Could City be Pep's undoing?

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose
I would love to see Pep fail miserably at city. For obvious reasons (city disgust me on many levels) and because he has had a relatively easy ride so far.

Shimo

It could be but, also it could be the move that elevates him. There are question marks to me over how good he really is in that at Barca and Bayern he's had two teams that have not had to slug it out in a domestic league week in and week out and having those teams and that advantage in Europe has meant he's been able to do well in the CL as well.

At City, he is going to have a really challenge in balancing it all, the media scrutiny when things don't go well for him, the intensity of Premier league race, even the domestic competitions and then there is no the no winter break which does take getting used to. Not to mention he is going to be under enormous pressure to deliver CL success.

So, yes it could be his undoing but, there is lot less of a chance that than him succeeding.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Big Sam, Pardiola, Pulis and Big Jose (if he takes over here) will wind him to the point he takes another sabbatical.

Can see Pardew getting under his skin quite a bit

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Big Sam, Pardiola, Pulis and Big Jose (if he takes over here) will wind him to the point he takes another sabbatical.

Can see Pardew getting under his skin quite a bit
Big Sam'll be in the Championship next season, won't be doing much ruffling from there.

JoaquinJoaquin

It's going to be hard to word this without sounding bitter about Pep going to City, But in a way I hope it all collapses for him when he is at the club (not just because it's City), solely for the reason that he continues to take the 'easiest' option.
There is going to be a job that he takes in which it doesn't all work to plan, and I think City could well be it. The squad is good, but it is ageing and needs possibly revamped, Plus we have seen from our own squad what can happen when you bring so many new faces in at once.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You telling me that game won't be funny? Big Sam is hilarious. I'm not implying for a second he's a better manager just Big Sam's quotes will be amazing.
Sunderland vs City, funny? No, it'll be 0-5 on every occassion. There's nothing remotely interesting about Big, Fat, Tall, Giant Sam.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's going to be hard to word this without sounding bitter about Pep going to City, But in a way I hope it all collapses for him when he is at the club (not just because it's City), solely for the reason that he continues to take the 'easiest' option.
There is going to be a job that he takes in which it doesn't all work to plan, and I think City could well be it. The squad is good, but it is ageing and needs possibly revamped, Plus we have seen from our own squad what can happen when you bring so many new faces in at once.
Surely 'the easiest option' would have been continuing with Barca or Bayern?

And anyway what manager refuses top jobs to settle for something else?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Dude... come out of your closet. This act is ridiculous.
It's close to the equivalent of, "Messi would struggle on a cold, rainy Tuesday night at Stoke", only people seem to believe this one. Unless they're really taking the piss.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Surely 'the easiest option' would have been continuing with Barca or Bayern?

And anyway what manager refuses top jobs to settle for something else?
I bet you that on an Accrington Stanley forum they're slating Guardiola for going the easy route, and not offering to manage them.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He's quite good at winding people up which is amusing
True, but then so was Mourinho...and Guardiola regularly dispatched of his far, far better sides regularly. Granted, I'm sure he'll experience some frustrating results against Allardyce and their ilk...especially away from home, considering how average City seem to be on the road, but it's unlikely to get at him too much.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
True, but then so was Mourinho...and Guardiola regularly dispatched of his far, far better sides regularly. Granted, I'm sure he'll experience some frustrating results against Allardyce and their ilk...especially away from home, considering how average City seem to be on the road, but it's unlikely to get at him too much.
I'm not talking about team performances or results - just Allardyce's ability to get under the skin of managers and fans alike. A violent draw or two against City would be more than enough for me to sit back with my beer and cackle. Guardiola would bite and bitter twitter would be very funny.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I'm not talking about team performances or results - just Allardyce's ability to get under the skin of managers and fans alike. A violent draw or two against City would be more than enough for me to sit back with my beer and cackle. Guardiola would bite and bitter twitter would be very funny.
Meh, he probably wouldn't care that much. He'll be annoyed, yeah, as anyone would be when they lose or draw a game they should be winning. But I don't think he'll be more annoyed than, say, Mourinho would be. Or Fergie was. Or Wenger. He's been hugely successful in his career thus far, but I'm sure he's had his fair share of upsets and disappointing results. And I'm sure Spain and Germany have managers who get under their opponents skin. It's hardly some unique feature to English football.

Shimo

There is so much wrong with the post, it's a classic case of over rating the premier league. If you watch Bayern regularly you would realize that the 6-0 results aren't about the quality of the opposition, not sure where this myth originated that premier league teams can defend better. I can assure you that if Bayern played in the Pl they would win just as easily and would win the league at a canter.
Maybe with their current squad, they would do just that but, thing is there will not be a club like Bayern in the Premier League in that they are the only game in town. By that I mean you are not going to have one club that can pick and choose the best players from every other club in the league whenever they want to. They've repeatedly plucked the best from even their closest rivals.

That's the point when it comes to Pep - at Bayern and at Barca, the clubs there have reign over their leagues and will get whomever they want. City are not going to have the luxury of getting the best players out of Arsenal, United, Spurs, Chelsea and even some of the other clubs whenever they feel like it. Then they still have to compete for the other top players that are yearning to go to Bayern, Madrid and Barca.

More so than anything, Pep is going to have to be able to challenge for the CL as well as the League and as I've said not only his City side will have to slug it out in the regular season which will in turn impact competing against the likes of Bayern, PSG, Madrid and Barca who will have just as much chance of doing well if not even more.

hobbers

No one thought Mourinho would collapse at Chelsea. And he is the most well-versed in winning of any manager with Prem experience.

Pep has no experience of the Premier League, and he's taking over a very lopsided squad with a few worldies and then relative shite beyond them. Yaya is leaving. Kompany is always injured. Aguero is always injured and seeing out his contract.

He's also been brought in primarily to make City competitive in Europe. In Spain and in Germany he could rest players for the walkover league games in preparation for CL games. You can't do that in the Prem. Managing a side that can dominate domestically while being at the very least on equal footing to the big dogs in Europe is a feat that hasn't been achieved since 2008, and for good reason.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Meh, he probably wouldn't care that much. He'll be annoyed, yeah, as anyone would be when they lose or draw a game they should be winning. But I don't think he'll be more annoyed than, say, Mourinho would be. Or Fergie was. Or Wenger. He's been hugely successful in his career thus far, but I'm sure he's had his fair share of upsets and disappointing results. And I'm sure Spain and Germany have managers who get under their opponents skin. It's hardly some unique feature to English football.
I was just being flippant. Back to the general for me I think.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He'll be fine. An alleged £400 million summer transfer kitty and players like Messi, Lawandowski, Pogba and Pique coming in will probably work out quite well for him.

It could be a very depressing summer :(

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
OT: taken from blue-moon forum -

Yaya could be a perfect centre back fo pep and would have the talent to take on the Boateng playmaker role...... Yaya could be the best passing centre back in football if he wanted.
I have visted a few forums including RAWK, blue-moon, goonersworld, shedend etc., but blue-moon seems to be the most vitriolic, repulsive forum I have ever come across. No good discussion, everyone seems to be drunk. RAWK is way better than that place.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
^ But Pep already did this with Yaya and I don't get the impression he was very happy with that role

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Yaya is gone in summer for sure, he's too lazy to play for a proper team now. Off to China/US I assume. Nobody else will pay his wages.

Adebesi

Could go either way to be honest. He may well be a success but it is not outlandish to suggest he might not actually improve them that much. As others have said his stint at Bayern does not really tell us that much given their domestic primacy and the debate continues to rage about exactly how much credit he deserves for what he achieved at Barca with an absolutely extraordinary squad of players.

I think he'll do well at City but I dont think they are going to become as invincible as some are suggesting. The advantage he has is that as well as being tactically astute and obviously very capable, he is probably the single manager most players would most want to play for. There is no evidence for that claim but it is the sense I have. So between the money and the manager, City have a big advantage in building their squad.

But on the other hand, English football is a bit different to what he is used to so he may find that a bit difficult - as Van Gaal obviously has. So there is certainly hope.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It is amazing how @Twigginater and co. act like EPL is such a strong league and that you need so much experience there to win it. Despite that, it gets opposed by a lot of things.

For example:
- Twigginater mentions Hernandez as the top scorer in Germany as something which tells bad about the quality of the league. But then the top scorer in EPL is fecking James Vardy who isn't fit to tie Hernandez's shoes.
- He mentions EPL rejects doing good in Bundesliga. But then the likes of Shaqiri (Bundesliga/Serie A reject), Bojan (La Liga/Serie A/Eredivisie reject), Pelle (Serie A/Eredivisie reject), Arnautovic (Serie A/Bundesliga reject) have been doing so well in the strong EPL that he mentioned (in other posts) how strong Stoke are.
- Leicester City are leading the league. Leicester City. United got eliminated for Wolvsburg who aren't even in Europa League zone.

But more importantly on the experience of managers:
- Mourinho won the title on his first season in England. He went to repeat it in the following season.
- Ancelotti won the title and the cup in his first season in England.
- Pellegrini won the title in his first season in England.
- Wenger won the title in his second season in England
- Mancini won the cup in his first season in England, and then the title the following season.
- On his second spell, Mourinho won the title in the second season.

But yep, it is so difficult to win the title for a manager without experience in England. Pep must be shitting himself.

For all the Caf is becoming RAWK which gets mentioned repeatedly here, posts like that and others which defy the logic ('I can't wait for us to be ahead of Pep's City next season'), are what makes Caf similar to RAWK. The baseless optimism which goes contrary to everything rational. Like when they were thinking that Rafa and their team will manage to be ahead of us the following season.
I used to think that football is nowadays played the same way all across the continent, that quality managers can easily move from lets say Germany or Spain to the EPL and do magnificently well, without no need to adapt etc. I still think that its not such a big hurdle if the manager in question is willing to adapt and has an idea of what the EPL is all about. However after what happened to LVG and Capello (national front) I would prefer having a quality manager (quality is more important than anything) that has EPL experience than an equivalent that doesn't, especially if the latter thinks that his 'philosophy' is the best thing since sliced bread and is reluctant to tweak it around.

In few words I'd rather have Maureen or even Pocchetino than lets say Allegri or Conte. Regarding Pep, well its tricky. His record is mind blowing, almost inhuman.