is surrounded with attacking players that have excellent movement, eye for goals and creativity. The back line line and midfield provides energy, power as well as creativity to link attack with defence. Suarez leads the line harrying the opposition defence and creating the space for the other attackers to exploit, his goal scoring will also be utilised with the abundance of creativity from the attacking players. There is no respite for the opposition with threats in the middle (Matthaus, Rivaldo Suarez) and also world class quality in wide areas (Gento/Jairzinho).

In terms of defence the central core of midfielders and defenders provide a robust defence and Brehme and Gentile provide world class defensive cover in wide areas where the main threat of the opposition will be. Central defence is a powerhouse with Figueroa and Puyol and will be like a brick wall to get through, combined with world class distribution from Don Elias. The dominant Schmeichel guards the goal making it difficult for the opposition to score.

TEAM SKIZZO

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Wow. Coropa league is where it's at.

Edit: not so sure in Dalglish at skizzo and more attacking FB's would be useful, 2mufc is near perfect on the other hand

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@2mufc0 came out really well from reinforcements. Figueroa is among the (imo) very few imaginable improvements on Maldini as a CB, and that midfield three with Matthäus is fantastic.

Defense is great overall. Having a captain like Puyol as a sideman is damn good stuff. Even if Gentile has no winger to mark directly, he can take care of Cole or situationally Henry, as the latter will probably move to the left quite a bit.

Only thing I can make out is that a CF with more aerial power might be better, as both wingers and Brehme provide quality crosses. Especially since the opposition defense involves Kohler, who will give the CF little leeway in the air.

But Jairzinho loved to cut inside & score, which suits the setup well. From what I've seen, he's also a good header, so he may actually be an outlet for crosses from the left.

And Gento, while in many ways a classic winger, had a certain versatility to his game as well - both impressions only based on the compilations I know, so others may provide a more profound view. Still, either a cut-inside type of wing forward on the left to match with Suarez'/Rivaldo's style, or a heading monster in the center would perfect this setup, imo. But I have little doubts about these players finding themselves on the field anyhow.

Skizzo was unlucky in the last round, but I think in this one my vote is clear.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@2mufc0 came out really well from reinforcements. Figueroa is among the (imo) very few imaginable improvements on Maldini as a CB, and that midfield three with Matthäus is fantastic.

Defense is great overall. Having a captain like Puyol as a sideman is damn good stuff. Even if Gentile has no winger to mark directly, he can take care of Cole or situationally Henry, as the latter will probably move to the left quite a bit.

Only thing I can make out is that a CF with more aerial power might be better, as both wingers and Brehme provide quality crosses. Especially since the opposition defense involves Kohler, who will give the CF little leeway in the air.

But Jairzinho loved to cut inside & score, which suits the setup well. From what I've seen, he's also a good header, so he may actually be an outlet for crosses from the left.

And Gento, while in many ways a classic winger, had a certain versatility to his game as well - both impressions only based on the compilations I know, so others may provide a more profound view. Still, either a cut-inside type of wing forward on the left to match with Suarez'/Rivaldo's style, or a heading monster in the center would perfect this setup, imo. But I have little doubts about these players finding themselves on the field anyhow.

Skizzo was unlucky in the last round, but I think in this one my vote is clear.
Thanks!

Wrt to Suarez I thought the crosses wouldn't be utilised as much with him too but I was looking at his goals and surprisingly he scored quite a few headers. He's definitely not a Kocsis but has a decent threat in the air mainly due to his movement and getting into space to find headers. He can also be pretty physical for example this goal:

I'm not trying to sell him as a heading machine because that's not his primary game but I feel he can benefit from high crosses too.

GodShaveTheQueen

Those midfields are just wow.

Bastian-Lothar base is ridiculously good.

A perfect setup for Sammer as well. He will have to shuttle between MF and defense to keep 2mufc0's wings at bay.

Agree that Coropa league is looking dangerously good. No wonder the Champions League managers are scared to lose the super Cup game :lol:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Voted skizzo, few minutes later thought its a bit unfair.....
Skizzo team is far from perfect, lacks a bit width(specially on the right side) with both midfielders prefering the central areas but reckon they would be pushed to defend more which will suit them and Platini - Henry on the counter could be deadly. Not sure what to think of King Kenny, gets underrated as feck, specially in systems closer to his time but this is just unfamiliar territory for me as i just dont know enough to see how would this play out.

As for 2mufc, pace and power. Lacks a bit of finesse and creativity to be a truly great side, sadly skizzo could probably be able to handle the physical side of the game and then its big problems for mufc as the defensive wall from skizzo is fecking impressive and they lacking a proper a "magico" in the side. Not the biggest fan of Puyol - Gentile pairing nor of them as individuals so can see Henry doing his thing for his side to nick this.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
@Šjor Bepo could you remove references to the score please.

GodShaveTheQueen

Lacks a bit of finesse and creativity to be a truly great side
I usually have the same pov with sides that sport Rivaldo as a No.10 in a 4231 but I felt Bastian and Lothar with Don Elias add more than enough creativity. Finesse maybe not, but I think that team could do well even without a genuine creative playmaker as an AM or midfielder

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I would say there is plenty of creativity both CMs and Rivaldo are capable creators, Brehme and Figueroa at the back too. Suarez has fricken 230 career assists. Seriously. For team looking to play direct pacey football imo the personnel is spot on.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Doesnt really have to come from the n10 spot so Rivaldo there isnt really an issue but when all offensive players are direct, pace and power type then it can became a bit of an issue. Midfield is spot on, Figueroa at the back as well but if and when skizzo drops back and forms a wall you need something to spice it up a bit, specially when your opponent is well matched for your strengths.

Its still a damn good team dont get me wrong but so is skizzos, can easily see it as a low/non scoring draw.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
What do you guys make of Jairzinho in that regard? Of course he has pace & power in abundance, but when I see footage, I'm always amazed by his feints & dribbling skills in tight spaces, which opens up many situations.

Could he be a tin opener against a deep defense (say, à la Ribery), or does he need a more dynamic transition situation to really apply this?

Moby

Dick
Massively close teams, went with Skizzo but only by an absolute whisker. For 2mufc the Brehme-Gento flank looks like a great route to attack and he should create a goal out of that side, but I really dig the Platini-Souness-Simeone-Sammer midfielder. It will be a massive midfield battle but in those box to box midfielders Skizzo has enough to keep the two Germans occupied letting Platini get on the ball a fair amount of time and run the show, and Henry is a great foil for him up front as he's pretty used to playing with a dynamic wide forward who can stretch wide but also dart inside and get on the scoresheet, and I believe Henry as a goalscorer is better than anyone Platini ever played with. In the end I see Platini having enough of a platform behind him to give his team that little edge needed to win this incredibly tight game. Something like a 3-2.

Moby

Dick
Not sure on Dalglish there. Crespo might have been better there with Platini behind. good team by 2mufc too. No obvious flaws.
I had similar feeling with Dalglish initially but I think he's a great fit here. Allows Henry to spearhead the attack with Platini running the game from deep or bombing forward into the box with Dalglish dovetailing with both of them nicely depending on the attacking scenario. Also given the workman like midfield behind them, it helps having a bit more creativity and link up playing by having a SS like Dalglish in there. I think it elevates the whole attack.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Dalglish and Henry would be a cracking partnership. Love that Simeone/Souness/Sammer/Kohler defensive axis, overflowing with leadership and won't leave much space at all. Probably a lot of cancelling out through the spine given the robustness of Matthaus and Schweinsteiger ahead of Figueroa no less.

2mufc0's left flank is seriously impressive though against the weakest part of Skizzo's team. Not just Sagnol but neither Souness or Dalglish have much pedigree in defending a flank (Simeone would be a better fit there IMO). Catch 22 really - Brehme needs to be pressed so he doesn't have free reign to playmake, but Gento forces full-backs to defend uber-deep. And then Rivaldo floating into the inside left channel, it's some mix.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Probably a lot of cancelling out through the spine given the robustness of Matthaus and Schweinsteiger ahead of Figueroa no less.
I was also impressed by Rivaldo's defensive workrate & physical impact in the first Dead Drafters game. No idea if that was the norm for him, but if it was, he'd be a serious factor harassing Skizzo's deeper CMs.

GodShaveTheQueen

Congratulations @2mufc0 , you won the game.

Congratulations @Skizzo , you won hearts by changing your formation and playing in the spirit of the round

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Thanks @Skizzo , hope they aren't making you work too hard!