Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Tarrou

seen a few articles suggesting this might happen, and it seems a bit crazy but you never know.. I saw they postponed a six nations match because of it

is there even a rule for something like this?

would Liverpool still get the title?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
When you're about to win your first title in 30 years and then some bat flu takes it away.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I reckon for public safety they need to scrap this season. The long term problems of this would be catastrophic, the world will never be the same.

Oh and something about the coronavirus is also bad.

King Eric 7

It's worth catching coronavirus just to see the scousers denied the title when they are one point away from sealing it.

Bojan11

No. They would just play the games behind closed doors.

fergosaurus

It would be a real shame to not see Liverpool winning the league and Leeds promoted but cancelling all football is the right thing to do.

Snafu17

Unless there's a big outbreak in the UK there's no way they would do it and even then you'd think they would just play out the season behind closed doors.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's worth catching coronavirus just to see the scousers denied the title when they are one point away from sealing it.
They tried so hard, and got so far. But in the end, it doesn't even matter.

Tarrou

Unless there's a big outbreak in the UK there's no way they would do it and even then you'd think they would just play out the season behind closed doors.
that would just force everyone to the pubs, where the chances of spreading increases

no i think we need to play it safe here and cancel the feck out of it

Bulldog United

Cancelling the season has apparently been discussed between government and Premier League officials. So it's not a total impossibly. :D At this stage though, it seems unlikely and they may just play in empty stadiums.

It's hard to wish for things to get so bad that Liverpool can't win the title though. This thing will kill a lot of people if it gets that serious, especially older loved ones and young children are also a high risk. As much as I hate Liverpool, I don't hate them more than I love the people in my life.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
There will be a huge amount of issues to be resolved if they cut short or even cancelled the league.
Placings including winners, Champions league qualification, Europa league qualification and relegation places
I think it’s more likely they would try to finish the season with remaining games played behind closed doors. Obviously that would be contingent on health risks too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It would genuinely be hilarious, but I can't see it happening.

Think before it even got to that stage the season will be nearly finished and they'll have won it already.

Snafu17

that would just force everyone to the pubs, where the chances of spreading increases

If there was an outbreak similar to the one in Italy, the pubs would also be closed.

Bulldog United

Pubs won't be allowed to be open screening games in a scenario where things have got that bad.

Bulldog United

It would genuinely be hilarious, but I can't see it happening.

Think before it even got to that stage the season will be nearly finished and they'll have won it already.
Yes it's a funny thought, and I'd be lying if I said my initial reading reports this morning didn't put a smile on my face. But you have to weight it against the potential cost to human life. It wouldn't stay genuinely hilarious for long if people you love die because this turns into a pandemic and hospitals will not be able to cope.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Yes it's a funny thought, and I'd be lying if I said my initial reading reports this morning didn't put a smile on my face. But you have to weight it against the potential cost to human life. It wouldn't stay genuinely hilarious for long if people you love die because this turns into a pandemic and hospitals will not be able to cope.
That's why public gatherings should stop, fewer people will get infected and as a result fewer people will die.

Bulldog United

That's why public gatherings should stop, fewer people will get infected and as a result fewer people will die.
I fear there's too much money at stake. They'll only do it when damage has been done (i.e. many people have been infected) and they feel they have no choice but to act.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I fear there's too much money at stake. They'll only do it when damage has been done (i.e. many people have been infected) and they feel they have no choice but to act.
Unfortunately you might be right, but let's hope the government is sensible enough to take preventative action.

Well, actually they're not sensible enough :(

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Surely it’s not hilarious even if people you don’t know die? Football rivalries make us all a bit mad but anyone happy that this could stop Liverpool winning the league despite cost to lives really needs to rethink their priorities.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Surely it’s not hilarious even if people you don’t know die? Football rivalries make us all a bit mad but anyone happy that this could stop Liverpool winning the league despite cost to lives really needs to rethink their priorities.
My close family members and my girlfriend aside, I can accept a few deaths if it means this league season gets cancelled.

Bulldog United

I agree. I was just making the point about loved ones because it's more impactful. 500,000-1,000,000 people dying in the UK is not worth it to stop Liverpool winning a league title. I hope nobody would disagree with that.

Tarrou

stopping Liverpool winning the league would save lives

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
If the season is cancelled because of the virus then things have got so bad that a lot of people are at risk. In those circumstances, I genuinely couldn't give a feck about football. Keeping as many people as safe and healthy as possible is much more important

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If the season is cancelled because of the virus then things have got so bad that a lot of people are at risk. In those circumstances, I genuinely couldn't give a feck about football. Keeping as many people as safe and healthy as possible is much more important
Things have already got “so bad”. You’re 25 points ahead and haven’t lost a game, we’re at at least DEFCON 4.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Haven't they postponed the six nations because Italy is one of those?

Cannot see EPL being postponed unless there's some massive outbreak. Too much money involved.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This is a really serious situation and now the cat is out of the bag in England I think there is a good chance that Football could be impacted. Certainly made me question going to a few games I already have tickets for.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
This has got to happen for the good of everyone's health.

Pity for Liverpool after waiting all those years - don't worry, it will be next Season then.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I’d say playing games behind closed doors is about as extreme as it’s likely to get in football terms, to be honest.

Doesn’t the league have to be suspended for 65+ days for the season to be ‘cancelled’ anyway? Highly unlikely it ever reaches that point. If the league does indeed get suspended, you’d imagine it’ll only be 2-3 week token gesture and then everything resumes as normal. The Euros in the summer complicates matters but they’ll work it out, I’m sure. The money men always do... :rolleyes:

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
If the season has to be cancelled would they not say the final standings are based on the league table at that point? Perhaps games in hand can be played behind closed doors so everyone has equal matches.

Not exactly fair but prizes and European places have to be given out, teams relegated etc or next season would be impacted too. Assuming there was a next season :nervous:

Withnail

It's a flu. It's not done plague that's gonna wipe out half the country.

Anyone with symptoms will be told to self-isolate at home. Only the old and infirm should need hospital care.

I think it'll just become another yearly flu, albeit a stronger one.

There is a good chance they could suspend games as they are doing in Italy but I think we'll all just have to get on with it as containing this thing will be like holding back the tide.

I'd be more concerned about the CL/Euorpa if airlines start suspending flights to certain destinations or if a lot of their staff end up in quarantine.

Last edited:

Withnail

I agree. I was just making the point about loved ones because it's more impactful. 500,000-1,000,000 people dying in the UK is not worth it to stop Liverpool winning a league title. I hope nobody would disagree with that.
The fatality rate is around 2%

Between half and the total population of the UK would have to be infected for that many people to die. How likely is that?

Where are people going with these doomsday scenarios?

Bulldog United

It's a flu. It's not done plague that's gonna wipe out half the country.

Anyone with symptoms will be told to self-isolate at home. Only the old and infirm should need hospital care.

I think it'll just become another yearly flu, albeit a stronger one.

There is a good chance they could suspend games as they are doing in Italy but I think we'll all just have to get on with it as containing this thing will be like holding back the tide.

I'd be more concerned about the CL if airlines start suspending flights to certain destinations or if a lot of their staff end up in quarantine.
Nowhere did I say it would wipe out half the country. It could still kill a lot of people though because the mortality rate is significantly higher than a normal flu, and this thing spreads so easily, survives on surfaces, and it's very contagious. There's also limited treatment options for those who get seriously ill until drugs can hopefully be produced next year.

Many hundreds of thousands of deaths is among the worst case scenarios and unlikely, but the government certainly believes it's a plausible outcome and has plans for it.

There is also a case in Italy apparently where a young healthy runner has just died. I'm not confident that only the old and infirm should need hospital care.

Bottom line - I hope the government is quick to say grounds cannot be populated with football supporters if cases continue to rise in the UK. They need to act fast despite the economic cost. If the season needs to be cancelled, so be it. I'm glad the Liverpool supporters in here also recognise that human lives are more important than games of football and sporting prizes.

Classical Mechanic

Between half and the total population of the UK would have to be infected for that many people to die. How likely is that?

It’s the ‘reasonable worst case scenario’, 75% infection rate with 15% requiring hospitalisation.

Bulldog United

Yes I think the hundreds of thousands figure is derived from around 70% of the UK population being infected. You also have to keep in mind though, if a large portion of the country starts getting infected quickly, the health service will not be able to cope. The mortality rate will likely increase in this scenario. In Iran the mortality rate is running at 5% because of the lack of access to good health care.

I'm not saying it's a likely outcome, I'm saying it could happen. The government has to plan for all eventualities, as do the medical experts. They have said it's plausible that 70% of country could get infected, but not likely.