Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Don't see why the championship dosen't just scrap play offs (don't see how you can play a play off final BCD at Wembley, same for FA cup final) and go just for top 3 to go up. It's close enough between 3rd-6th so no one is getting disadvantaged there.

Would cut down on fixtures for a start.
Yeah, let's do top 3 in league 1 too..but obvs only after points per game average to take account games in hand. My boys Wycombe go up as 3rd then !!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Lower divisions have been voided.
Where? England? The Conference and South/north divisions were going to vote on such a thing, but with further polls on what to do next.
League 1 and 2 certainly haven't been voided.

brian017

Where? England? The Conference and South/north divisions were going to vote on such a thing, but with further polls on what to do next.
League 1 and 2 certainly haven't been voided.
All non league results this season have been expunged

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

arnie_ni

From sky sports Twitter

Nick De Marco QC insists FIFA's recommendations of contract extensions cannot be enforced under English employment law.

Judas

Open to offers
From sky sports Twitter

Nick De Marco QC insists FIFA's recommendations of contract extensions cannot be enforced under English employment law.
I wouldn't be shocked if that was true, how do you force people to extend a job contract? Take away the football element, on the surface of it, it sounds crazy.

I wouldn't be shocked if that was true, how do you force people to extend a job contract? Take away the football element, on the surface of it, it sounds crazy.
it’s a ridiculous notion and again aimed at the big clubs. Small clubs need to terminate some players contracts as soon as possible.

arnie_ni

it’s a ridiculous notion and again aimed at the big clubs. Small clubs need to terminate some players contracts as soon as possible.
I think if 30th june comes and nothing has started the pl will announce its done for this reason, but until then they will just try anything to make it seem like every angle was exhausted to get the season finished

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
From sky sports Twitter

Don’t need to be a QC to know that obviously no institution or employer can compel you to extend a contract. Likewise the suggestion that FIFA could stop players who refused the extension from signing for another club is equally not a possibility. I said a while back that contracts expiring on 30 June will be the reason leagues can’t/won’t get finished once games have to be played past that date.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
From sky sports Twitter

Shocker :lol:
Don’t need to be a QC to know that obviously no institution or employer can compel you to extend a contract. Likewise the suggestion that FIFA could stop players who refused the extension from signing for another club is equally not a possibility. I said a while back that contracts expiring on 30 June will be the reason leagues can’t/won’t get finished once games have to be played past that date.
Sure they can't, but they can prohibit them from playing games for their new team if they don't get through the administrative process. So if the option is extending until the end of the prolonged season, or not playing at all until you're allowed to for your new club, players might think twice about extending...

UEFA's comments about "30 June meaning the end of a season" is too big of a leap legally speaking, contracts need to be executed in good faith yes but interpretation only comes into play if the terms are unclear or open to interpretation. An ending date of June 30 is as clear as it gets.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Shocker :lol:

Sure they can't, but they can prohibit them from playing games for their new team if they don't get through the administrative process. So if the option is extending until the end of the prolonged season, or not playing at all until you're allowed to for your new club, players might think twice about extending...

UEFA's comments about "30 June meaning the end of a season" is too big of a leap legally speaking, contracts need to be executed in good faith yes but interpretation only comes into play if the terms are unclear or open to interpretation. An ending date of June 30 is as clear as it gets.
You’re looking at it from the perspective that automatically all clubs want to extend the player’s deals. You think Chelsea are going to want to spend millions getting a couple months more out of Giroud, Willian, Pedro? Agents will do everything they can to bleed clubs dry.
And you think someone like Willian will do that when he risks an injury playing a few more games when he knows he’ll be off after somewhere else for a new season? Why jeopardise his career? There’s no motive for him, hence his agent will demand ludicrous amounts to even contemplate it.
The way I see it, either the season gets finished behind closed doors by 30 June (virtually impossible) or it does not get finished at all.

Greck

From sky sports Twitter

That's not what it sought to do though. It's just fifa letting clubs know the limiter on seasons ending and contracts ending normally imposed won't be imposed this year. It wasn't meant to overtake local employment laws. Players would still have to agree to an extension individually. My interpretation of fifa's statement is if the players agree Fifa won't interfere or strongarm anyone like the uefa seems to be doing

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You’re looking at it from the perspective that automatically all clubs want to extend the player’s deals. You think Chelsea are going to want to spend millions getting a couple months more out of Giroud, Willian, Pedro? Agents will do everything they can to bleed clubs dry.
And you think someone like Willian will do that when he risks an injury playing a few more games when he knows he’ll be off after somewhere else for a new season? Why jeopardise his career? There’s no motive for him, hence his agent will demand ludicrous amounts to even contemplate it.
The way I see it, either the season gets finished behind closed doors by 30 June (virtually impossible) or it does not get finished at all.
It'll be one moth extra, max 2. I reckon there'll be some goodwill from both parties given the exceptional circumstances, yes. If there isn't and the season gets finished anyway, they'll be without a club or at least be barred from participating in games for the remainder of the season. That could lead to potential distortion of competition claims though.

SirAnderson

I like where this is going.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The complications will come if June arrives and there is no sight of football. extending contracts could mean another 6 months wages for 10 games and it’s likely the fringe players or players that have been allowed to run contracts down that are leaving. Or loan deals.

Letting these players go could mean leaving the squad light and with no transfer window, what are they supposed to do? It will be the single most controversial factor in destroying the integrity of this season.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It'll be one moth extra, max 2. I reckon there'll be some goodwill from both parties given the exceptional circumstances, yes. If there isn't and the season gets finished anyway, they'll be without a club or at least be barred from participating in games for the remainder of the season. That could lead to potential distortion of competition claims though.
You think there’ll be goodwill from football agents? We may be experiencing a pandemic but Hell has still yet to freeze over. For it to work you’d need goodwill on the side of the club, the agent and the player. May be the case for some but for the majority it’s going to be incredibly hard, if not just dismissed outright by one of the parties, to find an agreement.

You can’t finish a season if some teams have depleted squads due to expired contracts. Imagine Chelsea miss out on top four after losing Willian, Giroud and Pedro, but they’re unable to register Ziyech as he needs to finish Ajax’s season (and risk injury and killing his new start to life in England - another player who may refuse any such offer and Chelsea will pressure him to do so). 30 June is the latest realistic deadline for the season to finish. After that it becomes such a minefield the pressures to accept defeat and void it become too great.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The complications will come if June arrives and there is no sight of football. extending contracts could mean another 6 months wages for 10 games and it’s likely the fringe players or players that have been allowed to run contracts down that are leaving. Or loan deals.

Letting these players go could mean leaving the squad light and with no transfer window, what are they supposed to do? It will be the single most controversial factor in destroying the integrity of this season.
It's a nightmare scenario for the smaller clubs who rely solely on matchday income to cover salary costs.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The only valid ways of going about this is void of play the season out. All other suggestions are ridiculous and unfair to the majority of teams. The play it out option is best as it means more football and teams will not suffer as hard financially. However, if the season cannot be completed, then it has to be voided, no ifs, no buts.

Member 101269

For information; friends in Guangzhou say the risk alert has changed. It was low, it's now high.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
You think there’ll be goodwill from football agents? We may be experiencing a pandemic but Hell has still yet to freeze over. For it to work you’d need goodwill on the side of the club, the agent and the player. May be the case for some but for the majority it’s going to be incredibly hard, if not just dismissed outright by one of the parties, to find an agreement.

You can’t finish a season if some teams have depleted squads due to expired contracts. Imagine Chelsea miss out on top four after losing Willian, Giroud and Pedro, but they’re unable to register Ziyech as he needs to finish Ajax’s season (and risk injury and killing his new start to life in England - another player who may refuse any such offer and Chelsea will pressure him to do so). 30 June is the latest realistic deadline for the season to finish. After that it becomes such a minefield the pressures to accept defeat and void it become too great.
Pedro and Giroud have started about 12 league games this season, so not exactly essential players.

How will voiding the whole season be less of a minefield than finishing with some players missing? Teams have big squads of players and often go in to games with players missing through injury and suspension etc. In the example of Chelsea they would arguably be stronger by the time the season restarts as many of their injured players will be fit again.

Member 101269

Sad to hear. I'm assuming it's for that province? I've heard that even cases in Wuhan popped up again.
I asked three different people about gz; they don’t know each other and confirmed risk in gz officially attributed to back flow of workers.

There is some news on news gd com. Sorry I can’t write urls. The figures they quote me are surprising

SirAnderson

Pedro and Giroud have started about 12 league games this season, so not exactly essential players.

How will voiding the whole season be less of a minefield than finishing with some players missing? Teams have big squads of players and often go in to games with players missing through injury and suspension etc. In the example of Chelsea they would arguably be stronger by the time the season restarts as many of their injured players will be fit again.
And by so doing creating even more unfairness in the idea of restarting.

Can't wait to see what happens come 30 June. However it unfolds there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth regardless.

what about the lower league teams who can not afford to keep these players - as unlike the super rich PL don’t have any money. They will need to release 6-12 first team squad players (as they do every year) as they can’t afford to keep them in order to finish the season.

If then they are forced to finish the season, you will have hundreds of out of contract players without clubs and clubs playing a bunch of kids. It will be utter madness.

just for a minute think about teams other than Liverpool

hmchan

I asked three different people about gz; they don’t know each other and confirmed risk in gz officially attributed to back flow of workers.

There is some news on news gd com. Sorry I can’t write urls. The figures they quote me are surprising
As a Hongkonger, I'm not surprised if there is a second wave in China. The CCP has always been withholding information and they only release news people want to hear.

The first priority for them now is to restore everything back to normal asap so that factories can produce again. In order to do so, they manipulate the numbers by leaving out asymptomatic carriers as infected cases.

Never trust the CCP.

cyberman

Pedro, Willian and Girouds form are the reason they kicked on just before the lockdown and all 3 are out of contract this summer.

If they have to rely on Abraham and CHO they are fecked. Theyve been shit since November

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Pedro, Willian and Girouds form are the reason they kicked on just before the lockdown and all 3 are out of contract this summer.

If they have to rely on Abraham and CHO they are fecked. Theyve been shit since November
Couldn't be more wrong regarding Callum, he was brilliant all through January until he got another injury, Tammy i'll give went off the boil.

Furthermore i'd say Giroud is the only one out of those 3 thats been a significant part of our resurgence of pre lockdown, the quartet of Mount, Barkley, Kova and Gilmour were much bigger factor than Willy and Pedro.

hmchan

Imo the reason goes down to Kante. The Chelsea's midfield operated so well at the beginning of the season until Kante's return from injury in November, since then the midfield cohesion had been disrupted and their performance had started to drop. The poor form went on till he was out due to another injury in February, they have kicked on during that period as you said.

For me Kante has been the most overrated player in recent years. It's true that he's got incredible stamina and coverage but he offers nothing else. He wins a lot of possessions back but he also gives the ball away cheaply. He struggles to hold onto and bring the ball forward due to his poor technique. Many of his passes put his teammates in danger as well. He looks pretty limited in the modern game which emphasizes in all-round ability.

This season the aforementioned problems have been highlighted under Lampard's management. Chelsea have got 1.06 points per league game (19 points in 18 games) with Kante and 2.64 points (29 points in 11 games) without him. They have scored 1.17 goals per league game (21 goals in 18 games) with Kante and 2.73 goals (30 points in 11 games) without him. The lack of creativity in midfield when he is playing is pretty obvious.

Frankly, Lampard's obsession in Kante is the major reason why we are still in the top 4 chase.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Giving Liverpool the title without sorting out the rest of the league if a bit of a cop out.

If the league has to be ended now and the current positions taken as final, then so be it. But do it for all. Come on.

5th place is alright. We just need to make sure City's CL ban is upheld and we have ourselves CL football next season.
IF Liverpool are awarded the title, without season being fully played out, it will be the most hollow victory ever, bereft of any genuine validity. Their fans cant congregate to celebrate, and I think many football fans will differently about football post covid19, at least for a while.

They should take this on the chin, and go again. Got to feel bit sorry for them, no matter how hilarious it is as a United fan.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
UK projected peak is supposed to be April 17th - @ 1,674 deaths according to the IHME

The overall deaths projected have gone down significantly down to 37k until August 4th, 2020.

I believe everything is getting better and that curve will continue to flatten, we will get back to football being played as long as we are on this positive trajectory, we should have BCD action before July.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Kenny Dalglish has tested positive for CV.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Imo the reason goes down to Kante. The Chelsea's midfield operated so well at the beginning of the season until Kante's return from injury in November, since then the midfield cohesion had been disrupted and their performance had started to drop. The poor form went on till he was out due to another injury in February, they have kicked on during that period as you said.

For me Kante has been the most overrated player in recent years. It's true that he's got incredible stamina and coverage but he offers nothing else. He wins a lot of possessions back but he also gives the ball away cheaply. He struggles to hold onto and bring the ball forward due to his poor technique. Many of his passes put his teammates in danger as well. He looks pretty limited in the modern game which emphasizes in all-round ability.

This season the aforementioned problems have been highlighted under Lampard's management. Chelsea have got 1.06 points per league game (19 points in 18 games) with Kante and 2.64 points (29 points in 11 games) without him. They have scored 1.17 goals per league game (21 goals in 18 games) with Kante and 2.73 goals (30 points in 11 games) without him. The lack of creativity in midfield when he is playing is pretty obvious.

Frankly, Lampard's obsession in Kante is the major reason why we are still in the top 4 chase.
I agree with your point regarding this season, couldn't disagree more regarding his prior season's.

He made Drinkwater and Matic (after his legs went) look good.

The issue with him is that he's not suited to possession football, that's why I can't confidently say he's past his best like I can with most cases of players performance dipping strongly.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
UK projected peak is supposed to be April 17th - @ 1,674 deaths according to the IHME

The overall deaths projected have gone down significantly down to 37k until August 4th, 2020.

I believe everything is getting better and that curve will continue to flatten, we will get back to football being played as long as we are on this positive trajectory, we should have BCD action before July.
I would love that (I don't care about Liverpool winning the league anymore) but I really don't think that's going to happen.

Every other workplace in the country would be continuing with social distancing but we relax the rules for our football jesters because we demand entertainment? I don't think that's going to happen