Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If the season has to be cancelled would they not say the final standings are based on the league table at that point? Perhaps games in hand can be played behind closed doors so everyone has equal matches.

Not exactly fair but prizes and European places have to be given out, teams relegated etc or next season would be impacted too. Assuming there was a next season :nervous:
Probably. And we'd forever know they never won it properly :D

Anyway, someone nip over to Wuhan then greet their players on the way in. @esmufc07, take one for the team.
Not saying I want them to die, just be quarantined.

pauldyson1uk

Really tough call for the PL this.
However, not only Liverpool will be negatively affected if they cancel, but also us as well

if you look at the table, we are right behind Chelsea and they have been playing horrid football lately. I believe we can take that CL spot. Cancel season and we lose CL for another year
to stop Liverpool winning the PL, I would take no CL next season !!

montpelier

Football should have already have been closed down imo.

The situation is already very serious, the feckers only need another 10 points.

Snafu17

If the worse does happen & lots of people die because of this virus, then it'll make some folk on here realize just how irrelevant football really is. At this moment in time it's generally the weak & vulnerable who are at risk, but if the virus mutates then we could be looking at the deaths of millions of young, healthy, adults. It happened just over 100 years ago with the Spanish flu. Like the old saying goes : Be careful what you wish for.
There was a very specific set of circumstances that made the Spanish flu as prolific as it was. Comparing it with this particular situation is completely pointless.

spiriticon

I love for Liverpool to welcome Atletico behind closed doors at the very least!

Welcome to Anfield :lol:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
A worrying scenario for any team would be one player being diagnosed. With a 2 week incubation period surely that would mean that team couldn’t play for at least two weeks. And any team they had recently played would also be at risk. Mind boggling the number of potential issues from just a single diagnosis.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
A worrying scenario for any team would be one player being diagnosed. With a 2 week incubation period surely that would mean that team couldn’t play for at least two weeks. And any team they had recently played would also be at risk. Mind boggling the number of potential issues from just a single diagnosis.
I couldn't agree more.

The only logical thing to do at this point is to cancel the PL this year, wipe it from existence. Our safety is of paramount importance.

matt10000

No. They would just play the games behind closed doors.
Players behind closed doors can give it to each other so they could postpone games. After 60 odd days or season could not be completed it the season can be abandoned.

stevoc

There will be a huge amount of issues to be resolved if they cut short or even cancelled the league.
Placings including winners, Champions league qualification, Europa league qualification and relegation places
I think it’s more likely they would try to finish the season with remaining games played behind closed doors. Obviously that would be contingent on health risks too.
If this season was cancelled (which is unlikely) and was in effect null and void, then it would just revert to last seasons placings.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If this season was cancelled (which is unlikely) and was in effect null and void, then it would just revert to last seasons placings.
If you factor in City's Europe ban then Arsenal would qualify for the champions league. Emery in!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Pretty sure klopp has it. He should be quarantined immediately

peridigm

Italian matches postponed for two weeks. What does that accomplish? Presumably they would still play in empty stadiums.

I think the European matches are under greater threat.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Italian matches postponed for two weeks. What does that accomplish? Presumably they would still play in empty stadiums.

UEFA will be praying Lyon and Barca go thru in CL. Not much they can do about Atalanta.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

It's pretty obvious what it accomplishes isn't it? It decreases the chance that the infection can be spread domestically. Considering Italy is having particular trouble with the virus it makes perfect sense.

It makes sense on an international level too as it's not just Italians who will go to matches and some Italians that do go to matches are likely to travel internationally in the next few weeks.

SinNombre

Can't post on the CE forum and don't think I'll change the minds of people who think covid-19 is just a flu, but covid-19 is not a flu though they are both respiratory infections.

It is also 400x more fatal than the common winter flu based on the stats we have so far.

It also has an estimated R0 of 2.2 vs 1.4 for the flu. This may sound like a small difference but actually means this is way more contagious (exponent is significantly higher).

There is also a reasonable possibility that it may mutate into a variant which can cope with resistant antibodies and get a more fatal by next winters. SARS-1 showed a similar pattern but wasn't as good at spreading and we were able to contain it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's pretty obvious what it accomplishes isn't it? It decreases the chance that the infection can be spread domestically. Considering Italy is having particular trouble with the virus it makes perfect sense.

It makes sense on an international level too as it's not just Italians who will go to matches and some Italians that do go to matches are likely to travel internationally in the next few weeks.
All true.

I would suggest a worldwide air travel restriction, but that won't prevent the virus from spreading according to experts.

Paul_Scholes18

Strange to see what will happen. I think playing the games with no attendance makes sense to stop the virus. Although to cancel games is very odd.
Games have been played after worse before. It can also upset all the leagues and effect Euros.

I think to cancel the european championship might make sense though.

Fridge chutney

Actually, if you don’t have asthma or reduced immune system for some reason, the chance of dying is less than 0,1%. Just saw a Danish doctor sating that a flu in Europe can cause as much as 25.000-60.000 deaths in a season. Thus many would argue that it is less dangerous than a regular flu. To me, the Corona virus looks to be taken a little out of proportions.
This is what my doctor said. He said that medically it's nothing to be concerned about yet and he thinks people are blowing it out of proportion.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Cancel the Euros boy, just give it to the holders :devil:

golden_blunder

Staff
Can't post on the CE forum and don't think I'll change the minds of people who think covid-19 is just a flu, but covid-19 is not a flu though they are both respiratory infections.

It is also 400x more fatal than the common winter flu based on the stats we have so far.

It also has an estimated R0 of 2.2 vs 1.4 for the flu. This may sound like a small difference but actually means this is way more contagious (exponent is significantly higher).

There is also a reasonable possibility that it may mutate into a variant which can cope with resistant antibodies and get a more fatal by next winters. SARS-1 showed a similar pattern but wasn't as good at spreading and we were able to contain it.
Where is this information from?

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
The season couldn’t be cancelled, they would use the table as is and Liverpool would be the champions and United would play CL next year because City is banned for next season

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Where is this information from?
In northern Italy more than 300 people is infected with the virus and 12 died making 4% the death rate, the world unfortunately need a country besides China to give exact numbers and not the ones we are getting from China. A country doesn’t quarantine a city of 11 million people if they don’t know the virus is deathly.

Rossa

where have you got that 0.1 number from?
Well, out biggest news outlet just reported 0,9, so less than
where have you got that 0.1 number from?
from a doctor. Norway’s biggest bews outlet reporting that in China the number is 0,9 if you don’t count pepple with serious diseases or asthma, but that is for the entire population, so 0,1 for healthy young-ish people doesn’t seem all that wrong.

stevoc

The season couldn’t be cancelled, they would use the table as is and Liverpool would be the champions and United would play CL next year because City is banned for next season
I highly doubt that as it wouldn't be fair on all the other teams. While it's obvious that Liverpool will win the league it isn't at all obvious where every other team will finish at both ends of the table. So if a scenario arises where a season is ended early but not every team has played 38 games and/or played every other team in the league home and away. Then the whole league campaign would have to be considered null and void.

bleedred

I hope this happens with them just one win away and its all called off,:keano:

golden_blunder

Staff
Research over the past month. Which one in particular do you want more details on?
its just that I'm having a debate at the moment with my mother in law, who believes its all overhyped. trying to convince her that its not, she likes to stick her head in the sand for many things

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Surely the only way the season gets suspended is if multiple squads go down with the virus, then they wouldn't be able play other teams as would infect them as well. Unlikely the league would want take the risk of players laid up in hospital or god forbid dying because they're forced to play and catch it.

My view is the virus probably isn't much more dangerous than the flu, no one knows for sure. which is something of a problem.

If the players are ok, can just play without fans.

peridigm

What is two weeks going to stop? I'm not complaining that they cancelled the matches but to do it and reschedule in two weeks seems pointless. The virus is still going to be a threat, if not more in two weeks. I suspect they will evaluate again and cancel or ban fans from attending matches.