Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I hate all this talk Uefa is throwing around about nulling and voiding the domestic season in all countries. I must have come across it a maximum of zero times in that statement. :D :wenger:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Interesting line here which would rule out declaring current positions as final imo:

You can't declare the top four positions as they are when other teams are still well within reach of overtaking sides like Chelsea and Leicester in the remaining fixtures.

UncleBob

Interesting line here which would rule out declaring current positions as final imo:

You can't declare the top four positions as they are when other teams are still well within reach of overtaking sides like Chelsea and Leicester in the remaining fixtures.
It doesn't.

Member 101269

I agree.. choosing on merit doesn’t mean completion. If anything UEFA have thrown leagues, teams, players and fans under the bus

Play or you decide.. if you decide wrong you’re not coming in

I’m finding the pressure UEFA are exerting rather unsavoury

Last edited by a moderator:

SharpshooterTom

The German government might not sign off on the Bundesliga return, it feels a bit grotesque for football to return so early with thousands of people still dying. Driven by greed undoubtedly as well and moron fans who act like football is the most important thing in their life.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Who plays who for Top 4 then, and relegation for that matter
It's a joke.

Some teams should technically be in both a CL playoff and a relegation playoff as mathematically they could end up in either situation if the league was finished

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not a chance it could be done in 3-4 weeks, even setting aside the need for a mini pre-season before a restart. Some teams have potentially 18 games left in the season if they go all the way in cups.

How can 2-3 weeks training and 18 games be completed in 3-4 weeks?
Cups will be cancelled surely, well FA cup given the Uefa plan seems to be to play remainder of europa and CL in August so seems to give chance for domestic leagues to get all league fixtures done in June if possible.

I'd cancel the FA cup purely due to playing a final at empty 90k Wembley seems ridiculous. Or perhaps delay it to this time next year but no guarentees everything will be back to normal by then.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Not to mention world cup qualifiers.
Seems the plan is to play three games over the international breaks rather than just two which makes sense to me. Just rejig so all league games take place on the preceding Saturday and then Sunday/Mondays afterwards.

Surely the nations league will just get dropped anyway given it's not really that integral to qualification bar the odd team getting a back route into world cup qualification play offs.

Redcy

You should like the government: I’ll rephrase you statement. Gloves provide protection, but the population can’t be trusted to take them off correctly or no touch their faces. The population can be trusted with advise not to touch their faces and wash hands..
OK I will give you that. You say this and then people are saying we can have half full stadiums and trust people. People couldn't be trusted with shopping properly, having to have one in one out, tape on the floors, etc, and we expect 25k of them to behave? I think we will see it be a 50% policy on return, but it won't be done until its safe for 100%

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He’s actually right.

it relies on testing, and having support of medical staff. How can you do that if the tests are required by the NHS.

Furthermore, the questions of squad depth and costs of players wages has been raised by the article - which I have been banging on about for weeks, not for the PL but for the lower leagues.

it’s a shame if didn’t fit your agenda (for you), but to marginalise the issues and challenges would be utter nonsense
Surely testing is a bit of a moot point in this. If we get to mid June (still two months away) and STILL there isn't enough reliable testing for NHS and patients going into hospital and it hasn't been rolled out to decent amount each day that will be a massive catastrophic failure of government. Sports teams certainly wouldn't be getting them but I think the ire of people will be directed a little higher up.

Redcy

Surely testing is a bit of a moot point in this. If we get to mid June (still two months away) and STILL there isn't enough reliable testing for NHS and patients going into hospital and it hasn't been rolled out to decent amount each day that will be a massive catastrophic failure of government. Sports teams certainly wouldn't be getting them but I think the ire of people will be directed a little higher up.
The only reliable testing is via labs at the moment. I don't think we have seen anything to suggest that would change yet have we? This is not a government thing as such, its a supplier thing. Now governments could have asked labs to do it rather than go for rapid testing but thats probably the only failure.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
based on sporting merit in the 2019/20 domestic competitions:

ie -

If the season terminated today, current top 4 would get CL. Utd possibly dependant if UEFA would stop City entering.

IMO the season wont restart

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
Should probably wait to see what's happening with Holland and Belgium and how much fuss is kicked up.

It's all well and good UEFA applying pressure from their end but theres financial pressure from elsewhere urging the season to be completed.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Not quite, if the season ended now and any of Leicester, City or ourselves did not get into the CL, it'd be unfair. As current standings would have us qualified. On that basis, UEFA could refuse entry to someone who finished below 4th, and hand it to one of the current top 4.

However, the only loophole in that instance would be whether City will get their ban upheld. Utd would get in, then

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I hate all this talk Uefa is throwing around about nulling and voiding the domestic season in all countries. I must have come across it a maximum of zero times in that statement. :D :wenger:
Being handed the trophy when the 38 games haven't been completed will be equally funny though. You will never live It down.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Not quite, if the season ended now and any of Leicester, City or ourselves did not get into the CL, it'd be unfair. As current standings would have us qualified. On that basis, UEFA could refuse entry to someone who finished below 4th, and hand it to one of the current top 4.

However, the only loophole in that instance would be whether City will get their ban upheld. Utd would get in, then
City's ban will only get reduced to a year at best so there's a good chance 5th will get in anyway.

Clubs that break the rules need not apply. However that leaves PSG. How the hell they have not fallen foul is beyond me.

Sort of, as tests can be arranged privately.

Medical assistance is not a moot point though. Each ground has to have at least one fully crewed emergency ambulance on standby. If we are still deep in this pandemic there is no way the NHS can spare that.

They will have to if they wanna attend the game, simple as.

That’s utterly ridiculous and you know it.

you can’t even get everyone to queue property in a supermarket and that might be 50 people.

you are utterly insane if you think you are going to get 30k supporters queuing in an orderly fashion, on the way in and out of a stadium - doesn’t matter for which club.

what % of complete morons do you think there are in society? Let’s be honest, double or triple that and you’ve got the demographic of a football supporter. Would you trust all other people in the stadium not to be a dick? Seriously?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

The other problem is that finishing the league based on current positions means that we'll never know if Chelsea would've picked up required points in their remaining fixtures to maintain that position. Same with Leicester and possibly whoever finishes 5th depending on City's CL ban.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
If current placings are final and Utd qualify for the CL as a result of City's ban and then go on to win it will there be an asterisk beside it? Asking for a friend.

Blackwidow

The German government might not sign off on the Bundesliga return, it feels a bit grotesque for football to return so early with thousands of people still dying. Driven by greed undoubtedly as well and moron fans who act like football is the most important thing in their life.
It is not about greed. 13 clubs of 1st and 2nd Bundesliga will go broke before the end of the season if the season does not finish as then the TV stations do not have to pay the last part of the TV money. It is a business like all other businesses - and a lot people live from it, not just the football players.

And when you allow beauty parlors and hair dressers to start again next week - football is not less important and with a security concept for sure not more dangerous. I do not need to buy a 3rd winter jacket or my 10th pair of shoes or new pants - or flowers (they look better wild in nature) - but the shops for that are open now or will be opened soon.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It is not about greed. 13 clubs of 1st and 2nd Bundesliga will go broke before the end of the season if the season does not finish as then the TV stations do not have to pay the last part of the TV money. It is a business like all other businesses - and a lot people live from it, not just the football players.

And when you allow beauty parlors and hair dressers to start again next week - football is not less important and with a security concept for sure not more dangerous. I do not need to buy a 3rd winter jacket or my 10th pair of shoes or new pants - or flowers (they look better wild in nature) - but the shops for that are open now or will be opened soon.
You think TV channels will let the league disintegrate like that? Destroy future income over a few games this season?

Pagh Wraith

Why is it any more grotesque than all the other things that are open? First of all, thousands of people aren't dying. The German state of Hesse just today reported a lower death rate since the middle of March than in previous years. Partly due to social distancing of course but across the country shopping malls, schools, DIY stores and other businesses are reopening. Even small demonstrations are allowed again so why should football not follow suit?

I think the league has presented a very clear concept which has been developed by a medical task force and they have made it very clear today that they are prepared to stop if the situation changes, e.g. infections start to rise again. All laboratories they are cooperating with have assured that the current capacities are sufficient and that there are no limitations on testing capacity due to Covid-19.

If current placings are final and Utd qualify for the CL as a result of City's ban and then go on to win it will there be an asterisk beside it? Asking for a friend.
didn’t Liverpool qualify for the CL when they weren’t entitled to, and the rules were changed to accommodate them?

I don’t need to make up a friend.:D

UncleBob

Just as it would be unfair to base it on current league standings, as Chelsea are 3 points ahead of United but have had the benefit of having a much easier fixture list

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Any possible solution will have flaws, so pointing out the flaws of a individual possible solution as if that is reason enough not to go ahead with it seems redundant. Whatever they do will be unfair on someone, that's just tough luck.

UncleBob

UEFA are essentially doing their bit to force the various leagues by stating it has to be based on 19/20 merits, which is a proper dick move which will leave several clubs very unhappy with the outcome. In the long run they might regret that decision

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
UEFA are essentially doing their bit to force the various leagues by stating it has to be based on 19/20 merits, which is a proper dick move which will leave several clubs very unhappy with the outcome. In the long run they might regret that decision
There's no real option that will leave everyone happy though.