Could Rashford become United's all time goalscorer?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's just turned 21, and unless something drastic happens, will stay at the club his whole career. It'll be a tough ask, because Rooney at this stage in his career has scored more but it's sort of doable.

Revan

Assumptionman
Cannot see it happening. I actually think that going forward he will have more an "Ole role" rather than being our main striker.

Marcelinho87

Needs to stick up top and stop dropping so deep for it to ever happen, he will burn himself out and it could lead to injuries.

JohnnyKills

He's got all the tools. With the amount of games they play these days, he'll have plenty of opportunities as well.

Snafu17

A few months ago people were calling him a championship striker. He's still young, he'll still likely hit poor patches. Just cool it and give him some time to develop.

tenpoless

Can We shut up when it comes into over hyping our own players? :lol:

Haven't We learned anything? Cleverley was to be the next Paul Scholes, Janujaz the next Ryan Giggs, Jones the next Duncan Edwards, the list goes on. Rashford is very, very good based on the last several matches. But let's not over hype him or any other players.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He's just turned 21, and unless something drastic happens, will stay at the club his whole career. It'll be a tough ask, because Rooney at this stage in his career has scored more but it's sort of doable.
We will find out in about 12 or so years.
Wayne Rooney scored lots of goals early on in his career then dropped off.

Marcus Rashford is still learning the game and may not necessarily be an out and out goalscorer as the game is changing rapidly.
He has the most important attribute and that is pace.

Key to this is whether Rashford remains a United player, which I am sure that he will.
Long may his form continue.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Highly unlikely. However prolific he is at this stage of his career, Rooney also started his patch for us only at 18 years old and he was a bigger talent than Rashford. Also, there was a reason why Charlton’s record stood for so long. Rashford has to get 100% out of his career, which is already close to impossible, to even stood a chance of achieving it.

I would love it if he does though.

buckooo1978

honestly a few months ago I was worried about Rashford- he seemed to be a kick and run merchant at times. We weren't really sure about his role in the team and Lukaku was undroppable

he has developed so much the last 6 weeks though and I've high hopes for him. His strength, pace, determination and now under Ole, his finishing suggests he could become a powerful striker - that finish yesterday was Ruud Van Nistelrooy level finishing

early days for the kid and who knows what way his career will take him. Rooney could have scored 350 had he played as a 9. Rashford also works hard for the team but don't see him playing the same roles Rooney did

United Pro

It'll be very difficult as he'll need consistency across another decade - close to 25 goals a season average for 10 years.

Raw

Rooney has 253 goals. Rashford has 41. He will need another 212 goals.

If he can last another 10 years scoring ~21 goals a season he can. It could be done, especially if he has some seasons where he scores more (but he could also have seasons with less). It's difficult to say at this point really.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Can we bear in mind that he's still only got 9 goals this year?

He's in a real purple patch at the minute under Ole but he's not a prolific striker.

Quit the hype and just enjoy him in the present instead of building him up for failure in the future.

Banat

I don't think so as he is not a typical poacher. He can become a player with most appearances more likely.

Dante

Average bang
He needs 158 to match Rooney.

Assuming he stays at the club, doesn't suffer from extended injury lay-offs, remains close to the starting lineup throughout his entire time here, and doesn't have a huge drop-off in his late twenties - it's possible.

20 goals per season until the age of 29 will be enough. I don't think that's shooting for the moon.

But meeting all the criteria in my second paragraph is a big ask.

Having said that, he seems like a more natural athlete than Rooney, so who knows? Whilst I don't foresee him having weight issues like Wazza, burnout will be a very real concern. Generally speaking, leaner players last longer in the game than muscular ones. It might depend on how he fills out over the next 5 years.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Lots of ifs and buts. Would rather avoid this debate until he's 24/25.

clarkydaz

Rooney was allowed to crawl over the line to the record, Rashford will have to be a great player to stay here all his career

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Can We shut up when it comes into over hyping our own players?
Rashford is ridiculously underrated on here most of the time. Plenty of people willing to say he isn't good enough whenever he doesn't have a good game, despite him being 21.

I don't think he's the same as Cleverly or Januzaj at all. He makes differences in games and he's got an arrogance and self belief about how he plays.

He also gets into double figures with goals every year despite until not starting regularly and usually not playing as a striker when he has started, so the idea he can get 20+ goals a season is far from unrealistic even taking him as the player he is now. He is already doing what you would expect from a big money signing so I don't think there is much to worry about with him.

Obviouslu reaching the heights of Phil Jones is another matter but miracles can happen

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Will need to become a much better scorer of easy finishes and typical box runs to do so, unless he becomes an amazing finisher from middle-distance.

To tally so high, you need a lot of bread and butter goals: headers, tap-ins, cut across the near post finishes, scrambles.

Rashford is young and learning (yong and lernin), plus we use him so exhaustively away from goal. He would also have to be the main forward (note not striker, as neither Rooney nor Charlton were that for any extended period of their careers) here who wards of any £100m+ challenger for his position on the market. On top of that, he would have to remain relatively injury free, further to that, he'd have to be a mainstay in the side for over a decade.

There's a lot of hurdles there to overcome to get anywhere close to Rooney's record. I don't know if he has the base talent level to match Charlton's record - when Rooney was on the up, it was agreed he had talent to an all-time potential, which nobody has said anything like the same with Rashford, thus far. In looking at the two aforementioned top-scorer holders, you're talking about players who are right at the top of the tree for talent that has ever come out of England with Rooney always being Charlton's natural successor. Rashford really would have to kick on to be in such esteemed company.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'd wait before he is hitting at least 20-25 goals in a season to suggest that...

youmeletsfly

He needs at least 1-2 seasons where he can get 15-20 goals for us to even begin the discussion about him being our top scorer.

He might beat Giggsy's appearance tally though, already played 150 games and barely turned 21 last September.

Dante

Average bang
Got 7 goals as an 18 year old; 7 goals as a 19 year old; 10 goals as a 20 year old; and is currently on 9 goals as a 21 year old just over halfway through the season having only recently moved into the striker position.

The kid is clearly on an upward trajectory.

Calling for patience defeats the purpose of a thread like this. It's intended to stoke silly conjecture and pointless predictions. That's the fun of it.

We could all get wiped out by a meteor tomorrow. I still want to talk about the next match.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Too many uncertain variables for me, with Rooney you knew exactly what you were getting, 15-20 goals a season with one or two outliers (30+). Rashford's doing well at the moment, but until we see him play a full season as first choice striker then it's hard to say. Rashford could be a 10 goal a season striker or a 30 goal a season striker. You also have to be an excellent player for your entire career to make it here as long as Rooney/Charlton did, remains to be seen whether this is a purple patch or he's gone up a level.

OverratedOpinion

Yep. Probably won't though just based on the fact that we have had loads of incredible attacking players who didn't but he could do. He might suffer from his own versatility at times with different managers. Rooney also experienced this but he was a very special player, people underestimate how special he was in my opinion.

TsuWave

Rooney also started his patch for us only at 18 years old and he was a bigger talent than Rashford.
Was he? I think Rooney was more precocious (developed earlier), but i'm not entirely convinced he was a bigger talent than Rashford, I mean, Rashford seems better to me technically (dribbling, skills, ability to beat defenders), Rashford seems faster too, Rooney was probably a better finisher but still

(for transparency purposes, i never thought rooney was an amazing player and think media overhyped his talents, especially early on, i do recognise him as one of our greats though)

superdry

touched by a genius
I can see Rashfords body standing the test of time better than Rooney, so he could have a little more longevity.

Minimalist

Anything's possible. Would be a bit daft to rule it out given he could turn into a goal machine for all we know.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Was he? I think Rooney was more precocious (developed earlier), but i'm not entirely convinced he was a bigger talent than Rashford, I mean, Rashford seems better to me technically (dribbling, skills, ability to beat defenders), Rashford seems faster too, Rooney was probably a better finisher but still
Rooney at 18 was a better player than Rashford is now at 21. I think you are underrating how good Rooney was or you have forgotten which is fair enough as it is 15 years ago.

Rashford is a great young player but Rooney was something else entirely.

Minimalist

Rooney at 18 was a better player than Rashford is now at 21. I think you are underrating how good Rooney was or you have forgotten which is fair enough as it is 15 years ago.

Rashford is a great young player but Rooney was something else entirely.
Rooney definitely was. Hence why people always thought he would make a great attacking midfielder if not a striker. We were wrong about that but the point is, he was more than just a striker when he burst on to the scene.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I’m reading some ridiculous nonsense on here regarding Rashford. He’s looking better with every single game. He’s got it all and he’ll be our main striker for the next 10 years if he keeps developing as he currently is and stays injury free. Fingers crossed.

stu_1992

He can certainly be right up there all going well. Rooney may have started younger, but he tailed off. Plus if you compare Rashford with someone like Kane, his numbers are far better at this age hut it also shows that a player can have a huge upturn in productivity.