Could it be the case that Manchester United is up for sale?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Think about it

- No DOF signed.
- Hiring from within when possible
- A manager signed on a relatively low salary and on a short short contract
- An underwhelming transfer strategy
- All big names retained (DDG and Pogba)

This might indicate a non committal sort of attitude who will give potential buyers as much control on changing things up without the need to pay people non grata by the new administration too much money.

romufc

Or the owners really want to get as much money out the club before it goes pop.

devilish

Everything's for sale.
Ive seen this happening already when the Milanese clubs were up for sale. The old owners would refuse to spend more then it needed or go into long term commitments just in case they force potential new owners into commitments they didn't want to go into in the first place.

NinjaFletch

No I think we're just a mismanaged shambles. We'll penny pinch in certain areas (Herrera being one), but completely blow out in others.

Maguire for a world record fee and a 6+1 contract doesn't scream trying to avoid tying other peoples hands.

izzydiggler

Nah, it's just that transfer fees are so ridiculous, you could spend £300m to climb a place. May as well sit on it generating TV money and merch revenue whilst fans continue to buy tickets and the new shirt etc.

The only way they sell is if the money dries up...and with sellable assets like Pogba still available, it won't be soon.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yep, because obviously the best way to maximise the value of a football club is to run it like crap.

devilish

Or the owners really want to get as much money out the club before it goes pop.
that doesn't really make sense. Most of United's worth is built around intangible assets such as its brand name rather then on its tangible assets (ex football stadium). If the club isn't successful then the brand name suffers and its worth takes a hit.

Their best bet is to take United to the top and then sell. Since they had failed to do so then I think its only a matter of time before they sell off for a massive profit

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Ole is on more than Klopp and Poch. He's not on a small salary.
In fairness, it's probably worth it to keep a manager in who makes no demands of their board. Look at Poch, forcing Levy's hand and getting... top signings through the door.

JK I'm actually very excited for the new season

devilish

Yep, because obviously the best way to maximise the value of a football club is to run it like crap.
That's what I said in the previous post (please read it). Having said that, if a sale is imminent then its only fair for the seller to stay at the back and make sure not to force the new owners into commitment they might not want to make. Lets for example say, we sign Mourinho on a 7 year contract on ridiculous money. Then the new owner steps in and he happens to be obsessed with Pep Guardiola. The new owner will be forced not only to pay the huge amount of money needed to release Pep but also to get rid of Mourinho.

Tango80

A world record fee for a defender? Yeah, none committal alright.

romufc

that doesn't really make sense. Most of United's worth is built around intangible assets such as its brand name rather then on its tangible assets (ex football stadium). If the club isn't successful then the brand name suffers and its worth takes a hit.

Their best bet is to take United to the top and then sell. Since they had failed to do so then I think its only a matter of time before they sell off for a massive profit
We have had record profits for the last few seasons, biggest commercial deals. We have barely spent any money last 2 years, by that I dont mean just transfers, the stadium improvements also.

The owners know, they will get a very good fee if they sell and it doesnt matter if the team is 2nd of 6th. So rather than spending the money they getting now, they pocket it, and over the summer we have seen the glazers take out loan after loan on Manut's name. It won;t be up to them to pay the loan back, the new owners would have to.

devilish

A world record fee for a defender? Yeah, none committal alright.
True, but lets face it. The defence was embarrassing so adding a top CB although expensive to the mix is a no brainer. We also recouped most of the money anyway by selling Lukaku and Rojo

devilish

We have had record profits for the last few seasons, biggest commercial deals. We have barely spent any money last 2 years, by that I dont mean just transfers, the stadium improvements also.

The owners know, they will get a very good fee if they sell and it doesnt matter if the team is 2nd of 6th. So rather than spending the money they getting now, they pocket it, and over the summer we have seen the glazers take out loan after loan on Manut's name. It won;t be up to them to pay the loan back, the new owners would have to.
So we both agree that the club is probably on sale?

romufc

So we both agree that the club is probably on sale?
I don't think it is yet, I hope it is. I can see this dragging like the Newcastle deal where owners want something that no one will offer. And what will suffer? brand name.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
:lol:

OP, you put too much faith in the current regime. They are incompetent, plain and simple. SAF kept them and this club afloat due to his genius.

devilish

I don't think it is yet, I hope it is. I can see this dragging like the Newcastle deal where owners want something that no one will offer. And what will suffer? brand name.
Well, no one wants Newcastle though. Its a relatively small club, with fans that think that their club is Real Madrid who would turn against anyone who doesn't show that level of commitment to the cause. United is a top top club.

Revan

Assumptionman
Indeed. And if we go full caricature, the evil Glazers are not spending money cause they are using all the money in hookers and cocaine, cause as we all know, the money of a club is either spent on transfers or ends at the pockets of the owners.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's what I said in the previous post (please read it). Having said that, if a sale is imminent then its only fair for the seller to stay at the back and make sure not to force the new owners into commitment they might not want to make. Lets for example say, we sign Mourinho on a 7 year contract on ridiculous money. Then the new owner steps in and he happens to be obsessed with Pep Guardiola. The new owner will be forced not only to pay the huge amount of money needed to release Pep but also to get rid of Mourinho.
This explains making Maguire the most expensive defender of all time, and arguably (likely) the most paid defender in the league!

devilish

This explains making Maguire the most expensive defender of all time, and arguably (likely) the most paid defender in the league!
I've answered to that already

True, but lets face it. The defence was embarrassing so adding a top CB although expensive to the mix is a no brainer. We also recouped most of the money anyway by selling Lukaku and Rojo

romufc

Well, no one wants Newcastle though. Its a relatively small club, with fans that think that their club is Real Madrid who would turn against anyone who doesn't show that level of commitment to the cause. United is a top top club.
Is it? a top top club commercially ?

I am no expert in this but I can imagine buying United who are in the stock exchange will be alot more complicated than buying Newcastle.

It could take years before the club is bought. As of yet, we don't even know if the club is for sale?

Just because we have no DoF and under spending. Might be that the owners do not care about football. they are content with money being made.

United_We_Stand

Missing out on CL with the ensuing damage to the club brand/value is much worse for the owners than forking out extra 75m this summer. So the answer is no. They are just doing a Kroenke.

We'll soon start reading more clickbait stories in the Sun and co about the "Saudi takeover", but I highly doubt Saudis are/have been interested at all.

JoaquinJoaquin

They will stay until they have milked the club completely, so at least another 3-4 years.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
I for one welcome our new Saudi overlords.
Saudis are probably the least likely country on earth to invest in the Premier League at this current moment given the ongoing piracy row.