Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

rotherham_red

Last post of the day (as do not have enough likes). But my thoughts are is a ‘neutral’ stadium really going to be much more safe than a ‘home/away’ game. Most normal people will follow guidance and stay away but you still going to get the idiots going to the outside of the selected neutral stadium. I say play the games at the stadiums they should be played at for 90mins. If that’s not possible then finish the season now on positions (if they think season 2020/21 has a better chance?) and award liverpool the title. Relegate the bottom three.

feels like the clubs or players want to have their cake and eat it to.
Or, do what they did in Holland and void it all with no winners and no losers. The fact your club has already rushed out a statement that the women's league should be voided (with your team facing relegation in that league) makes your club's conduct in this particular affair all the more transparent and selfish.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Or, do what they did in Holland and void it all with no winners and no losers. The fact your club has already rushed out a statement that the women's league should be voided (with your team facing relegation in that league) makes your club's conduct in this particular affair all the more transparent and selfish.
I think you've got this a bit mixed-up. I haven't seen any statement from Liverpool (on either the women's or men's season) but the Times article seems to suggest they want the season curtailed with the final table being final. So that is, the club is backing a decision in which they would be relegated. Hardly selfish.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
They didn't void the league in Holland .

I genuinely can't believe the amount of people that think there is any chance that the Premier League will void the season. It would be financial suicide to do this!

in Holland they finished the season with the current table. Just as they did in France. The difference is one league had a clear leader and one didnt.

Liverpool ladies team haven't said they want to void the season.

One of the most staggering things to come out of this discussion over the last few weeks is the amount of people that don't understand the meaning and consequences of null and void.

Redcy

I genuinely can't believe the amount of people that think there is any chance that the Premier League will void the season. It would be financial suicide to do this!

in Holland they finished the season with the current table. Just as they did in France. The difference is one league had a clear leader and one didnt.

One of the most staggering things to come out of this discussion over the last few weeks is the amount of people that don't understand the meaning and consequences of null and void.
No there is a difference between what you think null and void means, or how LFC and the scouse mafia want to portray it, and how it could be. I know Liverpool fans were talking about refunding all the season, removing all trace, repaying all sponsors, etc, which is the biggest load of bollocks ever, and is a distraction technique. Its clear that that there is an option to finish the seasons as is, what you do about the champions or not, has NOTHING to do with the lead or not, and has everything to do with the choice the country's FA makes. Sometimes this is led by existing rules, sometimes its arbitrary, noone has ever said exactly what rulings they might use to make a decision. The FA have not even discussed finishing as is, and how that would affect titles/relegations.

Ludens the Red

Not covering anything else specifically but this:

Apparently the PPE we have received is of poor quality/doesnt meet the basic standards needed. Not sure if this is a purchasing issue, or a delivery issue, however its clear we still cannot get appropriate PPE. NHS purchasing teams have been told they cannot buy PPE at the moment, it has to be all bought centrally to reduce the chance that there is "competing" requirements. It seems we are trying to buy kit, but what we are sent is not of suitable quality from the suppliers.

I have stayed quiet and been reading for a while, I have never been against a restart, I just couldn't see how it could be done in the timescale and safely. I am still not sure I have seen anything to suggest that isn't the case still. The fact they are coming up with more and more ridiculous suggestions shows they are desparate.

It does seem however:

1) Fast PCR (accurate to about 85-90%) can be achieved, but this ignores the dormancy issues. The only thing that might cause a problem with competing resources is that these kits still rely on elements that are needed by the NHS, and that they are struggling to purchase
2) I am still not convinced that even with testing that once one team has infections then it can be stopped from spreading to other players/teams.
3) BCD can be the only option until we have a more open policy in general. I think we will see normal games by October/November now. I still think that screws the EFL though.
That’s pretty bad, to be honest this whole Ppe thing has been all over the place and like you said it’s difficult to actually pinpoint where it’s going wrong. But what you’re saying makes sense as there have been so many conflicting stories of hospitals with loads of kit and some without, even people I’ve spoken to. So essentially hospitals were sort of running the ship themselves, some were getting good kit, some bad and now the process is changing? Did have a search online and saw this, nuts really

https://www.theguardian.com/society...hs-procurement-official-privately-selling-ppe

As for the rest I guess we’ll see how Germany does with Bundesliga. That’s an advantage the PL has, it has the opportunity to see it play out elsewhere. Though you know what’ll happen, Germany will master it and it’ll be a rip roaring success and somehow the PL will feck it all up and it’ll be a disaster.

1) I wait for the day that MDs staff challenge each other breathing in a colleagues face while grappling to flip a burger with bosses cheer them on, cleaners running a book, and academics at MDs University debating the reframing of McDonaldization. All for an extra Star.

2) You do know this machines need cartridges and swabs that are in short supply.

3) You do understand the Premiere League is a different social construct to football clubs?
1) Now you’re just being silly aren’t you

2) I am aware you need to be swabbed to be tested for a virus. I’ve done it a few times in my life.....giggidy.

I think my overall struggle to fully accept and understand there is indeed an ongoing worldwide shortage of all these supplies is because the two biggest culprits are the Uk and US. Two of the most powerful nations in the world yet when you look at testing figures these two nations are performing abysmally. Why are other countries doing it better? How are they seemingly not suffering similar continued shortages ? I get that at any one time there will be shortages but it’s over two months, come on.
I get there’s so many variables at play but it’s been enough time to get things in reasonable order. At some point you just have to look at the obvious answer staring you in the face.

3) You do understand that the Premier League and it’s clubs are actually part of the same thing and that they work in tandem.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
With ten players testing positive.
Speaks volumes that they've not shut it all down immediately after getting that news. They must have a mitigation plan. Not that I want it restarted here, just observing.

Pagh Wraith

I'll be very surprised if that happens.
It has been all but confirmed. Official announcement tomorrow.

Only 10 cases from 1700 test is pretty good and all of these individuals (not all of them players) are now in quarantine.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Speaks volumes that they've not shut it all down immediately after getting that news. They must have a mitigation plan. Not that I want it restarted here, just observing.
It’s 0.6% positive tests. They may have agreed on thresholds which determine a rethink, pause or immediate cancellation. The thresholds might be per single team, per all teams or by time period. Germany’s handling of covid19 appears to have been very efficient. I’d be surprised if they’re not well across all potential issues a restart might throw up. That is no guarantee of success of course and it may still not even make it to the first match - a lot can happen in 10 days.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

As you have been told a few times, that was not the difference. The difference was that the French rules stated that there should be a winner, it's the only league that has such a rule.

Redcy

So essentially hospitals were sort of running the ship themselves, some were getting good kit, some bad and now the process is changing? Did have a search online and saw this, nuts really
Yeah, simply put they all buy stuff themselves normally, with big contracts funded centrally (the procurement team is also supposed to oversee individual trusts too from memory), but they decided to go order it centrally. Which in hindsight has worked out badly. There are stockpiles of kit you can "order" from in the UK, but no qc has been done on the kit arriving, which is what would normally happen in a hospital. Normal procedures would have hospitals buying from "known good" sources, but in a panic to get kit we have bought from "other suppliers", which when inspected locally has seen them reject kit. Arguably it is still somewhat government and central teams issue for not prepping appropriately, then they have been let down by the suppliers chosen.

Redcy

It has been all but confirmed. Official announcement tomorrow.

Only 10 cases from 1700 test is pretty good and all of these individuals (not all of them players) are now in quarantine.
The Germany league does give some hope for a successful restart, I am not at all convinced the PL can manage this though, and even less so that the EFL can.

What is interesting is that the EFL will fight any decision not to promote three teams according to their legal team.

RedDevil@84

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52542756

Taylor was talking about how to combat player fatigue, with so many games expected to be played in a short period.

He told the BBC: "We don't know the future but we do know what propositions have been put, what ideas have been put - the possibility of having more substitutes, games possibly not being the full 45 minutes each way, talks of neutral stadiums.

"Ideally, you want to keep the integrity of the competition, and of course, that was about playing home and away and having the same squad of players as before it was suspended.

"The very fact that you are in professional sport, you need to be very resilient. You need to be able to bounce back because you'll get more setbacks than you will good times, and I would like to think that's how my members are.

"So it remains in process and we shall just have to wait and see, and look at it on a day by day basis and see if it's achievable. But if we don't try, then it's never going to be achievable.
:nono::nono:

Rooney24

As you have been told a few times, that was not the difference. The difference was that the French rules stated that there should be a winner, it's the only league that has such a rule.
Ive seen this mentioned a few times but was this actually every properly confirmed that it is in their rules?

I was looking around and couldnt find anything - I imagine the pertinent stuff is in French. The closest I got was the Ligue 1 website that said the Directors of the Ligue voted on it and it was decided to Award them the title.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
How many players and staff are actually positive in Bundedsliga?

It was reported that there were three cases in Koln, and then there was a report of total of ten people who have contracted the virus. Today, Erzgebirge Aue, Dynamo Dresden and Borussia Monchengladbach have announced cases too. Do all of these fall in the first ten, or are they completely new cases?

Also, what is going to happen with Aue, as they have set up a mandatory quarantine for all their members? I thought league didn't ask for such action to be taken.

Pagh Wraith

How many players and staff are actually positive in Bundedsliga?

It was reported that there were three cases in Koln, and then there was a report of total of ten people who have contracted the virus. Today, Erzgebirge Aue, Dynamo Dresden and Borussia Monchengladbach have announced cases too. Do all of these fall in the first ten, or are they completely new cases?

Also, what is going to happen with Aue, as they have set up a mandatory quarantine for all their members? I thought league didn't ask for such action to be taken.
It's ten total. In Aue's case, a member of staff tested positive in the second round of testing so they are in quarantine for two days until Thursday when everyone gets tested again.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Fair play then. Guess we will know much more after second round of testing is done.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
It's ten total. In Aue's case, a member of staff tested positive in the second round of testing so they are in quarantine for two days until Thursday when everyone gets tested again.
What is the general feeling from the public in Germany about the possibility of football restarting? Have footballers and football in general been the subject of criticism in terms of its response regarding money, wages etc

Redcy

what wil be interesting really is what happens when they play games and test positive

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Just Farcical now, this isn't football.

PFA chief Gordon Taylor says halves may be shorter than 45 minutes as talks on Premier League return continue

90 + 5min

It's time to abandon the season and start planning for a Sep return.
This is getting ridiculous. I understand that you have to think about every possible solution but it is not football anymore. There is no logic whatsoever in playing football. Cancel, give Liverpool title and move on planing next season.

Pagh Wraith

What is the general feeling from the public in Germany about the possibility of football restarting? Have footballers and football in general been the subject of criticism in terms of its response regarding money, wages etc
Feelings are definitely split with a lot of people criticising it on social media. At least most people have realised by now that football is not taking anything away from society as there is an oversupply of unused test kits every week. The main criticism has always been that football shouldn't be priviliged and why should the Bundesliga restart when other businesses remain shut but with shopping centres now open again, hundreds of people queueing up at IKEA, demonstrations with up to 5000 people in some cities and even restaurants and beer gardens opening next week, that attitude may be shifting too. It's worth noting that fan groups and ultras have been very vocal in their opposition but that's because they oppose games behind closed doors no matter what and see it as further enstrangement between fans on one side and football as a 'product' on the other. But I don't think we will see packed stadiums for a while and you just cannot ignore the economic consequences if we were to wait until that is possible again. Personally, I don't see why footballers shouldn't be allowed their job again when politicians now declare the virus 'contained'. Particularly as they (and therefore the public) will be protected better than any other industry with their rigorous testing.

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

Taylor the dinosaur enters the fray. Just as things couldn't get worse.

These hypocrites keep mentioning integrity, & then keep coming up with ridiculous nonsense like no relegation. What they really mean we will do anything to get our bags of gold from Sky/BT.

I have followed football all my life, but after this I hope everyone ends their SKY/BT subscriptions & SKY & the Premier League both go down the toilet. The only concerns I have is for the smaller clubs & grassroots football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Raab just now on the daily presser:
PL restart would "lift the spirit of the nation" and is under "active consideration" to do as soon as its safe to do so.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Just Farcical now, this isn't football.

PFA chief Gordon Taylor says halves may be shorter than 45 minutes as talks on Premier League return continue

Wait, first it was "we must start football again to maintain the integrity of the league".

Now its, "let's change the rules of football".

Why don't they just be honest and admit to being money obsessed and that they'd sell their first born to obtain more of it.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Feelings are definitely split with a lot of people criticising it on social media. At least most people have realised by now that football is not taking anything away from society as there is an oversupply of unused test kits every week. The main criticism has always been that football shouldn't be priviliged and why should the Bundesliga restart when other businesses remain shut but with shopping centres now open again, hundreds of people queueing up at IKEA, demonstrations with up to 5000 people in some cities and even restaurants and beer gardens opening next week, that attitude may be shifting too. It's worth noting that fan groups and ultras have been very vocal in their opposition but that's because they oppose games behind closed doors no matter what and see it as further enstrangement between fans on one side and football as a 'product' on the other. But I don't think we will see packed stadiums for a while and you just cannot ignore the economic consequences if we were to wait until that is possible again. Personally, I don't see why footballers shouldn't be allowed their job again when politicians now declare the virus 'contained'. Particularly as they (and therefore the public) will be protected better than any other industry with their rigorous testing.
Sounds like similar sentiments as in the UK but a little more measured and grounded in reality. There is of course a huge difference in the effectiveness of both countries response’. I really hope it goes well and without any major health problems. Even without crowds it will be good to see football or indeed any sport back again. The UK didn’t make good use of the additional time and learn from other countries experiences - both good and bad. So I’m not confident that the PL can follow suit as they seem to be getting ever more desperate in their ideas to restart the league.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Raab just now on the daily presser:
PL restart would "lift the spirit of the nation" and is under "active consideration" to do as soon as its safe to do so.
He must he a dipper, restarting the league and having to listen to the scouse crowing whilst all this is still going on will be unbearable, lift the nation's spirits my arse.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cancelling the women's football as it's not "safe", yet ploughing on trying to get the men's one going is bizarre.
It's almost like there's 100s of millions of moolah different between the two.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
No there is a difference between what you think null and void means, or how LFC and the scouse mafia want to portray it, and how it could be. I know Liverpool fans were talking about refunding all the season, removing all trace, repaying all sponsors, etc, which is the biggest load of bollocks ever, and is a distraction technique. Its clear that that there is an option to finish the seasons as is, what you do about the champions or not, has NOTHING to do with the lead or not, and has everything to do with the choice the country's FA makes. Sometimes this is led by existing rules, sometimes its arbitrary, noone has ever said exactly what rulings they might use to make a decision. The FA have not even discussed finishing as is, and how that would affect titles/relegations.
Its literally the definition of null and void. You can't void the season and pay out prize money etc. If you void the season then essentially teams have just played 28/29 meaningless friendly's so fans and broadcasters have paid way over the odds for games that didn't mean anything. Finishing the season with the current table is completely different to null and void. Prize money can be paid out and the games would still be classed as league games. You are right though it would be down to the FA to determine if they should follow the examples set by France or the Netherlands.

Yeah I've seen that. So even if PSG were only ahead on goal difference they would have been crowned champions in France? If the English Premier League season finishes on 29 games though it would be very unlikely that they would deny Liverpool the title because of how certain they were of winning it. Sorting out the rest of the table is more of an issue.