Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The problem at the moment, is that various randoms are saying their own opinion, based on nothing, and people hear their status and believe them

Udinese chairman seems to reckon we're on the verge of cancelling the season

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-statement-season-cancelled

Whereas the "Uefa chief" seems certain Liverpool get their title whatever happens

https://www.football365.com/news/ue...mier-league-title?utm_source=Bibblio-F365-RHC
I don't think these two statements contradict each other - the Udinese chairman compares what we are doing to Belgium, where Brugge were crowned champions. So yeah, Liverpool may well be getting their title even if we suspend.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think these two statements contradict each other - the Udinese chairman compares what we are doing to Belgium, where Brugge were crowned champions. So yeah, Liverpool may well be getting their title even if we suspend.
Wasn't saying they were opposites, just saying it's the latest opinions from a couple of people in reasonable positions, based on their own particular opinion.

And nothing has really changed - nothing can be decided for a fair old time now.

But i'm not sure why a relative back water league like Belgium would be used to influence the major leagues.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Well they sort of have if they're just going off the final standings from the first phase of the league before the play-offs.
The first phase wasn’t completed yet. If the NBA declares Milwaukee champions tomorrow they haven’t changed their format either, they just declare current standings as final.

SirAnderson

Bloody hell as opposed to a near 20 point gap we have over City even if they beat us at home. Wowsers, the foolishness of some posters on here. :smirk:
Important clarification there. I was initially under the impression they were handed it because it was mathematically so, but when another Belgian poster said that playoff's needed to happen, it was more baffling how they could award the title when there was still so much that could have happened. In any event, I personally think it was a dumb decision to award them the title considering they have a better chance at finishing the league than in the UK. Also, in terms of "fairness" and I use that word loosely, it would make more sense to award Liverpool in the PL situation than it would Brugge. A strange decision that, but as mentioned, its a recommendation, so that can still say "feck off". :lol:

OleBoiii

Norway, one of the countries that has dealt with the corona virus the best, has stated that any sporting event before June 15 is impossible. This means that it will probably take longer than this.

I think it's pretty clear that we can't finish the current season and play the entirety of the 2020-2021 season. It will be interesting to see which of the two gets prioritized at the end of the day. I hope it's the next season, personally.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Norway, one of the countries that has dealt with the corona virus the best, has stated that any sporting event before June 15 is impossible. This means that it will probably take longer than this.

I think it's pretty clear that we can't finish the current season and play the entirety of the 2020-2021 season. It will be interesting to see which of the two gets prioritized at the end of the day. I hope it's the next season, personally.
Thing is though they can.

People will say it mucks up the traditional schedule but between this virus and the Qatar world cup the damage is already done in that regard, what's the point of being so desperate to get back to a traditional schedule that's going to again be compromised in two years anyway? Possibly earlier if the virus makes another big appearance.

OleBoiii

How? It's almost 2 full months of football left. If it's not safe to start playing before September(for instance), then there's no way we can have both. It could be possible if we scrapped all cups(Europe included), but I just can't see them do that.

Devil may care

Like I know the opinion of people in general is at an all time low but come on. There’s been numerous European/domestic games with home/away fans banned across Europe for years, LITERALLY this season as well and there’s never been a huge influx of away supporters trying to get in a home end, certainly not enough to cause a big enough problem. The idea that there’ll be thousands of banned away fans trying to get into home ends for European competition group games is kind of absurd.
I’ll add most people will respect rules and laws and if clubs step up efforts to keep away the ones that do try and flout the rules then it’s an easy win. Put measures in place.
The absurd thing is going to all of this trouble and risk for no logical reason, the world is in a huge mess right now, even getting domestic football going again is going to take a lot of money and work, orchestrating European travel restrictions and observation is not needed right away.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How? It's almost 2 full months of football left. If it's not safe to start playing before September(for instance), then there's no way we can have both. It could be possible if we scrapped all cups(Europe included), but I just can't see them do that.
I literally explained so below. Theoretically we could use the AVB idea of two calendar seasons before Qatar, which gives us 5 months to complete the season.
We need to let go the August-May ideals for the short term, the virus plus the World Cup has seen off the usual norm for now.

OleBoiii

I literally explained so below. Theoretically we could use the AVB idea of two calendar seasons before Qatar, which gives us 5 months to complete the season.
We need to let go the August-May ideals for the short term, the virus plus the World Cup has seen off the usual norm for now.
I can't find the explanation, but I'm assuming you mean that the next two seasons will follow the calendar year instead? I.e start in January/February and end in November?

That's all fine, except how do we return to the normal schedule after Qatar? Do we go half a year without football again? That's hardly any better than sacrificing next season entirely.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can't find the explanation, but I'm assuming you mean that the next two seasons will follow the calendar year instead? I.e start in January/February and end in November?

That's all fine, except how do we return to the normal schedule after Qatar? Do we go half a year without football again? That's hardly any better than sacrificing next season entirely.
Maybe gradually, like shorten seasons by a month from then on (which could be achieved by temporarily scrapping the domestic cup, just league cup in England, and making CL/EL knockout from the get go) until it levels back again or maybe we'll even like the new normal and stick with it, maybe Christmas off and summer filled with club footy will be seen as the way forward.

coolhand1969

Major League Baseball is talking about sequestering all the teams in Arizona and playing BCD at the facilities there, which are all within 50 miles. The Premiere League could do this in London. I know it won't work, but it's an idea.

RedDevil@84

I had read that all clubs signed up for it in Belgium. It was not a unilateral decision by the league.

stevoc

The first phase wasn’t completed yet. If the NBA declares Milwaukee champions tomorrow they haven’t changed their format either, they just declare current standings as final.
I'm aware mate thats why i said sort of, as in just going off the standings of the first 30 games. All i'm saying is they've obviously looked at it and went if the season was only 30 games long then its pretty much finished with most places already decided.

SirAnderson

Eh was just copying and pasting the headline from the guardian.

Looks like more and more leagues are handing out titles to the first placed team. I wouldn't be surprised if liverpool finally gets their title.
If that's the eventually then there is nothing to do but accept it. As long as there is no stupid rush to get football started just so that they can get it, and expose people unnecessarily to the virus.

stevoc

People will say it mucks up the traditional schedule but between this virus and the Qatar world cup the damage is already done in that regard, what's the point of being so desperate to get back to a traditional schedule that's going to again be compromised in two years anyway? Possibly earlier if the virus makes another big appearance.
Contracts mate, Contracts, Players, sponsors, kit manufacturers, broadcasters, tournament sponsors, pre-season tours, etc. etc.

I'm sure theres a bit of wiggle room in moving the season around but once you start talking about finishing a season in October/November that's supposed to finish in May it opens many cans of worms.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
If they are awarded it so be it.

No Anfield close ups, no title parades, no build up. No MOTD special.

Far better than the (football) nightmare we were all living in a few months ago**

*Obviously world situation is shite now, purely talking sport here.

OleBoiii

Maybe gradually, like shorten seasons by a month from then on (which could be achieved by temporarily scrapping the domestic cup, just league cup in England, and making CL/EL knockout from the get go) until it levels back again or maybe we'll even like the new normal and stick with it, maybe Christmas off and summer filled with club footy will be seen as the way forward.
For a long list of reasons: that's probably the worst suggestion I've read so far.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It would be a farce to make the league standings final. United, Sheffield, Villa have it all to play for. Especially Villa, they could be out of the relegation zone with winning that game in hand. No way final standings will happen as they are. Liverpool will likely win the league and playoff between United, Leicester, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Also play off in the bottom 6-8 clubs which will have to be agreed by all parties incase they don't get the result they want and then start complaining.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Far better than the (football) nightmare we were all living in a few months ago**

If they're awarded it without actually winning it by being top of the table after 38 games, fair and square via real sporting achievement. It'll just be like that Harry Kane "goal" against stoke?

Other football fans will never accept it as a real title?

Could they actually refuse it and say they want to win it properly once a new season starts?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It would forever be known as having the title "awarded" rather than won, despite their big lead.

Not really how you want to end a 30 year dry spell.
Not to mention no one outside of their club would give a toss. Dreadful circumstances really.

redmeister

Haven't the clubs in Belgium all played each other both home and away, with the exception of one fixture? Surely, that makes a huge difference when it comes to allowing the current standings to remain. Yes the league doesn't split as it usually does, but ultimately, by the standards of every top league in Europe, they have completed the season. I know the competitive architecture was laid out before the start of the season and that structure hasn't been completed, but surely any reasonable person can see Belgium has a far stronger argument for ending now, as they've pretty much completed a regular league season. In fact this season's placings seem more fair than the normal season. They should stick to it.

Redcy

If they're awarded it without actually winning it by being top of the table after 38 games, fair and square via real sporting achievement. It'll just be like that Harry Kane "goal" against stoke?

Other football fans will never accept it as a real title?

Could they actually refuse it and say they want to win it properly once a new season starts?
what about the way liverpool fc makes you think they would give it up?

Frankly it is what a number of us have said for some time. Once it’s clear you can’t finish this and restart next season sensibly, void this season. If Liverpool really want their trophy I’m happy they can have it so that we can move on with not fecking up two seasons, putting players/people at risk to start early just for supposed integrity.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Haven't the clubs in Belgium all played each other both home and away, with the exception of one fixture? Surely, that makes a huge difference when it comes to allowing the current standings to remain. Yes the league doesn't split as it usually does, but ultimately, by the standards of every top league in Europe, they have completed the season. I know the competitive architecture was laid out before the start of the season and that structure hasn't been completed, but surely any reasonable person can see Belgium has a far stronger argument for ending now, as they've pretty much completed a regular league season. In fact this season's placings seem more fair than the normal season. They should stick to it.
Doesn't matter about other league's formats. Gent can say they had in mind to 'take Brugge out in the play offs'. So honour that now.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Even if Liverpool are awarded the PL, just think about it, they would be the most irrelevant title winners ever. No parade, no celebration, an empty title.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Admit it. You're still going to be gutted however we win it.
We got our heads round the idea of you winning it yonks ago. This has all just been a welcome bonus for us.

RedDevil@84

We should not be needing to put such disclaimers here. This is a sports forum. It is a given that people will discuss sports.
People who come to a football forum and post "Can't believe we are discussing football, when world is ......." need to get off their high horses and feck off.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
We should not be needing to put such disclaimers here. This is a sports forum. It is a given that people will discuss sports.
People who come to a football forum and post "Can't believe we are discussing football, when world is ......." need to get off their high horses and feck off.
Well said mate. We need some sort of distraction from the depressing news that seems to consume our every waking minute.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If the PL is abandoned, I don't mind if Liverpool are given the title. I just hope promotion and relegation is written off completely, as it just wouldn't be fair at all (and also Leeds lolol)