Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If you're facing a barrage of attacks from the other team, you can stop the game, reshape and interrupt their momentum. If a team is chasing a one goal deficit and they throwing the kitchen sink at the other team, then the team in the lead can use their 5 subs to interrupt their momentum. Moreover, the defending team will be more likely to incur yellow cards, more players will be willing to take a yellow because they have the security on a extra 2 subs.

I'm not against this change in general, but putting it in the same season where you had 3 subs means that you have altered games within the same competition. Would an extra 2 subs change every game? No, but there are many games which would have been changed by it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I don't know you why you're following me around, or where else I was "wrong", but I'd love for you to be helpful and clarify rather than being snarky. If each team can make 5 subs then there can be 10 substitutions a game. OK, there won't necessarily be in every match, but there could be.
If you're facing a barrage of attacks from the other team, you can stop the game, reshape and interrupt their momentum. If a team is chasing a one goal deficit and they throwing the kitchen sink at the other team, then the team in the lead can use their 5 subs to interrupt their momentum. Moreover, the defending team will be more likely to incur yellow cards, more players will be willing to take a yellow because they have the security on a extra 2 subs.

I'm not against this change in general, but putting it in the same season where you had 3 subs means that you have altered games within the same competition. Would an extra 2 subs change every game? No, but there are many games which would have been changed by it.
Substitutions can only be made at a maximum of three points in a match, to avoid unnecessary delays.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don't know you why you're following me around, or where else I was "wrong", but I'd love for you to be helpful and clarify rather than being snarky.
Seems like I confused you with another poster who acted like a child a few days ago because I corrected him. Apologies for that!

fps

Substitutions can only be made at a maximum of three points in a match, to avoid unnecessary delays.
I would define a player replacing another player as a substitution, so I think this is a semantic issue. My comment relates to squad depths and this whole thing degenerating into rugby union where half a team changes in a match and it's not quite the same as a sporting contest.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Fair enough, my point doesn't stand on that part. However, I still have a few concerns with this rule change during an active season.

This is the 2nd time I can think of where the league has undermined their own rules. The first one was with Spurs being allowed the change their home ground during the season and now this. When you start undermine your own rules like so, then it's a slippery slope that could lead anywhere.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
How does our squad size/depth compare to our top 4 rivals?
Great compared to Leicester, Sheffield and Wolves. Easily better than Chelsea too especially with Kante refusing to play while we have Rash/Pog back. We should really be aiming for 3rd.

Paul_Scholes18

How does our squad size/depth compare to our top 4 rivals?
We have best depth in midfield now with Pogba back. Great depth at central defense. Not so good at fullbacks, but still pretty good. Hopefully Dalot can do a job if needed.
Poor depth up front, but we do got quality with Rashford back and Ighalo can do a job from the bench.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
Should just play for Europe and relegation and make the title null and void. We have to get teams into europe and relegate sides, but no need to give away the title.
Give away the title....I am not sure if people are being serious or not these days.

Whilst I am not a fan of the extra 2 subs, and I assume it there because of risk to injury given the number of games over a short period. I doubt any of this will make much difference. I reckon the league position come end of the season will be near identical to what it is now after 28/29 games played.

I also expect there is a drop off in quality on the bench compared to the first 11, so will be interesting to see if managers bother making sweeping sub changes for ‘fringe’ players given what’s at stake.

I would love to see a compile list of each club best 5 players outside the first 11 team. I suspect it will be scary!

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Not sure of the hostility here. The PL are trying to do what they can to prevent unnecessary injuries to clubs. I know you probably know already but just in case, we are in the middle of a pandemic.

I know you're going to follow up with null and void it then. But how many times can you shake your rattle and wail that out while your mummy and daddy say that is not going to happen, son?
A very sensible move considering the long break since the last round of fixtures.

Genuinely can't believe some fans would oppose this and see their own team be run in to the ground.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Yup, every 9 mins like clockwork

another benefit is that with the 10 game rule, if klopp plays this right he can get everyone in the squad a medal
It's only a 5 game rule for a medal now so even the Liverpool tea lady has got a chance this season.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
Sensible to do but I'm not sure how anyone can claim this season is still credible. It's quite obvious it isn't given;

* Teams playing behind closed doors and as such losing fan advantage.

* Certain teams being made to play at neutral venues with others allowed to play at their own stadiums.

* More substitutions and rule changes taking place.

The season is now very different to how it started and as such is a bit of a sham. Not sure how anyone can say otherwise and this alone is why there will always be a footnote in the record books.
HAHA How many times are you going to repeat the same line? It's almost as though you're trying to convince yourself that the integrity has gone out of the window.

Reactions: Sultan

montpelier

Obviously not.

Somehow I'm not surprised by the usual suspects moaning about every single decision taken in order to resume the league. The PL could decide today to give underprivileged kids free food and accommodations, and some people will still somehow find reasons to moan about that if it pertains to helping get the season to resume.

The league is resuming, some people should just accept it and get over it. The constant need to find faults and things about the league's decisions to whine about has gotten tedious now.
This is absolutely correct.

I shall be glued to every game specifically in the hope of seeing 10 substitutions in one half of football.

cyberman

I would define a player replacing another player as a substitution, so I think this is a semantic issue. My comment relates to squad depths and this whole thing degenerating into rugby union where half a team changes in a match and it's not quite the same as a sporting contest.
But then you have teams playing a game every 4 days that weren't built for it. Add in tired legs to that scenario and its a good trade off imo.
Thats why our run looks really easy to me

montpelier

So after the last sub point, if someone gets injured, they finish with 10 men?

Who will be at greater risk of injury, following the logic.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The fixtures have been released. We're playing Tottenham on Friday 19th as out first game back.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The fixtures have been released. We're playing Tottenham on Friday 19th as out first game back.
Apart from the 26th, there are games on every day from 19 June until 2 July (at the last) :drool:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Wednesday, June 17
Aston Villa v Sheffield United 6pm – SKY
Manchester City v Arsenal 8pm – SKY

Friday, June 19
Norwich v Southampton 6pm – SKY
Tottenham v Manchester United 8pm – SKY

Saturday, June 20
Watford v Leicester 12.30pm – BT
Brighton v Arsenal 3pm – BT
West Ham v Wolves 5.30pm – SKY
Bournemouth v Crystal Palace 7.45pm – BBC

Sunday, June 21
Newcastle v Sheffield United 2pm – SKY
Aston Villa v Chelsea 4.30pm – SKY
Everton v Liverpool 7pm – SKY

Monday, June 22
Manchester City v Burnley 8pm – SKY

Tuesday, June 23
Southampton v Arsenal 6pm – SKY
Tottenham v West Ham 8.15pm – SKY

Wednesday, June 24
Manchester United v Sheffield United 6pm – SKY
Newcastle v Aston Villa 6pm – SKY
Norwich v Everton 6pm – BBC
Liverpool v Crystal Palace 8.15pm – SKY

Thursday, June 25
Burnley v Watford 6pm – SKY
Leicester v Brighton 6pm – SKY
Chelsea v Manchester City 8.15pm – BT
Wolves v Bournemouth 8.15pm – BT

Sunday, June 28
Aston Villa v Wolves 12pm – BT
Watford v Southampton 4.30pm – SKY

Monday June, 29
Crystal Palace v Burnley 8pm – AMAZON

Tuesday June, 30
Brighton v Manchester United 6pm – SKY
Sheffield United v Tottenham 8.15pm – SKY

Wednesday, July 1
Bournemouth v Newcastle 6pm – SKY
Everton v Leicester 6pm – SKY
West Ham v Chelsea 8.15pm – SKY

Thursday, July 2
Arsenal v Norwich 6pm – BT
Manchester City v Liverpool 8.15pm – SKY

fps

But then you have teams playing a game every 4 days that weren't built for it. Add in tired legs to that scenario and its a good trade off imo.
Thats why our run looks really easy to me
Yes I suppose so. It helps clubs who have squad depth and changing the rules really does take it further from being the same competition, that’s all. Trade-offs to preserve the money, fair enough.

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
You need to go to Barnard Castle.

It's true. You repeat the same thing over and over again. You've gone from telling us on a daily basis that the league would be null and voided. Let's not forget you once told me to prepare for the inevitable haha. Now that it has dawned on you that the league is going to resume, you've gone on a mission to constantly flood the thread with comments about the integrity of the sport blah blah. Just accept that the league is getting finished and there won't be an asterisk no matter how many times you want to try and convince yourself and others. Deal with it and move on.

Okey

Oh great! I came here just to express my frustration at not seeing any fixtures yet. Bring it on! Can't wait...

TheReligion

Abusive
It's true. You repeat the same thing over and over again. You've gone from telling us on a daily basis that the league would be null and voided. Let's not forget you once told me to prepare for the inevitable haha. Now that it has dawned on you that the league is going to resume, you've gone on a mission to constantly flood the thread with comments about the integrity of the sport blah blah. Just accept that the league is getting finished and there won't be an asterisk no matter how many times you want to try and convince yourself and others. Deal with it and move on.
You really are desperate aren't you? I appreciate integrity means little to you as a Liverpool fan but the frustration just oozes out of your post. I'm not sure why you and and few others can't face the fact this season is going down in the record books due to the fact it was disrupted by a global pandemic. It's ridiculous to not think that won't be mentioned given how is had impacted on world football and the PL specifically. I understand you don't like it as it will take a bit away from your title win but it's an absolute fact and one which no matter how hard you try and ignore will not be going away. Deal with it and move on.

montpelier

What about finishing the season with socially distanced** walking football, behind closed doors with unlimited rolling substitutions, and female goalkeepers.

**7 a side

The Purley King

Liverpool are going to win the league with a big * next to it.
We’ll get CL with no *
If pool had to win it at some point this is the best possible result.
Fa cup and el will have a * as well for whoever wins it but they are not nearly as important

TheReligion

Abusive
Liverpool are going to win the league with a big * next to it.
We’ll get CL with no *
If pool had to win it at some point this is the best possible result.
Fa cup and el will have a * as well for whoever wins it but they are not nearly as important
I'm not sure why they can't accept this and keep suggesting this is "just another season". It's mental. They still get their title so not sure why they are bothered. :houllier:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Wednesday, June 17
Aston Villa v Sheffield United 6pm – SKY
Manchester City v Arsenal 8pm – SKY

Friday, June 19
Norwich v Southampton 6pm – SKY
Tottenham v Manchester United 8pm – SKY

Saturday, June 20
Watford v Leicester 12.30pm – BT
Brighton v Arsenal 3pm – BT
West Ham v Wolves 5.30pm – SKY
Bournemouth v Crystal Palace 7.45pm – BBC

Sunday, June 21
Newcastle v Sheffield United 2pm – SKY
Aston Villa v Chelsea 4.30pm – SKY
Everton v Liverpool 7pm – SKY

Monday, June 22
Manchester City v Burnley 8pm – SKY

Tuesday, June 23
Southampton v Arsenal 6pm – SKY
Tottenham v West Ham 8.15pm – SKY

Wednesday, June 24
Manchester United v Sheffield United 6pm – SKY
Newcastle v Aston Villa 6pm – SKY
Norwich v Everton 6pm – BBC
Liverpool v Crystal Palace 8.15pm – SKY

Thursday, June 25
Burnley v Watford 6pm – SKY
Leicester v Brighton 6pm – SKY
Chelsea v Manchester City 8.15pm – BT
Wolves v Bournemouth 8.15pm – BT

Sunday, June 28
Aston Villa v Wolves 12pm – BT
Watford v Southampton 4.30pm – SKY

Monday June, 29
Crystal Palace v Burnley 8pm – AMAZON

Tuesday June, 30
Brighton v Manchester United 6pm – SKY
Sheffield United v Tottenham 8.15pm – SKY

Wednesday, July 1
Bournemouth v Newcastle 6pm – SKY
Everton v Leicester 6pm – SKY
West Ham v Chelsea 8.15pm – SKY

Thursday, July 2
Arsenal v Norwich 6pm – BT
Manchester City v Liverpool 8.15pm – SKY
Poor old BBC!

Ciro

Supports
Liverpool
You really are desperate aren't you? I appreciate integrity means little to you as a Liverpool fan but the frustration just oozes out of your post. I'm not sure why you and and few others can't face the fact this season is going down in the record books due to the fact it was disrupted by a global pandemic. It's ridiculous to not think that won't be mentioned given how is had impacted on world football and the PL specifically. I understand you don't like it as it will take a bit away from your title win but it's an absolute fact and one which no matter how hard you try and ignore will not be going away. Deal with it and move on.
hahaha accusing me of being desperate. Remind me how many times you've banged on about integrity and asterisk????? Remind me how many times you kept banging on about the season being null and voided??? You're the one that is desperate. As for your comment about the record books, good grief. Are you struggling to sleep at night over the inevitable? The bottom line is the record books will show Liverpool as league champions, period, whether you wish to accept it or not. If people want to talk about covid 19 in the same sentence, that's fine by me but the reality is Liverpool would have won the title mathematically (it won't be given to them) and lfc fans will absolutely be cool with that. And one last thing, I am going to assume that you won't be bothering with watching utd play when the season resumes. I am also going to assume you aren't arsed about them potentially winning the fa cup, el and qualifying for the cl,as remember, it's all about the integrity hahaha.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
At the end of the day a title is a title. Obviously this season is different than others but it's not as if a title will count any less. Not to mention that in the EPL in particular the point gap was so big that it's obvious one team has been better than the others.

I'm just glad to be able to see football again soon.

TheReligion

Abusive
hahaha accusing me of being desperate. Remind me how many times you've banged on about integrity and asterisk????? Remind me how many times you kept banging on about the season being null and voided??? You're the one that is desperate. As for your comment about the record books, good grief. Are you struggling to sleep at night over the inevitable? The bottom line is the record books will show Liverpool as league champions, period, whether you wish to accept it or not. If people want to talk about covid 19 in the same sentence, that's fine by me but the reality is Liverpool would have won the title mathematically (it won't be given to them) and lfc fans will absolutely be cool with that. And one last thing, I am going to assume that you won't be bothering with watching utd play when the season resumes. I am also going to assume you aren't arsed about them potentially winning the fa cup, el and qualifying for the cl,as remember, it's all about the integrity hahaha.
What a little rant!

Again I don't understand why you're getting so worked up about it. You'll get your first PL title so don't panic. Just accept that this is a truly unique season that will certainly be referred to in the history books. Even more so when you consider the last 9 games are being played with huge changes to the home/away format and the rules. Don't get why it's so difficult to accept.