Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
With a 3 weeks mandatory lockdown and possible extension, with the way the virus is spreading how realistic is it to complete this season before August? If we don't complete the season by August should we disrupt future seasons/calendar to accommodate this current one? Are other sports going to resume too or its just football?

As a Bayern fan, I think we have a great chance of winning the CL this season but all that is secondary, Like Hoeness said, Football shouldn't take itself too seriously. IF safe to complete 2019/20 by August then fine, If not scrap it.
Little to no chance in my opinion. In fact I'd be surprised if anyone kicked the ball in anger in 2020. This is going to go on for months.

spiriticon

Little to no chance in my opinion. In fact I'd be surprised if anyone kicked the ball in anger in 2020. This is going to go on for months.
I think the first wave will have come to a stop by July in the UK. The thing is, the last thing you want is for large football crowds to kick off the second virus wave in a hurry.

I think it will be September before crowds are allowed safely back into stadiums (assuming any second wave is minimal), but playing behind closed doors in July/August is not too unimaginable.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't live in the UK so I have very little coverage of what's going on in your media. All I'll say is that football is secondary right now and people going on about why the league (or any sports league) should definitely be finished are living in a bubble and don't have their priorities straight. I know they're paid to talk about football but their only comments should be that they'll have to assess the situation once there's clarity about the virus, all talk beforehand is just pure speculation whether you're a Redcafe member or Ian Wright.

I do think most people want the league to be wrapped up because it's simply the easiest solution (IF possible), regardless of who's currently on top. The question is: when does it simply become impossible or at what point will you start prioritizing finishing this league over starting next season on time, and thus maybe jeopardizing the whole season next year. It's all a very grey area and none of us can say either this or that would be the best solution.
I agree with most of your points and especially the bolded part, but I think you're misjudging or not realizing how Liverpool-centric this whole debate has gotten and how many pro-Liverpool guys are being gobby in the media (has slightly calmed down now as the situation is getting more serious in the UK).

Snafu17

I mean you'd hope the pandemic settles in the next 2/3 months with the measures now mostly taken all around Europe. The lockdown is supposed to give you some time to prepare for the inevitable second outbreak. It's not just the vaccine that can help ease the load on the healthcare systems, hopefully there are more effective treatments and testing capabilities are improved by the end of the lockdown. Best case scenario even the warm weather will have some positive effect with the flu season ending and COVID-19 apparently being somewhat less resistant on higher temperatures. Social distancing measures will have to be eased off slowly and I don't think there will be any big crowds allowed in the stands for a while, certainly not this season, but you'd hope that some football would be played at least by the end July even if it would have to be behind closed doors.

South Korea managed to keep their society running on some level so there's definitely a way to mitigate the damage without breaking the healthcare systems.

Course a lot of small clubs that depend on the gate receipts are just fecked. Unfortunately I don't think there's any real way around that.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I agree with most of your points and especially the bolded part, but I think you're misjudging or not realizing how Liverpool-centric this whole debate has gotten and how many pro-Liverpool guys are being gobby in the media (has slightly calmed down now as the situation is getting more serious in the UK).
Probably just not realizing yeah since we don't get that coverage here. The only PL-related news has been Arteta getting the virus and the suspension extension until the end of April, but that's it. I understand that it must be annoying for you guys if it looks like the whole debate revolves around Liverpool while there are still plenty of clubs who have important interests at stake, throughout all the tiers of English football (yourself included).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It is very optimistic, no deluded, to suggest the league will be fine by June. Once the numbers of cases start to decrease they will release the taps again so more get infected/die. Whether this year is cancelled or next year is shorten in part it's shuffling resources which, most probably, will be based on some agency bias. At the moment, clubs like united are still seeking commitment from season ticket holder without fulfilling, or having an prospect of fulfilling, current obligations. There is significant concerns that liquidity in the economic system may become more problematic, which, perhaps, may lower renewals and sponsorship.

No, I don't want it to restart 2019-20 for the sake of appeasing powers, and at the risk of people dying. This could go on until we have a vaccine, 18-24 months?

I'm looking to hear under what conditions do the authorities void the season?
We aren't going to go straight from lockdown to everything completely normal again at the drop of the hat. Measures will slowly get introduced back into society the same way they were slowly took away, at stage 1 to whenever. I imagine attempting to reintroduce sports behind closed doors will happen relitevely early for a few reasons.

The season has to be finished even if it takes a few years to get the August-May calendar properly back in sync, not because of Liverpool but because the logistics of working out placings at such a late stage will be impossible. Furthermore there's the risk that next season may have to be halted too and if it's at an earlier stage a more convincing argument can be made for a void (no one can really argue they deserve something with less than half the season gone) so if it truly comes to it it's much more preferable to complete one season and work the rest out after than to potentially have to void two season's.

TheReligion

Abusive
Voiding this season would be an absolute piss-take and there is no way they can do that. They will forego next season before they do that and rightly so. If it was any other team at the top of the league that would be just a common thought process. Football won't kick off for me until July at least and they'll just have to wrap it up quickly.
What nonsense. Other big leagues are voiding it and that's what will happen here if it gets past the point where we are able to resume. The thought that there's no cut off and this season can simply be frozen and picked back up next year is deluded and plain stupid.

mu4c_20le

If they can do it for the lower leagues, they should be able to do it for the PL. Null and void, the easiest way to deal with it. Liverpool can always go again!

Member 101269

We aren't going to go straight from lockdown to everything completely normal again at the drop of the hat. Measures will slowly get introduced back into society the same way they were slowly took away, at stage 1 to whenever. I imagine attempting to reintroduce sports behind closed doors will happen relitevely early for a few reasons.

The season has to be finished even if it takes a few years to get the August-May calendar properly back in sync, not because of Liverpool but because the logistics of working out placings at such a late stage will be impossible. Furthermore there's the risk that next season may have to be halted too and if it's at an earlier stage a more convincing argument can be made for a void (no one can really argue they deserve something with less than half the season gone) so if it truly comes to it it's much more preferable to complete one season and work the rest out after than to potentially have to void two season's.
Nor did I suggest we would be moving from a curfew to normality at the drop of a hat. Turning on the taps is about allowing a level of relative normality in response to health. That implies clubs seeking to continue the normalisation of income/revenue isn't consistent with the timeframe of their obligations. We have to agree to differ on the season, you're post seems to agree it's not as certain as your headline sentence suggests. It's not more preferable to complete one season. It's probably more preferable to void and gradually test friendlies and health, rather than play to sustain income. Either you focus on health or income..

Lets be honest; Liverpool Champions of the 2019-2022 or later season. That is the preferred option?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Bundesliga seem to expect June as the month for a re-start. They need to play the full season because of the tv money. Same would apply for PL, I presume.

OleBoiii

The Olympics was supposed to kick of in late July going into mid August. If they had to postpone it, then surely there's not much hope for finishing this season before the next?

So: time to place your bets, boys and girls! How long will they torture the fans with false hope? I reckon they'll keep us waiting until the middle of May.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
in my humble opinion, all major sports event suspended, will never restart again (for this year). Season is done for everyone, any kind of competitions.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Think they'll cancel the season, and cancel all European/International cup competitions for the next 12 months too.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
What nonsense. Other big leagues are voiding it and that's what will happen here if it gets past the point where we are able to resume. The thought that there's no cut off and this season can simply be frozen and picked back up next year is deluded and plain stupid.
So you think it's better to void something which is almost finished to start a new league season which hasn't even started. I'm prepared to wait for as long is needed to finish this season and then worry about the next later.

mu4c_20le

So you think it's better to void something which is almost finished to start a new league season which hasn't even started. I'm prepared to wait for as long is needed to finish this season and then worry about the next later.
Do clubs get to buy or sell players as we wait, or are the teams locked in? Players are aging as well. It won't even be the same season anymore.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wouldn't read too much into a non-league five levels below the EFL being cancelled. I don't think the PL will take their lead from that somehow.
It’s going to cascade upwards. It’s easy to cancel these divisions but they are setting a precedent that it can be done, just as other leagues across Europe have. There’s no practical way of finishing this season, it’s done.

SirAnderson

Crikey this thread is like a hamster wheel. Going around in circles.

Seriously, Its going to take at least 2 weeks for the UK public to understand what lock-down means, and then another 2 weeks (glass half full) to actually start getting it right. The chances of getting started in August alone is slim. If that's the case, it should be scrapped and the new season start in Sept. Got some buts for you...

BUT, even in saying all that, it could still be an optimistic perspective (finish or starting a new league this year) given the rate of spread in the UK (and how serious some citizens are taking it). Looking at China though, (if we are to all believe it and not jump on the conspiracy bandwagon) if the UK leadership stop trying to rival dumb and dumberer, then just maybe, maybe, the season could be finished off in the month of August.

BUT, in just saying that, there is so much to consider, i.e. getting back to fitness, its like a whole pre-season length without the pre-season, then players contracts, then the impact to the following season in relation to the football calendar, as its not so easy to say just shift it around, more money is at stake to being lost missing out on a new season or part of it. So much permutations.

In the end, something(s)/someone(s) is/are going to get screwed over big time, just a matter of when and what/who(m).

Gasolin

If the season is cancelled, the financial impact is also going to be big for United. Beyond the TV rights for this season that we will probably own to Sky, but that's a shared boat so it may not be that bad, we will probably miss the CL again unless City's ban sticks. Which we can hope for too, after all, it seems that the world is changing for good now.

Before, I would have sworn there's no way City misses the CL and gets a real ban. Now? I am not so sure. Maybe they will truly ban City.

Either way, I think it's inevitable that the season gets cancelled and we will have to do it again for the CL and the title. We can only hope that this time, we have the right players and the start of the season continues as we've been doing for the last 17 games. I think Ole has found the formula so I am not too worried.

SirAnderson

I wouldn't read too much into a non-league five levels below the EFL being cancelled. I don't think the PL will take their lead from that somehow.
Almost like when a young lad never would have imagined bringing a beach ball to a match would help Sunderland win against Liverpool? :nervous:
I jest, but yeah, can't read into that...

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
It’s going to cascade upwards. It’s easy to cancel these divisions but they are setting a precedent that it can be done, just as other leagues across Europe have. There’s no practical way of finishing this season, it’s done.
Yes Ed, Ole, John and Jurgen etc are probably on a conference call right now. "lads, they're coming for us next..."

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes Ed, Ole, John and Jurgen etc are probably on a conference call right now. "lads, they're coming for us next..."
There’s literally no practical solution for finishing this season. It’s over.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Almost like when a young lad never would have imagined bringing a beach ball to a match would help Sunderland win against Liverpool? :nervous:
I jest, but yeah, can't read into that...
Almost got a bite but then I saw the white! Honestly even most LFC fans now find that beach ball incident hilarious. In an alternate universe we no doubt beat Sunderland that day, mind you in that same place AC Milan stuffed us 7-0.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
You might be right but I think a final decision could be a long way off yet. I think they will exhaust every avenue to finish it for several reasons. I really hope they don't rush it though. If football returned before it is 100% safe to do so and something happened as a result, well it just doesn't bear thinking about.

SirAnderson

Almost got a bite but then I saw the white! Honestly even most LFC fans now find that beach ball incident hilarious. In an alternate universe we no doubt beat Sunderland that day, mind you in that same place AC Milan stuffed us 7-0.
Yeah no, I wouldn't risk not putting white text in :lol:

Oooh, I can put watching the "an attempt to relive season 2007-08" thread to watch that :eek:

But nice discussion the other day on this topic, very rare my interactions with some Liverpool posters on here that don't rile me up. :)

Snafu17

Has there been any league in Europe that has cancelled/voided the season already? I haven't heard about any yet.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yet there's a German poster just below you saying they are aiming for a Bundesliga restart in June. "They need to finish the season because of TV money".

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You just made up an imaginery and completely unrealistic scenario and then proceeded to insult the FA for your own imagination. Think you already might need a sanity check mate.
With all due respect but who are you to tell me if i'm imagining a completely unrealistic scenario - Nostradamus maybe?
And do i have to get your permission to pass comments about the FA?!
You come here as a Liverpoo supporter and are (till now) telling us United fans that we cannot call the FA idiots if that's what we feel like saying?
Given the chance, you and some other scouse fans, will try and take over OUR forum.

I see so many of your posts here and you're generally 'Crying because Liverpoo doesn't get praised', and you said it yourself under your name.

As far as i know i never insulted you so i expect an apology for your insinuating that i need a sanity check.
Are you man enough to do it ?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
With all due respect but who are you to tell me if i'm imagining a completely unrealistic scenario - Nostradamus maybe?
And do i have to get your permission to pass comments about the FA?!
You come here as a Liverpoo supporter and are (till now) telling us United fans that we cannot call the FA idiots if that's what we feel like saying?
Given the chance, you and some other scouse fans, will try and take over OUR forum.

I see so many of your posts here and you're generally 'Crying because Liverpoo doesn't get praised', and you said it yourself under your name.

As far as i know i never insulted you so i expect an apology for your insinuating that i need a sanity check.
Are you man enough to do it ?
:lol:

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I agree with you 100%.

They might try to finish it behind closed doors, but would that be fair for the'home' teams? No
And now that everyone is on lockdown how will this impact the players of all teams?
Will they have to start pre-season training again and try to get into a decent playing condition just 'to finish the league' at all costs?

There are many other implications and so as Pex said: There’s literally no practical solution for finishing this season. It’s over.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah no, I wouldn't risk not putting white text in :lol:

Oooh, I can put watching the "an attempt to relive season 2007-08" thread to watch that :eek:

But nice discussion the other day on this topic, very rare my interactions with some Liverpool posters on here that don't rile me up. :)
Same as that. Never has the saying 'life's too short' been more apt eh. Stay safe.