Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It's worth catching coronavirus just to see the scousers denied the title when they are one point away from sealing it.
0.2% chance of dying if I catch it at my age of 38. I’m willing to take that risk to stop Pool from winning.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
They should scrap this season and go again in august.

Withnail

Yes I think the hundreds of thousands figure is derived from around 70% of the UK population being infected. You also have to keep in mind though, if a large portion of the country starts getting infected quickly, the health service will not be able to cope. The mortality rate will likely increase in this scenario. In Iran the mortality rate is running at 5% because of the lack of access to good health care.

I'm not saying it's a likely outcome, I'm saying it could happen. The government has to plan for all eventualities, as do the medical experts. They have said it's plausible that 70% of country could get infected, but not likely.
Over what kind of a timeline?

The first case in China was detected on 31st Dec and in two months approx 80,000 people have been infected.

It seems implausible to me that 44m in the UK would get infected.

Seano_thegr81

Worst case scenario they would play behind closed doors which I think they've done in Italy.

Though Liverpool winning the league with none of their fans in attendance would still be absolutely hilarious.

Reactions: Jippy

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

There's a precedent.

The Original

Cancelling the season has apparently been discussed between government and Premier League officials. So it's not a total impossibly. :D At this stage though, it seems unlikely and they may just play in empty stadiums.

It's hard to wish for things to get so bad that Liverpool can't win the title though. This thing will kill a lot of people if it gets that serious, especially older loved ones and young children are also a high risk. As much as I hate Liverpool, I don't hate them more than I love the people in my life.
Young children are least at risk apparently.

Acole9

Outstanding
They should just make this season null and void, I'm sure every supporter of every club around the country would say the same.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

There's a precedent.
The situation in Italy is much worse. The story is that the games were going to be played behind closed doors, but Juventus didn't want to refund the money from the game against Inter (big earner), so as a result they were postponed instead.

I can't see them suspending the Premier League - worst case, games will be played behind closed doors - but the Euros are in danger of being cancelled with the number of countries involved in hosting.

Rossa

0.2% chance of dying if I catch it at my age of 38. I’m willing to take that risk to stop Pool from winning.
Actually, if you don’t have asthma or reduced immune system for some reason, the chance of dying is less than 0,1%. Just saw a Danish doctor sating that a flu in Europe can cause as much as 25.000-60.000 deaths in a season. Thus many would argue that it is less dangerous than a regular flu. To me, the Corona virus looks to be taken a little out of proportions.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Actually, if you don’t have asthma or reduced immune system for some reason, the chance of dying is less than 0,1%. Just saw a Danish doctor sating that a flu in Europe can cause as much as 25.000-60.000 deaths in a season. Thus many would argue that it is less dangerous than a regular flu. To me, the Corona virus looks to be taken a little out of proportions.
where have you got that 0.1 number from?

manc4red

Really tough call for the PL this.
However, not only Liverpool will be negatively affected if they cancel, but also us as well

if you look at the table, we are right behind Chelsea and they have been playing horrid football lately. I believe we can take that CL spot. Cancel season and we lose CL for another year

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Really tough call for the PL this.
However, not only Liverpool will be negatively affected if they cancel, but also us as well

if you look at the table, we are right behind Chelsea and they have been playing horrid football lately. I believe we can take that CL spot. Cancel season and we lose CL for another year
...If the PL is cancelled, then the CL will defo be cancelled anyway.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
No. But this season shouldnt have a winner. Its just a practice mode for the next one and whichever club is in doubt of corona virus can opt not to play and do a self quarantine.

Kajus

It’s on track to kill much much more than 25000-60000.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Cancelling the season has apparently been discussed between government and Premier League officials. So it's not a total impossibly. :D At this stage though, it seems unlikely and they may just play in empty stadiums.

It's hard to wish for things to get so bad that Liverpool can't win the title though. This thing will kill a lot of people if it gets that serious, especially older loved ones and young children are also a high risk. As much as I hate Liverpool, I don't hate them more than I love the people in my life.
If the worse does happen & lots of people die because of this virus, then it'll make some folk on here realize just how irrelevant football really is. At this moment in time it's generally the weak & vulnerable who are at risk, but if the virus mutates then we could be looking at the deaths of millions of young, healthy, adults. It happened just over 100 years ago with the Spanish flu. Like the old saying goes : Be careful what you wish for.

LInkash

Postpone the season and have a playoff amongst the top 8 to decide the European spots in a few months time.

We're better in the big games and we'll have Rashford and Pogba back by then.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
They definitely should - cancel the current season immediately and then start again fresh in August if the virus is under control; it’s the right thing to do, we’ve got to protect the public here.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If they finished the season behind closed doors, I’d just put my tin foil hat on and say there’s no evidence Liverpool got the points to win it anyway.

The Firestarter

Just imagine the face of Klopp if that happens :lol:
EDIT:
Jurgen Klopp being told the season is declared null and void will make the perfect Hitler rant video.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool's only PL title coming with an asterisk would almost make it bearable :lol:
It's the hope that kills (more than covid). Just when you were coming to Zen like terms with the inevitable you get given a grain of hope. I for one will be urging you on to hold on to that. :cool: :D

Handsome Devil

The end is nigh.
All the signs are there.
Swarms of locusts in Africa.
Floods in Europe.
A plague spreading through the world.
Scousers about to win the Premiership.
The AcKloppolypse is coming. :(

pauldyson1uk

Has much as I would love there to be a reason to deny Liverpool the PL, I doubt it will happen.
The flu takes more every single year, but if it did happen, I would laugh about it for the rest of my life.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
They don’t weld shut doors to people’s homes, quarantine entire cities and stop trains crossing borders because of the flu. Something doesn’t add up