Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

philipos

Except if there’s another outbreak next autumn/winter which is quite possible so I think next season will need to have slack built in rather than a month less.
"Pre-season" starting early June, first games mid-June and ending the season mid-August might be possible. That gives the players 2-3 weeks off after finishing the season, 2-3 weeks pre-season for the 20/21 season and a start of the new season at the end of September. I think they'll be able to do 38 games with a month less to work with if they know that from the beginning, when they're doing the scheduling.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
More teams will gain from voiding the season. Every team that could mathematically go down will instantly be in favor. There's about 12/13 at the moment that would probably benefit from it.
Okay.. what about promoting 3 new teams, crowning liverpool champions and not relegating any teams... have you considered that?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's interesting that they've put a 56 day period on how long it'll take to finish the season.
June & July and all BCD.

That'd be pretty soulless for 2 months wouldn't it?

Presumably played in the ground of the team who were due to play at home too.
Might cause a few problems at some grounds where you can view into grounds with certain vantage points!

Not to mention a bit of a stretch to believe things have all gone away, and that you can have medical people on stand by for any injuries.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Has this Twitter thread been posted already?

Accrington Stanley’s chairman outlining the damage forcing this season to conclude will do to his, and others’, clubs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Okay.. what about promoting 3 new teams, crowning liverpool champions and not relegating any teams... have you considered that?
I can understand the "it needs to be played out" people - I get that.
I can understand the "void it" people too.

I just don't understand why on earth you would mess with division sizes and things like that.

Why it be fair to not relegate whoever is 20th, when they're probably as far adrift of staying up, as 1st and 2nd are in the division below?
And how the heck would you decide on 3rd?

SharpshooterTom

What happens if there is a second outbreak in the winter? Will football be suspended for 3-4 months next season too?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Regardless of how this seasons “plays” out I expect the PL to introduce new rules in case of something similar happening in the future. Broadcasters and sponsors will likely also look to amend existing contracts or draw up new ones with clauses regarding pandemics, natural disasters (possibly already included) or Trump brainfarts leading to a nuclear holocaust.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What happens if there is a second outbreak in the winter? Will football be suspended for 3-4 months next season too?
A lot seem to suggest one will come. No idea where it stirs up from, but at least we'd have some sort of idea what to do next time. And "could" be well down the line of getting some sort of vaccine.

But your scenario is why some people think we have to finish this season over starting next.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Adding 3 new teams to the PL without relegating any? Do you know how many new matches the League has to prepare for if that happens?

manutddjw

I think it needs to be said that this is bigger than whether Liverpool get their title or not. Any talk of voiding the season invariably leads to how hard done by Liverpool are.

Any plans of playing the season out behind closed doors results in a mass gathering which has been strongly advised against. The full squad would need to train and then you add the coaches, trainers, medical staff, cooks and drivers. Then for the players to stay at a hotel requires a full staff. To operate a behind closed doors games to be televised, you then need people to operate the stadium and then a production team to broadcast the game. You're looking at hundreds of people to just stage a single game let alone 10 a day. It's just not smart.

From a club perspective, you'd then have to pay wages in full for everyone involved preparing for the game and that's without the matchday revenue to offset some of the costs. Clubs would in effect lose money to play these games. Again not smart.

stevoc

Liverpool get to say they have won it, even if its with a bit of an asterisk on it.
Would they?

If theres no teams being relegated, no teams getting into Europe then why are Liverpool being declared champions before they've actually won it?

That would basically just be like voiding the season but giving Liverpool the title for the sake of it.

spiriticon

Giving Liverpool the title without sorting out the rest of the league if a bit of a cop out.

If the league has to be ended now and the current positions taken as final, then so be it. But do it for all. Come on.

5th place is alright. We just need to make sure City's CL ban is upheld and we have ourselves CL football next season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If a match between two teams is abandoned three quarters through, because of a lightning strike or sudden blizzard or something, does the game count as finished and the score stands as it is, or is it restarted with the old scoreline and they play just another 20 minutes, or do they count the match as null and void and play again, the full 90?
I think it's flexible. A Real game got abandoned once on 85 minutes and they played the last 5 at a later date, but some get completely abandoned and have to start from scratch.

SirAnderson

The more and more news I watch and articles I read, its just obvious that there will be no football played for at LEAST 3 to 4 months. So all options presented are useless. This 56 days to finish the league, ain't never going to happen.

Paul_Scholes18

I think top 5 should play a mini league to determine the winner. Then do the same for Europe and relegation.

TheLord

On a bright note, with bleak economic forecast for all teams, those with a strong core of young players should theoretically benefit from the impending virus-induced transfer (semi) embargo for at least a few windows. Younger players will benefit with more playing times. The nonsensical rumours like Gareth Bale and Ronaldo to United will disappear for good. With such a protracted break, and the possibility of a congested season, injuries will be a huge factor in the upcoming season. Teams with a small playing squad may suffer, and managers not keen on rotating players will be in for tough times. Good physios will be more important than ever.

United should benefit with a core of really bright youngsters. If Chelsea youngsters can really shine through (Mount - 20, Abraham - 21, Hudson-Odoi -19, Pulisic - 21, Gilmour - 19, James - 20 and at least one dozen on loan), they may be the biggest winners. But again, that is a big “if”. Teams needing a big overhaul of their playing squad like City or Spurs may suffer.

It is hard to predict how things will pan out over the next year or so. Will acquiring players be easier because several clubs will need to sell to get their finances straight or will it get tougher as smaller clubs will tie their players to long-term contracts because survival in the top flight will be exceedingly important? If lots of matches of the new season will be played BCD (very likely), Sky/BT may want a revision of their expensive deal with the Premier League. TV cash will decrease in the next season, more so as domestic cups competitions will be curtailed.Teams with relatively low wages:turnover ratio (like Tottenham) should benefit. If BCD will be the norm next season, teams with a large fraction of their turnover attributed to gate receipts will suffer, with United topping the list, or may be Spurs, because they are sitting on a huge pile of debt (~500 million) in their big stadium. There is a lot of confusion over whether European matches will even take place next season. With dwindling gate receipts, decreased sale of merchandise and possibly reduced domestic TV money, Champions League windfall will be like gold-dust for teams that qualify. Spurs and Arsenal got very lucky for nothing. Players like Willian, Gotze and Vertonghen who were looking for one last sign-on fee once their contracts end in June will find it extremely difficult to find decent sign-on money. It is impossible at this stage to guess the number of way this economic downslide will affect player transfers in the near future. One thing is certain - obscene player transfer fees and agents’ fees will decrease for good - some bubbles will burst.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
On a bright note, with bleak economic forecast for all teams, those with a strong core of young players should theoretically benefit from the impending virus-induced transfer (semi) embargo for at least a few windows. Younger players will benefit with more playing times. The nonsensical rumours like Gareth Bale and Ronaldo to United will disappear for good. With such a protracted break, and the possibility of a congested season, injuries will be a huge factor in the upcoming season. Teams with a small playing squad may suffer, and managers not keen on rotating players will be in for tough times. Good physios will be more important than ever.

United should benefit with a core of really bright youngsters. If Chelsea youngsters can really shine through (Mount - 20, Abraham - 21, Hudson-Odoi -19, Pulisic - 21, Gilmour - 19, James - 20 and at least one dozen on loan), they may be the biggest winners. But again, that is a big “if”. Teams needing a big overhaul of their playing squad like City or Spurs may suffer.
We've got that many coming through right now we're losing players simply because we have no space. Had Tariq Lamptey been at Arsenal for example he'd probably be the second best prospect behind Saka but with us he had to leave because he had two players in his position alone ahead of him.

I do agree with your general point that we both are probably best placed looking at the bigger picture, that's where Ole and Lampard come in handy, even if they ultimately turn out not to be good enough they'll leave an excellent foundation for someone's who is.

Tottenham are in more trouble than people think, they need a massive overhaul but have a chairman that doesn't spend and an impatient manager who doesn't do slow builds, got an unmitigated disaster written all over it.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I think top 5 should play a mini league to determine the winner. Then do the same for Europe and relegation.
That works if you keep the current points as a starter otherwise it’s useless. So that would mean 8 matches each with a max of 24 points available for each team. :wenger:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
As of right now, NATS (the air traffic control service provider for the UK) is handling 10% of its usual traffic; of the traffic that is flying, almost none of it is passenger aircraft. Right now on my display I can see a lot of helicopters servicing the North Sea rigs as per usual; almost everything else is military, emergency services or survey aircraft taking advantage of lack of traffic.
Don't the planes fly because they were, until 2 days ago, forced to. Empty planes.

To conserve their rights to certain routes.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I could give two fecks about that vile lot lifting the league... so long as we get to play out our games for the CL. We're right in the mix and if they keep the standings as they are -- it'll be a fecking farce!

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Don't the planes fly because they were, until 2 days ago, forced to. Empty planes.

To conserve their rights to certain routes.
The “use it or lose it” rules on slots & routes were suspended a couple of weeks back, would have been sooner but the UK is tied to the EU rules still so we had to wait for Brussels to pull its finger out as per usual.

SirAnderson

What happens at the end of April?
They will probably review it again a few days before the end of April and decide next steps. We were due to end on the 17th. The amount of new cases dropped from 42% to 4%, so the lockdown is definitely working.
To open up would just undo all that work, so it's justified. At the moment they are trying to track down every case and anyone link to every case for testing.

This is why I say for the UK to think about opening up when they see a little improvement would be silly, it would undo any effort they've already made to contain the virus.
Sure they can open certain work services gradually, but I don't think it's anywhere near that point, let alone entertain the idea of football continuing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's interesting that they've put a 56 day period on how long it'll take to finish the season.
June & July and all BCD.

That'd be pretty soulless for 2 months wouldn't it?

Presumably played in the ground of the team who were due to play at home too.
Might cause a few problems at some grounds where you can view into grounds with certain vantage points!

Not to mention a bit of a stretch to believe things have all gone away, and that you can have medical people on stand by for any injuries.
Next season will be BCD up to January I reckon.

Actually in paper today they were talking about one of those rumoured apps on phones that can state if you've had covid to eventually gain entry into football matches but I can't see that happening. We're still struggling to produce mass testing so I think any sort of app for mass population is a long way off.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Don't see why the championship dosen't just scrap play offs (don't see how you can play a play off final BCD at Wembley, same for FA cup final) and go just for top 3 to go up. It's close enough between 3rd-6th so no one is getting disadvantaged there.

Would cut down on fixtures for a start.