Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
How can the league continue when one of the managers will be stuck at home till the 15th June at least ? It's got to be a write off, there's no other way.

Sad Chris

Don't think there are any rules for such an exceptional scenario are there ? Decisions made will be purely arbitrary & should be made on a basis of fairness, not just to Liverpool, but to other teams too who stand to lose out.
But fairness is not a one way street. It isn‘t fair if teams that stand to lose something — as the table now stands — get a ruling in their favour, but teams that would still stand to gain something don‘t. There are only two fair outcomes: Finish playing the season or void. Any other solution will involve outside meddling and as the history of humanity has proven over and over, none of us are impartial.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm at a point that I'm more concerned at next season starting rather than this season finishing. I think it will be cancelled, null and void, but honestly I'd be delighted to be wrong because it would mean we're on top of things.

manutddjw

I’m in a glass case of emotion about this. On one hand voiding the season and ruining Liverpool’s title would be the most hilarious thing ever.

On the other hand I haven’t felt this good about watching us in a very long time. I’m excited for our games again and although it’s not a title chase, we’re still in the race for something important, so other games are meaningful as well.

Halftrack

Yeah, it's not like it's (partially) synonymous with 'force majeure' or anything, or an actual legal term for natural disasters.

I mean, if you're laughing because it doesn't really apply to diseases, then fair enough. If, on the other hand, you're laughing because the edgy internet atheist in you tells you to mock anything that could be even remotely construed as religious, please give it a rest.

RUCK4444

Care to elaborate?

Google search if you’ve never heard of it:-
“An act of God is a natural catastrophe which no one can prevent such as an earthquake, a tidal wave, a volcanic eruption, a hurricane or a tornado. ... Acts of God have legal significance because "acts of God" are a legal excuse for delay or failure to fulfill an obligation.”

The bolded bit is of significance I would say, wouldn’t you?

RUCK4444

Yeah, it's not like it's (partially) synonymous with 'force majeure' or anything, or an actual legal term for natural disasters.

I mean, if you're laughing because it doesn't really apply to diseases, then fair enough. If, on the other hand, you're laughing because the edgy internet atheist in you tells you to mock anything that could be even remotely construed as religious, please give it a rest.
I believe the COVID-19 outbreak is being classed as an act of god in legal terms.

The length of time it can be classed as such is what is being argued.

Lots of articles discussing the above online.

I’m pretty sure the FA can categorise this as act of god in any argument they have to void the season.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
With UEFA reportable asking for £275m from Europe's top leagues to move Euro 2020, what’s to stop the Premier League from telling them “no”, then sorting out a Super League with clubs from Serie A, La Liga, Bundasliga etc in the interim, whilst all this plays out?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Checking ceefax and there's still stories of various people wanting to complete the season, reduced champions league etc.

But it's all totally fanciful and can't happen anytime for the forseeable.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Checking ceefax and there's still stories of various people wanting to complete the season, reduced champions league etc.

But it's all totally fanciful and can't happen anytime for the forseeable.
Oh? I was using my dial-up connection for my Usenet group. Did a survey there and the results suggested we carry on and also that Ron Atkinson needs to just shave his head bald instead of that hideous combover.

Hughes35

I can only see one realistic solution and that's to void the league. Any other solution is just too messy, brings up too many variations, legal cases and further disruption to future seasons.

Any talk of finishing the season is delusion. Everybody is now on lock down for at least 12 weeks, that takes us to the 9th June. This is for the virus to get over its peak, you probably need another 3 or 4 weeks safety net which means you're into July........ just start next season in August as usual. No disruption.

The only thing I think they should do is take a few million of the premier leauge tv money and distribute it throughout the other leagues to compensate for loss of earnings. If we don't do this, some teams will cease to exist.

No solution will keep every team happy but a void season is the only fair way that's equal, manageable and clean cut.

philipos

Imaginary?

Sorry Ruck4444, I have never heard of it outside of religion, especially not in a legal context. I believe that blaming or thanking imaginary friends are worthy of ridicule, hence my emoji.

redshaw

Sorry Ruck4444, I have never heard of it outside of religion, especially not in a legal context. I believe that blaming or thanking imaginary friends are worthy of ridicule, hence my emoji.
We should probably rename it as act of nature as hardly anyone believes in God these days, at least in northern Europe and some other bits. Rest of the world is still very religious.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Oh? I was using my dial-up connection for my Usenet group. Did a survey there and the results suggested we carry on and also that Ron Atkinson needs to just shave his head bald instead of that hideous combover.
You'll be trying to say watching the news is old fashioned next.
I know you tried to be funny, but never mind..next time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's a very well known legal expression. Your ignorance on it doesn't make it less so.
Maybe you're a very young guy who has never taken insurance out?

cyberman

We should probably rename it as act of nature as hardly anyone believes in God these days, at least in northern Europe and some other bits. Rest of the world is still very religious.
Many billions believe in God.

cyberman

Yo
That was what I said. What was the point of the quote of telling me something I just said?
You said hardly anybody believes in religion when the opposite is true. Quick google has Europe as 85 percent religious for example.
Maybe its an enlightened echo chamber youre a part of?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That was what I said. What was the point of the quote of telling me something I just said?
It was the way you said "hardly anyone" believes so it needs to be renamed, then immediately afterwards said loads of the rest of the world believes.
Odd.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Can we as subscribers ask Sky for our money back due to no live football being shown?

redshaw

Yo

You said hardly anybody believes in religion when the opposite is true. Quick google has Europe as 85 percent religious for example.
Maybe its an enlightened echo chamber youre a part of?
You really need to re-read, you severely lack in reading comprehension. I said hardly anyone in Northern Europe believes in God and some other bits. Rest of the world, which is billions of people is very religious.

Northern Europe, is England, Denmark, Sweden, very non religious places. People of this type are in the minority compared to the world.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I’m afraid I’m not a very young guy and I’ve also had plenty of insurances in my lifetime. Perhaps it’s because I haven’t signed contracts in native-English countries.

I’m not sure why you’re pointing out that my ignorance doesn’t make it less common. Like all of us, I know almost nothing at all. It would probably help if we all embraced our ignorance openly and freely.
I said you not knowing about an expression doesn't mean it isn't well known. It just means it's not well known by you.
But if you're not a native english speaker than fair enough, some expressions are more well known in some languages.

Moiraine

Feck me, that former Everton player on Skysports is talking absolute bolloks, he said something “Football is all about money”

It is not you fecking moron, nothing is greater than human health and safety...

buchansleftleg

That's the season voided as far as I can see.

The real question will be the nature of which clubs remain in business when this finally blows over. whilst reputable clubs will have good insurance cover for such an eventuality, there are bound to be clubs that are under-insured and will struggle as the lockdown continues into month 2 and 3.

Unless the government puts in place the sort of guarantees that the German and French have to essentially guarantee income by suspending utility bills and rent costs we are going to see some massive businesses collapse and I would include some football clubs potentially in that.

Whilst Old Trafford is in serious need of investment, at least United has not just borrowed heavily to complete a stadium rebuild. Without a government guarantee this could be a perfect storm for some clubs as the social distancing denies them the opportunity to replace football income with the usual sources of concert venue, conferencing facilities or social function rooms.

Without a confirmed end date to these restrictions we could be looking at a delayed start to the next season and uncertainty about which clubs will be left standing as you move down the leagues.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I think at this stage UK measures are going to be in place for 12/18 months. I doubt 20/21 is even feasible.

Abandon football and look to start again in 21/22.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I think at this stage UK measures are going to be in place for 12/18 months. I doubt 20/21 is even feasible.

Abandon football and look to start again in 21/22.
Clubs will go bankrupt if they have to pay the players.

RUCK4444

I would kindly ask you to wind your neck in when it comes to people’s religion/faith.

I would like to think that moderators would tell you the same.

Your clearly uneducated and ignorant so I’ll finish the conversation here.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Clubs will go bankrupt if they have to pay the players.
I see little alternative at the moment? Government are due to announce more financial measures today to help businesses, but mass gatherings are gone for the foreseeable, so even if football was allowed to be played the lower league clubs would be screwed either way.

AlwaysRed66

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/spa...of-squadstaff-tested-positive-for-coronavirus

"All cases are asymptomatic and those involved are currently isolated at home, receiving medical assessment and carrying out their scheduled training plan."

Yikes, also why no way of stopping Covid 19, just slowing it down. No chance season finishes.
This 21 year old footballer from Spain has also died from Coronavirus, in part due to Leukaemia which he didn't know he had. Europes youngest known victim. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/breaking-footballer-dies-coronavirus-aged-21701067

Obviously completing the season or not is a higher priority to some then peoples lives. Also, the fantasy that we will somehow start again in May is hilarious, considering no cure is likely for a year. Even if it goes away later in year it is likely to return & sport will be stopped again