Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Judas

Open to offers
Whenever Italy's leagues starts up again, we'll be a few weeks after that. But who can honestly guess when that'll be. It just seems like science fiction to think we'll have football again anytime soon.

Whenever Italy's leagues starts up again, we'll be a few weeks after that. But who can honestly guess when that'll be. It just seems like science fiction to think we'll have football again anytime soon.
to an extent, but each country will be different. I also wouldn’t be surprised if there is some coordination from UEFA around a restart date.

was shocked to see a claim by Southampton’s CEO that we can play matches behind closed doors whilst the country is in lock down. That just downplays the seriousness of what we are going through, what a complete tool.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Just because we are behind Italy in the arc and have been following a similar upward trajectory doesn’t mean we will mirror their downward trajectory.

Judas

Open to offers
to an extent, but each country will be different. I also wouldn’t be surprised if there is some coordination from UEFA around a restart date.

was shocked to see a claim by Southampton’s CEO that we can play matches behind closed doors whilst the country is in lock down. That just downplays the seriousness of what we are going through, what a complete tool.
Realistically you'd think there would have to be. It all needs to sync up to a certain degree, especially if the CL and EL are still going to be happening.

I don't envy those in charge of all this, it's an absolute mess.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, the legalities concerning European qualification and promoted/relegated teams is the main thing preventing the FA from voiding the season entirely I'd imagine. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to void the season, sparing themselves a massive headache trying to sort this mess out.

I haven't a clue what's going to happen at this point, but we simply must start football up soon if only to prevent many clubs outside the prem going bust.
I dare say they'll have to step in and dish out a huge amount of money to compensate any clubs in trouble.
The big issue is that the bigger clubs might be in that position, and take a lot more money than your average league 1 and 2 clubs, having already budgeted for certain incomes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Unfortunately, we're seeing that just because someone is involved in football, doesn't make their opinion any less madcap than people outside of it.

Realistically you'd think there would have to be. It all needs to sync up to a certain degree, especially if the CL and EL are still going to be happening.

I don't envy those in charge of all this, it's an absolute mess.
At the appropriate time, absolute direction from UEFA is what all the individual associations want. Otherwise, you will not be able to coordinate transfer windows and the resolution of European competition (at some point).

Everyone want to finish the league as the best case scenario, and it’s both right and expected the the PL and other leagues are trying to finish it and have the plan at the moment. But as time goes on, it looks clear that it’s just not possible to finish it.

in terms of the money from the TV deals - you can’t just ram in 125% of a season into one season, or in even less time.

there is a limit on games players can play, so if it’s based purely on money per match, it is likely that you can appropriate more money from voiding the season than postponing it especially if you can’t play until after June.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Of course. Money drives everything. Did anyone really think the season would be voided. Clubs wouldnt get the Prize Money or broadcasting revenue. Clubs will find a way to finish the season
Clubs might not have a choice and whats the difference in playing friendlies or new season games when the go ahead is given?

There will be full houses everywhere in theory even if it's an over 50s legends match. Just to get back into a stadium.

However......... if clubs dont have money will people have money to splurge on tickets if they've lost their jobs?
Gov wont pay salaries for ever.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
But could you say without any doubt that fans of other clubs didn’t have it? Games were going to go ahead as normal prior to Arteta’s announcement.

Shouldn’t all clubs be shamed in that case?
That's not true.

LASK and United decided to play their game behind closed days only 24 hours after the Liverpool game, opting to show responsibility rather than creating an atmosphere for a meaningless football match. The Arteta announcement came after that.

There were several other leagues already shut down before that too.
This reply to Flopper, from RT, drops his comments completly so don't lie please.

I didn’t ask about that game. I asked if Premier League clubs would’ve prevented fans from coming to games on the weekend following our game with Atletico, prior to Arteta testing positive. Some clubs decided to play behind closed doors but no clubs were doing that in England unless ordered to by UEFA or the Premier League.

To say otherwise would be daft.

Two or more wrongs don't make a right.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Unless a miracle vaccine is going to be produced in record time next season won't be happening much either.

I can understand why this season hasn't been void, better to have at least two months of football you can work into the period from late summer to late Autumn where hopefully things will calm down before a second wave comes from November.

Imagine if November up to Feb was cancelled, you're talking about half the league season there so straight away you'd have to cancel 20-21season.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Cant say all of Europe was slow to react at all. Central European countries Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic (where I am based) closed everything down within 2 weeks of the first case. This included borders, schools, shops, pubs restaurants. Everyone is in quarantine for 3 weeks, only people that have to go to work are allowed outside. Just because the UK has a moron in charge who didnt listen to any advice and moved like a snail, dont lump everyone else in with him. Other countries responded quickly
Most. Many. A lot. However you would like to describe it, that wasn't the original point. The point is scapegoating a singular club for a widespread failure of policy on a national and sporting level is abhorrent.

His point was about Liverpool and that date.

How many other games were played with fans there that midweek?
If the issue here is another club made a silly decision, that doesn't make his point moot/wrong, it just means another club were wrong too? And as this is a UK/United site (lots of other posters too), you can imagine there will be more focus on the Liverpool game (down the road with thousands of people from Madrid/Spain) than the other game?

Lots of things have been done wrong (in hindsight) but maybe that one could have been done differently? (whichever club it was?)
Why are you limiting the blame only to the midweek? A full slate of PL matches was played on the weekend of March 7th when there were already cases and deaths in the UK. And before you try to argue nobody knew about the virus at the time look at the articles here, here, and here and when they were written. Mistakes were made but it has nothing to do with one club. I should even have to write something so obvious, but people are using this unprecedented tragedy to wave the banner of football tribalism and I find it repugnant.

I remember making a post on matchday saying how irresposible that was from the city of Liverpool and Liverpool FC (and Leipzig as well). They knew. We all knew.
We all "knew" the weekend before when a full slate of PL matches was played.

It's sad this is even a discussion.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Most. Many. A lot. However you would like to describe it, that wasn't the original point. The point is scapegoating a singular club for a widespread failure of policy on a national and sporting level is abhorrent.

Why are you limiting the blame only to the midweek? A full slate of PL matches was played on the weekend of March 7th when there were already cases and deaths in the UK. And before you try to argue nobody knew about the virus at the time look at the articles here, here, and here and when they were written. Mistakes were made but it has nothing to do with one club. I should even have to write something so obvious, but people are using this unprecedented tragedy to wave the banner of football tribalism and I find it repugnant.

We all "knew" the weekend before when a full slate of PL matches was played.

It's sad this is even a discussion.
Lots of points in there for different people.

In reply to the bit to me, who said I was limiting anything? You're assuming what I'm saying and why.

I'm commenting on a number of posts that were specifically about the Liverpool v Atletico game. But to take your point, the games before (imo) were wrong.... the Liverpool game was wrong (imo) .... and if PL games had been played the next weekend, they'd have been wrong, including United (imo, if that's ok)

Pavl3n

I read something the other day. Whoever was quoted in the article was saying that we should scrap next season. Basically finish this one, whatever time it takes and then adjust for a new season.
I think it will take at least four to five months before life resumes normally.
If the remaining games start somewhere in September and are played all the way through November. Have a winter vacation until January, UEFA and FIFA could come up with some short term tournament that could take a couple of months, have the Euros and start a fresh 21/22 season.

philipos

Or run a 2021 and a 2022 season from January to October followed by the World Cup in November 2022.
I read something the other day. Whoever was quoted in the article was saying that we should scrap next season. Basically finish this one, whatever time it takes and then adjust for a new season.
If the remaining games start somewhere in September and are played all the way through November. Have a winter vacation until January, UEFA and FIFA could come up with some short term tournament that could take a couple of months, have the Euros and start a fresh 21/22 season.

LInkash

There's too much lost potential revenue to scrap an entire season.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Lots of points in there for different people.

In reply to the bit to me, who said I was limiting anything? You're assuming what I'm saying and why.

I'm commenting on a number of posts that were specifically about the Liverpool v Atletico game. But to take your point, the games before (imo) were wrong.... the Liverpool game was wrong (imo) .... and if PL games had been played the next weekend, they'd have been wrong, including United (imo, if that's ok)
The point wasn't the matches should have gone on. We can all agree sporting even should have been shutdown earlier. The point is that poster using this crisis to scapegoat a rival is classless. You can hate a rival without being a soulless prick.

Greck

Why are people even floating this idea? The point of finishing this season is money, not Liverpool or virtue or integrity. Cancelling 100% of next season's revenue to save 25% of this one's isn't even on the table. They presently hope to finish this one then start next one possibly even on a delayed calendar

SirAF

Ageist
No surprise there. The hacks who cover a particular club are little more than PR agents for the club at the best of times. Holt is a Liverpool fan. He was a reporter for the Echo (if ever a paper were appropriately named), then the Mirror under Piers Morgan and now the Mail and he despises United and always had it in for Fergie.
feck sake, that explains everything :lol:

Redcy

Why are people even floating this idea? The point of finishing this season is money, not Liverpool or virtue or integrity. Cancelling 100% of next season's revenue to save 25% of this one's isn't even on the table. They presently hope to finish this one then start next one possibly even on a delayed calendar
Yep people write this off as an "easy fix", you just "don't play next season", like that is some kind of magic fix. The same as playing BCD, if we do that to resolve this season then it will see clubs go under. The idea that we can just pull some magic cash out to pay for it is laughable, you would be talking millions upon millions to fix this crisis. Now it might happen anyway if you void this season, and the virus comes back, but you pretty much guarantee it if you cancel next season.

arnie_ni

Have you got a link to the interview?

I still think he has brain issues regardless. Although I don't think it's the cause of the problem, constantly resurrecting him cannot be helping matters.

Let the guy die in peace, you know?
Its actually on ssn youtube. The whole 2 and a bit hours

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
There is not a chance in hell that they will be able to finish the season. Not in April. Not in May. Not in June. Forget about it.

FujiVice

I am convinced something terrible happened to Gary Neville's brain while he was managing Valencia. Imagine suggesting clubs play all their remaining games over a period of 9 days, then having the audacity to call it the Festival of Football. Not to mention half of those clubs still have 10 games to finish. What, are they expected to play twice in a day?

The guy's lost his marbles completely.
Neville does realise that when this thing blows over we'll all want to get back to our normal lives as well as watch the footy doesnt he?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Just out of interest, as PL football clubs are generally rich, will they be buying these antibodies test packs up front to check what state their squad is in next month, for example? In other words who is already immune and who is still at risk? There may be quite a few players/staff that were asymptomatic?

D. Mungai

If Olympics will be cancelled what is league football?

Olympics committee gives itself 4 weeks to make a ruling about the event.

No chance we can play this season and decide not to play next season.

So when it's fully attainable to play know everything is in order for football to continue uninterrupted.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just out of interest, as PL football clubs are generally rich, will they be buying these antibodies test packs up front to check what state their squad is in next month, for example? In other words who is already immune and who is still at risk? There may be quite a few players/staff that were asymptomatic?
Clubs aren't going to be getting tests just so they can declare their boys risk free so they can play bcd just so you can get your title :lol:

Strelok

It’s not an unnecessary risk at all and it’s not at all like your boss telling you to speed on your scooter, least not because that would be breaking the law. But yeah, it’s not an unnecessary risk, it’s something that literally cannot be controlled and It’s with us now. The risk is always going to be there with this thing now.The idea that footballers will sue or quit the game and give up all this money they earn because of this virus, which will give pretty much all of them at worse a bad flu, is a fantasy. Loads of people with non critical jobs have got the virus and have you heard of anybody suing ? Well this the same thing. They’re not extra special because they’re footballers.
I see and agree with your point of players should not be able to sue their clubs since a lot of us are having to continue our jobs risking get ourself infected. They should be treated no special than us folks.

However I strongly disagree with the bold part. You'd die or get your career destroyed not just "at worst a bad flu". And also your family and your closed ones as well.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Here's an excerpt I quickly googled. Covers it quite well:

There is a relationship between the intensity and duration of runs and immune function. Moderately intense workouts tend to strengthen the immune system. For most people, this means an hour run at a steady pace. Running 10 miles or more or running to exhaustion can actually temporarilyweaken the immune system. This impairment of immune function generally lasts only a few hours, although for some people, especially those with an already weakened immune system, it may take several days. What has been observed is that marathon runners are up to six times more likely to get the common cold after a race.
Conor McGregor was saying that his immune system was down when he was training for fights as he was pushing himself to the limit.

Paxi

I presume if somebody got injured seriously they would have had to go to one of the public hospitals.

But when hospitals are full from May onwards it wouldn't be too well received by the public.
Yes Fabrice Muamba went to public hospital. There needs to be police, paramedics present at all matches across all professional leagues. No way the resources would be used to put on football to appease football teams, fans or anyone really. Also money in football is insignificant compared to what it's doing to the economy already. I mean we've already pledged 35bn emergency fund to combat Covid-19. Premier league stands to lose a measly 700 million if the season doesn't get finished. It's incomparable.

Paxi

There have been some comparisons between the situation in Italy and the UK with the UK said to be 2 weeks behind Italy.

I really don't see Serie A resuming until, at the very earliest, the beginning of May and more realistically I don't think will resume until mid-May maybe even late May. Therefore, I can't see the premier league resuming until June. At this point, next season would have to be rescheduled in some way if they want to finish the season. I'm still in favour of finishing the season because I think it's the only fair way to determine the winners and losers.
There is absolutely no chance of Serie A resuming in may when 800 people a day are dying in the country. They're going to be on lockdown for a long, long time and after it all calms down, they will be very cautious to prevent a second wave hitting them. In fact I'd be surprised if any football was played in 2020.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I suspect the reason the FA haven't called the season yet is to stop further panic, they surely know it is done.

League of Ireland is aiming to resume a shorter season from June but our government acted a lot quicker to the UK.

Judas

Open to offers
I wouldn't be surprised if finishing this season, whenever that is, maybe this time next year, was the only football we see till Euro 2021. I really hope that isn't the case though, because if it is it means things have got very very bad.

Actually it would surprise me, because continuing this season beyond end of June is going to be near on impossible legally.

Last edited:

Renegade

Continue this season with teams wearing their new kits due to contract and missing players out of contract?
It’ll feel like a new season anyway. It doesn’t really make much sense to me.

Redcy

Continue this season with teams wearing their new kits due to contract and missing players out of contract?
It’ll feel like a new season anyway. It doesn’t really make much sense to me.
Add in factors like players missing due to family, vulnerability, clubs that have gone into administration (if we go past say 5 months before a restart), many lower teams just being decimated by missing players, out of contracts, etc. This idea that "everyone will just work with us to make it happen", is unrealistic at best.

I still think the FA will hope we can finish it, and they will be hoping for a best case scenario where football restarts in June. However I am certain they will have looked at it and modelled internally what is the latest possible date we can restart. I suspect it wouldn't be later than the end of June. Right now that seems extremely optimistic, and maybe they could push to play it BCD at that point to finish. Even then it only really works for the PL, lower league clubs being told they must play BCD, just wont work I imagine.

I think the thread needs locking unless some new info comes out. At the moment we are all speculating on things we cannot know.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
I wouldn't be surprised if finishing this season, whenever that is, maybe this time next year, was the only football we see till Euro 2021. I really hope that isn't the case though, because if it is it means things have got very very bad.

Actually it would surprise me, because continuing this season beyond end of June is going to be near on impossible legally.
I think this is what might well happen.They will finish this season late on this year and next season will be axed.
They might keep the domestic cups and cl but next seasons league could be axed and we will probably have the Euro's also.

Flanders Devil

There’s lots of comments and arguments here - most of which are cycled through.

But one thing I didn’t see discussed (apologies in advanced if ive missed as just been scanning); do people think there is a middle ground at all with regard to resuming or is it all or nothing?

For a hypothetical example: There’s 9 rounds left. They’ve decided all games must be done be June 30. They’ve decided minimum break is a game can be played everyday. IF it was safe and you could resume (in this example) on June 25 - would they allow effectively a 6 game run to the end OR is it a case (again in this example) play would have to resume 22 June for them to consider starting?

I guess the reason I ask is, given that logic - all the powers that be would need to decide is the latest end date and the minimum gap between games to at least draw a line in the sand (on the league at least).

red4ever 79

I think this is what might well happen.They will finish this season late on this year and next season will be axed.
They might keep the domestic cups and cl but next seasons league could be axed and we will probably have the Euro's also.
So you think clubs can afford not to have one year's worth of prize money or broadcasting money. ? Any idea how the clubs will survive and pay the player's salaries.

MonkeysMagic

While there are differences in how Coronavirus affects people's health is widely circulated, the impact it has had on the collective IQ seems to have been largely missed!!

The PL and club owners are living in some alternate universe if they think football can resume in June/July, even behind closed doors. There simply is no grasp to how pandemics work their way through a population and the control measures required to mitigate its impact. It's the Trump level idiocy that seems to be creeping into common wisdom. Most of us want the current season to be completed but realistically if that can only occur next year, does it even matter?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

So are you going to be surprised or not? :lol: