Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Sparky Rhiwabon

There should be no title and no relegation but prize money could be allocated based on current standings perhaps.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If they're awarded it without actually winning it by being top of the table after 38 games, fair and square via real sporting achievement. It'll just be like that Harry Kane "goal" against stoke?

Other football fans will never accept it as a real title?

Could they actually refuse it and say they want to win it properly once a new season starts?
Their form had fallen off a cliff when the season was suspended, who knows what would have happened?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
If the PL is abandoned, I don't mind if Liverpool are given the title. I just hope promotion and relegation is written off completely, as it just wouldn't be fair at all (and also Leeds lolol)
Harsh on the top 2. I'm still for promoting them and making it 22 league next season. Sky would be up for that with the extra viewing figures Leeds would bring.

Or even start the season with play offs but bottom 3 v top 3 from the championship. Home and away legs (behind closed doors of course). Winners stay or go up.

First we need to play the spare game v Sheffield United though. ;)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Their form had fallen off a cliff when the season was suspended, who knows what would have happened?
Correct but we all saw how toothless Man. City were versus you on the same weekend so Man. City weren't winning all the games in the run in anyway (especially with all the extra cup games).

Harsh on the top 2. I'm still for promoting them and making it 22 league next season. Sky would be up for that with the extra viewing figures Leeds would bring.

Or even start the season with play offs but bottom 3 v top 3 from the championship. Home and away legs (behind closed doors of course). Winners stay or go up.

Last thing we need is an extra 4 games in the PL next year. It’s likely to be a truncated time frame as it is. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice the cups for more league games.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Championship will do well to fit in their 46 game season plus play offs next year, interested to see what they do.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Championship will do well to fit in their 46 game season plus play offs next year, interested to see what they do.
Probably 2 games a week and no play-offs. It's 23 weeks though.

The 3pm rule will remain lifted for next season I imagine, if the season starts in August, I think games will behind closed doors or with very limited numbers until November/December. If all goes well and there isn't a 3rd or 2nd wave we could return to some level of normality in January.

Too many variables to speak of right now though, maybe we won't have a Champions League or an FA Cup or a League Cup. UEFA will be desperate to have the Euros happen next summer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool have to have Derby 07/08 form in the last 9 games to blow it ans even then will only be punished if City win every game.

It won't happen, not even once in a million.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

Harsh on the top 2 yes, but even harsher on the current bottom 3. None of those teams are mathematically immovable in those positions. Far too much still to play for in the relegation and promotion battle in both divisions to use the final standings. No action feels much fairer than relegating 3 teams who all had the opportunity to avoid it.

3 play off ties could be fair.

1st vs 20th
2nd vs 19th
3rd vs 18th

I'd just have them as one off games in a neutral ground. No real need for home and away if there's no fans.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Season as it is, is the worst option of all as it is just completely unfair on all but Liverpool and Leicester. I mean, even if they do that and then promote WBA and Leeds, how is that the fair on the teams 3-6th in the Champo who could all still get mathematically promoted? What about Utd, Wolves, Sheff Utd etc, who could all get CL? If WBA and Leeds get promoted how do they fit in an extra four rounds of football with the football calendar as it is already? It is an absolute disaster whichever way you slice that option.

For me, it has to be either play out the season or void. As much as I would love to see the Dippers denied the title, the play it out option is the best. However, if it cannot be played it has to be void, all other suggestions are just a disaster waiting to happen.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Season as it is, is the worst option of all as it is just completely unfair on all but Liverpool and Leicester. I mean, even if they do that and then promote WBA and Leeds, how is that the fair on the teams 3-6th in the Champo who could all still get mathematically promoted? What about Utd, Wolves, Sheff Utd etc, who could all get CL? If WBA and Leeds get promoted how do they fit in an extra four rounds of football with the football calendar as it is already? It is an absolute disaster whichever way you slice that option.

For me, it has to be either play out the season or void. As much as I would love to see the Dippers denied the title, the play it out option is the best. However, if it cannot be played it has to be void, all other suggestions are just a disaster waiting to happen.
The only carrot I could dangle would be to say to likes of Forest and Fulham, o.k no going up this season but best ever chance next season with no one being relegated with parachute payments and still three promotion places in play.

cvb

Supports
City
I've been thinking about this for a while. One thing that seems abundantly clear is that the world is going to be a very different place post-pandemic. I honestly couldn't care less if Liverpool are awarded the 2019-20 title. They were going to win it at a canter. If that's the main obstacle, give them the trophy, because the idea of attempting to rush back to complete a season that was suspended because of an event of this magnitude feels crass at best (and most certainly violates the integrity of the game ).

What happened in Bergamo should be more than warning enough for what could happen if we try and resume football too soon. In my opinion, any resumption must include fans, which implicates mass gatherings.

The unfinished nature of the season is creating unhelpful (dangerous) pressure to resume football at the earliest possible opportunity. COVID has been underestimated time and again. There are lots of details that would need to be sorted out (promotion/relegation, Europe etc), but the priority should be resuming football only when it is considered most safe to do so. It seems the only way that this can happen is by voiding the seasons across Europe.

Reactions: Penna

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Let's assume football can't return until August and that June is too soon. Obviously within weeks this may look totally unrealistic and there may be many holes you lot can pick out but it's just a bit of brainstorming fun.

Bear in mind no European football until September. Games can be played behind closed doors for first few weeks if large crowds restrictions still haven't been lifted.

August 8th 2020:

- Resume PL season with 2 games a week
- FA Cup 1/4 finals to be played one midweek

5th September 2020:

Conclude PL season

8th September 2020-9th September 2020:

FA Cup Semi-finals

12th September 2020:

FA Cup Final

15th September 2020-16th September 2020:

Play remaining CL knockout ties (e.g. City v Real at the Ethihad) (play-offs during this period too)

17th September 2020:

Play remaining EL knockout ties (e.g. 2nd leg of Man United v LASK)

19th September 2020-27th September 2020:

- Play 3 EL games (1/4 final, 1/2 final and final) in Gdansk
- Play 3 CL games (1/4 final, 1/2 final and final) in Istanbul
- Season ends with Champions League final Sunday 27th September 2020
- Summer transfer window opens officially

24th October 2020:

- New Premier League season begins following 7 week break
- No European matches
- 2 league games a week the priority as no European Games
- League Cup scrapped for 20/21 so that PL games are the priority for mid-week
- Nations League scrapped, Only 1 international break in March for Euro 2021 play-offs.
- FA Cup games fitted in as normal

1st November 2020:

- 'Summer' transfer window shuts

4th April 2020:

Premier League season ends after 25 weeks.

11th April 2020:

FA Cup final.

18th April 2020:

- Champions League and Europa League tournament kicks off
- CL held in one country (e.g. Russia)
- EL held in another country (e.g. Spain)
- 7 games for the eventual winner. 1 leg group games and 1 leg knockout

17th May 2020:

- Season ends with Champions League final.

12th June 2020:

- Euro 2021 kicks off

12th July 2021:

- Euro 2021 concludes

August 2021:

- Premier League season starts on time again
- CL returns to usual format
I think that actually points to how unlikely it is that we will be able to play every game. That doesn't mean the season will be voided but i don't think this plan is workable especially as I think we will still be locked down to some degree until 2021 at least.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I had my legs slapped yesterday by a Mod in relation to my post about children dying of malaria. I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologise to all those who were offended by my comments, which were highly inappropriate & uncalled for.
Everyone is stress. We are just trying to keep a lid on things while emotions are running high. Thanks for taking the intervention in the spirit it was meant.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Players who were about to be unemployed will be happy. Their club's less so.
The only person winning out of that statement by FIFA are employment lawyers.

Simply put, the clubs will turn around and say the Contract is frustrated and therefore they are no longer obliged to perform the Contract.

Fifa are arguing that large terms should be implied into Contracts which most judiciaries are reluctant to follow.

Whoever brief Fifa has done a piss poor job.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The only person winning out of that statement by FIFA are employment lawyers.

Simply put, the clubs will turn around and say the Contract is frustrated and therefore they are no longer obliged to perform the Contract.

Fifa are arguing that large terms should be implied into Contracts which most judiciaries are reluctant to follow.

Whoever brief Fifa has done a piss poor job.
Forcing clubs and players to extend contracts will cause a shit storm of legal action in all directions. It is probably against EU law I would have thought.

Red00012

A lot of people’s opinion here with no substance.
I’ll be scrolling until I see the tweet symbol for a few weeks.

TheReligion

Abusive
Admit it. You're still going to be gutted however we win it.
This is literally THE worst way to win anything. Total anti climax and the whole world is more interested in far more important things that are going on.

Seriously you must be gutted after such a wait. The season will always be known as that season and not the one you finally won the PL.

Moiraine

Norway, one of the countries that has dealt with the corona virus the best, has stated that any sporting event before June 15 is impossible. This means that it will probably take longer than this.

I think it's pretty clear that we can't finish the current season and play the entirety of the 2020-2021 season. It will be interesting to see which of the two gets prioritized at the end of the day. I hope it's the next season, personally.
I don’t think so, the testing is far less than the other countries and the fact that they have intended to open schools and kindergartens on 20th of April is absolutely ridiculous. It is highly risky and will end up killing more of their citizens.

I would say the safest strategy is to keep this social distancing going til the end of summer vacations, they are a month away anyway. Same goes with the Sporting events and other activities.

Woodzy

Would it be an insane idea to play out the rest of this season whenever reasonable and then cancel next season? Or is the financial impact too great?

My thinking is that it will free up some time to get the Euros done and by summer 2021 we can return normal schedule.

Maybe some one off tournaments can be arranged to get club teams active (I know it’s probably nowhere near a straight forward as I’m making out).

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
My season is currently being debated as to whether it will be null and void or if we are happy with finishing the season under a PPG scenario.
I voted for null and void, it's the only sensible outcome.
The fact it could be different from league to league is harmful to the integrity of football as a whole in this country.

Redcy

Would it be an insane idea to play out the rest of this season whenever reasonable and then cancel next season? Or is the financial impact too great?

My thinking is that it will free up some time to get the Euros done and by summer 2021 we can return normal schedule.

Maybe some one off tournaments can be arranged to get club teams active (I know it’s probably nowhere near a straight forward as I’m making out).
a whole season of no income you mean? What do you think would happen? Almost no clubs have cash reserves that could sustain them, the pl might see half lost, the ego would be dead I expect.

stevoc

Going down that road would lead to the teams in the football league seriously struggling with many going out of business.

TheLord

By one mathematical model created by researchers at the University of Washington, the UK will be the worst hit among all European countries in the first wave of the infection accounting for nearly 40% of European deaths (~66,000 deaths), which would be almost three times Italy’s expected toll (~20,000 deaths).

There are far many predictive models created by different researchers to go through, but a few things are almost certain - COVID-19 is just getting started in the UK, football will not resume for at least a few months, and the Premier League will be one of the last European leagues to restart.

Last edited:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
a whole season of no income you mean? What do you think would happen? Almost no clubs have cash reserves that could sustain them, the pl might see half lost, the ego would be dead I expect.
Yep. I think even this season being cancelled will be very difficult for the entire football pyramid:

There are some mitigating factors for these numbers for some clubs (well I'm sure for all to some extent) but for me, this shows how difficult a lot of these clubs will find any prolonged period off. Even if things restart, I doubt it will be straight back to normal crowds.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
First Ronaldo's Mum Eh? said:
- It won't get cancelled.
- Take a look at the scenario I ran in this page. It's not going to go for months. The lockdown is supposed to be 3 weeks. That will help flatten the curve. As long as they flatten the curve and numbers come down on a daily basis, they will ensure it gets played BCD.
- yeah all signs indicate a return to football, albeit BCD.
- Listen, we are heading into April and realistically have until July to find a way for this season to start again. April to July is 3 months.. 3 months!!! That's an eternity.
- Listen It's only April. This will be finished. The peak is supposed to be mid to late April. Numbers will come down after this.
- bundesliga is starting in May... and some on here some think it's out of the real of possibility for our league starting in July (2 months after) You guys are incredible.
- EL and CL looking to restart again in July and August.. yet we continue to have people berate me and tell me there is NO CHANCE football returns.
- Yes. Football will be back in July or August ladies and gentlemen! This season will be finished.
- If italy will get back up again, england will get there sooner.
- I believe this season will be finished. UK 3 week lock down means we're looking until at least April 17th. From here, worst case scenario give it 1 month for cases starting to decline = May 17th.
Then Ronaldo's Mum Eh? said:
- Looks like more and more leagues are handing out titles to the first placed team.
- If they go the belgium route they can crown liverpool champions
- Scottish Premiership clubs expected to back abandonment and give Celtic title
- Looks like more and more leagues are handing out titles to the first placed team.
and finally Ronaldo's Mum Eh? said:
@Pexbo Do you still want to bet that football won't be back?
@Ronaldo's Mum Eh? you are a very odd boy.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A lot of people’s opinion here with no substance.
I’ll be scrolling until I see the tweet symbol for a few weeks.
But some of the tweets are pure conjecture or based off individual people's opinions too.
Unless you mean the tweet that confirms what is happening?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not gonna happen mate. Said it right from the start. Has it ever actually been on the table ? It's only been mooted by those who have an agenda, & something to gain, from what I can see. That's why United fans - in their droves - have convinced themselves it's going to happen.
More teams will gain from voiding the season. Every team that could mathematically go down will instantly be in favor. There's about 12/13 at the moment that would probably benefit from it.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
This is literally THE worst way to win anything. Total anti climax and the whole world is more interested in far more important things that are going on.

Seriously you must be gutted after such a wait. The season will always be known as that season and not the one you finally won the PL.
Oh yeah, it's obviously not the ideal way to be crowned champions after a 30 year wait. TBH, I think the word 'gutted' is not really appropriate - to either party - considering what's going on in the real world. But hopefully when all this is over & we're concentrating on football matters once again, Jurgen Klopp can motivate his players to do it again so we can all celebrate in style.