Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's not rocket science. Until they developed a vacinne (which is months months away) football is the least of everyone's priority and rightly so.

Even if they rush it it'll be prone to disruption every other week depending on outside factors
The powers that be aren't morons. They'll be as aware of this as a guy on a forum.
Yet there's still loads of talk of it starting up not far away.

djembatheking

When football restarts will it be all levels right down to the very low leagues or just the top tiers in each country? Surely it will have to be all or nothing ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If anyone thinking we're 3 - 6 months away from football they're kidding themselves.

We'd be lucky if we have football in the next 12 months
Not sure why Sky is getting such push back on this.

We are at least a year away from a vaccine. When retail opens up again it’s going to be with the same 2 metre social distancing rules that we currently have in supermarkets and this social distancing will be in place across all industries. Hairdressers and professionals who can’t avoid contact will be expected to use PPE.

So the idea we will have all these social distancing measures until a vaccine or effective therapies are in place and football will somehow reject all this and let hundreds/thousands of footballers across the country get into sweaty melees in the penalty box is madness.

That’s before you even consider the fact that NHS and Police will be required to attend each game.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I agree with that. I'm not in the UK but some of the relaxation measures are more geared towards not crippling the economies and a bit of improvement in the mental health department. Concerts, sporting events and the like are a long way away imo. Even if you do start behind close doors, one player gets infected and the squad is in isolation, it's just not feasible imo. Some limited group training to keep fitness and tactical work fresh yes, but games? No way until the pandemic is fully under control and that will not be until late summer early September, or even later given that only a vaccine gives guarantees of safety.
Apparently that's not the case.

">

TheReligion

Abusive

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Leaked document on the Bundesliga return<br>✅ Max of 322 people (players, staff, media, medical, etc.) at any game<br>✅ Temperature checks at entrance<br>✅ No requirement for group quarantine if positive test<br>✅ No shaking hands or team photos<br>✅ No mixed zone or live press conferences</p>&mdash; Ronan Murphy (@swearimnotpaul) <a href="">April 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
The thread is about the PL in the UK though?

forevrared

We are at least a year away from a vaccine. When retail opens up again it’s going to be with the same 2 metre social distancing rules that we currently have in supermarkets and this social distancing will be in place across all industries. Hairdressers and professionals who can’t avoid contact will be expected to use PPE.

So the idea we will have all these social distancing measures until a vaccine or effective therapies are in place and football will somehow reject all this and let hundreds/thousands of footballers across the country get into sweaty melees in the penalty box is madness.

That’s before you even consider the fact that NHS and Police will be required to attend each game.
This is probably the best take. I know they've taken some liberties with vaccine research so far - even starting human trials without animal testing in some places - but getting a working vaccine is really the only way the world returns to any semblance of "normal". Until then, it will be a shell of the world we know.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Point being whenever it does return it will at a point (like in Germany right now) that you don't need to quatentine a whole squad due to one positive result.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Weird how we're at this point and people are still making unhealthy comparisons, isn't it? Always the same desperate people too.
I've just had a look at your profile and it appears you make a lot of posts on the Jadon Sancho thread.

Quite laughable that you've spent weeks getting on your high horse about people wanting football to return then go and display desperation for a £100m transfer in what will be the worst economic times for decades if not centuries.

TheReligion

Abusive
Point being whenever it does return it will at a point (like in Germany right now) that you don't need to quatentine a whole squad due to one positive result.
Says an unnamed leaked document from another country..

The logical view in the UK currently, given theres been over 20,000 deaths, is we are still under lockdown and will be for a while longer. When the government hit their 5 required criteria you will see it relaxed, not lifted. If things continue you'll see a very gradual release of the lockdown until hopefully we are back to normal. This isn't a few weeks away even if things go really well and there's no new cases anywhere in the world.

I'm not sure what people can't grasp about this.

jackal&hyde

">
That reads more like a proposed document type of thing coming from the league itself. It's normal they would be desperate to go ahead but i highly doubt it will come to pass. I'd also say that Germany has a much better picture of the situation then the UK given the number of tests made.

TheReligion

Abusive
That reads more like a proposed document type of thing coming from the league itself. It's normal they would be desperate to go ahead but i highly doubt it will come to pass. I'd also say that Germany has a much better picture of the situation then the UK given the number of tests made.
Yeah it would be stupid to think countries aren't making up possible plans as to how things may go post Covid-19. Doesn't mean that's anywhere near. It's just what you'd expect to be done as a contingency.

Danny Roberts

The only way to end the uncertainty that is viable IMO is to end the season as it is, have one-game play-offs and only promote teams, no relegation. A 23-team PL starting, hopefully, in August.

Member 101269

Models from other countries are being discussed; such as kids returning to school. That can't be rushed, not because of the kids, but because the logistics of getting depleted food stores into kitchens. There will need to be 2-3 weeks notice, it's not for fetched to believe the German model of primary in the morning and juniors in the afternoon will happen.

The list, which i don't believe is the final, looks like a proposal. If a government agree not to isolate a whole team and the opposition I'd be surprised.

That said.. I'm not convinced in the slightest that the league will start in early June. I can understand that politicians are wanting to give some people hope; this government has a record of buying the future in messages and it all falling apart etc etc. I'm taking this now like a pitch of salt.

forevrared

The only way to end the uncertainty that is viable IMO is to end the season as it is, have one-game play-offs and only promote teams, no relegation. A 23-team PL starting, hopefully, in August.
Where are they going to fit in the 6 extra games, even if it were to start in August?

alsabi

Where are they going to fit in the 6 extra games, even if it were to start in August?
And would it be a 23-team league on a permanent basis thereafter i.e. would relegation/promotion work as now from next season? Would you relegate six teams rather than three to normalise things?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

">
Surprised by the no group quarantine if someone is infected.
Unless they're all staying in an isolated hotel away from family?

Otherwise surely you risk spreading to 25 families with one infection.

">
- no group quarantine if there is a positive test
The only way the government allows that is if the whole footballing group is isolated from the general public from the start. They're not going to risk referees, journalists, coaches etc. going out into the world having come into contact with a confirmed case.

When football restarts will it be all levels right down to the very low leagues or just the top tiers in each country? Surely it will have to be all or nothing ?
Lower leagues have already been canned for the season.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
From supporting Wycombe in a 23 team league this year it's very messy.

You end up with an awkward lack of balance. Teams are always games behind, one doesn't have a game each week meaning random two week gaps at times.
Or one team getting a big advantage in having their break when it's 2 games in 3 days over new year.
It's unworkable.

I think if they went the extra teams route they'd bin the playoffs and just go top 2.
But i can't see promotions unless we play out the season, personally.

EwanI Ted

You're forgetting testing, which is the key difference. The sheer number of hairdressers and their customers makes it impossible to test everyone in the country before they get a haircut, which is why they need social distancing and/or PPE. But each game of football has a relatively small number of people at a small number of locations, who can all be isolated for a day or two before a game and who could all be tested during that time. Not simple, not logistically doable. At the moment there's nowhere near enough testing to make that happen. But within a couple of months it looks like we'll get there.

djembatheking

Models from other countries are being discussed; such as kids returning to school. That can't be rushed, not because of the kids, but because the logistics of getting depleted food stores into kitchens. There will need to be 2-3 weeks notice, it's not for fetched to believe the German model of primary in the morning and juniors in the afternoon will happen.

The list, which i don't believe is the final, looks like a proposal. If a government agree not to isolate a whole team and the opposition I'd be surprised.

That said.. I'm not convinced in the slightest that the league will start in early June. I can understand that politicians are wanting to give some people hope; this government has a record of buying the future in messages and it all falling apart etc etc. I'm taking this now like a pitch of salt.
Even the kids going back is far from straightforward as some parents are high risk and can't risk their kids bringing the virus home. My daughter has got 2 kids of school age now and has a third due in August. But it may be just the case that her kids have to stay at home.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised by the no group quarantine if someone is infected.
Unless they're all staying in an isolated hotel away from family?

Otherwise surely you risk spreading to 25 families with one infection.
Long term isolating every single person potentially in contact with the virus isn't sustainable. If one person gets it in say a bank do we have to shut that bank down plus the workplaces of anyone who came into contact with that person? I know they did in March when Arteta and Cal got it but that (just like lockdown) was a sticky plaster solution to slow the growing spread.

The whole world is eventually going to have to coexist with the virus. Ignoring the trivial stuff for one minute football pumps billions into the economy and keeps thousands of people (per club) in work (and ultimately, many children fed), that reason alone will ensure that it's back once logistically possible.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Still think
That was an official release by the German league.

They even held a press conference outlining all that.
No football association can decide when they start back, so they can propose all they like it’s in the Governments say so. It’s absolute BS, just read it *no shaking hands* what fecking difference is that going to make in a football match where players are literally all over each other. Considering how well Germany has seemed to manage this it would be odd for them to risk a football return so soon. It send out all the wrong messages to the public.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Long term isolating every single person potentially in contact with the virus isn't sustainable. If one person gets it in say a bank do we have to shut that bank down plus the workplaces of anyone who came into contact with that person? I know they did in March when Arteta and Cal got it but that (just like lockdown) was a sticky plaster solution to slow the growing spread.

The whole world is eventually going to have to coexist with the virus. Ignoring the trivial stuff for one minute football pumps billions into the economy and keeps thousands of people (per club) in work (and ultimately, many children fed), that reason alone will ensure that it's back once logistically possible.
While football is a simple sport played by 22 man on the field, EPL football on TV is a big deal that needs hundreds if not thousands of people working simultaneously to provide us with live football we see on telly.

Let's just imagine:
1. Bus driver to drive the team, you can't expect them to take tube?
2. Referee, linesman x 2, backup ref
3. FA officials (could be minimised, but you'll need someone in charge for legal reasons)
4. TV (I don't know how many people they'll need for camera + broadcast + manager etc), let's say around 20. Not to mention their own logistic people
5. Coaches / Ass. Manager + 7 subs + club doctors
6. Stadium personnel (lighting, groundsman, security, gatekeeper, etc)
7. Police + medics on standby
8. TV back office in hundreds of nations trying to make this broadcast possible (and their own manpower necessary to make things happens)

before you know it one match will need 100+ people. And we're talking about 20+ over matches a week in EPL alone.

That's only directly, not to mention indirectly having competitive football matches means players have to train daily, and opening their training complex means a whole bunch of people would start risking infections just so you can watch football.

The game of football is simple, getting there is a hassle not worth the risk in times likethis.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
While football is a simple sport played by 22 man on the field, EPL football on TV is a big deal that needs hundreds if not thousands of people working simultaneously to provide us with live football we see on telly.

Let's just imagine:
1. Bus driver to drive the team, you can't expect them to take tube?
2. Referee, linesman x 2, backup ref
3. FA officials (could be minimised, but you'll need someone in charge for legal reasons)
4. TV (I don't know how many people they'll need for camera + broadcast + manager etc), let's say around 20. Not to mention their own logistic people
5. Coaches / Ass. Manager + 7 subs + club doctors
6. Stadium personnel (lighting, groundsman, security, gatekeeper, etc)
7. Police + medics on standby
8. TV back office in hundreds of nations trying to make this broadcast possible (and their own manpower necessary to make things happens)

before you know it one match will need 100+ people. And we're talking about 20+ over matches a week in EPL alone.

That's only directly, not to mention indirectly having competitive football matches means players have to train daily, and opening their training complex means a whole bunch of people would start risking infections just so you can watch football.

The game of football is simple, getting there is a hassle not worth the risk in times likethis.
I pretty much countered that on my last paragraph.

Take out the trivial stuff like "22 men on a field" football puts billions into the economy through taxes (and alas the NHS) and every big/biggish club alone has thousands of employees many of whom I imagine live hand to mouth.

At some point the cure will become worse than the actual virus.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Take out the trivial stuff like "22 men on a field" football puts billions into the economy through taxes (and alas the NHS) and every big/biggish club alone has thousands of employees many of whom I imagine live hand to mouth.

Probably, but between football vs Hospital, school, supermarket, even actual necessity such as hair saloon is much more essential to humans compared to football.

You can't argue against for starting football when even schools are still closed.

At the end of the day it is only a form of entertainment. I kinda miss football, but if I have to choose between having a haircut, going to school, even going to cinema, football is way off my list.

Look, don't get me wrong. I too want football as much as the next guy in here, just because I choose to remain realistic doesn't mean i want it to happen. Who knows what can happen in 3months, but I don't want to watch football if it's forced under the current situation. So anything other than a full vaccine ready environment is too soon for football.

Member 101269

Even the kids going back is far from straightforward as some parents are high risk and can't risk their kids bringing the virus home. My daughter has got 2 kids of school age now and has a third due in August. But it may be just the case that her kids have to stay at home.
The reverse of that, how many kids only get a good meal at school and have homes where they're not getting an education. Most of the focus is on kids and teachers.. image the catering staff that handle food, then clear the potentially COVID infested environment of the dining room after kids have finished eating. Now think about the demographics of those workers (the works equivalent to carers)
It's not simple at all..

Welcome to the new economy where governments print money, people get 2500 per months to not work and businesses get loans for free. Your billions that merely move around the UK economy or moved out of the country is pretty trivial in the bigger picture and how else that money could be taxed.

Pagh Wraith

Still think

No football association can decide when they start back, so they can propose all they like it’s in the Governments say so. It’s absolute BS, just read it *no shaking hands* what fecking difference is that going to make in a football match where players are literally all over each other. Considering how well Germany has seemed to manage this it would be odd for them to risk a football return so soon. It send out all the wrong messages to the public.
High-ranking politicians have already said they are backing the plan. The league wouldn't have come forward the way they did if they didn't think the government would support it. Yesterday the ministers for sport of all 16 German states came together and concluded continuing in mid May were reasonable.

We had demonstrations of 500 to 1000 people over the weekend in some cities, shopping centres and schools have reopened to a degree. It's only logical that football will return sooner rather than later provided a strategy for health and safety is in place. Whether that is right or wrong is a different matter and not what we are discussing here but the signs are clear.

I posted a detailed overview of the German plan in the Bundesliga thread if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

jackal&hyde

We're a very long way away from that though. A vaccine could be 6 to 12 months away. Even in a worst case scenario, the World will be just fine without football for that time.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
"Do you remember when we had that once a lifetime world emergency that affected millions and totally changed life as we knew it?"

"Oh yes..that was the season Liverpool were awarded the league"
:lol:

Liverpool fans have embarrassed themselves with their bloody minded insistence on focusing on the league completion. Real lack of humanity.

arnie_ni

Not sure how this is relevant, all epl clubs are paying all staff in full so all this tax is still being paid.

At least im fairly certain they all back tracked on the wage cuts and use of furlough scheme after public backlash.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So anything other than a full vaccine ready environment is too soon for football.
I like the thought process behind this and I don't disagree, but I doubt that's what will happen, given that i) a vaccine might be 1, 2, 10 years away, and even simply never found and ii) other countries are already planning a restart in the very near future even when the virus is still hitting hard on other nearby countries.

Brightonian

People acting as if no part of the economy will be reactivated until it can be done entirely safely are the ones fooling themselves. I work in non-essential retail and I'm hearing that we're not far off being allowed to re-open now. We will get similar guidelines to supermarkets but trust me when I say it is completely impossible to open most types of shop (a bookshop, in my case) and actually keep the risk of transmission in that shop low. People will not be able to stay two metres away from each other. People will constantly be touching things immediately after each other (both products and also surfaces, payment equipment, baskets, door handles etc). For every five reasonably sensible careful customers there will be an eccentric or careless person wandering around coughing, getting oddly up in your personal space, bringing fifteen dribbling kids in...

But the government is still going to do it sooner rather than later because rightly or wrongly they consider economic collapse worse than a sustained mid-level outbreak of the virus.

BCD football, by comparison, is not such a big deal. They have resources, they have expertise, and 322 people inside an entire football stadium is not that much - on a single busy day we can get easily twice that many people walking into the shop. It will be possible to keep everyone except for the players when they're on the pitch reasonable insulated from one another. I foresee a situation where players are constantly tested, rendering the physical contact on the pitch virtually risk free.