Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

El Zoido

Some bright sparks had an idea

“tv mega event”? Seems like a hard sell. If the title was still being contested I could see potential in the idea but top four and relegation battle really isn’t all that engaging to fans who don’t support the involved clubs. BCD football sucks, absolutely everyone involved will just be desperate to get it over with.

Gasolin

I'm surprised people can't see the way this is going.

Clearly going to get ditched. The recent comments from UEFA, the FA cancellation of lower leagues and now players speaking out about not wanting games BCD and the season being cancelled. Liverpool fans need to mentally prepare for this as it's going to hit hard.
Forget Liverpool fans, we are going to get ditched from the CL unless we somehow prevent Sheffield United to play against Villa, and UEFA upholds the ban against City. Lots of conditions for us to be in the CL next year. It's a pity because I believe our squad is ready and on the CL stage would surprise a lot of teams, including the strongest ones, given the way we play, and how Ole seems to improve the whole structure of the team.

Redcy

Players are also at risk and since it attacks respiratory system, it could cause lasting damage that we might not be aware of. Also criteria for damage for normal public is different from football players. I think most players will revolt against the idea of playing in quarantine environment till we have medical assessment of the damage it can cause. Dont know how clubs can legally force players to play in pandemic situation.
They can't and as someone has said what happens when one person in the whole event is found with it?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Forget Liverpool fans, we are going to get ditched from the CL unless we somehow prevent Sheffield United to play against Villa, and UEFA upholds the ban against City. Lots of conditions for us to be in the CL next year. It's a pity because I believe our squad is ready and on the CL stage would surprise a lot of teams, including the strongest ones, given the way we play, and how Ole seems to improve the whole structure of the team.
There’s going to be some tough realities for several teams but there’s still no guarantee that things are back to normal by August.

There’s no point in having lower league sides start a season behind closed doors when some are so reliant on their match day revenue, not unless there’s some kind of bail out for those clubs.

Football and all sports will have to take a backseat for a while imo.

Am I the only one who doesn’t miss it? The highs are great but football is pathetically tribal and I don’t miss the anxiety and increased heart rate involved when the stakes are high.

Dante

Average bang
The Midlands? Birmingham is a coronavirus hotspot. Get tf out.

It needs to up north if anything.
The mean average geographical coordinate across the 20 PL teams is (52.40078, -1.18581).

So the best place in terms of minimising travelling distance would be a place called Catthorpe.

Sorry. This lockdown is making me crazy.

Josh 76

There’s going to be some tough realities for several teams but there’s still no guarantee that things are back to normal by August.

There’s no point in having lower league sides start a season behind closed doors when some are so reliant on their match day revenue, not unless there’s some kind of bail out for those clubs.

Am I the only one who doesn’t miss it? The highs are great but football is pathetically tribal and I don’t miss the anxiety and increased heart rate involved when the stakes are high.
I'm starting to get use to it as well.
As someone once said.
"When you win no one remembers, when you lose no one forgets."

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Oh that's ok then.
Even if the whole City team beg the FA to award Liverpool the league, it misses the point again.
That it's not all about Liverpool.

What does Gundogan reckon about sorting all the other positions across tiers?
If it's not all about Liverpool then why do you care if they are awarded the title? This whole thing is bigger than football isn't it? Then why care what happens with the title no matter how they decide?

This is what I don't get with this whole argument, people here say this is bigger than football and the league should be canceled etc etc but when someone says okay cancel the league and give the title of Liverpool everyone's panties get twisted, it's like they suddenly forget they are not supposed to care about football :lol:

Don't have relegation/promotion etc, but give the titles to the leading teams and give them the prize money based on it. No football, so no one is on danger, win win?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If it's not all about Liverpool then why do you care if they are awarded the title? This whole thing is bigger than football isn't it? Then why care what happens with the title no matter how they decide?

This is what I don't get with this whole argument, people here say this is bigger than football and the league should be canceled etc etc but when someone says okay cancel the league and give the title of Liverpool everyone's panties get twisted, it's like they suddenly forget they are not supposed to care about football :lol:

Don't have relegation/promotion etc, but give the titles to the leading teams and give them the prize money based on it. No football, so no one is on danger, win win?
Because that is what the thread is here for. Discussing it.

What you propose won't happen. That's what we call textbook trolling.

Woke up to the headline banner on gmb saying how the premier league are facing calls to cancel the season on moral grounds.
Will be interesting to see how it progresses

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Re: bolded part, regardless of the particular situation in England, it just wouldn't be fair. It would be too random for Italy, Spain, Germany, ... You have some obvious cases like Belgium, England, France but even those teams haven't won the title so why give it to them? It would feel hollow and undeserved.

The problem with comments like "just give Liverpool the title" is that it doesn't even address half of the issues they're faced with, so it's just a pointless thing to say. You either come up with a viable solution for all parties, from Liverpool all the way down to the last team in League Two, or you just keep your mouth shut. If you only comment on Liverpool, you're coming across as pretty ignorant imo (although Gundogan probably got asked that exact question so there's that).

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
  • The Serie A season could be cancelled on Monday as the coronavirus crisis shows no sign of loosening its grip.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Miss the games. But not the bile online, the over analysis and dissecting every element.
Just simply watching my two teams.

But unlike some fans whose game going is their whole life, i can deal with not having games to go to. Older i get the more i embrace the summer for a break from it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
  • The Serie A season could be cancelled on Monday as the coronavirus crisis shows no sign of loosening its grip.
Wow. If the other main euro leagues go that way it certainly tips things that way in ours.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I think it's very clear 99.9% of people (and that's an at best estimate) don't want a void for moral reasons. United fans want to laugh at Liverpool and Spurs/Arsenal fans want to escape their horror season's with criminally undeserved CL football.

Tbh it's well more than Liverpool, they're still overwhelming favorite's next season regardless so in the grand scheme of things it won't affect them THAT badly, if anything it will make the worst one's even more insufferable when they finally do it.. However look at Sheffield United for example, their league finish will probably dictate their long term future so they deserve a chance to play out the season and attempt to grab CL football which is in their hands.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Wow. If the other main euro leagues go that way it certainly tips things that way in ours.
No chance that it gets cancelled today. Standard clickbait gossip to keep the clicks going.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If they do it, they do it, but the chances of it not ending badly have to be incredibly slim. And the idea that Liverpool fans in particular will stay at home to celebrate is far fetched.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No chance that it gets cancelled today. Standard clickbait gossip to keep the clicks going.
I think there's a general mood change of certainty that it'll all complete to bits and pieces that it won't.

We haven't even seen our own peak yet and the experts say they can't even judge for another 2 or so weeks!
So that lockdown seems inevitable to be extended past the original 3 weeks at best and taken to more extreme levels at worst.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think there's a general mood change of certainty that it'll all complete to bits and pieces that it won't.

We haven't even seen our own peak yet and the experts say they can't even judge for another 2 or so weeks!
So that lockdown seems inevitable to be extended past the original 3 weeks at best and taken to more extreme levels at worst.
You were 7-10 days behind us with the lockdown I think? We expect our peak in the beginning of April, so realistically yours wouldn't be before the middle of April (depending on how the public adheres to the rules as well, obviously).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Because that is what the thread is here for. Discussing it.

What you propose won't happen. That's what we call textbook trolling.

Woke up to the headline banner on gmb saying how the premier league are facing calls to cancel the season on moral grounds.
Will be interesting to see how it progresses
What I suggested is not even what I want. What I've wanted from the start is the season to end with the league places, or average points, deciding the final league standings and promotion etc. My comment was purely the hypocrisy of people here, and explayers, who want to show as if they are concerned for the public with their opinions but infact obviously want a solution that denies Liverpool the title. That is why I'm commenting that if all you care about is public safety then why wouldn't you agree with giving Liverpool the title? But then the argument turns into one about 'fairness' and what about other clubs. But again I thought this doesn't matter in the face of a pandemic?

For me, just voiding the season and completely removing all the hard work teams have put in for 75% of the season, and also letting teams that have been shite get a free pass for another season, is ridiculous.

The amount of free money Norwich will get over a team that would've been promoted, Spurs will get for playing in the UCL again over Sheffield, is ridiculously unfair. If we didn't play the season out as much as we did canceling it would've been more viable but the fact that so much of the season has been played and to completely throw it out the window is ridiculous.

1st option is ofcourse to try and play it out in as safe a surrounding as possible, behind closed doors. If not, then stop the season and let the final league standings be determined by average points.

MalcolmTucker

The death-rate is really going to ramp up in the next couple of weeks in the UK and I imagine the idea of starting the football season again will seem ridiculous.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The death-rate is really going to ramp up in the next couple of weeks in the UK and I imagine the idea of starting the football season again will seem ridiculous.
Its looking likely it will peak (possibly badly) in April then start going down.

It's at that point the slow introduction back to society will be looked at and discussed.

Scriblerus

What I suggested is not even what I want. What I've wanted from the start is the season to end with the league places, or average points, deciding the final league standings and promotion etc. My comment was purely the hypocrisy of people here, and explayers, who want to show as if they are concerned for the public with their opinions but infact obviously want a solution that denies Liverpool the title. That is why I'm commenting that if all you care about is public safety then why wouldn't you agree with giving Liverpool the title? But then the argument turns into one about 'fairness' and what about other clubs. But again I thought this doesn't matter in the face of a pandemic?

For me, just voiding the season and completely removing all the hard work teams have put in for 75% of the season, and also letting teams that have been shite get a free pass for another season, is ridiculous.

The amount of free money Norwich will get over a team that would've been promoted, Spurs will get for playing in the UCL again over Sheffield, is ridiculously unfair. If we didn't play the season out as much as we did canceling it would've been more viable but the fact that so much of the season has been played and to completely throw it out the window is ridiculous.

1st option is ofcourse to try and play it out in as safe a surrounding as possible, behind closed doors. If not, then stop the season and let the final league standings be determined by average points.
The rules of the Premier League state that positions are decided at the end of the season, and the season comprises each team playing each other team home and away. That's what clubs signed up for. Try to change that and relegate teams based on current standing, or average points, and the lawyers for affected teams will take the PL to the cleaners.

deleon

Playing in quarantine is such an unrealistic idea. You're talking players, backroom staff, referees, broadcasting crew, groundskeepers, even the ball boys all having to be separated from their families. And then there's the logistics of feeding 600+ people (assuming everyone does their own cleaning & laundry). This kind of quarantine is not foolproof; all you need is one of the support staff to be infected through outside contact or fomites for it to spread.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Its looking likely it will peak (possibly badly) in April then start going down.

It's at that point the slow introduction back to society will be looked at and discussed.
It's almost cute that you think this is true.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's less ridiculous, and more a very unfortunate result of what is a totally unprecedented world crisis.

My other boys Wycombe would benefit largely from the average points thing, as we were 1/2nd for most of the season, but are currently 8th, but just 3 points off 2nd with our game/games in hand.

But unlike a lot of United fans who just want it rucked off to spite Liverpool, i'd void it even though my lower league boys would lose out.
This is all "if" it can't be completed by a reasonable date. Which can be debated.

Rooney24

Playing in quarantine is such an unrealistic idea. You're talking players, backroom staff, referees, broadcasting crew, groundskeepers, even the ball boys all having to be separated from their families. And then there's the logistics of feeding 600+ people (assuming everyone does their own cleaning & laundry). This kind of quarantine is not foolproof; all you need is one of the support staff to be infected through outside contact or fomites for it to spread.
It is by far the worst idea of all the ideas that have been rumoured so far precisely for all the issues that you mention plus there are many more.

Rooney24

It's less ridiculous, and more a very unfortunate result of what is a totally unprecedented world crisis.

My other boys Wycombe would benefit largely from the average points thing, as we were 1/2nd for most of the season, but are currently 8th, but just 3 points off 2nd with our game/games in hand.

But unlike a lot of United fans who just want it rucked off to spite Liverpool, i'd void it even though my lower league boys would lose out.
This is all "if" it can't be completed by a reasonable date. Which can be debated.
Is that the reason?

Im not gonna lie I will laugh my balls off if Liverpool are denied the title out of this. Absolutely I will. Its a comedic "benefit" of all of this if I can call it that.

But its by far the main reason for not continuing with the league. United are well placed to get a CL spot, why would we want the league called off now to deny ourselves that?

But the logistics of continuing, ensuring fairness for all clubs, safety of players, officials, and all associated with the game if it is to continue in my opinon (at this moment in time with and with the Government saying this could go on for six months) are pretty much insurmountable.

Thats why it should be called off.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The rules of the Premier League state that positions are decided at the end of the season, and the season comprises each team playing each other team home and away. That's what clubs signed up for. Try to change that and relegate teams based on current standing, or average points, and the lawyers for affected teams will take the PL to the cleaners.
Lower national leagues have already been canceled and they are beginning to get sued as well by teams that are losing out a lot by having the season voided and not getting promoted, there are some that had mathematically confirmed promotion and those that were very close to it. So the lawyers thing is going to happen in any case, whether the season is voided or not. Sheffield are going to lose out on an opportunity to get into Europe since they will lose Henderson after this season ends so this is an opportunity they won't get back.

Awarding the placings based on the current standings is fair because a lot of the season has been played and teams should get the rewards for their performances, while those that have been poor should not get a respite for next season. This can be consistently applied to every level of leagues.

If Wycombe are going to suffer and you still feel that it should be voided then you're right I shouldn't lump you in with the rest. Can just agree to disagree. I still feel it's harsh to not reward teams for their effort this season but what bugs me more are teams that have clearly been piss getting a free pass for next season.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Is that the reason?

Im not gonna lie I will laugh my balls off if Liverpool are denied the title out of this. Absolutely I will. Its a comedic "benefit" of all of this if I can call it that.

But its by far the main reason for not continuing with the league. United are well placed to get a CL spot, why would we want the league called off now to deny ourselves that?

But the logistics of continuing, ensuring fairness for all clubs, safety of players, officials, and all associated with the game if it is to continue in my opinon (at this moment in time with and with the Government saying this could go on for six months) are pretty much insurmountable.

Thats why it should be called off.
I agree with this.