Could the Leicester result be a critical turning point or a false dawn?

HowieC

Well technically its either one or the other... so yes ...

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah. Apparently one team playing poorly has nothing to do with other team forcing them mistakes or shutting them. it's as if we are talking about peak Barca team.
Yeah, I think we deserve credit for limiting a good attacking team to, what, one decent chance? That Maddison one de Gea saved.

A lot of us - myself included - may not have thought we played well with the ball but defensively we did a very good job.

Cloud7

Neither. We’re just following the trend of how things have gone in the entire pre SAF era. We’re crap all the time. Sometimes we’re crap and we win, sometimes we’re crap and we lose. This is just our norm these days. It’s neither a false dawn nor a turning point.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, I think we deserve credit for limiting a good attacking team to, what, one decent chance? That Maddison one de Gea saved.

A lot of us - myself included - may not have thought we played well with the ball but defensively we did a very good job.
Yeah, I don't think we played well but defensively we were good. It was just 2 teams who barely created anything and cancelled each other out.

El Zoido

Why is every game of ours either a “critical turning point or false dawn”. This is why we suffer, this kind of pressure is impossible.

Greck

It's nothing but a reminder that Pogba is not inperative for you to get adequate results. In fact, you are no better with him than without him. More creative, less solid. Adds up the same.

Sums of parts, and all that...
Couldn't disagree more. Pogba accounts for our best chances and half chances created even when we don't win. Take away yesterday's pen and we're struggling to remember any opportunity worth noting. Don't get why everything has to have a Pogba narrative. He can't carry a team but he definitely makes it better

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Yeah, I don't think we played well but defensively we were good. It was just 2 teams who barely created anything and cancelled each other out.
How then did you force us to regularly misplace the most basic passes into midfield? How did you cause us to be so slow and ponderous on the ball when there were the most obvious forward passes to be made if we had only the slightest self-belief? How did you cause the likes of Gray to consistently get into promising space only to completely fluff their lines every time?

Presumably your squad has been practising their telekenetic abilities?

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
We have not had much to cheer over the past few weeks but football fans are nothing if not eternal optimists - it is our default.
Have you been on this forum before? The prevailing feeling for the past few months has not just been utter doom and gloom, people have gone to the extent of absolutely castigating anyone for daring to say anything positive at all.

Greck

Problem is OGS doesn't have a good midfield to adopt a more creative style, so he resorted to being a shit José Mourinho.
Narrow wins, lots of draws and bitter losses is what we're gonna look at all season long, unless the January window is very good (and I don't think it will be).
I don't buy this. A manager doesn't pause his tactical philosophy till he gets x amount of signings. He starts building the template from day 1 to at least get a better idea of which fringe players might or might not fit. Basically give Klopp, Pep or even a LVG the Leicester team or any other mid table team and they'll still try and implement their respective philosophies. Reality is Ole likely doesn't have one.

roonster09

Scout
How then did you force us to regularly misplace the most basic passes into midfield? How did you cause us to be so slow and ponderous on the ball when there were the most obvious forward passes to be made if we had only the slightest self-belief? How did you cause the likes of Gray to consistently get into promising space only to completely fluff their lines every time?

Presumably your squad has been practising their telekenetic abilities?
How did any team force team to misplace the passes? By blocking the even more obvious passing lanes, putting pressure on the player in possession. You were slow and ponderous maybe because opposition team shut the options, so your players looked clueless on the pitch.

Players getting into promising space and fluffing is something that happens regularly, maybe your players are not as good as you think.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The arrogance of these Leicester fans that joined over the summer is something else!
Are they still hanging about? Thought they pretty much all disappeared when we finally sealed Maguire?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Put it this way: the way Leicester played yesterday was about the standard of a 15th placed Premier League team, so somehow fumbling past us 1-0 is not something to write home about.
We'll take that with 3 key players out.

Maybe it'll be a worry for you when you have Vardy, Maddison and Chilwell out for a game if that was a performance with everyone playing.

GenZRed

False dawn, obviously.

Need I remind anyone of the Cheksea game at the start of the season?

Al-T

Neither. Just another serving of what we've seen these last six years.

Can't see a single aspect of that game that suggests it will lead to displays of coruscating attacking brilliance and its sweeping teams aside.

We were quite compact and well enough organised. We won a penalty, scored and were marginally better than another side of similar qualities.

That's it really.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
How did any team force team to misplace the passes? By blocking the even more obvious passing lanes, putting pressure on the player in possession. You were slow and ponderous maybe because opposition team shut the options, so your players looked clueless on the pitch.

Players getting into promising space and fluffing is something that happens regularly, maybe your players are not as good as you think.
I'm not talking about hypothetical scenarios where a team's nullification can force the opposition into playing beneath themselves, I'm talking about yesterday's game where we made mistakes from absolutely zero influence by you. For example Tielemans does not have a first touch as bad as Lukaku yet somehow channelled his gone but not forgotten spirit the entire match, Chilwell and Pereira are not so bad that they repeatedly cannot trap a simple ball before it goes out for a throw in, Maddison is not such a heavy drinker that he regularly plays the ball into black holes. We aren't talking about mistakes that could be caused by your post's mentionings, we are talking about ones simply caused by a very bad performance for which our players are solely accountable.

Whether I think our players are better than they are or better than yourselves is irrelevant, the point is you can get no more excited about scraping yesterday than you could have if we were Sheffield United.

Last edited:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Could we maybe instead not make it either of those? It doesn't have to be anything other than a win. Then we worry about the next match.

Green_Red

1 game at a time. Lets hope our lads just focus on winning the next game and dont put any value ontoday other than it was 3 points in the bag. Wining the next is all we need to worry about.

roonster09

Scout
I'm not talking about hypothetical scenarios where a team's nullification can force the opposition into playing beneath themselves, I'm talking about yesterday's game where we made mistakes from absolutely zero influence by you. For example Tielemans does not have a first touch as bad as Lukaku yet somehow channelled his gone but not forgotten spirit the entire match, Chilwell and Pereira are not so bad that they repeatedly cannot trap a simple ball before it goes out for a throw in, Maddison is not such a heavy drinker that he regularly plays the ball into black holes. We aren't talking about mistakes that could be caused by your post's mentionings, we are talking about ones simply caused by a very bad performance for which our players are solely accountable.

Whether I think our players are better than they are or better than yourselves is irrelevant, the point is you can get no more excited about scraping yesterday than you could have if we were Sheffield United.
Whatever you posted are mistakes that are common and happens when players are not as good as you think. Maybe they were nervous playing away game vs top 6 team. TBH Leicester players looked clueless on the pitch.

Anyways I'm not excited, it's not as if we beat peak Barca team. It's just Leicester.

manunited1919

It’s a long season. We need to achieve consistency first of all. The players who are injured need to come back and perform at a high level, and Ole needs to drop Lingard for good.

Gator Nate

Neither.

The season's not been a disaster so far, we're level on points with Spurs, solidly in the top-4 mix and two missed penalties away from challenging the noisy neighbours for 2nd.

We all knew it was going to be a challenging season, but project "clear the dead wood" is going well and the foundations are being laid for pushing on next summer.
I'll just stop after this one. Perfectly correct in my opinion. It's one game, and we won it. At least we didn't pull a City this week.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
As some of the players have said, its a multi-year plan. Chop off the deadwood now to allow us flexibility in the following seasons.

We also cant afford to play the aggressive, expansive style of football that the top clubs are doing --- yet.

With the players that we have, both inexperienced and short in numbers in certain departments, we will have to play a counter-attacking style for now. And trying to bed in younger players.

It's like rebuilding a house, one room at a time. Ole is being practical/pragmatic and taking it a step and a time. And another layer of complexity next season.

So is this the turning point, no. There will be a bunch of highs and lows along the way as they are learning to play the way Ole wants. But I do expect us to get more fluid and marginally better and the season progresses.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
These threads are exhausting, it's really selling hope with no substance. These are the kinds of observations you should make much further after the fact rather than before the very next game.Could it be a turning point? Maybe. Could aliens land tomorrow? Sure.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There will be turning point (for better or worse), but we would not know when and which until a good long time after.

Games will be lost/won/drawn all season, nothing special.

That robbin goal that saved SAF was probably viewed as his dead man bounce at the time, nobody expected it to be the turning point. So... we will never know for a while

Decomposing In Paris

That's not how our players will see it. They'll feel that they were better than the opposition and won, whereas there've been games this season where they've been better and we haven't.

It's going to have to be a game where the opposition is clearly stronger than us, but a solid system and a few individual moments of quality wins us the game... or some genuine consistency like 5 wins in a row.

Morpheus 7

It's neither, we beat a team that didn't play great. We will beat bigger teams than Leicester but drop points against lower opposition. It's looking to be like our team, inconsistent. We need way more players in to truly improve. This is the beginning of a new transition, going to be a frustrating this season. Let's hope we sneak a Champions league place and improve the depth in the next two windows, I doubt the change will be quick.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's neither, this season is one of growth for you and you can see it, the team average age has dropped, the style is high press and fast transitions and you can see it clearly. Your two penalties away from a 2nd/3rd place and equal with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal and only 2 behind City.

Ole's team is developing and it's developing well, this is just another step down that road

Shimo

Neither, just another league game. We have a seriously bare squad at the moment. There are some foundations there in terms of personnel and philosophy but, to be able to honestly ask the questions, it's going to be another couple years.

Untd55

We have only scored four goals in four games: 1 against Wolves (just lost 5v2 against Chelsea), 1 against Crystal Palace (just lost 4v0 against Tottenham), 1 against Southampton and 1 against Leicester.

Two of those goals were penalties and the other two were great finishes by James. I would say our lack of creativity and goal scoring is concerning; we don't look like we are going to score much from open play. We have to hope we continue to get penalties, since that is 4 in 5 games now which is a bit abnormal.

Henrik7

Supports
Celtic
Was a much needed 3 points on the board, and hopefully helping build the confidence of the players. Only time will tell if it was a turning point or not.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
Whatever you posted are mistakes that are common and happens when players are not as good as you think. Maybe they were nervous playing away game vs top 6 team. TBH Leicester players looked clueless on the pitch.

Anyways I'm not excited, it's not as if we beat peak Barca team. It's just Leicester.
Poor performances can happen any time on any day for any reason so I don't agree with your back-patting generalisations, in fact specifically sloppy performances like ours tend to happen when you take mediocre opposition for granted.

roonster09

Scout
Poor performances can happen any time on any day for any reason so I don't agree with your back-patting generalisations, in fact specifically sloppy performances like ours tend to happen when you take mediocre opposition for granted.
:lol: fecking hell, might Barca team took ManUtd for granted.

I agree with the point that poor performance can happen sometimes but in your case, it's just overrating your team and some how believing you are peak Barca team, managed by Pep.

Last edited:

Revaulx

Not much more needs saying than this. Though I thought Ole’s game management, which has rightly come under much criticism, was spot on on this occasion.

Most of the posts in this thread (except for some of the Leicester fans’ :D) have been pretty measured and thoughtful actually.

Tickle Lad

Supports
Leicester City
:lol: fecking hell, might Barca team took ManUtd for granted.

I agree with the point that poor performance can happen sometimes but in your case, it's just overrating your team and some how believing you are peak Barca team, managed by Pep.
All I've said is that we played very poorly and explained how our poor performance was in no way influenced by you, and that therefore you should not get excited about scraping the match as per OP's question.

Where have I said that we are peak Barcelona managed by Pep?

Member 39557

Leicester are an average side, nothing more, nothing less. United aren't great by any means, but you're clearly on a wum coming out with shit like that.

We have not had much to cheer over the past few weeks but football fans are nothing if not eternal optimists - it is our default.

To say that the win against Leicester was a massive result is an even more massive under-statement. The truth in that in times gone by Leicester at home is a game that United would expect to win. However, with our current run of form, with confidence low and without Pogba, Martial and Shaw that was a game that United could easily have lost.

There were some real positives from the game yesterday, impressive performances from Maguire and McTominay, penalty demon laid to rest by Rashford (who might have had another), but perhaps even more crucially, we have maintained pace with others in the top four. It was a performance that showed grit and resilience and even if we were not at our best, the ability to win whilst not playing brilliantly has always been a tool in United's box.

That said, is there a risk that too much might be read into one result? Leicester in the end were not great and still managed to dominate possession, put us under pressure and might even have equalised. To that extent does the Leicester result just paper over the cracks or does it show that Ole is beginning to get to grips with the challenges and find solutions to problems?

So, here's the rub, do you think yesterday's result could be a critical turning point or yet another false dawn?
It's neither.
Leicester are an average side and United are a bit short of confidence and carrying a few injuries. The result and performance are about what I'd expect to be honest.

roonster09

Scout
All I've said is that we played very poorly and explained how our poor performance was in no way influenced by you, and that therefore you should not get excited about scraping the match as per OP's question.

Where have I said that we are peak Barcelona managed by Pep?
Yeah Leicester performance was not influenced by opposition team :houllier:

Forget performance, your team selection was influenced by which team you are playing and at which ground. Going by Leicester fans, Rodgers set up defensively and shunted Maddison to LW. Wonder what made him to do that?

Apart from that it's hilarious to post that Leicester performance wasn't influenced by superior team, when your players looked clueless on the pitch with Vardy barely getting a chance to score.

Also the fact that we have players like Rashford, James in the attack means Leicester didn't even push higher up the pitch, to counter the pace.

SlimDizzle075

To say that the win against Leicester was a massive result is an even more massive under-statement. The truth in that in times gone by Leicester at home is a game that United would expect to win. However, with our current run of form, with confidence low and without Pogba, Martial and Shaw that was a game that United could easily have lost.

There were some real positives from the game yesterday, impressive performances from Maguire and McTominay, penalty demon laid to rest by Rashford (who might have had another), but perhaps even more crucially, we have maintained pace with others in the top four. It was a performance that showed grit and resilience and even if we were not at our best, the ability to win whilst not playing brilliantly has always been a tool in United's box.

That said, is there a risk that too much might be read into one result? Leicester in the end were not great and still managed to dominate possession, put us under pressure and might even have equalised. To that extent does the Leicester result just paper over the cracks or does it show that Ole is beginning to get to grips with the challenges and find solutions to problems?

So, here's the rub, do you think yesterday's result could be a critical turning point or yet another false dawn?
None of the above. Not everything that happens is "a turning point" or a "false dawn" sometimes its simply a match. Its simply another game from a stripped down roster from a club in transition. solid job grinding on the 3 points. we got more experience for some young players a run out for some of the fringe ones and we move on to the next one.