Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
I've said all along that I fully expect this season to be completed. Nothing's been said, or has happened, to make me change my mind. I find it hard though to see how they'll finish the European competitions. So I can think of at least 2 clubs who might see themselves as 'victims' should the EL & CL be scrapped.
As others said, i would also say feck this season, if we were in your position. I do understand the frustration, though, you haven't won in a while, and are a special bunch.
Lives are more important than football, no matter how much we love the sport.
The behind closed doors argument is bullcrap, one player has it, spreads it to other players, they go home to their families and they get infected. It doesn't work.
Sad as it is, i doubt we'll see much more football this year, except like.. Belarus, i think their league is still going. Maybe we should all find a team to support there, just for a quick fix? ;)

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Inappropriate Behavior
As others said, i would also say feck this season, if we were in your position. I do understand the frustration, though, you haven't won in a while, and are a special bunch.
Lives are more important than football, no matter how much we love the sport.
The behind closed doors argument is bullcrap, one player has it, spreads it to other players, they go home to their families and they get infected. It doesn't work.
Sad as it is, i doubt we'll see much more football this year, except like.. Belarus, i think their league is still going. Maybe we should all find a team to support there, just for a quick fix? ;)
& yet over 1,200 children die every day from malaria & have done for years. Maybe some lives are more important than others to us westerners. Maybe deep down we're all just bullshit hypocrites.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
So are you saying the news of declining death reports in Spain make you immediately excited that football might be coming back?
United play in La Liga, remember? Anyway, that poster hasn’t got a clue what they are talking about.

stevoc

& yet over 1,200 children die every day from malaria & have done for years. Maybe some lives are more important than others to us westerners. Maybe deep down we're all just bullshit hypocrites.
Can you envisage a scenario where football not being played in England would help with that?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So are you saying the news of declining death reports in Spain make you immediately excited that football might be coming back?
The mods really need to remove this poster. It's hopefully an ignorant teen as otherwise an adult couldn't be this legitimately hard of thinking surely?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have some of you liverpool fans no limit to the depths you'll drop to?

Vanrouge

Oh my bad. How unlucky am I ? I've stumbled across the only Manchester United fan on the planet that would graciously forfeit the league title & agree to his side's 25 point lead being erased from the record books. Well this just happens to be your lucky day, because I'm the only Liverpool fan on the planet that believes you.

ps

I don't really believe you ;)
Your prerogative, mate, but you're wrong. The thing is, it's very telling that you can't conceive that others might have this mindset, that many of us are people before we're fans, and that the specific football clubs we support and their trophy haul is literally bottom of a list that includes the health and safety of our friends, family, neighbours, and strangers everywhere. Your inability to recognize this is so very telling. Thanks for showing your true colours.

Infra-red

It's difficult to see any football being played much before September (and even then, it would be behind closed doors), but that doesn't necessarily mean that this season can't/won't be finished, it's just that it would have to eat in to next season a little.

That might seem undesirable, but given that the current COVID-19 modelling predicts a series of waves of infection (with corresponding lockdowns with each upsurge), it is likely that next season will be significantly (possibly fatally) disrupted anyway.

Maybe the best thing to do is finish 2019/20 off in late August/September, and then more-or-less write off 2020/21 (at least in the traditional 38 game league sense) and come up with a different format for the games, involving significantly fewer fixtures.

PoTMS

This is one of the stupidest strawman arguments I've ever seen. No surprise, it's from a Liverpool fan.

Judas

Open to offers
Posts like this are so shameful, and totally obviously desperate. I said awhile back the Liverpool fans on here would be worse if the season was cancelled than if they actually won it, and we’re seeing all the signs. Disgusting stuff.

hobbers

People care more about family than people in their local community, more about people in their local community than their country, and more about people in their country than other countries.

Basic human nature. What has that got to do with a global pandemic halting football anyway?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I’m not sure that’s relevant to this discussion. People die every day all over the world. That doesn’t mean the world should stop spinning. Why would a country like the UK stop their football season because Malaria is a problem somewhere thousands of miles away?

This is different. It’s in the UK, it’s killing people in the UK, and resuming everything like it’s a normal day simply isn’t possible. It’d be irresponsible to do so.

I still don’t know what’ll happen. If it reaches September and this is still ongoing then starting a new season might not be possible.

Lee565

I'm curious how things will play out with players who's contracts expire at the end of june, will players be allowed to just leave sign for a new club as free agent whilst the rest of this season is still being played?

Member 101269

A colleague in China..

What will return and when?

Maybe ten weeks after China got into serious trouble, A lot of things are back, shopping centers ( with social distancing) restaurants ( mostly take away) Busses trains metros, intercity travel are back more or less. Sport isn’t, music concerts no, Cinemas are closed night clubs are closed, there is no international travel.
education is coming in limited form and might not be 100% for another 6 months.
What are you waiting for and when will it return?.
I think there’s no football next season. I think international travel in a serious form Is 15 months away. i think a vaccine will be quick but distribution slow- I think cinema is doomed...
Might not be so bad actually

AlwaysRed66

What does your colleague think about the exceptionally low death count quoted?
Presuming they are free to put their real thoughts across of course!
They probably will never be heard of again if they stated the true figures.

Member 101269

What does your colleague think about the exceptionally low death count quoted?
Presuming they are free to put their real thoughts across of course!
That isn't something you can discuss over the network

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Spain daily deaths and cases are going down day by day... it's early April.. yet some on here seem to think that by July we will still have record breaking deaths around the world and that football is simply not possible to be played 2.5 full months from now.

Personally I'm really excited to have football back! Looks like the end of the road would be by Mid May then we would need a month of preseason so football back in July odds on it will happen!
Your optimism has spilled over into total delusion.

China have been locking down since January with much more draconian measures than what we have seen in the UK. Only now are some restrictions being lifted, but they're still a long way off from being back to normal, and sporting events have not re-started, social distancing is still in effect.

As soon as any country begins to lift restrictions, a second wave will begin. It's certainly a slight positive to see cases begin to drop in Spain and Italy, but that's because everyone is staying inside and social contact is being curbed, and despite that, the virus is still spreading, just a little slower.

I'm not sure were you are looking to be able to see an "end of the road" in 6 weeks time. Is there a credible source backed with research also saying that mid-May is going to be the turning point which you're predicting? Or are you just trying to convince yourself?

The_Midfielder

A simple question.. How many of you will. be willing to go to a packed stadium, using a crowded mass transit this year?

Roboc7

Whenever they decide to resume the season it will inevitably all fall apart as soon as any players/managers/staff are diagnosed with the virus. Post lockdown the virus isn’t going away for at least six months and that is if you are being extremely optimistic. Could even happen that day before season resumes a player is diagnosed and straight away fixtures cancelled.

At this point I can only see this season being completed if it’s at the expense of next season or the Euro’s and that would have a bigger impact. Still see most likely scenario being this season being null and void and think have to be huge doubts about next season as well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He also says it has to be finished before September/October.

There will need to be a reasonable preseason for it to be legitimately competitive or there is no point playing it out. So you are looking at at least 12 weeks of football.

Football is already taking a battering over wages, good luck explaining why thousands of people need to travel around the country and require medical staff and police presence at each game.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
He also says it has to be finished before September/October.

There will need to be a reasonable preseason for it to be legitimately competitive or there is no point playing it out. So you are looking at at least 12 weeks of football.

Football is already taking a battering over wages, good luck explaining why thousands of people need to travel around the country and require medical staff and police presence at each game.
Yep. He literally says in the article it's not up to UEFA when they play or not. It's just more blind hope than anything.

Rooney24

Jesus fecking Christ.

Unbeliveable

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Looks like Bundesliga are still going tentatively for a May return, Bayern Munich returning to training on Monday.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
“The fact is that we really don’t know much,” Ceferin told the German broadcaster ZDF.
That means knowledge of this situation and the ensuing knock-on effects is very limited.
“We are waiting for the development of this terrible situation in the world, and mainly in Europe.
That means planning and date setting for potential footy restarts is very difficult and the unknown affects of this health crisis make the future very uncertain to predict.
Pushed on whether the season could be abandoned totally, Ceferin said: “If the authorities do not allow us to play, then we cannot play.”
That means they are deferring to authorities beyond football hierarchies and unless given the clearance to do so we cannot play.

Please do read the article though, because it really pours ice cold reality on your bullish attitude towards a quick resumption.

spiriticon

Liverpool need the title money to pay their poor furloughed staff. Just give them the title.

TheLord

Breaking: Inside sources now confirm that at least one non-playing Liverpool staff has not been furloughed yet !

He is the same person who was employed by the club to make a shiny new 4 feet by 3 feet trophy cabinet, but higher authorities now realise he has more work to do as the new cabinet needs to be taken down.

The_Midfielder

It simply won't be an option this year.
I dont see how the next season is possible.. forget this season.. unless it can be done closed doors... Who would go to the stadium..??.
social distancing is helping to flatten the curve.. but once that is removed.. there will still. be infected patients.. hospitals would still be crazy crowded... vaccine, is when the world will be back to normal

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Ashamed of Nothing.

90% of the fan base are fecking vile.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Which parts of this article support what you are saying?

It's pretty much just more blind optimism, and UEFA even say it's not in their hands. Of course it is better to finish the season than not from a purely sporting perspective, but only when it is safe to do so. The point where it is safe to do so is still some way ahead and impossible to predict.

The primary priority of all the members of the working group is to preserve public health.