Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

TheReligion

Abusive
I’ve not refused this at all. I’m just highlighting what is driving the clubs’ desire to complete the season - which is that it’s the least complicated option. Don’t you agree?
No I don't agree. I think whichever way will be equally as complicated however given the noise coming out of football recently I feel we have moved nearer to a cancel than what you're advocating.

As I said, the line must be drawn somewhere and we can't be in this same position hanging on with no clarification rolling month after month. That's even worse.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you bothered to pay attention you will have known that the June 30th is off the table. It's no longer realistic and UEFA are planning on games being played in July and August. And likewise you can keep countering arguments in the hope that the league is cancelled but let's not act like you know for sure that the league won't resume. You have no idea what the situation will be like in a few months time and neither do I for that matter.
It's not off the table at all. The irony of your post here is you keep coming on the forum posting articles from journalists who know nothing to try and convince us, and likely yourself, the league will finish.

You need to prepare yourself for the fact it very well may not.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
it’s got nothing to do with class. It’s to do with the fact that it’s the most popular sport in the country.

the big issue for me is when I see clubs cutting the pay of the non playing staff and not cutting the pay of their players. Man Utd are paying everyone 100% so don’t have a problem with their players getting their full pay. However, it should be encouraged that someone earning millions a year makes a contribution to this crisis.

clubs like Spurms and Newcastle are pretty disgusting in that they are not paying their staff 100% of their pay, but then you have two particularly odious chairman at those clubs where money is the only thing that matters to them. They are called cnuts.
My point was a broader one. This notion that footballers earn too much money and that their salaries should be capped has been around for years but you never hear about people wanting to do similar things to sports people in other sports and/or in industries such as the entertainment industry.

As for your points abouts non-playing staff, I agree. Pay cuts in any industry should come from the top down, not the bottom up.

johanovic

Agree with a lot you are saying and my question would perhaps be if football can return to normal until a Vaccine is developed. I suspect that football stadiums will not open for fans until that time even though football could restart next season behind closed doors. Sadly the worry that many experts have is that this virus is not going away in the next weeks and perhaps a rethink of TV broadcasting needs to be developed like the possibility of buying a virtual seat at your stadium for every game + away options. The sad truth of the matter is that going to football stadiums will be one of the last things deemed safe. Bill Gates was in an interview recently stating that work is underway on developing 7 possible vaccine options so when one of them would show a positive effect then production of that one could go forward quickly. He stated this will cost billions but that was small compaired to the trillions lost. Hopefully this virus will go away in the summer and never return but I´m afraid of that will not be the case. But I´m no expert in the matter as I´m just as a afraid as the next person and pray that things return to normal a.s.a.p.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Every single Liverpool fan in this thread is adamant about finishing the current season at the expense of everything else (including human life by the looks it) while the rest of the sane world couldn't care less.

It speaks volumes for their fanbase, doesn't it :)

stevoc

But, as outlined in The Athletic, not comparable to the chaos of abandonment. Clubs have spent money based on 19/20 tv money. That’s the key point. They’ve not invested money from next season which makes next season far less important to clubs right now.
I didn't listen to it, i take it they seem to think if this season is abandoned the clubs get nothing?

Well if thats what they are saying then personally i just don't see that happening, the broadcasters and the PL will hammer out a settlement if the season is voided. Sky/BT/etc. have already made a tonne of money from subscriptions and advertising off the back of the 75% of the season that has been played.

If it gets to the point where there is not enough time to finish 25% of this season and 100% of next season then they will have a very hard decision to make. I hope this season does get finished but if we get past June, July/August at the latest i just don't see it happening. Sadly i think there will be too many parties pushing to wipe the slate clean and start over.

Next season can wait.
It can but not forever. There will be a cut off point being discussed between the PL/FA and the clubs.

stevoc

What if this pandemic carries on until March next year and football doesn't or can't restart until then?

Will the league just continue on this season next year? Or will the season have already been declared null and void by that point?
That would be my preference if things haven't calmed down until after Xmas this year. But in that scenario i think this season will have been long voided by then.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Definitely, but I'm guessing that isnt what's being discussed in these meetings, it just comes across as them wanting to do anything to get the season finished for financial reasons, the fans just seem irrelevant.
Their motives are not relevant here, football on TV > no football at all.
I’d rather watch classic matches than crappy BCD soulless crap matches. I don’t care if United get UCL this season, I don’t care who gets relegated but I don’t want to see Liverpool pick up their sympathy title for the sake of it just because they’re crying about it. Especially after their reckless and selfish decision to invite Atletico fans over when the virus had begun kicking off in Madrid.
I agree completely and hope this season just gets voided, but for the general fan, I'd imagine they don't all hate Liverpool like we do.

Darlington Padgett

But, as outlined in The Athletic, not comparable to the chaos of abandonment. Clubs have spent money based on 19/20 tv money. That’s the key point. They’ve not invested money from next season which makes next season far less important to clubs right now.

Next season can wait.
Players and staff members can get seriously ill and even die if they get infected, is that not chaotic enough? At least for me that's bigger than any money invested.

Cal?

CR7 fan
They will want a holiday, for starters.

Transfer windows and new season preparations.

They need a rest before a new season.

They need a pre season after the rest.

So many reasons, and the last two are big reasons because it makes them more likely to get injured.
They are on holiday right now
Transfer windows can be done during a season, it's been done for decades before.
They don't need a rest or pre-season if the gap is tiny between the 2 seasons.
I'm not sure an extra 9 games or so added to the beginning of next season has such a huge effect, the PL used to have 44 games, plenty of the lower leagues have even more games.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Transfer windows can be done during a season, it's been done for decades before.
I'm not sure an extra 9 games or so added to the beginning of next season has such a huge effect, the PL used to have 44 games, plenty of the lower leagues have even more games.
That first line says enough, you think this is a holiday? :lol:

:lol: I'm not sure they'll see it that way. Do you consider yourself on holiday too?

Asking them to go into next season straight after finishing this one is just never going to happen.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
:lol: I'm not sure they'll see it that way. Do you consider yourself on holiday too?

Asking them to go into next season straight after finishing this one is just never going to happen.
I did for the first week I was out of work. It's considerably less funny now, especially since I'm not getting paid while I'm off.

Cal?

CR7 fan
That first line says enough, you think this is a holiday? :lol:

I somehow don't think some multi-millionaires needing a holiday is the biggest concern right now.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I somehow don't think some multi-millionaires needing a holiday is the biggest concern right now.
I don't think starting the season back up is the biggest concern either.

You need a mental holiday from life, this is anything but a holiday, you'll burn out without a holiday/break and as we all know mental health is a huge issue these days. Believe it or not footballers are under quite a lot of pressure and it will weigh on them.

Freeney

Supports
Djibouti FC
It looks like the NBA are going to cancel the season. Surely the big european leagues should follow suit.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't think starting the season back up is the biggest concern either.

You need a mental holiday from life, this is anything but a holiday, you'll burn out without a holiday/break and as we all know mental health is a huge issue these days. Believe it or not footballers are under quite a lot of pressure and it will weigh on them.
Finishing this season and starting the next is definitely a bigger concern for the PL, the clubs than the well being of their employees.

Anyway, personally I'm hoping this season gets voided, just arguing that the league would most likely want to cramp in those 9 games BCD when possible.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Perhaps UEFA should just cancel next seasons UCL so this doesn’t come into leagues thinking when they consider what to do?

if things were to clear up to the point of being able to play again they could do some kind of One-off knockout tournament inviting the top 6 from every league to participate

Neither is getting the league going again.

It might not even be legal to skip the summer break. Holiday entitlements are pretty well entrenched in law even for irregular workers.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
It's not off the table at all. The irony of your post here is you keep coming on the forum posting articles from journalists who know nothing to try and convince us, and likely yourself, the league will finish.

You need to prepare yourself for the fact it very well may not.
And the irony is you constantly say the league will be cancelled. Anyone would think you know what the situation will he like in a few months. You've convinced yourself that it'll be cancelled so I think it's you that needs to prepare for it not to be cancelled.

philipos

I’m all for finishing this season if at all possible but there’ll need to be some gap between seasons just to sort out fixtures for next season and then arrange tickets etc.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Finishing this season and starting the next is definitely a bigger concern for the PL, the clubs than the well being of their employees.

Anyway, personally I'm hoping this season gets voided, just arguing that the league would most likely want to cramp in those 9 games BCD when possible.
Won't there be a lot of complications starting it after a date where contracts run out, sponsorships change, etc? I can't seem them being able to "run over" into next season to complete this one.

Surely you have to finish with the team you started with, barring the 2 transfer windows you'd normally get?

As clubs in danger now could literally go and spunk money to stay up? (I know it's not that simple).

This season is gone imo, only thing which makes me think otherwise is the blackout being stopped, could be behind closed doors possibly.

SirAnderson

This is definitely not what they would constitute a "holiday"
Yes, for 1 month during a season, 2 months would be a stretch.
Once again, ignore all other stuff but the PL.

DavidDeSchmikes

Premier League leaders Liverpool are the latest top-flight club to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave.

Staff affected will receive 80% of their salary through the government's job retention scheme and the club will make up the difference.

Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich have already announced they will furlough some non-playing staff.

The league is suspended indefinitely because of the coronavirus pandemic.

A Liverpool statement said: "Even prior to the decision on staff furloughing, there was a collective commitment at senior levels of the club - on and off the pitch - with everyone working towards a solution that secures jobs for employees of the club during this unprecedented crisis.

"There is ongoing active engagement about the topic of salary deductions during the period matches are not being played to schedule. These discussions are complex and as a result the process is ongoing."
BBC

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
No I don't agree. I think whichever way will be equally as complicated however given the noise coming out of football recently I feel we have moved nearer to a cancel than what you're advocating.
I’m only parroting what the Athletic journalists are saying is coming out of the clubs. As Arsenal’s declaration today indicates. The consensus is that it’s not equally complicated. I tend to agree with them.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Every single Liverpool fan in this thread is adamant about finishing the current season at the expense of everything else (including human life by the looks it) while the rest of the sane world couldn't care less.

It speaks volumes for their fanbase, doesn't it :)
I'm not adamant, I think it may be foolish. What I am adamant about is the league positions are frozen like Belgium and no doubt other countries will be doing.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Players and staff members can get seriously ill and even die if they get infected, is that not chaotic enough? At least for me that's bigger than any money invested.
The whole premise is that football returns when it’s safe. Nobody is advocating risking people’s health - voiding or otherwise is within this context.

The additional consideration is the huge financial loss that abandonment will bring which will lead to a huge number of lost jobs which is then, in itself, a matter of public health as food poverty and other related factors emerge and threaten societal fabric.

This is not simply about bringing football back, it’s about preserving and future-proofing an industry that employs lots of people. That’s why restarting is a preferred option.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Literally not read anything of the sort from Liverpool fans. As one, I wouldn’t want football back until safe to do so. At that point the best option should be explored.

Nothing like a global pandemic for folk to do the rival fan ‘outrage’ thing. Good work.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’d like to see how much the tax man loses out from a 30% cut to players wages. I bet it’s far more than the tax man has to cough up for the furloughed workers. What a double whammy.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Disappointed in Liverpool. Government should come down hard on businesses that have taken advantage of the furlough scheme when the crisis is over.

cnuts.

Skills

Snitch
I’d like to see how much the tax man loses out from a 30% cut to players wages. I bet it’s far more than the tax man has to cough up for the furloughed workers. What a double whammy.
@Rado_N mentioned yesterday, it's £60k lost in NI and Tax for every £100k paycut

Skills

Snitch
Holy shit that’s going to hurt across the entire division.
I had a look and a fairly significant chunk of that is the employer's own NI contribution.

We're all getting shafted by this bullshit.

TheReligion

Abusive
And the irony is you constantly say the league will be cancelled. Anyone would think you know what the situation will he like in a few months. You've convinced yourself that it'll be cancelled so I think it's you that needs to prepare for it not to be cancelled.
What I do know is thousands of people are dying every day and we are no where near ready to resume a normal way of life let alone mass public sporting entertainment. I get that you're desperate to win the league; the fact is though that might not happen anymore. I'm not sure why you fail to grasp this. The premise is quite simple.

AaronRedDevil

Cant they just shove them on the bus, play a match and go straight home. I know, I know. It seems selfish. God I just miss some fecking football.