Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

SirAnderson

They will do everything they can to buy more time. They won't cancel it now. Maybe in a few weeks, once pressure builds up
Yeah I can see that happened.

But I posted earlier about how fast this virus is spreading. With them needing 2 wins, after they roll over Everton, there next league game is on the 21st, that is a very very long time and by then it's almost certain that the virus would have hit UK much more as it's a case of when and not if already.

Then as you say, they will have no choice with such pressure.

spiriticon

Surely even if Liverpool mathematically ‘win’ the league in the next week the season has to actually complete before they are officially champions in the record books. Or is it just an asterix?
It makes sense that you can't officially declare the champions without the rest of the league positions being confirmed.

Utdstar01

So will it take for numerous players to get the virus for the season to be cancelled?

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
He’s talking utter bollox. “Season ticket holders can stream games”? There is no system in place to stream all games simultaneously, regardless of whether you have a season ticket or not.

He’s making shit up.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They will never “cancel” it anyway. Just postpone it. I think a situation where the Euros get put back to 2021 and the PL and CL are continued over the Summer when things settle down is likely at this stage. There’s no way they will just abandon the season now and start a new one in August. Hilarious as that would be with regards to the scouse.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
UK moving to delay phase in the morning according to Sky. This will hit sport, PL likely to be suspended until further notice.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
They will never “cancel” it anyway. Just postpone it. I think a situation where the Euros get put back to 2021 and the PL and CL are continued over the Summer when things settle down is likely at this stage. There’s no way they will just abandon the season now and start a new one in August.
It’s not going to settle down by summer

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They will never “cancel” it anyway. Just postpone it. I think a situation where the Euros get put back to 2021 and the PL and CL are continued over the Summer when things settle down is likely at this stage. There’s no way they will just abandon the season now and start a new one in August.
8 games is 4-6 weeks of football.If the Euros are cancelled there’s no way they will be allowed to play league matches instead.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In 3-4 months time? Undoubtedly will. Even if it’s still here in 2040 they will carry on this season rather than just scrap it.
Based on what exactly?

Womp

idiot
But it's a pandemic.

Yes it would be immensely frustrating but this is a gravely serious situation, I'm not sure what other option there is.
I understand that and I agree but I don't think multi-billion dollar corporations are going to see it that way. This is money we are talking about. The only suggestion I could think of that might make everyone happy is to just suspend the league as is, for now, rather than calling the season void and starting again when this has all settled down. Alternatively, if they are going to go down this BCD route, actually enforce the rule, deploy officers/security etc. rather than cases like today with Kurzawa being a fecking idiot and still coming into contact with the fans.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He’s talking utter bollox. “Season ticket holders can stream games”? There is no system in place to stream all games simultaneously, regardless of whether you have a season ticket or not.

He’s making shit up.
Theirs a streaming website that allows fans of lower league clubs to watch every game. Maybe they will add the PL to that and give ticket holders some code to watch the game or something.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Making the season void isn't going to stop legal repercussions etc. either. Teams that weren't in European competitions that could have been this season, wouldn't be happy, for example. I really don't see what they're going to be able to do without a shitstorm following them.
It's literally in the rules, clubs knowingly enter the league with these sets of rules, you cant take legal action against the FA for enforcing rules you were okay with.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Colleymore isn’t speaking shit. Times is reporting it too as well as other outlets so it’s been fed from somewhere.

I imagine they’ll set up some closed system for all games to be streamed and you type in your season ticket number/match ticket number and it’ll allow access for each game.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
They will never “cancel” it anyway. Just postpone it. I think a situation where the Euros get put back to 2021 and the PL and CL are continued over the Summer when things settle down is likely at this stage. There’s no way they will just abandon the season now and start a new one in August. Hilarious as that would be with regards to the scouse.
The Euros will 100% be cancelled / postponed. It’s being hosted in multiple countries in the middle of a global pandemic!

I’m doubtful any football will be played in the summer to make up for any imminent suspension. I would think the lockdowns will deescalate gradually with the ban on mass gatherings one of the last things to be lifted.

Art Vandelay

Playing the games behind closed doors doesn't work because thousands of fans gather outside of the stadium like tonight's CL tie in Paris showed. So the risk remains which is unacceptable given the significant strain the coronavirus puts on the healthcare systems.
That really should be considered some form of crime. If they are actively going against guidelines to try and help hospitals cope with this then there should be a punishment.

Also the season should just be abandoned and forgotten about right now. Leave tonight as the lasting memory of this season as we all move on and start over when everything calms down. If we can't stop people congregating outside grounds then declare it null and void.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Colleymore isn’t speaking shit. Times is reporting it too as well as other outlets so it’s been fed from somewhere.

I imagine they’ll set up some closed system for all games to be streamed and you type in your season ticket number/match ticket number and it’ll allow access for each game.
What happens to lower league teams who rely on gate receipts?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
What about the players though? Do they have their rest now and for how long? What about fitness? You cant expect them to just go straight into another season.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

Good luck to developers up and down the country then. Wouldn’t fancy that gig @Niall

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff

I’d be very surprised if Sky and BT have something like that ready to just roll out at short notice. But you never know...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

They're both talking shit then.

The players are just as much at risk of contracting the virus as the rest of us. Why would the government completely ignore their safety? It doesn't make sense.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
They'll most certainly try, but there are extremely capable people who can get into these "closed systems" - making the whole process redundant.

Womp

idiot
TBF, in Australia, an Optus sport subscription provides access to all CL/Europa and PL games. So I doubt it'd be that difficult for them to implement.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Times back page tomorrow is saying sane thing as Collymore. I think we’ll find out tomorrow morning.

Popcorn

Would they be able to go with finishing the leagues now. Keep the positions and have 2 teams promoted (no playoffs) and no relegation. Cancel the league cup and play the extra league games in those slots. Next season 5 teams get relegated from the EPL.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I’d be very surprised if Sky and BT have something like that ready to just roll out at short notice. But you never know...
All Scottish teams stream their away games to non uk fans online, I'm guessing English clubs do the same. They'd just adopt that system I imagine.

choccy77

One thing I just thought of, the Premier League had their winter break in Feb, when the virus was taking hold outside of China, I wonder how many other players or club officials may have been infected or become a carrier at some point, when the first week, players went on various holidays etc?

Djemba-Djemba

If Everton could get a result against Liverpool this weekend, I know I know it's Everton so they won't, and City win it pushes Liverppol clinching the title another 2 weeks away.

I think the season is on the verge of being indefinitely suspended and Liverpool would be denied being champions.

Which would be fecking hilarious.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah Italy started off playing games behind closed doors, then it escalated from there.

I've no doubt the Premier League is suspended very soon.

Euros will have to be cancelled too. What a mess.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If Everton could get a result against Liverpool this weekend, I know I know it's Everton so they won't, and City win it pushes Liverppol clinching the title another 2 weeks away.

I think the season is on the verge of being indefinitely suspended and Liverpool would be denied being champions.

Which would be fecking hilarious.
Not for the people who’ve died.