Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Greck

What was it for?
Breaking protocol/medical advice I guess. Even players that test negative still have to follow it. Asides the need for strict adherence to protocol one could easily have contracted it since the time of their test samples being taken. This is easily how players are going to spread it unknowingly. Thirdly and probably the most honest reason is it was just really really really stupid of him to do it on social media. Showing leniency would then look like they don't take it seriously. I'm guessing no one in the club would have taken action otherwise. Even generally authorities are ready to overlook minor misdemeanours till some moron forces their hand by doing it on social media

Last edited:

Blackwidow

But he was negative, and all of his teammates too. What wrong did he do?

Of course, in different circumstances it would have been wrong. But surely not in these. I mean, he just trained for over an hour with some of these guys, tackling, breathing heavily, spitting, sweating and all. And in ten days or so, they will be playing football, with exactly the same procedure, starting to play AFTER negative test. He shaked hands AFTER negative test.

So for sure, either both types of behaviour are dangerous, or neither is.

But no, they will picture Kalous as careless idiot for not following rules, while at the same time they are pictured as people generally concerned both with wellbeing of football and players. And they will be endangering Kalou and the likes of Kalou far more than he did endanger himself and his teammates.

And why is negative attention problem? Are they hiding something, or are they afraid that someone is going to prove them wrong if there is too much attention to what is going on? Surely Kalou isn't the only one doing this, he is the only one recording it.
There was a clear protocol how players and staff have to behave - and that meant besides the testings to keep distance - on and off the pitch. Kalou with his video just showed that he does not care.

There is a 51 page long pdf of the DFL that tells everybody around the matches and the trainings how everything has to function.
It is in German... https://www.dfl.de/de/task-force-sportmedizin_sonderspielbetrieb_2020-05-01/
That e.g. the teams have to use the tunnel in different times, that there will not be no handshakes, team photos etc.
and that tells the players how to behave on the pitch, in training and at home.

TheReligion

Abusive
There was a clear protocol how players and staff have to behave - and that meant besides the testings to keep distance - on and off the pitch. Kalou with his video just showed that he does not care.

There is a 51 page long pdf of the DFL that tells everybody around the matches and the trainings how everything has to function.
It is in German... https://www.dfl.de/de/task-force-sportmedizin_sonderspielbetrieb_2020-05-01/
That e.g. the teams have to use the tunnel in different times, that there will not be no handshakes, team photos etc.
I get that but is it still not ridiculous?

Blackwidow

I get that but is it still not ridiculous?
Somehow yes as the risk between people that just were tested or are tested so often should not be that high... Especially if you see the number of active cases in relation to the inhabitants in Germany.

On the other hand the existence of some of the clubs of the first and 2nd league depends on the restart of the league as they need that last TV rate and with that a lot jobs.

And it is not that there haven't been enough voices against a restart. Compared to other nations there is already a lot open but not all kids are back to school or in preschool etc. You can imagine all that voices that talk about special treatments of the milionarios... - the talk shows were full with them in the recent days...

The DFL has made that special concept together with the clubs and doctors to get this through despite the hurdles... and when a video is made of a player that does not follow the rules that does not shed a good light on that project.

There is not much danger that everything functions if the players keep the rules... - if some think they can go out and party...

Last edited:

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
But as TheReligion has said, is it not ridiculous?

There is not much danger that everything functions if the players keep the rules... - if some think they can go out and party...
This part is funny. If player has coronavirus, he is going to pass it on by participating in a game or training. End of. Handshaking is not as risky as the football itself.

That's my issue with this story. You (or to be fair to you, the rulemakers) make it sound like the virus can't be transmited while playing the game but only by not respecting the off-the-field rules, which is wrong. By all sense and logic, a single air duel is more dangerous than multiple handshakes.

Greck

But as TheReligion has said, is it not ridiculous?

This part is funny. If player has coronavirus, he is going to pass it on by participating in a game or training. End of. Handshaking is not as risky as the football itself.

That's my issue with this story. You (or to be fair to you, the rulemakers) make it sound like the virus can't be transmited while playing the game but only by not respecting the off-the-field rules, which is wrong. By all sense and logic, a single air duel is more dangerous than multiple handshakes.
You really cant see how It's not about eliminating the risk but controlling it. It's especially crucial to adhere to protocol while testing is ongoing before restarting the league. They're trying to get a picture of who has it and who doesn't

Besides said player could easily have come in contact with the virus since the time of his sample being taken. You still have to keep contact to a minimum till the next test

Last edited:

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
And would you care to explain how exactly is the risk controlled in this way?

Greck

And would you care to explain how exactly is the risk controlled in this way?
read the edit

Wait a sec. You mean if i would care to explain how the risk of spreading the virus is controlled by reducing unnecessary contact?

Redcy

You really cant see how It's not about eliminating the risk but controlling it. It's especially crucial to adhere to protocol while testing is ongoing before restarting the league. They're trying to get a picture of who has it and who doesn't

Besides said player could easily have come in contact with the virus since the time of his sample being taken. You still have to keep contact to a minimum till the next test
I'm sorry I understand it was against protocol, but that just shows up the protocol for what it is, complete and utter bollocks and complete lip service to safety, etc. Either the players are safe to train/play as everybody has insisted is the case here in Germany, or it isn't. Has that not been the whole discussion, that in Germany the procedures are so tight everythings perfect and no coronavirus is going to get spread between players? Am I missing something, I haven't read that document obviously but it seems like a bollocks ruling.

Redcy

In which case its still bollocks, I thought the point was that they wouldn't come into contact... This makes me even less convinced that the DFL have this thing controlled and that outbreaks at a game will end up causing dozens of infections.

Greck

In which case its still bollocks, I thought the point was that they wouldn't come into contact... This makes me even less convinced that the DFL have this thing controlled and that outbreaks at a game will end up causing dozens of infections.
It's possible it gets scrapped but they are going to give it a shot and imo it's worth it especially as a trial to see if next season can be restarted if we don't see a treatment or vaccine before then

Redcy

It's possible but they are going to give it a shot and imo it's worth it especially as a trial to see if next season can be restarted if we don't see a treatment or vaccine before then
I have no problem at all with that, tbh, thats not the issue I am discussing here. The issue is that there is no need to have the "no hand shake" rule, either they are safe to train and play together or they are not. If they are not and they still want to play thats fine, then play, but having a rule of no handshake, then having a two hour training session or game, is just plain odd. To me it makes little sense.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
People's argument against Kalou's ban is like saying 'Well he didn't injure the player, so why did he get banned for a two footed challenge?'.

Kalou broke the rules, that's why he is banned.

There is absolutely no connection between Kalou's ban and the contact that goes on in football since one is breaking a set of rules in place to lessen the risk of a virus being spread while the other is a necessary part of the game, for which the risk is being lowered by those damn protocols so that it can be played safely! It's a nonsensical argument simply being made because those people have an agenda to not see football back anywhere, so that the authorities in England don't get an ideas to try and start it there themselves and Liverpool are confirmed champions. Eventhough what happens in the BL should have nothing to do with the EPL.

Last edited:

Sad Chris

Everyone will be tested the day before the game and results will be known then. So there is no, or rather very little, chance of anyone having the virus playing and therefore spreading it during play.

I hope that answers your question.
Not bashing the BL restart but no or very little chance of having the virus is quite optimistic based upon the reliability of the tests. Do you know details about the tests to be used by the BL?

Slysi17

To those people who are bashing the DFL for restarting the Bundesliga, the German government approved it. I am sure the German government also read their document about restarting and I imagine the scientist who is advising the government said it was safe. It's not like the Bundesliga is restarting just because the DFL want it to. You guys or me are not scientists.

90 + 5min

The fact that everyone is now talking about Salomon Kalou shaking someone’s hand says it all. Like you’ve both said more contact will go on in games, it is a physical impossibility for it not to so that’s obviously not the sole reason for his suspension.

He’s now drawn unnecessary negative attention to the situation. They were doing testing, They’re already under intense scrutiny. I imagine lots of players at that stage hadn’t been tested and he’s there dicking about. Just behave for an hour, keep yourself to yourself. It’s not really a surprise, footballers have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot all the time.
We’ve seen players do dumb stuff all the time, in isolation some of it not actually particularly “offensive” but they’ve still been punished because it’s ill timed and thoughtless. Kalou is guilty of this.

Outside of Germany , people are still not allowed to see their families and get close to people, meanwhile here’s this footballer lucky enough to be getting tested and work and he’s goofing about on social media. Its a PR disaster. To be honest If footballers start doing shit like this I think you’d have fair grounds to start shutting the whole thing down.
I get it all. And finally you write without having a go at me with no reason at all. I ask you again, don’t you think it is strange giving bans to someone who is shaking hand and ofcourse breaking rules but but at same time accepting play? We know that it will be no social distancing on pitch.

But he was negative, and all of his teammates too. What wrong did he do?

Of course, in different circumstances it would have been wrong. But surely not in these. I mean, he just trained for over an hour with some of these guys, tackling, breathing heavily, spitting, sweating and all. And in ten days or so, they will be playing football, with exactly the same procedure, starting to play AFTER negative test. He shaked hands AFTER negative test.

So for sure, either both types of behaviour are dangerous, or neither is.

But no, they will picture Kalous as careless idiot for not following rules, while at the same time they are pictured as people generally concerned both with wellbeing of football and players. And they will be endangering Kalou and the likes of Kalou far more than he did endanger himself and his teammates.

And why is negative attention problem? Are they hiding something, or are they afraid that someone is going to prove them wrong if there is too much attention to what is going on? Surely Kalou isn't the only one doing this, he is the only one recording it.
Agree to 100% bosanac.

I‘m surprised people think he got suspended for shaking hands.
So what did he get suspended for? Just read the statement. Yes, it is for breaking rules about social distancing but at same time they DFL are accepting that by allowing teams to play.

Breaking protocol/medical advice I guess. Even players that test negative still have to follow it. Asides the need for strict adherence to protocol one could easily have contracted it since the time of their test samples being taken. This is easily how players are going to spread it unknowingly. Thirdly and probably the most honest reason is it was just really really really stupid of him to do it on social media. Showing leniency would then look like they don't take it seriously. I'm guessing no one in the club would have taken action otherwise. Even generally authorities are ready to overlook minor misdemeanours till some moron forces their hand by doing it on social media
Stupidity or not. We can agree that it wasn’t exactly his brightest moment but it makes situation bizzare when League tells you play but suspends a player that is not doing anything worse that what will happen on pitch. I wrote couple of pages ago, how will they react if they see hugging, giving high fives and shaking hands?

Thank you. What I was looking after. I’ll read it later.

People's argument against Kalou's ban is like saying 'Well he didn't injure the player, so why did he get banned for a two footed challenge?'.

There is absolutely no connection between Kalou's ban and the contact that goes on in football since one is breaking a set of rules in place to lessen the risk of a virus being spread while the other is a necessary part of the game, for which the risk is being lowered by those damn protocols so that it can be played safely! It's a nonsensical argument simply being made because those people have an agenda to not see football back anywhere, so that the authorities in England don't get an ideas to try and start it there themselves and Liverpool are confirmed champions. Eventhough what happens in the BL should have nothing to do with the EPL.
No problem with that. You break rules, you get punnishment. But you must think it is little wierd that he got suspended but at same time they allow games.

I’ ve always said. Nothing to do with Liverpool. Give them title. No problem.

Kicker reported that the DFL told all 36 professional clubs in Germany not to share test results with the press:

https://www.kicker.de/774935/artikel
If true it surly means that clubs could lie just to keep going. At least they would be transparent about not even be transparent. I realy hope that it is not correct.

Sad Chris

To those people who are bashing the DFL for restarting the Bundesliga, the German government approved it. I am sure the German government also read their document about restarting and I imagine the scientist who is advising the government said it was safe. It's not like the Bundesliga is restarting just because the DFL want it to. You guys or me are not scientists.
I‘m sure many of us have degrees, also scientific, and are fairly smart in real life. But I get that it‘s hard to believe reading some of the shit we frequently post and argue about here.

Redcy

Complete Straw man argument, people are not arguing against Kalou's ban here, we are also not saying this has anything directly to do with the PL. However plenty of us beforehand didn't understand the rules we were told about, now it makes less sense.

Everyone will be tested the day before the game and results will be known then. So there is no, or rather very little, chance of anyone having the virus playing and therefore spreading it during play.
So why are they worried about handshakes? Is it a protocol for its own sake, it seems like a nonsense rule put in to make it look good, that does next to nothing for safety. If the testing means that the chances of a player have covid are low then they don't need to worry about hand or contact whilst playing OR they know that it can be passed on, and chances are more players do get infected. It seems to me that the BL is being very liberal with the truth here either to the clubs, the players or everyone else. The fact that they have since told the clubs not to release any details of infections should in all honesty mean it gets stopped by the government if true.

To be clear I believe we could restart it given proper testing, and as long as the players are happy that they understand what the risks are. however that has to include complete openness about infection rates, etc. Surely anyone can see that???

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I‘m sure many of us have degrees, also scientific, and are fairly smart in real life. But I get that it‘s hard to believe reading some of the shit we frequently post and argue about here.
:lol: True.

Yes the German government approved start of season again, part of me thinks we should just get on with our lives so may as well have football back as well. Other part thinks it's just about the money, lot of German clubs go to the wall if they don't play, simple as that. Government don't want to have to add football to the list of bailouts...

Main point is, we shouldn't be looking at sars-cov-2 as a temporary phenomenon. It'll almost certainly entrench itself as part of the normal seasonal virus stock along with the usual cold and flu viruses.

So football needs to plan on that basis, in fact even if we cancel season now, almost certainly going to be a second peak from late September. Clubs need to find a way to play through it even if they have to do it abroad.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Imagine if you are a Centre Back and the opposing striker starts sneezing nonstop. You don't have to be Phil Jones to make defensive mistakes when that happens.

Member 101269

It’s all about the money. Not hiding that fact anymore.
GMB a guy from the German League said football isn’t just about money there is an emotional aspect for fans.

First thing came to mind was United last European game. Largely soulless..

Redcy

Again for clarity I think they could still play even if there were infections. I am quite a pro risk person, having done many risky things. However I have always had a good understanding of that risk I am taking, the players are going to have zero clue how risky what they are doing is, that has to be terribly wrong.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Not bashing the BL restart but no or very little chance of having the virus is quite optimistic based upon the reliability of the tests. Do you know details about the tests to be used by the BL?
There will be false negatives - of course. The way it is implemented, there will be a reliability of less than 99%. My guess is it will be even lower. But there will be false positives as well!

Redcy

There will be false negatives - of course. The way it is implemented, there will be a reliability of less than 99%. My guess is it will be even lower. But there will be false positives as well!
Reliability for the best available test I could find (using rapid pcr testing) was around 90%

Slysi17

Well that is true but the way people are commenting, it's like the DFL made their own decision without consulting the government. However the government were consulted and obviously wouldn't it ok it if it was at all unsafe. Also to those people that say it's too risky, soon enough we have to live our lives by going to work etc with this virus. I say to those people stay home and don't go to work to earn money to support yourself then.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
There is no satisfactory want to proceed but can't help thinking the outcome in inevitable at this point.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bundasliga will have mad TV viewings when it starts, everyone craving a football fix is going to tune in :lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It’s all about the money. Not hiding that fact anymore.
Don't agree with hiding the results, there should be transperancy.

Ofcourse it's about the money! It's about the money for every industry out there. Again, everything in Germany is opening, including restaurants, from the 18th of May so why should football be left out?

You have to remember that these clubs aren't owned by billionaire owners but rather publically owned companies so, just like other companies in Germany, need to get back in business to continue running.

There is no solution that will be 100% efficient, just like for the other industries, but the best solution has to be worked out and currently I'm satisfied with what the DFL have proposed.

If this doesn't go the way the DFL have planned I'm 100% sure they will cancel it immediately, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. As someone also said, this virus is going to stay with us atleast until a vaccine is created, which won't be until next year so industries need to be proactive in coming up with solutions rather than sitting back and seeing football clubs collapse with the cost of running without income.

Rooney24

Aston Villa also against neutral venues says their Chief Exec.

There is absolutely no incentive for the Bottom 6 to agree to this. They can only increase their Chance of being relegated.

Throw in one of Leicester and Chelsea (who can also only lose) and the neutral stadium thing is dead in the water.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Bundasliga will have mad TV viewings when it starts, everyone craving a football fix is going to tune in :lol:
Definitely will be watching some games (Gladbach most likely), but no attendance is still quite an eerie feeling for me. I remember watching Juve-Inter right before the outbreak and while it was a clash of the highest order in Italy, I couldn't really get into the match because it looked like a glorified friendly so much. Will still be weird, but good to have football back yeah.

Redcy

Don't agree with hiding the results, there should be transperancy.

If it doesn't go the way the DFL have planned I'm 100% sure they will cancel it immediately, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't try. As someone also said, this virus is going to stay with us atleast until a vaccine is created, which won't be until next year so industries need to be proactive in coming up with solutions rather than sitting back and seeing football clubs collapse with the cost of running without income.
Why do you think they would cancel it? It's clear they have no intention of stopping it, and are trying to ensure noone else stops it by obfuscating results. Frankly that ought to be a no go from the german government.