Could Bruno break the PL record for goals from midfield?

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He is already doing that, but we have at least 2 ball hogging forwards playing every match. Would be a different story if he played with Kane or Haaland, or may be we should start Cavani.
You are joking here? Martial and Rashford are pretty selfless and get plenty of assists between them. I don't understand how you can then use Haaland as an example of getting assist considering he's about as greedy for goals as any forward in world football.

UpWithRivers

He might have to stop allowing others to take penalties. Not that I think he should. It helps the team overall if others are allowed to take them but from a record chasing perspective then he might have to. We got what 14 pens last season? And there is no guarantee we will get that many this season. He might miss one or two so he needs to take at least 12 of them.

cyberman

He might have to stop allowing others to take penalties. Not that I think he should. It helps the team overall if others are allowed to take them but from a record chasing perspective then he might have to. We got what 14 pens last season? And there is no guarantee we will get that many this season. He might miss one or two so he needs to take at least 12 of them.
We have 6 already this season, already half way there and a fraction into out season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s possible. I think he’ll end the league season with about 15 goals and 15 assists, though.

Raw

It's nice that it's certainly possible but I think he'll fall just short. I think that in a team that attacks better against the crap teams he'd easily achieve it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I love it when rivals call him Penandes. It shows how envious they are of him.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
le tissier got 25 (in 38 games... he missed 4 through injury) in 1993-1994 ... was more of a 10 like bruno / lamps than a striker ... not sure how many were pens
Edit 5 pens and 20 from open play

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
le tissier got 25 (in 38 games... he missed 4 through injury) in 1993-1994 ... was more of a 10 like bruno / lamps than a striker ... not sure how many were pens
Edit 5 pens and 20 from open play
While mainly a 10 he did play several games as a striker in a front 2. Doesn’t count. No matter how high up the pitch they are Lampard & Bruno have never officially played a game up front.

Number32

You are joking here? Martial and Rashford are pretty selfless and get plenty of assists between them. I don't understand how you can then use Haaland as an example of getting assist considering he's about as greedy for goals as any forward in world football.
I mean they keep the ball for too long with a lot of touch before making any decision. It's hard to make a late run with that type of strikers.

Sorry, we have a different understanding here.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
How many games did it take Ruud to get to 50 goals? Wondering if he could break that. 21 in 35 as it stands.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Drogba sometimes took our penalties, but not often.

As someone alluded to earlier Lampard's penalties amounted to 32 out of his 177 goals = 18%
Bruno's current PL tally is 7 penalties out of 14 scored = 50%

I think Fernandes is a fantastic player but there is no doubt his stats are hugely boosted by the penalties.

Member 113277

I think it is quite possible that Bruno will beat the record. Why?

- taking penalties will be a potenially significant source of goals in a season covered by VAR, in a team with lighting fast forwards who draw fouls in the box
- he's a class player and finishes like a forward in the box, as well as having a good shot from outside it

But forget the record and the penalties, when was the last time we had a midfielder who scored 15 goals plus in a season? Not so long ago, actually, in 2018-19, when Pogba was the club top scorer with 16 in all competitions, 13 in the league.

We are still not scoring enough goals - if we can get the flow from the forwards going again, then Bruno will be like having an extra striker in his contribution and that will make a difference.