Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Serie A president says the season will finish in August and will do everything he can to finish it. If italy will get back up again, england will get there sooner. This season isn't being voided. Stop fooling yourselves lads. The show must go on.
Is this the same Serie A President that signed off on having Apes as the face of his leagues anti-rascism campaign?

I see why you're so confident.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Serie A president says the season will finish in August and will do everything he can to finish it. If italy will get back up again, england will get there sooner. This season isn't being voided. Stop fooling yourselves lads. The show must go on.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ld-finish-in-august-says-federation-president
This may happen, but equally this is the sort of noise heads of/presidents need to be making to appease sponsors/clubs/fans etc.

If it does come to cancelling the season, there needs to be evidence to suggest it's the last/worst case scenario.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ld-finish-in-august-says-federation-president
Cannavaro, who is currently managing and living in China, thinks it will be difficult for European leagues to finish this year based on what he has experienced, where the response to the pandemic has been more aggressive/planned.

LInkash

Only way it's finishing is if there's some sort of league camp in the middle of nowhere for the players to play the games in isolation.

TheReligion

Abusive

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I have always said we should finish the season, I think, the issue is that I don't think they will cancel the whole of next season to make it happen. If we assume we get six months down the line then there is every chance there won't be teams to complete every competition anyway, and I don't think any team is going to want to scrap next season just to finish this one. Despite what Liverpool or United may want. Most clubs simply could not, the loss of revenue from TV, sponsors, attendances, etc, would so badly impact clubs that there is no way I can see they would see it happen. If we don't restart until much later then the odds are that at least one premiership team doesn't survive, and more than that in the lower leagues. Are we going to play without those teams?

Like I have said if we can finish before September I can see it happening, maybe, and it would be the best option. The idea that lots of Liverpool fans is that we can start sooner, or we start at some point behind closed doors, and I don't think either of those is particularly viable.
Problem with starting a new season though is that given the information we have to hand there's a very strong possibility, that, over time, this virus will come back in waves. So regardless of the financial needs of football clubs everything hinges on how long this thing hangs around. Voiding the season will in itself bring a whole new set of problems, not to mention a lot of bad feeling from fans & clubs alike. They've put Euro 2020 back 12 months so that gives everyone a bit of breathing space this summer. It's how they use that 'breathing space' which is going to be interesting, especially considering there won't be any opportunity of a season extension in 2021. Therefore football's governing bodies really need to be 100% sure that if they start a new season at the expense of the previous one, then it's not going to be derailed by this virus. Now I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure there's no one in that field that could give any sort of guarantee that this thing won't return again to cause mayhem, death, & disruption. Pity the poor sods who have to make that call.

Crustanoid

Yep, now the lower leagues have done this the only course of action is to expunge this season at all levels.

Whenever it’s safe to play football again, a decision can be made whether to hold 20/21 season-either cut down somehow or an interim competition to bridge the gap to 21/22.

Only an idiot/extremely callous person/LFC fan would disagree

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
All the professional leagues want to finish. The financial hit from not playing the games will be huge, because TV companies will ask for the money back for un-played matches.

Governments and the virus will make that call though. If pandemic ongoing and / or players, the officials, medical staff needed at games, are still working on the pandemic, no chance of football being played.

If so much money wasn't involved, they'd just null and void like leagues at the bottom now have already. If they haven't even started by the time contracts for players expire at end of June, don't think there will be any choice though.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The non-league clubs have way less money therefore they've had to make a decision much sooner than the professional leagues. It's still way too soon for the Premier League to come to a conclusion yet.

mwake

Supports
Liverpool
All the professional leagues want to finish. The financial hit from not playing the games will be huge, because TV companies will ask for the money back for un-played matches.

Governments and the virus will make that call though. If pandemic ongoing and / or players, the officials, medical staff needed at games, are still working on the pandemic, no chance of football being played.

If so much money wasn't involved, they'd just null and void like leagues at the bottom now have already. If they haven't even started by the time contracts for players expire at end of June, don't think there will be any choice though.

Exactly! The null and void argument isn't as easy as it sounds... Not only the refund part but surely there is the threat of legal action from some clubs.

Maybe the new testing kits could be used before games to isolate individuals who test positive then rather than having to quarantine the entire team you could just isolate that one player/s?

But as you did the government and virus will be the ultimate measure of what happens... I also fear the possibility of no football until the vaccine arrives, it could be that bad. People talk about flattening the curve but if you still get the odd positive results doesn't that mean the entire team has to go into quarantine mode again?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Exactly! The null and void argument isn't as easy as it sounds... Not only the refund part but surely there is the threat of legal action from some clubs.

Maybe the new testing kits could be used before games to isolate individuals who test positive then rather than having to quarantine the entire team you could just isolate that one player/s?

But as you did the government and virus will be the ultimate measure of what happens... I also fear the possibility of no football until the vaccine arrives, it could be that bad. People talk about flattening the curve but if you still get the odd positive results doesn't that mean the entire team has to go into quarantine mode again?

Say the PL decide to finish in July and August.

The PL has to nominate the teams who qualify for the CL and the Europa League by June 30th. They need to know for the seedings.

So you end up with a PL with nothing to play for bar relegation. It would be basically a pre season for all the teams outside of the relegation fight.

Bwuk

It’s going to get voided.

No way it can finish. The only reason it hasn’t been so already is the £££.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It's easy to cancel grassroots because there is no money in it.

People need to realise they are not going to be on the hook for £750 million. The season is ending some way or another.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

People need to realise they are not going to be on the hook for £750 million. The season is ending some way or another.
Said the first sentence in an earlier post.

Unsure I agree with the last sentence yet.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
It means you can also roll out the 'next year is definitely our year' slogan.
In terms of major trophies we had a good year last year. And when it’s safe to play again this year will hopefully bring another major trophy.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Last year as in the European cup?

Obviously you're not referring to the European charity shield.
Yes the European cup or champions league. The Super Cup is as you rightly point out a glorified European version of the Charity Shield. I’d be more than happy to see all those type of comps cancelled forever. There are too many games already and if nothing else, this tragic enforced break, might be beneficial in terms of players physical health.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Yes the European cup or champions league. The Super Cup is as you rightly point out a glorified European version of the Charity Shield. I’d be more than happy to see all those type of comps cancelled. There are too many games already and if nothing else, this tragic enforced break, might be beneficial in terms of players physical health.
Agreed. The league cup should be void for any team competing in Europe that season.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Agreed. The league cup should be void for any team competing in Europe that season.
Yep that would make a big difference - a few more full week preparation for games. No more FA cup replays either.There are so many very logical steps which could be taken to improve the calendar, aid player recovery time and ultimately raise performance standard. Tradition and money are the barriers but money can be overcome. England is a stickler for tradition though.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

This is a scare mongering. No way does Sky/BT pull the full seasons money. I say this because:

1) PL is their biggest draw. They take that money away they will harm their own product.

2) Whilst the league would be null and void, they would've still aired 75% of games. They for instance are not refunding every Sky Sports package holder for their Aug-March subs. In fact they just have people on freeze so they are still tie to their contracts.

3) The ad money they got will still be kept by them.

4) Sky are coining it in at the moment as they have Xmas ratings for their channels with everyone at home, which equals bigger ad money (please note ad costs are directly linked to average eyes on screen.) Further, people are taking up more subscriptions - particularly Now TV.

If it gets null and voided will the PL lose out on some money i.e. 25%, yes probably. Will they lose all 100%, nope.

The bigger issue for the TV companies would be if they lost more than 25% of next season to finish the last 25% of this. Once that balance tips, they will back a void as well.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
maybe Liverpool fans will start to comprehend the situation, instead of being selfish cnuts.
Never quite got this mindset, not just regarding opinions on Liverpool but it seems that anyone who expresses desire for football to return automatically want the sick and elderly to die.

It's not mutually exclusive, you can care about people's health and want the sport you love to return.

Vanrouge

I really don’t get this obsession with LFC regarding the league finishing. The bigger issues are promotion and relegation.
You could argue too that the Champions League placings are more important for United fans, and this is a United forum, don't forget. But then again, you're a good poster here, so let's not be naive. Putting aside the horrors of the virus and everything else, but looking at this on purely football rivalry terms, can you really not see how almost implausibly funny it is that Liverpool were poised to win the one trophy that's eluded them for three decades and pull within one of our own total and are now in danger of being denied just two wins away from that dream? Prior to this, we thought the slip was the best cosmic joke, but this? I mean, there really are no words to describe how ludicrous this latest script has been.

Never quite got this mindset, not just regarding opinions on Liverpool but it seems that anyone who expresses desire for football to return automatically want the sick and elderly to die.

It's not mutually exclusive, you can care about people's health and want the sport you love to return.
They are not mutually exclusive, you are right. 99.99% of people want the league to finish if it can.

However Liverpool fans and former player have had this agenda that the league must be finished at all costs, that nothing at all should stop it, no matter when this is, that you compromise the integrity of the league, indeed football itself if you don’t.

They are utterly ignorant of the bigger picture, that football is a footnote of what’s happening in the world. 1/3 of the world’s population is on lockdown - but hey let’s start playing matches behind closed doors in a couple of weeks, because finishing the league of far more important. It’s not as if medics, security, police have anything better to do than stand in an empty stadium and watch meaningless games

They ignore what’s happening in other sports, other factions of football - and the attitude really is fcUK everything else, as long as we get the title, we are alright jack.

If we can’t finish the league, then just give us the title, we bloody deserve it - without regard to any other club in England.

I’ve said it before, Man Utd have far far more to gain from finishing the season than Liverpool (financially speaking) - it’s got nothing to do with rivalry, it’s realism and understanding what’s happening outside, with people losing their lives and their livelihoods

well fcUK Liverpool, a club that had great traditions really has been small minded and insular since King Kenny was appointed manager again.

liverpool is a club that’s completely tone deaf. I can only imagine the T-shirt’s they would wear if they did get to finish the league.“Champions of England - against all odds, and we even beat coronavirus - YAWN”.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
They are not mutually exclusive, you are right. 99.99% of people want the league to finish if it can.

However Liverpool fans and former player have had this agenda that the league must be finished at all costs, that nothing at all should stop it, no matter when this is, that you compromise the integrity of the league, indeed football itself if you don’t.

They are utterly ignorant of the bigger picture, that football is a footnote of what’s happening in the world. 1/3 of the world’s population is on lockdown - but hey let’s start playing matches behind closed doors in a couple of weeks, because finishing the league of far more important. It’s not as if medics, security, police have anything better to do than stand in an empty stadium and watch meaningless games

They ignore what’s happening in other sports, other factions of football - and the attitude really is fcUK everything else, as long as we get the title, we are alright jack.

If we can’t finish the league, then just give us the title, we bloody deserve it - without regard to any other club in England.

I’ve said it before, Man Utd have far far more to gain from finishing the season than Liverpool (financially speaking) - it’s got nothing to do with rivalry, it’s realism and understanding what’s happening outside, with people losing their lives and their livelihoods

well fcUK Liverpool, a club that had great traditions really has been small minded and insular since King Kenny was appointed manager again.

liverpool is a club that’s completely tone deaf. I can only imagine the T-shirt’s they would wear if they did get to finish the league.“Champions of England - against all odds, and we even beat coronavirus - YAWN”.
:D
I'll even take this fellas warning point if this crossed the line.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t know what will happen with the PL, but I’m almost certain Serie A will not be able to be completed. The crisis there is through the roof, and it’s only just reaching Southern Italy. They are a long way from public gatherings at least.

TheReligion

Abusive

You want the new testing kits to be given to footballers so we can get the season started again (so your club can try and win the league) whilst there's doctors and nurses without PPE, who can't get tested themselves and the UK is just entering a lock down.

Come on mate. What planet are you on.