Could Rashford become United's all time goalscorer?

Loublaze

ATLien
Can We shut up when it comes into over hyping our own players? :lol:

Haven't We learned anything? Cleverley was to be the next Paul Scholes, Janujaz the next Ryan Giggs, Jones the next Duncan Edwards, the list goes on. Rashford is very, very good based on the last several matches. But let's not over hype him or any other players.
At this point you cannot compare Rashford to Cleverly or Januzaj, he's surpassed them and is an established first team player and regular starter. Rashford is also now a recognized striker and will get way more minutes in this position so fitness allowed (and if he stays at the club long enough) he has every chance to go for Rooneys record

Karlos PFC

Hugely overated player. Everyone is "promoting" Rash cause he's a) english and b) local boy.

he's not even at the same level as Martial is.
Cant see this happening. Rooney at his age was already world class, and as another pointed out Charlton's record stood for so long for a reason

Last edited by a moderator:

United58

The great thing about him is that he seems very eager to listen and learn - I've no doubt that Ole's experience as a striker has helped him immensely.

I don't think he'll break the record but, given how he's currently performing at just 21, I think/hope he'll be a brilliant player for us. Undroppable atm

haram

Yesterday he was a kick and run merchant, today he’ll surpass Wayne Rooney.

Treble

Let's hope so. Early days though. He should first cement his place in the starting XI. Which isn't a given.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
That takes Rashford up to the age of 31, averaging 19.4 goals per season (about 1 in every 3 games).
Now look at the PL records on consecutive X-goalscoring seasons and tell me if this is realistic:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He will first need to prove to be our undisputed first team forward for the next decade almost.

Clearly he’s capable of it and he should only be improving year on year. But it’s way too early to tell.

BlueHaze

I don't think so to be honest. We all know there is big potential in Marcus but look at Rooney when he was the same age, he was a complete monster.

Dante

Average bang
Now look at the PL records on consecutive X-goalscoring seasons and tell me if this is realistic:
Averages allow you to score more one year and less the next. Consecutive records don't give the full picture.

Also, you're only looking at PL goals. Rooney's record is across all competitions.

Also, Rashford has made a freakishily early start to his goalscoring exploits. He's ahead of the curve against almost anybody else in history. It'll take a lot of luck to maintain that trajectory, but the point is that he's on course.

Also, the hope is that Rashford can be a one club man. 283 goals over a career is not easy but it is doable if he fulfils his potential and remains relatively injury free.

Lots of "if"s, but it can be done.

lysglimt

Scout
He is good enough to be a regular with us for 12-13 years. Can he score over 20 goals each season - naturally. Is it likely - no.

Dante

Average bang
The bottom line is this: can Rashford become one of the best few strikers in the world?

If 'yes', then you have to consider that the best strikers in the world score about 300 club goals over the course of their careers (at least the ones that stay relatively injury free). That's enough to better Rooney.

This isn't a thread about whether he will, because nobody knows that. It's about whether he can, in light of the potential he's thus far shown.

DBT85

Out of interest, does anyone think Kane WONT at least get close to Shearers PL record?

8 more goals and he halfway there.

Rashford in a team that's attacking and creating chances can bag plenty of goals in all comps.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Yesterday he was a kick and run merchant, today he’ll surpass Wayne Rooney.
It's almost as if two different groups of people are capable of holding two different opinions eh.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Rooney has the benefit of playing in one of the best teams ever for a few years. However he was often in the shadow of Ronaldo. I can easily see Rashford become as prolific as Ronaldo and get some crazy 30 goals a season.

The way Rashford develops is Ronaldo like. You can tell he trains like a mad man and is completely obsessed at mastering the sport. There’s really no limit for him.

If we were looking at a player with god given talent and were wondering how far then this would be a different question. But in this case it’s his work ethic that you cannot deny. Nothing will stop him from Rooney’s record fingers crossed

Trizy

His finishing isn't actually that good so no.

As I mentioned in another thread he missed 10 1v1s in a row before he scored one recently.

He's playing very well but easy on the over hype.

macheda14

Cannot see it happening. I actually think that going forward he will have more an "Ole role" rather than being our main striker.
After the last 6 games you see hum
His finishing isn't actually that good so no.

As I mentioned in another thread he missed 10 1v1s in a row before he scored one recently.

He's playing very well but easy on the over hype.
It’s almost like he has a ex-striker coaching him on how to finish

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
At one point I feared he'd turn into Welbeck with his finishing but he's developing. If he continues to work on his free-kicks and takes penalties he's got every chance but there's a long way to go and he needs to be in a good team which I think helped Rooney, dominating league games and going far into champions league.

0le

He isn't as good as Rooney at the same age, but if he is better able to maintain his form once he reaches his late twenties/ early thirties, then he is in with a shout. It is interesting that like Rooney, he is also being asked to sometimes play on the wings to help the team, something which both players did(do) without moaning.

Red Devil Rising

If he's with us for the next 10 year's, and he hits 22 goals a season in all competitions per season, he will.

Doesn't seem that unlikely when you look at it that way, providing he does become the main man up top.

Last edited:

Unlikely but not impossible.

Two months ago he was a Championship player to some, fast forward to now and others are claiming he's going to be our next Ronaldo.

In reality he's somewhere in between. He's fast, strong, gets all over the pitch and has reasonable skill levels and a good shot. However he doesn't have the greatest technical ability and he has struggled with keeping his head up when on the ball and making the right decision. He has some excellent attributes but he's still got to learn a few things and...crucially...learn to consistently score goals. If he does that, then its possible. He's got the head start.

I think some fans forget/never saw, but Rooney was a monster when he was young. Rashford will have to become some player to beat him.

Mike Smalling

Lots of ifs. He would need to continue playing as the main front man, remain fit most of the time and it wouldn't hurt if he started taking penalties. Also, it would be important that we continue to play attacking and free-flowing football.

Would of course be delighted it he did it, however it may be too much to ask for.

Jeffthered

Steady on. Let's see him through a season first. He has the right manager / coach to help him though. Focus on his goalscoring instincts and requirements.

But he could be, could be, one helluva player. Left foot to be developed (look at Harry Kane.. his left side is devastating, and that's through training..), and he needs to really enhance his aerial game. But he is young and I am sure (I really hope.... ) Ole and Phelan are really keen to continue to work with him.

Revan

Assumptionman
After the last 6 games you see hum
I didn't think that he is a bad player when he wasn't playing well, neither I think now that he is a Mbappe level of talent. It is called not being a knee jerk.

Dante

Average bang
It's not 'kneejerk' if you've rated Rashford for a long time.

But it is 'stubborness' if you refuse to change your mind as evidence mounts against your initial position.

Eric's Seagull

A couple of months ago I would have said no.
There are a lot of if's. If he stays relatively injury free, if he becomes 20+ goal average player (although it doesn't have to be exactly 20 every season as Rooney proved), if he stays at United for next 10 years etc. Although there are lots of factors going against him breaking the record if everything goes soundly there is a chance to do it although I think it is going to be hard but not impossible.

I would like to see him do it and really hope he does it and stays for a long time and does really well here, as I want to see all our players doing well.

beedoubleyou

:nervous:

Taking the meaning of a surgical finisher to another level...
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HA! I know get the replies!

Okay, this forum needs to work out why it's the ONLY PLACE ON THE ENTIRE INTERNET where you can't use THE MOST POPULAR MOBILE PLATFORM without these bizarre auto-corrects.

cyberman

Why not? His pace and power will get him into a lot of goal scoring positions.
I do feel if he was called Rashfordinho and played in Europe he would be given a lot more leeway than he's been given right now. especially at 21.

edcunited1878

Was he? I think Rooney was more precocious (developed earlier), but i'm not entirely convinced he was a bigger talent than Rashford, I mean, Rashford seems better to me technically (dribbling, skills, ability to beat defenders), Rashford seems faster too, Rooney was probably a better finisher but still

(for transparency purposes, i never thought rooney was an amazing player and think media overhyped his talents, especially early on, i do recognise him as one of our greats though)
You're clearly understating how class Rooney was when he was 18 into his early 20s.

Wazza could dribble past players just like Rashford, but had better composure to pick a pass or score a goal. He bullied players due to his strength and stature. And he played so well for his teammates if he wasn't amongst the goals or assists.

DBT85

Rashford still has at minimum 13 PL games, 2 CL games and 1 FA cup (16 total) games to play this season where he turned age 21. With that note in mind here are some charts.

The top 5 youngest to 100 + Shearer

As you can see, Rashford has started slower than some of peers when age adjusted, though he still sits 1 goal ahead of Kane at the same age and only needs 7 more to match Lukaku. Rashford still has 13 games in hand for this season to add to that tally. Rashford has also been played away from CF unlike his peers Its also evident that the teams his peers were playing in were scoring more goals than United have been for the last 4 years.

Also. Shearer was beast mode.

Rooney v Rashford for United, by age.

When comparing these two, you can see that Rashford is currently 18 goals behind Rooney at this age. He does still have at minimum 16 games to play. If we're generous and say he nets 1 in 2, he ends the season 10 goals behind Rooneys total. By no means an insurmountable feat over the next decade given that Rooney only ever hit 20+ goals in all competitions 4 times in a United career spanning 13 years, a fact I still find incredible for the clubs leading ever goal scorer.

If Rashford can stay fit and we continue to play actual football and score goals, he can definitely do it. It's a long road though. Two things in his favour are that his career should go on longer than Rooneys, and he's possibly a one team man.

Rooneys best seasons were the two in which he turned 24 and 26 in which he scored 34 goals. After those two, he only managed 16,19,14,15,& 8 goals in all comps for us in a final season aged 31.