Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

MiracleInMadrid

Everything in Denmark has just been shut down by the government with instant effect. Schools, daycare and any workers from the public sector who do not work with 'critical tasks'. In addition, every employer in any sector are highly recommended to send employees home.
And it is highly recommended that gatherings of more than 100 persons in any context are cancelled. Tomorrow the parliament will vote for it to be a injunction instead of just a recommendation. People af close to panicking. The news have only just come out, but people are already hoarding in the supermarkets.

Becasue of this, more or less the entire danish society will be shut down for a couple a weeks, and I think it is highly plausible that it will be furtherly extended.
The way this has evolved is very similar to how it did in Italy, and I expect a lot of other European countries to follow soon. Since monday the number of infected has multiplied by ten. If anything similar to this will reach Great Britain, the season will surely be cancelled to some extend.

Popcorn

Not read all the posts. But are Arsenal going to be able to play again in the next two weeks? Are they in quarantine? If yes, can the league really carry on with one team out of action?

Jacko21

Not read all the posts. But are Arsenal going to be able to play again in the next two weeks? Are they in quarantine? If yes, can the league really carry on with one team out of action?
Their game against Brighton is still due to go ahead.

But a decision about the PL as a whole might be taken before then anyway - in accordance with what the Government decides.

SaintMuppet

Cancelling the season has apparently been discussed between government and Premier League officials. So it's not a total impossibly. :D At this stage though, it seems unlikely and they may just play in empty stadiums.

It's hard to wish for things to get so bad that Liverpool can't win the title though. This thing will kill a lot of people if it gets that serious, especially older loved ones and young children are also a high risk. As much as I hate Liverpool, I don't hate them more than I love the people in my life.
Great post, just sorry I can’t like it.

Football comes nowhere near as important as the love most of us have for our families (there will always be 1 oddball somewhere)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Yeah, also Liverpool could've stopped 3000 Madrid fans coming over and mixing with the UK population in close quarters but they didn't.

feck them. The PL should be cancelled at this point. Start afresh when safe.

Liverpool have absolutely nothing to complain about after their antics with this CL tie.
As opposed to having infected UK people mixing with healthy UK people domestically, or having people of a variety of nationalities mixing all over the country on a daily basis? Why are we trying to enforce viral apartheid in regards to football?

Rhyme, you are aware of how much travel there is outside of football and how much the virus will just spread internally even in a fabled complete lockdown?

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, I have no idea how they''d sort out promotion/relegation without all games played. There would be lawsuits all over the place.

Wonder if there are any Premier League loophole rules?
I was thinking about this today RS. What would they do? I mean as much as I'd love Liverpool not to win the league then it would mean United would have no CL again next season and potentially ruin our transfer plans etc?

It's a right mess. It's the knock on effect on all leagues that is the issue.

koop

Haven't read the whole thread. But technically if 1 player gets it in the prem then the whole thing gets called off right ?
Since that players team would be quarantined which means they can't field a team etcetc?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I was thinking about this today RS. What would they do? I mean as much as I'd love Liverpool not to win the league then it would mean United would have no CL again next season and potentially ruin our transfer plans etc?

It's a right mess. It's the knock on effect on all leagues that is the issue.
Well, it depends entirely on where the World is come August. Remember CL/Europa has qualifiers that starts in late July, it has a huge knock on effect right?

I honestly have no idea what they'd do. The fair solution is to cancel Europa/CL next season but no chance would they accept that ruling and miss out on the cash. Perhaps a one off European competition next season organised by the big clubs in Europe? Honestly no idea.

The Purley King

God is a United fan.
Liverpool wait another year la
Leeds get back in your championship box
Spurs just hold on to Jose for a little longer
Pep no CL for you for a couple of years sunshine

ole don’t worry about fecking up a bit this season I’ll cancel it for you so you are set for next time. Okely dokely, love from god

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Everything in Denmark has just been shut down by the government with instant effect. Schools, daycare and any workers from the public sector who do not work with 'critical tasks'. In addition, every employer in any sector are highly recommended to send employees home.
And it is highly recommended that gatherings of more than 100 persons in any context are cancelled. Tomorrow the parliament will vote for it to be a injunction instead of just a recommendation. People af close to panicking. The news have only just come out, but people are already hoarding in the supermarkets.

Becasue of this, more or less the entire danish society will be shut down for a couple a weeks, and I think it is highly plausible that it will be furtherly extended.
The way this has evolved is very similar to how it did in Italy, and I expect a lot of other European countries to follow soon. Since monday the number of infected has multiplied by ten. If anything similar to this will reach Great Britain, the season will surely be cancelled to some extend.
The problem you have if you quarantine a country at that stage is that the quarantine becomes no longer manageable at a point when it is actually truly needed at a point where cases really start to accelerate. It’s no good one country quarantining then just getting a new greater influx of cases and being unable to play that card again.

Woodzy

Think it will be called off, which would be the right decision.

I would genuinely feel a bit sorry for Liverpool though if they miss out on the title while two wins away. Still hilarious, but they absolutely deserve that title and would be cruel.

RedDevilRoshi

I hate to break it to you, but cancelling the league and making Liverpool’s wait go on may do a lot of good, but it won’t eradicate this coronavirus.
Point out in my post where I said “it will eradicate coronavirus”. Liverpool’s position in the league is the least of my worries during a major crisis like this. It’s irrelevant where they are. Even if Man Utd were in Liverpool’s current position or if Liverpool were close to relegation, I’d still say the only viable thing to do is close the season, especially now it’s been been labelled a pandemic by the WHO.

People’s health and well being is more important than a game of football. It’s not even on a comparable scale.

SirAF

Ageist

I would genuinely feel a bit sorry for Liverpool though if they miss out on the title while two wins away. Still hilarious, but they absolutely deserve that title and would be cruel.
Nah.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Definitely not. The same logic would relegate Norwich when they can still stay up.
Yeah but Liverpool is way ahead. City would need to win their last 10 remaining games, and Liverpool would have to make less than 6 points out of 27 points for them not to win it.

I hope it is how you say, but I wouldn't be so sure.

What says the rule book?

Guy Incognito

Wishful thinking the season will become null and void. Money talks, the Premier League would rather hold on until the government can ensure they have measures in place for compo.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yeah but Liverpool is way ahead. City would need to win their last 10 remaining games, and Liverpool would have to make less than 6 points out of 27 points for them not to win it.

I hope it is how you say, but I wouldn't be so sure.

What says the rule book?
Doesn’t matter. Points on the board are the only ones to count. It’s the FA not Paddy Power.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Get fecked here anyone who has any semblance of sympathy for those wankers down the East Lancs Road. These tossers got every single English club banned from European competition for five years due to their thuggery and even tonight, they selfishly played the match in a packed stadium as they wanted the advantage of a home crowd to cheer them on.

I’ll be sad to see the back of football for a while but spare us the sympathy for that shower from Liverpool.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Champions elect, moral victors. None of this matters. Liverpool haven’t won the league yet and now they might not get the chance to.

Harsh but hilarious.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

feck them.

Brophs

The One and Only
The various leagues (but the PL particularly, given the money involved) will be absolutely terrified to do anything that'll get them sued. Regardless of how it happens, they'll finish out the season at some point, IMO, because any other positive act they undertake will result in legal liability to any number of clubs.

AlwaysRed66

God is a United fan.
Liverpool wait another year la
Leeds get back in your championship box
Spurs just hold on to Jose for a little longer
Pep no CL for you for a couple of years sunshine

ole don’t worry about fecking up a bit this season I’ll cancel it for you so you are set for next time. Okely dokely, love from god
The only downside is Sanchez will be back costing us a fortune.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The various leagues (but the PL particularly, given the money involved) will be absolutely terrified to do anything that'll get them sued. Regardless of how it happens, they'll finish out the season at some point, IMO, because any other positive act they undertake will result in legal liability to any number of clubs.
What if the government enforces a cancellation through legislation?