Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

shaky

Imagine if they'd wrapped up the title a few weeks ago, had already been presented with the trophy and had their parade, then were told the season was actually void so they had to give it back :lol:

SirAnderson

Bournemouth team affected too now.

Bournemouth goalkeeper Artur Boruc is one of five club employees currently self-isolating as a precaution, having displayed symptoms consistent with Covid-19. Boruc, along with four first-team members of staff, are self-isolating in line with government guidelines. None have tested positive for coronavirus. “The club continues to monitor the situation closely and to take suitable measures to ensure the wellbeing of its employees and supporters,” reads a club statement.

spiriticon

Announcement that Prem Lge and EFL to be suspended until weekend of 4 April expected around 11am.

By Matt Hughes, retweeted by Gary Neville
The peak is meant to be in April/May. Are they nuts?

Take the summer break now. Suspend it till July and have 2 games a week to finish it all off. Have a weeks or two's break and then start the next season.

It'll be a long season next year but its just going to have to be like that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Applies to Premier League. Greedy bastards, putting money and brand over people's health, if it wasn't for Arteta and CHO, we'd still be on course to play with fans attending.

red4ever 79

Take the summer break now. Suspend it till July and have 2 games a week to finish it all off. Have a weeks or two's break and then start the next season.

Just buying themselves time whilst they think about the ramifications.

SirAF

Ageist

They are probably just putting a date to buy themselves time to figure out the intricacies of shutting down the season.

Banana Republic

How can the final league positions be declared at the current stage of the competition, with regard to relegation.
If they did, relegations would have to be waived, i.e. no relegation or promotion, otherwise the clubs at the bottom would have a good legal case to make. Likewise for the teams battling for promotion from the league below.
It would be a complete mess.

That leaves null and void, or temporary suspension as the more sensible options; but null and void could also invite protest and possible legal challenges.
Suspension is the easiest option, but for how long? 3 months, 6 months, a year? Nobody knows how it’s going to work out.

Whatever the EPL and FL decide, it‘ll not be without controversy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

They would be best to void the season and take the hit, they won’t be playing again until at least June and would have to schedule in league matches, domestic cup matches and Europeon matches all to be completed in 2 months. Impossible.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Sir Bobby and Sir Alex don't have to attend the game in person.

Yesterday I was thinking shut it all down but from reading this morning I am not sure......

I am no expert but from reading this morning it looks like Coronavirus like other flu type viruses will be with us now year on year.

Problem now is it spreads like wild fire but once we have herd immunity it will become much like other annual flu variations

In theory, herd immunity means not everyone in a community needs to be immune to prevent spread of disease. If a high enough proportion of individuals in a population are immune, the majority will protect the few susceptible people because the pathogen is less likely to find a susceptible person.

It seems about 60% of the population need to have caught it in order to get herd immunity.

If we don't get 60% of people catching it this year then the same situation we have now will apply to the more vulnerable next year, and the next until 60% of the population have had it and are immune and it prevents spread rate.

So I guess it is a balance of wanting 60% of people to catch it and become immune but wanting most to get it during summer when NHS is better able to cope with those that are more susceptible while at the same time minimising transmission to susceptible people during this period?
The problem is we need to spread it out. If we have 60% getting it that would be at 3% mortality meaning 1,195,920 deaths. There's no way we can cope with that, hell even a 1% of that would be 398,640 more than lost during WW2, in a space of a few months . By stretching it out it gives time to develop vaccines and methods but the elderly and vulnerable will still be at risk for a long long time to come.

arthurka

Now we have Leicester,Arsenal, Bournemouth, Everton having isolation or quarantine this won´t go on any longer.

SirAnderson

Arsenal, Bournemouth, Chelsea, Everton, Leicester, Manchester City and Watford. 7 Clubs now confirmed with cases, almost half, and surely there are others, just not confirmed as yet.
Can only see one outcome from today's PL meeting.

UpWithRivers

So if it is cancelled then effectively the whole season is cancelled. Yes that means Liverpool are not champions but that also means we wont be in Champions League next year? I know we might not have made it anyway but still. Also teams that looked like being promoted to Premiership will have to stay down. Lots more teams being impacted financially. But I guess Villa etc will be happy

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Everyone should just gather at Phil Jones place.

We know he hasn't come into contact with other players in weeks!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Oh, come on. This is embarrassing. If rather see the season finish behind closed door than it be cancelled. We're 80 or so % through. Gotta finish it delayed or without fans.

If Liverpool win, so be it but I couldn't let my ocd have a season be unfinished.
Nice try scouser

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Here is an idea

Why can't stop the season for a couple months, finish that and Euros in say July and August.. And then start the new season in 2021 ready for it to end just a couple weeks before Qatar WC in November 2022?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I can't see that much will have changed by the 4th April.
The attitude of "we have to just get on with it and live with this threat" will be more rife by then. Unless the number of deaths soar into the tens of thousands in the UK. But yeah I don't see much changing.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wasn't there supposed to be an international break coming up? I know the games will be cancelled anyway, but the clubs have to put their foots down and stop players going abroad on a holiday or visiting family.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think the biggest disaster for Liverpool is the potential that not only is this season rendered all but null and void, what should be their golden years with the likes of Van Dijk, Mane, Salah, Firmino, Allison all in their absolute prime could well be in serious jeopardy with an extended break from the EPL next season too.

You just hate to see it.

red4ever 79

Here is an idea

Why can't stop the season for a couple months, finish that and Euros in say July and August.. And then start the new season in 2021 ready for it to end just a couple weeks before Qatar WC in November 2022?
Wow a resonable post. I would envisage that to be the only way forwards. However, depends how long this virus is in the air, how long it will last.