Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You'd still need security for anybody who decides to show up. Fans are stupid and will show up even if they can't watch the game, you'd need police to keep them out and under control. Also if you take away those ambulances then what if the people at the care homes need them?

You'd probably need just as many people if you hosted a match at Carrington as you would for Old Trafford.
I'm not sure about other training grounds but Carrington is fairly secure and is a large area with many football pitches. Fans showing up outside -- that's obviously a problem but with a bit of common sense clubs could maybe persuade fans to stay away. Police wouldn't be needed as there is private security and those ambulances could be bought I suppose although they'd probably cost a fortune seeing as they cost a fortune at the best of times. In any case I was just illustrating a point of how they actually want the games to go ahead to be televised so the money doesn't have to be given back feck all to do with finishing the league for the supposed pl brand or integrity of it.

tenpoless

This could well be proven to be right but that would mean another season in the EL for us and I doubt we get Sancho either. Is that worth it just to laugh at them lot? Is that what we've become?

That's like a Bolton fan I grew up with who once admitted to me that he was okay with them being relegated that particular season because United won nothing.
That's a really far comparison. What makes you think Sancho will join us if We get CL anyway? there's no guarantee of that. And at this point it's not just about Liverpool winning the league, it's also about to try and prevent the virus from affecting more people. Football players included. I will be content with United winning nothing and play in EL next season, pandemic isn't a joke. Football means nothing at this point. There's always next season, next world cup, next euro but We have a limited time when it comes into saving lives.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It will be a long, long time before we see any sport permitted, crowds or not. Hopes of champions league qualification are completely pointless as it will be even longer before the champions league is back and the idea that the qualifiers from this disjunctive season will take precedent over the next complete, legitimate domestic season’s qualifiers is daft at best.
I should have explained it better. When i said gradualy i didn't mean just football, things in general. For example school's will likely reopen at an earlier stage than pubs, you'll be allowed to hang out in groups of 3 well before you can in big groups etc we will get things back in a gradual way like we were slowly eased into the lockdown, unless the unthinkable happens.

Sport BCD won't be close to the very first thing on the agenda ofcourse not but it will be assessed at some point likely at the point the spread is down enough that it wouldn't be a strain on NHS services to have ambulance at the matches.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Exactly. It totally eliminates any idea of fairness. Which is why it is a complete non runner.

On a very simple level how is it fair that Spurs come to play us at OT earlier this season but would now have to play us at a neutral venue behind closed doors in this scenario?
I've had an issue with the use of "fair" or "unfair" from the get go. As soon and this virus ramped up and all football was suspended indefinitely, nothing was going to be fair about it. Whatever happens, certain people and clubs are going to get screwed over. Whatever decision they make, a substantial amount of people will feel aggrieved and disagree with it. It's just impossible to please everyone. Initially, i said i would like the season to be played out if it could within a sensible timeframe. I don't want this season to impinge on next season, so i would have a cut off date. Although, saying that, you could cancel this season now and next season could still be affected if this virus is still causing problems, so there's no guarantees.

It's the moralising i have a problem with. Journalists pontificating about sporting integrity and how playing out the season no matter what is the only "honest" way to go about it. Absolute shite.

You'd still need security for anybody who decides to show up. Fans are stupid and will show up even if they can't watch the game, you'd need police to keep them out and under control. Also if you take away those ambulances then what if the people at the care homes need them?

You'd probably need just as many people if you hosted a match at Carrington as you would for Old Trafford.
This is a major overlooked point. According to the laws of the game they need to have emergency ambulances (care ambulances are no good), paramedics and doctors at games, its a non starter to think otherwise, and there is practically no scenario where a minimum 10 sets of emergency equipment and personnel is going to be allowed to go and sit unused for the 4 hours required for a football match.

Bwuk

The SPFL is looking like it's going to end early.

It's delusional that the FA think they can ride this out and have some sort of Premier League Virus Village. I'm not sure half the players would remotely be up for it, the majority of games would be dead rubbers with zero interest and it's not worth the risk of public safety.

Fed up reading about it being unfair etc, we have people dying because of this f*cking virus, people losing jobs and being financially f*cked. That's what's unfair, not Liverpool not getting a league title.

stevoc

As fun as it is to make the scousers squirm over all this......it's probably not in our interest for the season to be totally voided. If it was we'd end up back in the Europa League AGAIN and I don't think we get Sancho in that scenario either.

As things stand in the league we have every chance of getting 4th place (or 5th if City ban is upheld) and we even have a chance in Europa League if that still goes ahead (doubtful).

I think I'd rather be back in the big time and be able to get Sancho over seeing Liverpool end up with nothing. The fun of watching them miss out won't last that long but a full season in Europa will be a lot lot longer.
With how things are going we would be doing well to even be in a position to start a 20/21 season. And if we do, which is probably a big if at this stage. Then i doubt European competition will be part of that due partly to possible travel restrictions and logistics of the amount of matches that could be played depending on when the new season starts.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Playing in quarantine is such an unrealistic idea. You're talking players, backroom staff, referees, broadcasting crew, groundskeepers, even the ball boys all having to be separated from their families. And then there's the logistics of feeding 600+ people (assuming everyone does their own cleaning & laundry). This kind of quarantine is not foolproof; all you need is one of the support staff to be infected through outside contact or fomites for it to spread.
what if asymptomatic players infect each other?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Miss the games. But not the bile online, the over analysis and dissecting every element.
Just simply watching my two teams.

But unlike some fans whose game going is their whole life, i can deal with not having games to go to. Older i get the more i embrace the summer for a break from it.
I'm not managing to avoid this yet. Liverpool fans seem to apoplectic on any kind of social media post about football, even when it doesn't concern Liverpool.

I saw a post on Instagram about Juve players taking a pay freeze for a few months, and the comments was all Liverpool fans losing their minds about the league being cancelled, moral champions etc. They are everywhere, angrier than ever and invading any discussion about football.

I should probably stop reading any football news where there is a comments section.

you only need to look as far as the last PSG match to see you will get a load of idiots congregating outside of the grounds.

you can’t televise the matches either, as you now have a load of people that can’t watch the match at home who would usually go to pubs and or friends houses - guess what, a lot of people will go working friends houses to watch the matches.

we all know a large proportion of football fans are idiots, il afraid we have to take them into account when planning to start football again. Clearly there are a lot of people who just cannot be trusted, and we have to cater for the lowest common denominator.

caveat being, clearly you can play matches at the Ethihad and there would be no issue in conforming to social distancing.

predator

Youth NITK
At first it seemed hilarious that liverpool could be denied their first league title in 30 years but now it doesn't really matter. This virus has put everything into perspective. Even if they are allowed to carry the league on and win it, it will lose its significance from the outer world. We aren't even allowed to leave our houses for anything that isnt essential. Watching 22 men kick a ball around is the last thing on peoples minds.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
you only need to look as far as the last PSG match to see you will get a load of idiots congregating outside of the grounds.

you can’t televise the matches either, as you now have a load of people that can’t watch the match at home who would usually go to pubs and or friends houses - guess what, a lot of people will go working friends houses to watch the matches.

we all know a large proportion of football fans are idiots, il afraid we have to take them into account when planning to start football again. Clearly there are a lot of people who just cannot be trusted, and we have to cater for the lowest common denominator.

caveat being, clearly you can play matches at the Ethihad and there would be no issue in conforming to social distancing.
Just imagine Liverpool on their title winning match, the scouse will be out in droves near their training ground and in the streets of Liverpool.

Just imagine Liverpool on their title winning match, the scouse will be out in droves near their training ground and in the streets of Liverpool.
exactly - and in this instance, idiot supports of any team will be doing the same.

What if Villa stay up by scoring in the last min of the last game? What about the championship, L1 and L2? It’s ridiculous, you would be diverting spreading the virus very quickly

deleon

what if asymptomatic players infect each other?
Exactly. So many things can go wrong.

And even if it does work out, it's pointless if other leagues do not follow suit. What's the use of relegation battle if lower leagues are cancelled and no teams are promoted? What's the point of European qualification if none of the other major leagues end up producing entrants?

Snafu17

MSK Žilina are apparently in liquidation, so there's your first football casualty. They were the Slovakian champions just a few years ago.

AlwaysRed66

Exactly. So many things can go wrong.

And even if it does work out, it's pointless if other leagues do not follow suit. What's the use of relegation battle if lower leagues are cancelled and no teams are promoted? What's the point of European qualification if none of the other major leagues end up producing entrants?
There isn't any point, but the only reason they (PL) will try to attempt it is so they can get their millions from Sky/BT. There is no other reason.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm not managing to avoid this yet. Liverpool fans seem to apoplectic on any kind of social media post about football, even when it doesn't concern Liverpool.

I saw a post on Instagram about Juve players taking a pay freeze for a few months, and the comments was all Liverpool fans losing their minds about the league being cancelled, moral champions etc. They are everywhere, angrier than ever and invading any discussion about football.

I should probably stop reading any football news where there is a comments section.
Moral champions :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
Who swung that?? Harry Kane? Or am I missing anything?
Noise coming from the SFA about their season being cancelled, comments from UEFA about the June deadline for completion, the FA cancelling lower league football..

Everything gradually moving away from finishing seasons off to simply ending them in my opinion

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Noise coming from the SFA about their season being cancelled, comments from UEFA about the June deadline for completion, the FA cancelling lower league football..

Everything gradually moving away from finishing seasons off to simply ending them in my opinion
Yeah, it is now and matter of when not if.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'd say there's been a huge swing towards the season being cancelled now.
Not just this season. I wouldn't be surprised if next season is put off because of this as well, at least until it's safe for players to compete again. I don't think we'll see any European competition for a while either.

Devil may care

Yep. One position can't be decided in isolation. Why should we accept 5th when we could have finished 3rd? And if all can't agree, then void it is. Anyway, let's concentrate on saving lives amd getting over this crisis. The football can wait...however it's eventually resolved.
Yeah, it's going to be an all or nothing situation I imagine, they can't pick and choose which positions to let stick, I mean we all know Liverpool have all but won the league but technically you can't operate like that as it then calls into question every other position in the league.

Yeah it's not just the players risking the virus. It seems like they want them to play a feck-load of games in a short period of time, risking injuries and their future earnings.
Good point, especially since the players haven't done any training for week which will be month by the time this ludicrous plan is proposed to come into action.

Are there any more of these - the bottom one.
Yeah, on his facebook page there are lots of vids in this mold and he has a Youtube channel with some of them on as well.

I hope not. How would that pan out for top four, top six and relegation battle?
It wouldn't, at the end of the day everything gets completed or nothing does is my guess, but I could see the PL giving Liverpool some kind of pity plaque just to shut their fans up from whining.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
I'd say there's been a huge swing towards the season being cancelled now.
It seems very likely and makes sense with this virus around.
Until a vaccine is produced it will be very difficult to come back to normality unfortunately.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The SPFL is looking like it's going to end early.

It's delusional that the FA think they can ride this out and have some sort of Premier League Virus Village. I'm not sure half the players would remotely be up for it, the majority of games would be dead rubbers with zero interest and it's not worth the risk of public safety.

Fed up reading about it being unfair etc, we have people dying because of this f*cking virus, people losing jobs and being financially f*cked. That's what's unfair, not Liverpool not getting a league title.
I don't get why they can't just delay for as long as it takes. Either that or play the games behind closed doors when things have eased a bit.

The football league doesn't have to follow suit and the PL teams have TV contract money that will make up for the lost gate receipts.

Any other solution is a legal nightmare. Obviously it's way down the list of what's important at the moment, but at some point this will all ease off and they need a way to move forwards. Nulling the season or awarding things on current placing will just move things further backwards.

Everyone seems to be in a rush to sort things out but I don't see the pint when there's not even a guaranteed date one way or the other when they can start things up again. It's like sprinting to catch the train when you don't even know what time the train is

Righteous Steps

At first it seemed hilarious that liverpool could be denied their first league title in 30 years but now it doesn't really matter. This virus has put everything into perspective. Even if they are allowed to carry the league on and win it, it will lose its significance from the outer world. We aren't even allowed to leave our houses for anything that isnt essential. Watching 22 men kick a ball around is the last thing on peoples minds.
People keep saying this but it’s not true, if it’s the last thing on people minds why are so many people talking about it on social media, forums Instagram Twitter, I mean people played football literally in the midsts of war, even in times of sorrow and death people will always need some type of escapism, so no it’s not the last thing on peoples minds, in fact to a large number of people who actually have interest in football is near the top of things they miss.

People keep saying this but it’s not true, if it’s the last thing on people minds why are so many people talking about it on social media, forums Instagram Twitter, I mean people played football literally in the midsts of war, even in times of sorrow and death people will always need some type of escapism, so no it’s not the last thing on peoples minds, in fact to a large number of people who actually have interest in football is near the top of things they miss.
It’s more a turn of phrase.

it’s clearly very low on everyone’s priority list (‘pool fans aside). Whereas millions of people would be looking forward to the weekend and football, the vast majority realise that it’s just not important anymore given the situation.

that doesn’t mean people aren’t thinking, or writing about it, or hoping football will return quickly when safe to do so - just that distancing, and feeding your family have suddenly become areas we need to concentrate our efforts on.

christinaa

Gossip Girl

You might like to know that the League was:

1939–40League aborted due to World War II
–​
1940–46League suspended due to World War II

gagliardisports247

Things just arent clearing anytime soon. I wish I could also watch the matches but its always better to be safe than sorry so its best to just cancel the games. Im going to spend more time watching football replays.

Member 101269

Some thing to guide thinking

Whistleblowers silenced by China could have stopped global coronavirus spread | 60 Minutes Australia (YouTube)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

They're finally getting it

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
That's a really far comparison. What makes you think Sancho will join us if We get CL anyway? there's no guarantee of that. And at this point it's not just about Liverpool winning the league, it's also about to try and prevent the virus from affecting more people. Football players included. I will be content with United winning nothing and play in EL next season, pandemic isn't a joke. Football means nothing at this point. There's always next season, next world cup, next euro but We have a limited time when it comes into saving lives.
Agreed 100% The league should only be restarted when it is safe to do so. Even if it takes 3-6 months or more. In reality It should only be domestic games for the next 12/18 months. Maybe Euro 20/21 could be the restart of European players playing against each other again? For the 20/21 season they should scrap the League Cup and Community Shield. If they do think it's achievable to play Champions and Europa League games, start it in January? Play extra league games in the midweek slots and International break slots also

They could make them free to air? Would be a great way to keep people in and encourage them to stay at home. Would be a good time for non football fans to do their shopping etc also?

Gavin2012

I think it's very clear 99.9% of people (and that's an at best estimate) don't want a void for moral reasons. United fans want to laugh at Liverpool and Spurs/Arsenal fans want to escape their horror season's with criminally undeserved CL football.

Tbh it's well more than Liverpool, they're still overwhelming favorite's next season regardless so in the grand scheme of things it won't affect them THAT badly, if anything it will make the worst one's even more insufferable when they finally do it.. However look at Sheffield United for example, their league finish will probably dictate their long term future so they deserve a chance to play out the season and attempt to grab CL football which is in their hands.
Don't think cl or el football will be played for sometime. Can't see players wanting or travelling abroad for a bit.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Agreed 100% The league should only be restarted when it is safe to do so. Even if it takes 3-6 months or more. In reality It should only be domestic games for the next 12/18 months. Maybe Euro 20/21 could be the restart of European players playing against each other again? For the 20/21 season they should scrap the League Cup and Community Shield. If they do think it's achievable to play Champions and Europa League games, start it in January? Play extra league games in the midweek slots and International break slots also

They could make them free to air? Would be a great way to keep people in and encourage them to stay at home. Would be a good time for non football fans to do their shopping etc also?
You need to come to terms with the fact it's very unlikely the league will resume and it seems odds on it will be scrapped.