Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
If this season doesn’t resume soon (or, indeed, never will), the Scousers themselves will have a lot of flak to cop over their incredibly selfish decision to have 3,000+ fans from Madrid mingling among the UK populace for up to three days when they played Atletico at Anfield. It was completely irresponsible of them. Due to football matches requiring the presence of the emergency services, a service which will be stretched beyond their limit for the foreseeable future, it’s fantastically naive to assume the Premier League will return any time in late April or early May.

These money-hungry bastards need a reality check. The public absolutely should not stand for it.
Don't think that's their fault. Isn't it on UEFA to put games behind closed doors? I'm unsure.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Its not happening LFC fans

000000s of people dying I think is more important than your league

Kindly fvck off now

Once football resumes, if you are good enough, you will win now
Honestly, who gives a flying fcuk about who wins the league right now. I really don't give 2 hoots. Mankind has too much at stake right now,

If they are so desperate and it makes their existence feel better, let them have it. It'll be the most worthless achievement in footballs history.

C'est Moi Cantona

I see Dybala has been confirmed to have the virus now as well.
Its all going tits up isn't it.
Young and fit, he'll be fine, but it makes you wonder just what the true infected numbers are though in Italy, if Dybala was a nobody would he even have a clue?

So hopefully it's x 20 at least, and then bringing the death rate right down from the darn right scary figures just now.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I see Dybala has been confirmed to have the virus now as well.
Its all going tits up isn't it.
Depends. Having the virus and becoming seriously ill from it are two separate things. There is some debate as to whether millions have been infected and only had minor health issues and that really the only ones that need isolating are the ones with underlying illnesses and the old.

Most important thing we should be doing is wide spread testing to find out how many people have got it, not just people who have seriously become ill from it. Celebs and Sports stars are obviously coming out of the woodwork at the moment as most of the have much better health care than us, however most of what they describe sounds like the flu.

SirAnderson

Young and fit, he'll be fine, but it makes you wonder just what the true infected numbers are though in Italy, if Dybala was a nobody would he even have a clue?

So hopefully it's x 20 at least, and then bringing the death rate right down from the darn right scary figures just now.
Depends. Having the virus and becoming seriously ill from it are two separate things. There is some debate as to whether millions have been infected and only had minor health issues and that really the only ones that need isolating are the ones with underlying illnesses and the old.

Most important thing we should be doing is wide spread testing to find out how many people have got it, not just people who have seriously become ill from it. Celebs and Sports stars are obviously coming out of the woodwork at the moment as most of the have much better health care than us, however most of what they describe sounds like the flu.
Yeah, just the reality that of that bold part is scary, even in my country, there have only been about over 3000 tests done, but so many more could be infected. Confirmed verses the true number is quite different indeed.

The challenge is of course the amount of critical cases that's the issue to the NHS around the world. The minute it is over burdened the death ratio increases sadly. That's why the importance of flatten the curve can't be overstated. Total lockdown is needed if we want to see it get better by June if we lucky, otherwise we can forget about contain it and keep the death count low.

That's why all this talk of finishing the league before June is just crazy talk, it can never happen.

Devil81

We're all fvcked aren't we, this thing is bigger than football so I have to admit I don't see football or any competitive sports for a long long time.

The rate it's ripping through Italy and the likely hood of the lies about numbers in China makes me believe the world as we know it has changed forever. Until they find a cure for this thing we're going to be seeing it go away and returning constantly.

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
There so much money involved, and so theres so much incentive to finish the season, that we wont know if the season is void until end of May earliest I reckon.

The premier league will hold out hope they can complete the season when the euros would have been. Give teams 2 weeks of and then start preseason. The money is such a strong motivation

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We seem to be following the Italian numbers, but from 2 weeks behind. So that's pretty darn ominous, as their figures have started escalating wildly and are ahead of the official Chinese peak.
Although how on earth anyone can verify these figures I don't know.

What is for certain is that if our government are bandying around 12 weeks to get on top of it, that's the absolute earliest anyone can even think about life re-starting. And that's mid June.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Don't think that's their fault. Isn't it on UEFA to put games behind closed doors? I'm unsure.
I think they had a choice and chose not to? (most games were behind closed doors).

Guess advice (in UK) at the time was it was ok and they chose to follow it. Days later, advice was different... but other clubs/leagues took decision themselves.

We seem to be following the Italian numbers, but from 2 weeks behind. So that's pretty darn ominous, as their figures have started escalating wildly and are ahead of the official Chinese peak.
Although how on earth anyone can verify these figures I don't know.

What is for certain is that if our government are bandying around 12 weeks to get on top of it, that's the absolute earliest anyone can even think about life re-starting. And that's mid June.
And that 12 weeks is to (hopefully) get past the worse not to be clear.

Likely still loads of people impacted and possibility footballers still included... we've seen they're not immune?

Just can't see it happening (season starting in June). Even behind closed doors, some clubs will be impacted more than others... it's really not that important, bin it all until we/world much further down the line

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And that 12 weeks is to (hopefully) get past the worse not to be clear.

Likely still loads of people impacted and possibility footballers still included... we've seen they're not immune?

Just can't see it happening (season starting in June). Even behind closed doors, some clubs will be impacted more than others... it's really not that important, bin it all until we/world much further down the line
I'm coming more round to the view that the only possible route forward is to get things 100%, and then try and get these last 2 months played out fine.

Otherwise we could end up with the worst of all worlds (from a football perspective obvs!) of not finishing this season, and not finishing next season - even with some amends.

SirAnderson

Just read the league in Belarus is still going on :houllier: :eek: Shocking stuff. Think its the only professional league in world that's still playing. (I stand to be corrected on this, it's what the article said)
Super crazy decision even though they only have 69 cases. That number can soar in a matter of days.

Anyway, with Italy confirming the highest death toll in a 24 hour period, it's really sad to see the state this virus has brought upon the world, all the panic and death, football just seems soooo trivial right now, as much as I miss it, its meaningless.

Okey

Ex Real Madrid President Fernando Sanz just passed away from the virus. First football related death I've heard. This is all so sad. Worth a thread to pay our respects?

SirAnderson

https://www.thestar.com/sports/socc...rld-soccer-shuts-down-due-to-coronavirus.html

Snippet from the article:
“I am absolutely convinced that we could suffer more from panic than from the virus itself,” he told a meeting of officials on Thursday. Neighbouring Russia’s border-security measures were “complete and utter stupidity,” he added.

Really hope this doesn't end badly. I can understand people shouldn't go into unreasonable panic, but there is that, and there is common sense. :nervous:

SirAnderson

Ex Real Madrid President Fernando Sanz just passed away from the virus. First football related death I've heard. This is all so sad. Worth a thread to pay our respects?
Sad, indeed. Most of the time these deaths are statistics too many people, its sad to see when its starts hitting closer to home.

I'm coming more round to the view that the only possible route forward is to get things 100%, and then try and get these last 2 months played out fine.

Otherwise we could end up with the worst of all worlds (from a football perspective obvs!) of not finishing this season, and not finishing next season - even with some amends.
Seems that desire to finish a season (understandable) and potential money lost of £760m TV (because SKY and BT won't budge) are key drivers to the "finish it" argument

So far, private hospitals have given kit/staff/etc to NHS at cost, footballers are letting their properties/hotels be used, insurance companies have changed policy stance (Govt pressure?), supermarkets are chasing their tails.... yet BT/SKY haven't even reduced their subscription cost.

I can see them coming under increasing pressure to waive the 'penalty ' if the season is written off. That might make the difference to most clubs to agree to it, knowing it won't cost them multi millions

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I think they had a choice and chose not to? (most games were behind closed doors).

Guess advice (in UK) at the time was it was ok and they chose to follow it. Days later, advice was different... but other clubs/leagues took decision themselves.
First time I've heard that. If true, then yeah it's not good.

Redcy

So whenever it is we then play out the last two month? unless this is soon, meaning starting in June, then we would have to cancel/massively downgrade next season to complete this season, and that is literally financial meltdown in football terms.

Yes not completing the league at the moment could cost the PL 760m, but thats just a negotiation starting point. Lets see how that plays out when the public hear that Sky/BT are holding the country and football to ransom. Lets see what happens when they approach the courts/lawyers.

It also ignores the massive factors of fitness, illness and game capability. I am part of an amateur swimming club where we have swimmers heading for Olympic trials, nationals, etc. All training has stopped, there is obviously some land training they can do, and maybe the odd person has personal pool facilities or access to them, but the numbers are tiny. Most people are hoping at being off 2 months and the coach estimates for a return to "elite fitness" after is about 1 month, and for every month more you can add two weeks. I can only assume elite sports is very similar across the board due to fitness and "game" fitness. Assuming players could get back to training by Mid May (extremely unlikely), then it is likely they need 4 weeks minimum to get fitness back. I can't see this happening at the moment, and even if it did for the PL, the funding to support a return for all leagues is unlikely. So we would have to assume later than that.

On the idea that people would not attend games bcd, I saw old people with their grandkids playing in the park and shopping, people browsing local shops by the dozen, facebook messages asking about restaurants to eat, pubs that might be open, etc. People are not taking it seriously even now.

Rooney1987

Read the Chinese League is gonna try restart it’s league on April 18th. So if we go full lockdown in next week, for 3 months. Based on that timeline looking at early July. No way it can work. They’d get a week off and have to start another season. By Euro 2021 they’ll be dead on there feet.

Only hope they have is hoping this has slowed down May so June is a possibility. Then restarting mid June finishing end of July. Get August off and start first week of September. All highly unlikely imo.

Okey

Here's hoping people really practise the social distancing. If we do, we could get out of this quickly. China, as bad as they were, have no new cases after just 6 weeks of lockdown. The virus doesn't stay dormant. Seems to either clear or make the person very ill within 2 weeks on the average. Assuming we all have the virus, if we don't spread it, the peak can come quickly and most of the population will clear the virus. Social distancing if key, people. Let's break the chain of transmission and get out of this hell. We need to get our lives back, never mind the football...

joi_division

Supports
AS Roma
Australia is still carrying on with football, Australian rules football, rugby and some others I probably don't know about all behind closed doors of course. Italy is another story but I thought other European countries could have pushed on in their national leagues

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
If this season doesn’t resume soon (or, indeed, never will), the Scousers themselves will have a lot of flak to cop over their incredibly selfish decision to have 3,000+ fans from Madrid mingling among the UK populace for up to three days when they played Atletico at Anfield. It was completely irresponsible of them. Due to football matches requiring the presence of the emergency services, a service which will be stretched beyond their limit for the foreseeable future, it’s fantastically naive to assume the Premier League will return any time in late April or early May.

These money-hungry bastards need a reality check. The public absolutely should not stand for it.
Can you please shut the hell up with this utter nonsense? Leipzig played in a packed stadium the day prior. Leicester 2 days before that. Nobody knew the gravity of the situation in the UK at this time. The WHO designated the virus a pandemic on the same day.

Using this pandemic just to throw more shade at your rivals (let's face it nearly all of your posts are about them) and blame them for potentially causing infections is petty and unnecessary. Shut the feck up.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Australia is still carrying on with football, Australian rules football, rugby and some others I probably don't know about all behind closed doors of course. Italy is another story but I thought other European countries could have pushed on in their national leagues
That was no longer possible once players/staff/managers started testing positive for it. Once Arteta was confirmed to have the virus, it became impossible for football to carry on as normal.

Strelok

Absolutely no chance, in their dreams. Footballers are always at risk to injury or illness. Why would this be any different?

They're just like everyone else , in the same way police officers, nurses, train drivers, delivery drivers are at risk so are they. Can you imagine if everybody could sue who they work for because they caught the coronavirus whilst working

There is also literally zero way of proving when and where you caught or catch the infection. To be fair to footballers most will hate the idea of sitting around not playing and I’d imagine all would be willing to start playing again within a reasonable time.
I worked as a sushi delivery boy when I was a student. We were riding scooters and the boss never tell us to "go fast" or anything similar. Because in case he tell us so and we cause an accident we would sue him.

The idea here is under normal circumstance of course we have to accept the risks involved with our job. Like delivery boy with the possible traffic accidents. But unescessary risk is another matter imo. I was in Paris at that time so not sure about the UK.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
https://www.thestar.com/sports/socc...rld-soccer-shuts-down-due-to-coronavirus.html

Snippet from the article:
“I am absolutely convinced that we could suffer more from panic than from the virus itself,” he told a meeting of officials on Thursday. Neighbouring Russia’s border-security measures were “complete and utter stupidity,” he added.

Really hope this doesn't end badly. I can understand people shouldn't go into unreasonable panic, but there is that, and there is common sense. :nervous:
As dangerous as that sounds the least they can do is televise the matches for the rest of us during this miserable time.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Can you please shut the hell up with this utter nonsense? Leipzig played in a packed stadium the day prior. Leicester 2 days before that. Nobody knew the gravity of the situation in the UK at this time. The WHO designated the virus a pandemic on the same day.

Using this pandemic just to throw more shade at your rivals (let's face it nearly all of your posts are about them) and blame them for potentially causing infections is petty and unnecessary. Shut the feck up.
PSG played behind closed doors on the same fecking night as the Scousers rammed as many into Anfield as they possibly could. The UK had 460 confirmed cases by the day of the match (11th March) and this figure was growing exponentially. Virtually all other European games played that week were played behind closed doors yet Liverpool felt it necessary to play theirs in a packed stadium with ~3000 fans from Madrid, the epicentre of the Spanish outbreak (Spain had a whopping 2,318 cases by the day of the match with approx. 50% of that figure coming from the Madrid area itself).

You can live in your own little bubble and pretend everything is going to be okay and nobody bears any personal or civic responsibility during all this, but those living in the real world know different. Playing football with a packed stadium when virtually all of Europe didn’t was a massive unnecessary risk. Inviting ~3,000 people from the worst affected area in Europe, outside northern Italy, was a massive unnecessary risk.

Staging the match with a full attendance was a huge bone of contention even before the match, with local MPs asking for more safety measures to be taking place. Liverpool had a statement on their website prior to the match to warn fans of the spread of the disease. Klopp famously refused to high-five fans at the tunnel area before the match and was visibly irate at them for even asking him to such was the paranoia present about Covid-19. Liverpool’s u23 team were supposed to be play Wolfsburg in Liverpool the day before the Atletico match but Wolfsburg refused to travel on safety concerns. The list goes on and on. The warning signs were there but were not heeded and whomever made that decision - be UEFA, Liverpool or the relevant sporting bodies within the UK - need to be scrutinised for it.

So don’t pretend this is revisionist trolling based on football rivalries here. Let’s cut the crap about this being an fantastical invention of mine that the match shouldn’t have gone ahead and the world was all fine and dandy on the 11th of March because that’s far from the true picture. It was a wholly selfish and completely reckless decision and it needs to be highlighted as such.

TheLord

I earlier posted that a dramatic October start to the new season is doable (after completion of this) , but with COVID-19 getting scarier by the day, it is inconceivable at the moment to think of any better solution than “null and void.”

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
PSG played behind closed doors on the same fecking night as the Scousers rammed as many into Anfield as they possibly could. The UK had 460 confirmed cases by the day of the match (11th March) and this figure was growing exponentially. Virtually all other European games played that week were played behind closed doors yet Liverpool felt it necessary to play theirs in a packed stadium with ~3000 fans from Madrid, the epicentre of the Spanish outbreak (Spain had a whopping 2,318 cases by the day of the match with approx. 50% of that figure coming from the Madrid area itself).

You can live in your own little bubble and pretend everything is going to be okay and nobody bears any personal or civic responsibility during all this, but those living in the real world know different. Playing football with a packed stadium when virtually all of Europe didn’t was a massive unnecessary risk. Inviting ~3,000 people from the worst affected area in Europe, outside northern Italy, was a massive unnecessary risk.

Staging the match with a full attendance was a huge bone of contention even before the match, with local MPs asking for more safety measures to be taking place. Liverpool had a statement on their website prior to the match to warn fans of the spread of the disease. Klopp famously refused to high-five fans at the tunnel area before the match and was visibly irate at them for even asking him to such was the paranoia present about Covid-19. Liverpool’s u23 team were supposed to be play Wolfsburg in Liverpool the day before the Atletico match but Wolfsburg refused to travel on safety concerns. The list goes on and on. The warning signs were there but were not heeded and whomever made that decision - be UEFA, Liverpool or the relevant sporting bodies within the UK - need to be scrutinised for it.

So don’t pretend this is revisionist trolling based on football rivalries here. Let’s cut the crap about this being an fantastical invention of mine that the match shouldn’t have gone ahead and the world was all fine and dandy on the 11th of March because that’s far from the true picture. It was a wholly selfish and completely reckless decision and it needs to be highlighted as such.
You're full of shite.

The UK had 100+ cases on March 5th and PL matches were played on March 8th. By that time matches were already being suspended in Italy and there were already talks in the UK to suspend parliament. Like I said before, Leipzig played a match the day before and there were already +1300 reported cases in Germany. Once again, March 11th (the same day the match was held) was when it was declared a global pandemic and when sporting events began to be canceled in mass.

It's certainly a fantastical invention of yours to single out the rival you always complain about. All of Europe was slow to react not just one club. Despite your attempts to deflect, your true intentions are obvious and not funny.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
You're full of shite.

The UK had 100+ cases on March 5th and PL matches were played on March 8th. By that time matches were already being suspended in Italy and there were already talks in the UK to suspend parliament. Like I said before, Leipzig played a match the day before and there were already +1300 reported cases in Germany. Once again, March 11th (the same day the match was held) was when it was declared a global pandemic and when sporting events began to be canceled in mass.

It's certainly a fantastical invention of yours to single out the rival you always complain about. All of Europe was slow to react not just one club. Despite your attempts to deflect, your true intentions are obvious and not funny.
Leipzig were in the wrong, too. As were any club to proceed with full attendances at their games in the same period with this pandemic at their doorstep. (Incidentally, you’ve twice referenced the fact that WHO only categorised it as a pandemic on the day of 11th March, as if that somehow absolves the clubs of any responsibility. There were calls to label this outbreak a pandemic as far back as February, well before it officially was. Even those on this forum and others I frequent were asking the same question: why aren’t they calling this a pandemic yet?). The evidence from China and Italy, in addition to what was developing in Spain, France and Germany, left us in absolutely no doubt whatsoever that having mass gatherings was a completely reckless and totally irresponsible action in the current climate.

The call to immediately close schools, universities and child-care facilities in Ireland on the morning of 12th March (barely twelve hours after the Champions League matches ended the night before) was given despite the country only having 43 confirmed cases the night before (and only a handful of these cases confirmed to be community transmission). All mass gatherings and non-essential events were cancelled, too. All this with a relatively-low case rate compared to other countries in Europe. It was a decision made with the public’s best interests at heart. Was staging a Champions League match with ~50,000 supporters (including ~3,000 supporters from the virus hotspot of Europe - outside of Italy), in the midst of what was a pandemic in all but name, in the public’s best interests? Or who stood to benefit from it? You can answer that one.

If it was United, Liverpool or fecking Melchester Rovers who staged that match in the circumstances and in that context, they’d rightly be getting panned. Why are you so offended that Liverpool are getting criticised for it? I’m sure Leipzig are getting caned in Germany too considering Wolfsburg refused to travel to England to play Liverpool as they were concerned about the safety of such an undertaking. So the Germans were well versed on the outbreak and knew of the dangers involved. Maybe our resident German posters can verify but I’d be amazed if Leipzig weren’t attracting criticism for an equally-reckless decision to play that match with a full crowd. It’s a bizarre point you’re trying to make, by the way: Leipzig did it as well, ergo Liverpool are fine. Schoolyard stuff.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Leipzig were in the wrong, too. As were any club to proceed with full attendances at their games in the same period with this pandemic at their doorstep. (Incidentally, you’ve twice referenced the fact that WHO only categorised it as a pandemic on the day of 11th March, as if that somehow absolves the clubs of any responsibility. There were calls to label this outbreak a pandemic as far back as February, well before it officially was. Even those on this forum and others I frequent were asking the same question: why aren’t they calling this a pandemic yet?). The evidence from China and Italy, in addition to what was developing in Spain, France and Germany, left us in absolutely no doubt whatsoever that having mass gatherings was a completely reckless and totally irresponsible action in the current climate.

The call to immediately close schools, universities and child-care facilities in Ireland on the morning of 12th March (barely twelve hours after the Champions League matches ended the night before) was given despite the country only having 43 confirmed cases the night before (and only a handful of these cases confirmed to be community transmission). All mass gatherings and non-essential events were cancelled, too. All this with a relatively-low case rate compared to other countries in Europe. It was a decision made with the public’s best interests at heart. Was staging a Champions League match with ~50,000 supporters (including ~3,000 supporters from the virus hotspot of Europe - outside of Italy), in the midst of what was a pandemic in all but name, in the public’s best interests? Or who stood to benefit from it? You can answer that one.

If it was United, Liverpool or fecking Melchester Rovers who staged that match in the circumstances and in that context, they’d rightly be getting panned. Why are you so offended that Liverpool are getting criticised for it? I’m sure Leipzig are getting caned in Germany too considering Wolfsburg refused to travel to England to play Liverpool as they were concerned about the safety of such an undertaking. So the Germans were well versed on the outbreak and knew of the dangers involved. Maybe our resident German posters can verify but I’d be amazed if Leipzig weren’t attracting criticism for an equally-reckless decision to play that match with a full crowd. It’s a bizarre point you’re trying to make, by the way: Leipzig did it as well, ergo Liverpool are fine. Schoolyard stuff.
Why aren't you slating United or the rest of the PL clubs for playing matches on March 8th when there were already confirmed cases and deaths? You aren't fooling a single damn person, no matter how many walls of drivel you post. Again, all of Europe was slow to react to this tragedy, not just one club.

I find it offensive you are using these tragic events to carry out your "let me only post negative comments about a rival" schtick. It could be club XYZ for all I care, but unfairly singling out a club as you did in the clown post I responded to is a scumbag move. That's the point you keep dancing around by replying with paragraphs of spin and deflections. If you wanted to make a point about how government or football's governing bodies were slow to react then you would have done so, but we both know why you posted what you did.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
So are they finishing these matches behind closed doors? I personally wouldn't mind that and having the distraction, but how would that work?
Folks other than football players would still need to be out and about getting things ready for these matches.

I dunno.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but do feel we'll be in a better place towards the end of April. Even if things improve though, I still think they would have to play behind closed doors.

red4ever 79

You're full of shite.

Cant say all of Europe was slow to react at all. Central European countries Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic (where I am based) closed everything down within 2 weeks of the first case. This included borders, schools, shops, pubs restaurants. Everyone is in quarantine for 3 weeks, only people that have to go to work are allowed outside. Just because the UK has a moron in charge who didnt listen to any advice and moved like a snail, dont lump everyone else in with him. Other countries responded quickly

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Daily Mail reckons they plan to restart on 1st June and play all games in 6 weeks and restart the new season in August to stave off financial catastrophe. Money will be the key player here as I mentioned.

red4ever 79

Daily Mail reckons they plan to restart on 1st June and play all games in 6 weeks and restart the new season in August to stave off financial catastrophe. Money will be the key player here as I mentioned.
Of course. Money drives everything. Did anyone really think the season would be voided. Clubs wouldnt get the Prize Money or broadcasting revenue. Clubs will find a way to finish the season