Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
You could argue too that the Champions League placings are more important for United fans, and this is a United forum, don't forget. But then again, you're a good poster here, so let's not be naive. Putting aside the horrors of the virus and everything else, but looking at this on purely football rivalry terms, can you really not see how almost implausibly funny it is that Liverpool were poised to win the one trophy that's eluded them for three decades and pull within one of our own total and are now in danger of being denied just two wins away from that dream? Prior to this, we thought the slip was the best cosmic joke, but this? I mean, there really are no words to describe how ludicrous this latest script has been.
I actually don’t think many Utd fans are bothered about losing out on the CL. Admittedly I don’t know what Utd fans are saying in the Utd forum on here so maybe I’m completely wrong but in this forum it seems to barely get mentioned. It’s almost as if, and I know I’m going out on a limb here, Utd fans care more about us not winning the league.

With the problems on and off the pitch Utd have had recently I would have thought a return to elite level European football was the number 1 priority. It seems to be for Ed, Ole and the players But not so much for the fans.

I’m glad you said “putting aside the horrors of the virus” because it is possible to do that and talk about football and how/when it might restart. There is a well developed narrative that if you want the current season finished it means you don’t care about anyone and are basically evil incarnate. You can only care about the elderly, people with underlying health issues and humanity in general if you want the season voided. In which case, amongst others, West Ham fans must be angels.

I do think that after this is over we will all realise how important football is to us. It’s only been a couple of weeks and yet it feels like an eternity already. As someone said it’s the most important of the least important things. Stay safe.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I actually don’t think many Utd fans are bothered about losing out on the CL. Admittedly I don’t know what Utd fans are saying in the Utd forum on here so maybe I’m completely wrong but in this forum it seems to barely get mentioned. It’s almost as if, and I know I’m going out on a limb here, Utd fans care more about us not winning the league.

With the problems on and off the pitch Utd have had recently I would have thought a return to elite level European football was the number 1 priority. It seems to be for Ed, Ole and the players But not so much for the fans.
You really have no clue what you're talking about.

stevoc

I’m glad you said “putting aside the horrors of the virus” because it is possible to do that and talk about football and how/when it might restart. There is a well developed narrative that if you want the current season finished it means you don’t care about anyone and are basically evil incarnate. You can only care about the elderly, people with underlying health issues and humanity in general if you want the season voided. In which case, amongst others, West Ham fans must be angels.

I do think that after this is over we will all realise how important football is to us. It’s only been a couple of weeks and yet it feels like an eternity already. As someone said it’s the most important of the least important things. Stay safe.
You seem confident that European football will be taking place next season, wish i was.

With the way things are going i'm starting to doubt there will even be a next season Domestic or European, never mind the current one being finished.

This season is done i feel. No way can you have football return before the cut off point at the end of June, and by then it will be too late to finish. The FA/PL are simply delaying the decision in the hope of a miracle that would allow football to recommence next month.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
You seem confident that European football will be taking place next season, wish i was.

With the way things are going i'm starting to doubt there will even be a next season Domestic or European, never mind the current one being finished.

This season is done i feel. No way can you have football return before the cut off point at the end of June, and by then it will be too late to finish. The FA/PL are simply delaying the decision in the hope of a miracle that would allow football to recommence next month.
When you say cut off point at the end of June do you mean for player contracts? If so I think FIFA are going to recommend those be extended. Considering FIFA plonked WC22 right in the middle of a European season I’m sure dates could be moved IF there is the will to do so. We all know that at the end of the day the deciding factor is likely to be money. The ensuing plan will be the result of what will do least financial damage.

Right now of course it’s impossible to know what next season will look like and you’re right maybe there won’t even be a 20/21 season - European or domestic. Or maybe it will be truncated in some way - 20 game league season, no domestic cups and only a knockout stage CL & EL. Or something more left field like a Jan-Oct season for two years up until WC22 and then a truncated season. I do think it’s more likely that it’s a future season which will give rather than one which is nearly finished.

Redcy

1) I actually don’t think many Utd fans are bothered about losing out on the CL. Admittedly I don’t know what Utd fans are saying in the Utd forum on here so maybe I’m completely wrong but in this forum it seems to barely get mentioned. It’s almost as if, and I know I’m going out on a limb here, Utd fans care more about us not winning the league.

2) I’m glad you said “putting aside the horrors of the virus” because it is possible to do that and talk about football and how/when it might restart. There is a well developed narrative that if you want the current season finished it means you don’t care about anyone and are basically evil incarnate. You can only care about the elderly, people with underlying health issues and humanity in general if you want the season voided. In which case, amongst others, West Ham fans must be angels.

1) Now you are just making stuff up, I could go back and find all the posts where multiple posters have talked about United missing out on the CL being more of a problem than Liverpool's win. I could go and find the dozens of posts where we are saying Liverpool can have the league even if its not complete, yes of course we would find it funny in a way if you didn't win it, but most people on here seem to be not that bothered in the grand scheme of things. Voiding the league has nothing to do with denying Liverpool a win, it has to do with what would be the sanest, least painful thing for all 90+ clubs. If we can complete this season, by say October, including any training/transfer windows, etc, without putting people at risk I think most people would be ok with it. (I think the problem is you need to make that decision by about June though).

2) You are literally drawing straw arguments from nowhere, we don't think Liverpool are evil incarnate for wanting the league finished, we just don't think that a) risking players, staff and key workers lives just to finish this season is worth it, b) we don't want to see next season abandoned to finish this season at any cost. Voiding next season because "this season finishing is more important" is a selfish attitude that would result in a massive change in football, possibly losing 30-50% of all league clubs. Again it would possibly benefit United, but I would take another year in the EL to secure the future of football in this country.

Redcy

Right now of course it’s impossible to know what next season will look like and you’re right maybe there won’t even be a 20/21 season - European or domestic. Or maybe it will be truncated in some way - 20 game league season, no domestic cups and only a knockout stage CL & EL. Or something more left field like a Jan-Oct season for two years up until WC22 and then a truncated season. I do think it’s more likely that it’s a future season which will give rather than one which is nearly finished.
If they abandon next season, or truncate it, you will see teams in all the leagues go out of business, many clubs in the PL will have budgets based on TV and sponsor income. No/fewer games means no/less money, which will result in bankruptcy. Below the PL teams are literally run on tiny margins, the loss of any season/games will see probably 30-50% go out of business completely. You are right it will come down to money, and the only way we resume this season is if it does not affect next season. People have said what happens if the same happens next season, if that happens then yeah we find ourselves in the shit, but the accountants will tell you that the lesser risk is giving up 25% of this season, with the chance to complete at least 30% of next season, which has to be pretty likely even if CV comes back.

0le

They can't suspend an entire industry for an entire year surely?
Yes, they can. If you can't guarantee the safety of the players then football won't restart. The safety doesn't just mean ensuring players with the virus are isolated from others, but also providing the medical staff and police support to host the games - which just won't be available for some time.

TheLord

It is mindboggling to read that many out here still think there is a way to end this season on time by making safety diagnostic tests on players and other football staff for closed door football.

Wow. Just wow.

Doctors and nurses in the UK and around the world are dying because of lack of diagnostic testing and adequate personal protective equipment. Patients are now being triaged to assess whether they are fit enough to receive advanced medical care, because the health system can no longer manage everyone.

It is only a matter of when people above 65 will be refused in-patient care (like in Italy, Spain) - Medical professionals are writing their death wills as I write this post.

And people here think football should go on.

Wow. Just wow.

One gathering of 100 or more (like the fantasy closed-door football) can potentially kickstart a tsunami of second-wave infections affecting tens of thousands. Human lives is more important than bloody football at this time of crisis.

And once we tide over the crisis, whenever that is, we should send these diagnostic kits and protective gears to less privileged people in South Asia and Africa and everywhere else where millions and millions of fatalities is imminent unless they get all the help in the world, rather than waste it for bloody closed-door football matches.

This season is done and dusted. Don't even know about the next. Get real, people. We are dealing with what could be mankind's greatest fight against disease.

Reactions: Fortitude

Ludens the Red

It is mindboggling to read that many out here still think there is a way to end this season on time by making safety diagnostic tests on players and other football staff for closed door football.

Wow. Just wow.

Doctors and nurses in the UK and around the world are dying because of lack of diagnostic testing and adequate personal protective equipment. Patients are now being triaged to assess whether they are fit enough to receive advanced medical care, because the health system can no longer manage everyone.

It is only a matter of when people above 65 will be refused in-patient care (like in Italy, Spain) - Medical professionals are writing their death wills as I write this post.

Wow. Just wow.

One gathering of 100 or more (like the fantasy closed-door football) can potentially kickstart a tsunami of second-wave infections affecting tens of thousands. Human lives is more important than bloody football at this time of crisis.

And once we tide over the crisis, whenever that is, we should send these diagnostic kits and protective gears to less privileged people in South Asia and Africa and everywhere else where millions and millions of fatalities is imminent unless they get all the help in the world, rather than waste it for bloody closed-door football matches.

This season is done and dusted. Don't even know about the next. Get real, people. We are dealing with what could be mankind's greatest fight against disease.
Bob Geldof over here...
Bringing the band back together ?

caid

I'd be more bothered if i thought there was going to be a CL next year.
I dont really care what format football comes back in at this point tbh. It'd be nice to have back but not if its a risk to those involved. I'll live without football for an extra month or two if its the difference players and groundstaff and all the rest being safe or not.
I kind of stopped caring about what we could have won or where we could have finished a while ago (along with supporters of pretty much every other club involved in football i presume).
I care about liverpool less than united so i dont care in the slightest how it effects them.
You won the league, enjoy it. Or don't. No one cares.

Dante

Average bang

Wow. Just wow.

Wow. Just wow.

Errrm...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Every time this thread jumps by 20 odd posts, I wonder what is being talked about outside of the same state of inertia that was apparent a good month ago now.

Having visions of those advocating the continuation of the league beyond a certain point of feasibility being the type you'd see in those dystopian movies cheering on the Hunger Games or Running Man.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Feck Liverpool. Void the league and start next season as usual. That's when football is back. No need to rush this, no need to be a smartarse and try to fit matches here and there. Void it now. Let one club complain. It means nothing at this rate.

Falcow

Feck Liverpool. Void the league and start next season as usual. That's when football is back. No need to rush this, no need to be a smartarse and try to fit matches here and there. Void it now. Let one club complain. It means nothing at this rate.
I agree with this. If they are as good as they think there are then they should win it next year anyway.

With the world cup starting in November 2022 maybe there is an opportunity(not the right work here I know) to somehow tie the next couple of seasons in with the November start date?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Growing appetite for Premier League season to be abandoned on moral grounds. PL executive: "Just end this league, with whatever consequences that has. There are very few losers. Liverpool, I know, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter.”

Judas

Open to offers
It's a good article and looks like finally some sense is being spoken, shame its taken this long for people to realise football means feck all at the moment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think like most people running a succesful business, they don't want the gravy train to stop. I'm glad there is some actual sense coming to the fore, finally.

Member 101269

this morning information is that some airlines are cancelling work of pilots until September...

Over the last view days we've heard that clubs are taking money from fans and allegedly a rep for some players saying it's not right players lose salary. It immoral that rich want more while some are having to take helicopter money..

CrackersJr

cum covered cherries
They can't suspend an entire industry for an entire year surely?
Ehhh they most certainly can... top level footballers and football clubs will come out the other side of this relatively unscathed.

I work in the leisure industry and we were supposed to have our first big event this weekend (200 clients) and then would have 1 or 2 events that are around that size a week from now till September. Our first event is in August now and still might not go ahead...

On top of which the school part of of our company had been shut until July at earliest. They absolutely can shut an industry down for a year.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
These repugnant, self-absorbed twats need a reality check. Upwards of 20% unemployment coming for the population at large, poverty levels will sky-rocket, homeless figures will likely multiply by any number you wish to offer and these clueless, multi-millionaire, self-important, bubble-living idiots think the public are worried about bloody football?!

There’s a backlash coming (and to be honest, it’s a long time coming) for the vacuous, egomaniacal world that is modern football. It’s an awful shame that it took a global humanitarian crisis to instigate it, but here we are.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Naive from the FA IMO.

The two reasons they give are financial and to enable planning for next season. Both of those assume the pandemic and its impacts are all resolved by July. The clubs are deluded if they think they can go back to playing football and getting fans in as normal that soon. There is no financial argument to void a season. That decision does not allow more football to be played and more revenue to be generated by clubs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just scanning to see if anything new from
  1. Liverpool fans insisting it'll be played out
  2. United fans insisting it won't be
  3. People saying football doesn't matter in the circumstances.

SirAF

Ageist
Growing appetite for Premier League season to be abandoned on moral grounds. PL executive: "Just end this league, with whatever consequences that has. There are very few losers. Liverpool, I know, but in the grand scheme of things it really doesn’t matter.”
Sensible approach.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
You want the new testing kits to be given to footballers so we can get the season started again (so your club can try and win the league) whilst there's doctors and nurses without PPE, who can't get tested themselves and the UK is just entering a lock down.

Come on mate. What planet are you on.
This.
Jesus that is actual insanity even thinking that. Really, really loopy.

Member 101269

Dear The FA,
Over the last week I, along with a number of fans, have become disillusioned by the arguments for sustaining current thinking. This thinking is not only divergent from current knowledge, but comments from associates and reports around season tickets are also, to put it simply, self-entered and verging on immoral. If reports are true that players are worried about their salaries, perhaps they should pay attention to nurses, doctors, and other self-giving individuals. I saw images of a manager helping, he was wearing gloves and had a mask for that one moment, while others around him had no protection. These types of promotions do not sit well, they promote the haves and have nots. The rich are crying we need are salary, while the rest of us take helicopter money to pay for season tickets without a return date for football or without, it seems, a science-based or moral approach to handling this situation.
While this situation continues you are not winning, you are losing, losing people from the game. It's time you, no football, "take it on the chin". Do what you've done in other leagues and cancel everything until further notice.

Edited: At 11:15am I received an email from United saying they have decided to suspend renewals and;
If all remaining home games are cancelled or played behind closed doors, we will reduce the cost of your 2020/21 Season Ticket (by the value of the four games missed). If you do not intend to renew there is a form to fill in
If any individual home games are cancelled or played behind closed doors we will automatically issue a pro-rata refund to the card used to pay for your cup match tickets

At last some sensible communication, i suspect cancellation is coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
This thread has the most deluded Liverpool fans I have ever, ever seen.

Seems it's driven them crazy.

Scriblerus

Bill Shankly : Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.
Coronavirus : Bollocks to that.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Sensible approach.
Agree, as posted previously. The league would be voided already if there wasn't ££££ money involved.

On the sporting side, trying to finish after 30th of June could present big problems. Lots of players contracts expire, the clubs can't force them to extend to finish the season. Just on the sporting side, would be ludicrous to continue when team strengths could be changed hugely by that.

Could cause serious legal problems too.

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
Could you imagine the banter if we actually signed Sancho Grealish and another striker and won the league next season

cyberman

The more i think about it, the more i cant see European football returning next season.
If that were to happen it would solve a lot of problems.

Brightonian

I don't quite understand the 'football doesn't matter, therefore cancel the season' angle. Of course football matters less than people's lives, health, jobs and livelihoods. But what they decide to do about the football isn't really connected to any of those things. They have to make a decision regardless.

For me the correct option remains that they wait as long as necessary before safely starting up the current season again. They then make adjustments to the following season as necessary. Partly that's the fairest way to resolve the situation, and yes it's also the most financially prudent. But that financial prudence doesn't come at the expense of people's health, so why is it being discussed as if it would be a callous decision?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't quite understand the 'football doesn't matter, therefore cancel the season' angle. Of course football matters less than people's lives, health, jobs and livelihoods. But what they decide to do about the football isn't really connected to any of those things. They have to make a decision regardless.

For me the correct option remains that they wait as long as necessary before safely starting up the current season again. They then make adjustments to the following season as necessary. Partly that's the fairest way to resolve the situation, and yes it's also the most financially prudent. But that financial prudence doesn't come at the expense of people's health, so why is it being discussed as if it would be a callous decision?

The sensible decision is clearly to wait, yes.
But there simply has to be a cut off to this wait for thd reasons we've poured over.

The "indefinite" thing was just the FA putting a brave face on it and trying to show every one they'll do all they can.

I dare say our guide will come in the other big european leagues, as well as obviously monitoring the progression of the virus.
Numbers are still going up. That obviously needs to not only peak and reduce but to stop and show as being stopped for a substantial time once all lockdown measures have been removed, for any talk of football to even begin.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You want the new testing kits to be given to footballers so we can get the season started again (so your club can try and win the league) whilst there's doctors and nurses without PPE, who can't get tested themselves and the UK is just entering a lock down.

Come on mate. What planet are you on.

Deluded and insane just so they win the fecking League! :mad:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Just had this from United

As you may be aware from discussions over the past few weeks, there is a firm commitment from the governing bodies to try to complete the domestic season in full.

The coronavirus pandemic has however created an unprecedented situation. While we await final decisions in the hope that scheduled games can still be played in front of fans, we wanted to update you on our planned approach for when decisions are made.

• If all remaining home games are cancelled or played behind closed doors, we will reduce the cost of your 2020/21 Season Ticket (by the value of the four games missed). If you do not intend to renew, please fill in this form and we will automatically issue a pro-rata refund to the card used to pay for your cup match tickets

• If any individual home games are cancelled or played behind closed doors we will automatically issue a pro-rata refund to the card used to pay for your cup match tickets

• To update the card held for cup payments please click below, a guide on how to do this can also be found on the ST Hub

• If matches are postponed, your tickets will remain valid

The Season Ticket renewal deadline, initially 1 May, has also been suspended. This will be continuously reviewed and a new deadline will be put in place once there is confirmation of the start date of the 20/21 season. The club commits to giving as much notice of the revised renewal deadline as possible given the evolving situation.

Please visit ST Hub for daily updates on fixtures and a full statement.

We continue to monitor this rapidly-evolving situation day-by-day. The health of our fans, players and staff is incredibly important to us and we encourage you to continue to follow UK Government health guidelines.

Given the volume of calls the ticket office is currently managing, we would kindly ask you to refrain from calling us at this time unless your enquiry is of an urgent nature – our team are working remotely and will be in touch with all Season Ticket holders over the next few weeks.

Once there is more certainty around the fixture schedule, we will be back in touch to provide further information.

Deluded and insane just so they win the fecking League! :mad:
its nothing new with these ‘fans’. Im
Sure they have someone writing a book already.

“we dared to dream again - and only God and coronavirus could stop us from our destiny”

I know it’s hardly pithy - but I’m sure the deluded will lap it up.

Redcy

You genuinely thinking cancelling next season, or say cutting it in half, is more financially prudent than culling 25% of this season?

El Zoido

Why ruin two seasons when abandoning it would just affect one? Say we resume 19/20 season in November, and finish it by the end of the year, then what? No football until August? Start a new season in April? There’s also considerations with other leagues, and European competition.