Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Ace of Spades

Not gonna happen mate. Said it right from the start. Has it ever actually been on the table ? It's only been mooted by those who have an agenda, & something to gain, from what I can see. That's why United fans - in their droves - have convinced themselves it's going to happen.
Nobody knows what's going to happen. Voiding the league is on the table, but it is going to be the option only if the season cannot be completed.

The lack of self awareness is astonishing in your post, as you keep spouting your own agenda yourself even though you have no clue of what the future holds. Unlike you though, United fans are not in denial nor aware of the different possibilities that could happen. The only one with an agenda who is convincing themselves that everything is fine and that Liverpool being champions is a matter of time, which is ridiculous is you, when there is very little certainty of when things will be back to normal.

Redcy

Not gonna happen mate. Said it right from the start. Has it ever actually been on the table ? It's only been mooted by those who have an agenda, & something to gain, from what I can see. That's why United fans - in their droves - have convinced themselves it's going to happen.
No the issue is that the only option they have been given is "as is", or finish the season, so yes people have obviously said they will finish it. This comes down to the TV money, etc, if people were offered the void as a real option by the FA I think it would likely be more popular, especially if it becomes clear that we cant restart soon.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
More teams will gain from voiding the season. Every team that could mathematically go down will instantly be in favor. There's about 12/13 at the moment that would probably benefit from it.
Cancelling the season with current placings standing as final is what'll happen I reckon, with no relegation but with Leeds & WBA making up a bigger Premier League for just the one season. I'll be surprised if there's any European competitions next season given the fact that international flights may be a long time in resuming, so no clubs would be affected in terms of league placings. There'd be far less legal repercussions to contend with that's for sure. Voiding the season & expunging all records of a season that's three-quarters complete would be like dropping a legal profession H bomb. Even more so if they started a new season that also had to be voided because of the virus.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Nobody knows what's going to happen. Voiding the league is on the table, but it is going to be the option only if the season cannot be completed.

The lack of self awareness is astonishing in your post, as you keep spouting your own agenda yourself even though you have no clue of what the future holds. Unlike you though, United fans are not in denial nor aware of the different possibilities that could happen. The only one with an agenda who is convincing themselves that everything is fine and that Liverpool being champions is a matter of time, which is ridiculous is you, when there is very little certainty of when things will be back to normal.
See my latest post.

Redcy

Cancelling the season with current placings standing as final is what'll happen I reckon, with no relegation but with Leeds & WBA making up a bigger Premier League for just the one season. I'll be surprised if there's any European competitions next season given the fact that international flights may be a long time in resuming, so no clubs would be affected in terms of league placings. There'd be far less legal repercussions to contend with that's for sure. Voiding the season & expunging all records of a season that's three-quarters complete would be like dropping a legal profession H bomb. Even more so if they started a new season that also had to be voided because of the virus.
Do you know what I think this is a possibility they might consider if there is no CL, my assumption previously was that there would be euro comps, without them some of the headaches go away. Assuming that I could see people agreeing to stick as is, as it would not affect very much. The only other ramification would be for the 3-6 places for the championship. Its possible they may bring 3 up even, i am not sure how you deal with the EFL though, but I guess its possible too.

The problem would definitely be next year in dropping five teams though, also could be an issue with payouts for TV rights which I assume are based on 20 teams, again probably resolvable.

Redcy

I see this as more likely than your original suggestion of "we must see the season out".

ROFLUTION

Of course planes will fly again come august. Busses are invented too. The money you get for playing European would cover a private plane in these times in itself. UEFA, the public and the players, the clubs, the tv stations all have interest in playing European. Where there are big interests, there's a way.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I don't think null and void will happen, nor do I want it to, but it's certainly been mentioned as an option by more than just embittered United fans. Simon Stone's BBC article about all the options mentions it's an option as a last resort, and some sort of precedent has been set already as the FA have expunged all football from Tier 5 and below. I would say it's definitely on the table, but it's not preferable.

My personal order of preference:

-Play out the rest of the season
-Current standing are final, Liverpool win the title, but all promotion and relegation is expunged from all top 4 divisions. Domestic football divisions for the 20/21 season are the same as 19/20
-Null and void
-Current standing are final, Liverpool win the title, and all promotion and relegation places are honoured

The last one would be total chaos IMO, and that one should be the last resort. Too many teams are still in with a shout of survival and promotion to consider that.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not sure why you refuse to accept the season may still be voided? I get it you're desperate for it not to be but it most certainly is on the table and the reasons why are pretty obvious. Truth is no-one knows what will happen.

SirAnderson

100% this. Well with the added fact that there is no champion as no one mathematically earn that title.
So stands as is yes.

SirAnderson

I don't think null and void will happen, nor do I want it to, but it's certainly been mentioned as an option by more than just embittered United fans. Simon Stone's BBC article about all the options mentions it's an option as a last resort, and some sort of precedent has been set already as the FA have expunged all football from Tier 5 and below. I would say it's definitely on the table, but it's not preferable.

My personal order of preference:

-Play out the rest of the season
-Current standing are final, Liverpool win the title, but all promotion and relegation is expunged from all top 4 divisions. Domestic football divisions for the 20/21 season are the same as 19/20
-Null and void
-Current standing are final, Liverpool win the title, and all promotion and relegation places are honoured

The last one would be total chaos IMO, and that one should be the last resort. Too many teams are still in with a shout of survival and promotion to consider that.
How can Liverpool win something they haven't won.
A Mercy give sounds better.
Or just not give a title to anyone and leave the table as is, no relegation either, since they didn't earn the right to be relegated, just like the title hasn't been mathematically won.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I see this as more likely than your original suggestion of "we must see the season out".
Yep it's the sensible option all round really. If PL clubs are asked to vote on this motion only Arsenal, Spurs and not Utd (ironically considering the fanbase wishes) would vote nay. Even Karen IveNotAClueWhatImDoing Brady wouldn't nay this. I've slowly begun to accept continuing the season is hazardous.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
100% this. Well with the added fact that there is no champion as no one mathematically earn that title.
So stands as is yes.
You realise there will be a trophy presentation to the club with Liverpool's name etched on it? Don't mean to burst your bubble or anything but just preparing you if this scenario plays out.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
You realise there will be a trophy presentation to the club with Liverpool's name etched on it? Don't mean to burst your bubble or anything but just preparing you if this scenario plays out.
Null and void still the dream but the thought of Henderson lifting a trophy in an empty stadium and no crowds in the city centre does genuinely warm my heart.

Was proper dreading the title run in this year as it was a procession, would have been a media frenzy for weeks.

:)

SirAnderson

Oh no bubble burst here, don't worry.
I'm well aware there is that tiny possibility of that when before it was a full blown conclusion. Happy to accept it in its current form.
My only point is if that is the eventuality, then at least get the semantics right, you guys didn't win it, but it was mercifully given in a time of crisis. As to not, would cause another pandemic of epic proportions.

stevoc

But if this virus doesnt go away they might not have a choice?
Certainly a possibility yes, but if they do have a choice then i would hate to see clubs go out of business because they prioritized finishing 20% one season over the entirety of the next.

stevoc

Thats basically the same as voiding the season though. If theres no relegation, no Euro places and no champions then whats the difference between the current placings standing and voiding the season?

Redcy

Of course planes will fly again come august. Busses are invented too. The money you get for playing European would cover a private plane in these times in itself. UEFA, the public and the players, the clubs, the tv stations all have interest in playing European. Where there are big interests, there's a way.
Thats basically the same as voiding the season though. If theres no relegation, no Euro places and no champions then whats the difference between the current placings standing and voiding the season?
Liverpool get to say they have won it, even if its with a bit of an asterisk on it.

Pav1878

Yep it's the sensible option all round really. If PL clubs are asked to vote on this motion only Arsenal, Spurs and not Utd (ironically considering the fanbase wishes) would vote nay. Even Karen IveNotAClueWhatImDoing Brady wouldn't nay this. I've slowly begun to accept continuing the season is hazardous.
I don't get it. Why wouldn't United nay this if we stand to lose out on a champions league place?

Redcy

I think it would only happen if there is no europe next year though as a rider to it, if there is european competition it will definitely be more messy.

Pav1878

This thread just seems like a plethora of Liverpool fans saying voiding the season is 'never gonna happen' because it would be legal nightmare and affects more teams; coupled with United fans saying it is still on the table and would be the less destructive option.

All the views here are biased towards loyalties. The truth is no one knows what's going to happen!

Voiding the season affects teams, and so does using the current standings. But surely using the current standings will adversely affect more teams? That's just obvious. The ones in the relegation zone, the ones just out of champions league places and then the ones who are trying to gain promotion.

Anyway, hopefully they take the route that is least destructive.

Reactions: Penna

Alabaster Codify7

Mad isnt it - there's plenty of planes flying AS WE SPEAK, around the world, let alone bloody August/September.
Especially if you're talking a private plane for a football team to travel to a ground behind closed doors, for example.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sounds like they've done the analysis and have worked out the logistics of it and it's now a case of figuring out whether a window will open to let this happen.

56 days being 8 weeks or approximately 2 months.

If the point of this is to figure out the positions for next season, they're going to want this wrapped up before August which will require the matches to have started at the beginning of June. If we factor in a pre-season they're going to need sanctions to be lifted in early May around a month from now.

Seems incredibly unlikely they are going to get that window without impacting the start of next season and next season's completion has the added pressure of finishing early enough for the Euros to not be impacted.

That's assuming the virus has eased off enough for the medical staff and police to be free enough to oversee these games, even BCD.

El Zoido

It’ll have eased off enough by June to get things going again. Enough for BCD matches at least.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sounds like they've done the analysis and have worked out the logistics of it and it's now a case of figuring out whether a window will open to let this happen.

56 days being 8 weeks or approximately 2 months.

If the point of this is to figure out the positions for next season, they're going to want this wrapped up before August which will require the matches to have started at the beginning of June. If we factor in a pre-season they're going to need sanctions to be lifted in early May around a month from now.

Seems incredibly unlikely they are going to get that window without impacting the start of next season and next season's completion has the added pressure of finishing early enough for the Euros to not be impacted.

That's assuming the virus has eased off enough for the medical staff and police to be free enough to oversee these games, even BCD.
"Pre-season" starting early June, first games mid-June and ending the season mid-August might be possible. That gives the players 2-3 weeks off after finishing the season, 2-3 weeks pre-season for the 20/21 season and a start of the new season at the end of September. I think they'll be able to do 38 games with a month less to work with if they know that from the beginning, when they're doing the scheduling.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
"Pre-season" starting early June, first games mid-June and ending the season mid-August might be possible. That gives the players 2-3 weeks off after finishing the season, 2-3 weeks pre-season for the 20/21 season and a start of the new season at the end of September. I think they'll be able to do 38 games with a month less to work with if they know that from the beginning, when they're doing the scheduling.
Which Cup do you think will be scrapped for that? I assume that also means no mid-season break which was negotiated with the Euros this summer in mind?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
By the end of this story, thousands of people would have died or rendered unemployed. The EPL should be sensitive about it by declaring this season null and void. If Liverpool complain then they should be crowned the corona virus winners or something of that sort.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Which Cup do you think will be scrapped for that? I assume that also means no mid-season break which was negotiated with the Euros this summer in mind?
No idea, is it even possible to just scrap a domestic cup? If so, League Cup seems the obvious answer... Or just play a few more mid-season games, one game for each team during the winter break, finish the season one week or 10 days later, ... Enough options available, it's certainly not ideal with the Euros after next season but it's exceptional circumstances for everyone of course.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
No idea, is it even possible to just scrap a domestic cup? If so, League Cup seems the obvious answer... Or just play a few more mid-season games, one game for each team during the winter break, finish the season one week or 10 days later, ... Enough options available, it's certainly not ideal with the Euros after next season but it's exceptional circumstances for everyone of course.
Sky pays £120m a year for League Cup highlights... time to start negotiating compensation with them again I guess?

It's clear how much of a nightmare this scenario is and how it can put next season into jeopardy and this is assuming the unrealistic scenario that this window opens at just the right time.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Oh no bubble burst here, don't worry.
I'm well aware there is that tiny possibility of that when before it was a full blown conclusion. Happy to accept it in its current form.
My only point is if that is the eventuality, then at least get the semantics right, you guys didn't win it, but it was mercifully given in a time of crisis. As to not, would cause another pandemic of epic proportions.
Not sure record books hold semantics. Stats are usually just black and white: 19 - 6. :)

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It’ll have eased off enough by June to get things going again. Enough for BCD matches at least.
Not in the UK. They dont have the hospitals to cope with the pandemic. They will be full for months.

Id say in the likes of Germany it could start up. They are able to use private hospitals alongside the public system.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If a match between two teams is abandoned three quarters through, because of a lightning strike or sudden blizzard or something, does the game count as finished and the score stands as it is, or is it restarted with the old scoreline and they play just another 20 minutes, or do they count the match as null and void and play again, the full 90?

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Mad isnt it - there's plenty of planes flying AS WE SPEAK, around the world, let alone bloody August/September.
Especially if you're talking a private plane for a football team to travel to a ground behind closed doors, for example.
As of right now, NATS (the air traffic control service provider for the UK) is handling 10% of its usual traffic; of the traffic that is flying, almost none of it is passenger aircraft. Right now on my display I can see a lot of helicopters servicing the North Sea rigs as per usual; almost everything else is military, emergency services or survey aircraft taking advantage of lack of traffic.