Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
So your now telling him to just abandon his wife and son at a time when they likely need him the most for the purpose of our entertainment?

He's already said he doesnt care about the money. He's prepared for the financial hit to keep his family safe.

There should be no one moaning about it.
No I'm not telling him that. I actually like Deeney and if that's his decision then I respect him for it. I just think he's got it completely wrong here and only going to add to the narrative of millionaire football players not going back to work, even though the rest of the country does.

The purpose of finishing the season isn't just for our entertainment, lets face it, it's not going to be particularly entertaining behind closed doors, its more to do with the financial implications of not finishing it. Personally i'd be happy to end it now either based on the current table or a points per game basis.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Well obviously it does. Kante is in a worse predicament as he is directly vulnerable to the virus.

Yes, If Deeney decides that he isn't prepared to take a risk then that's his decision. He should make his club aware of it and allow them to deal with it.
There is no need for him to do breakfast television interviews with Piers Morgan whipping up the frenzy about football players resuming the job they get paid to do.
‘Whipping up a frenzy’ is the way you are choosing to frame Deeney raising legitimate concerns so you clearly have an agenda here. Kante making a decision and staying silent is fine, but giving an interview where the club captain explains his position is ‘whipping up a frenzy’. Why should Deeney not give an interview to the media?

Dannic

Supports
Liverpool
To me, if a footballer is concerned that returning puts themselves and/ or their family at risk they should feel free to avoid that risk. Even if Troy Deeney's child had no health complications, it's absolutely fine for him to say that he doesn't want to return as he finds the levels of risk unacceptable. It takes a lot of guts to resist the pressure that can come of this (we need you to get CL/ EL/ avoid relegation!) and so I think it should be admired. I also think it's especially important for those in positions of power (e.g. the club captain) to speak on these issues as there may be more junior members of the team that aren't as confident in their position to feel like they can speak up.

arnie_ni

To me, if a footballer is concerned that returning puts themselves and/ or their family at risk they should feel free to avoid that risk. Even if Troy Deeney's child had no health complications, it's absolutely fine for him to say that he doesn't want to return as he finds the levels of risk unacceptable. It takes a lot of guts to resist the pressure that can come of this (we need you to get CL/ EL/ avoid relegation!) and so I think it should be admired. I also think it's especially important for those in positions of power (e.g. the club captain) to speak on these issues as there may be more junior members of the team that aren't as confident in their position to feel like they can speak up.
Perfect response.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Show me where I've mentioned his comments about the PL restarting. This is about him & his concerns relating to his child, & the fact that the risk of children dying from covid-19 are incredibly small.

You're pathetic. You really are.
You've got the gall to come here and call United members of this forum names when you've been cornered for saying shameful words about Deeney !!
You should apologise for your shameful post.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
If Liverpool are given the title or not I don't think anyone can take away how dominant they've been this season. They've been the best team in the league and I recognise them as such. All hyperbole and silliness aside I genuinely have no hard feelings towards most of the Liverpool supporters posting here and where I genuinely think perspective has been lacking it has usually been within understandable limits. However:

There is a intrusive, stigmatising undercurrent to your posts that is unpleasant. I'm hoping that you've simply lost your mind in a weird football nerd tantrum, and you're not actually like this in real life.
I agree - his latest posts were despicable.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
‘Whipping up a frenzy’ is the way you are choosing to frame Deeney raising legitimate concerns so you clearly have an agenda here. Kante making a decision and staying silent is fine, but giving an interview where the club captain explains his position is ‘whipping up a frenzy’. Why should Deeney not give an interview to the media?
Its not me with the agenda! If you search for the interview on Youtube its titled 'Troy Deeney worries footballers will be blamed for wasting covid 19 tests!

My original view was that the season should be played out later this year, so long as it is safe to do so. It then became clear that this wouldn't be an option and that the two options are finish behind closed doors in June and July or finish without playing and either use the current table or some form of points per game. Of those two options my preference would actually be the latter. Sure Liverpool will get the *title, but all season opposition fans have been trying to invent a reason for the #tainted title because of VAR or its only because its a weak year etc

Why should Deeney not give an interview to the media?
Because there's no need to! If he doesn't want to play, fine he can stay at home with his family indefinitely. He's in a fortunate position where even as a dad of a new baby he can afford to take as much time off as he needs. Ask yourself this, Would he have been doing that interview if he was happy to restart? No chance. Interestingly they didn't have another player who was happy to restart to provide some balance to the interview either.

Why can't he voice his concerns and opinion publicly though? Should everyone just be quiet and get on with it so you can win your title?

It all seems a little bit self obsessed from where I'm sat. People have a right to speak up in any place of work if they feel they are being placed at risk unnecessarily. In fact the government are encouraging people to speak out if this is the case.
See above.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well obviously it does. Kante is in a worse predicament as he is directly vulnerable to the virus.

Yes, If Deeney decides that he isn't prepared to take a risk then that's his decision. He should make his club aware of it and allow them to deal with it.
There is no need for him to do breakfast television interviews with Piers Morgan whipping up the frenzy about football players resuming the job they get paid to do.
Why can't he voice his concerns and opinion publicly though? Should everyone just be quiet and get on with it so you can win your title?

It all seems a little bit self obsessed from where I'm sat. People have a right to speak up in any place of work if they feel they are being placed at risk unnecessarily. In fact the government are encouraging people to speak out if this is the case.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Why is it always the first course of dismissal to say something is an "agenda".
Not just you, but it's seen so often on here.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Main difference is Germany have the virus under control outside of football, meanwhile percentage-wise we have the most deaths in the world.
I'm by no means defending our handling of the crisis but that's not true. Spain, Italy and Belgium all ahead of us in terms of deaths per million.

C'est Moi Cantona

Why is this such a big deal? Troy will just have to sit it out
It's not a big deal at all, plenty of players will no doubt not fancy it. but so many more will be desperate to get back, and we need to respect that view just as much.

Just let the players decide with no repercussions, way too much focus on the minority view as always.

stevoc

Why should Deeney not give an interview to the media?
Because there's no need to! If he doesn't want to play, fine he can stay at home with his family indefinitely. He's in a fortunate position where even as a dad of a new baby he can afford to take as much time off as he needs. Ask yourself this, Would he have been doing that interview if he was happy to restart? No chance. Interestingly they didn't have another player who was happy to restart to provide some balance to the interview either.
In your opinion you mean?

He said the PL officials couldn't or wouldn't answer some of his questions and give him the reassurance he feels he needs to return to training/playing. I doubt he's the only player who has similar concerns so it's a good thing that he's speaking up about the situation as raising awareness and shining a light on the situation in the public eye might lead to more clarity from the PL.

Why should he stay silent?

LVGSdive

Now there's 2 more Watford player's self isolating. I wonder if the Premier league has anything in place for clubs that have multiple players quarantined or if this was just hit and hope.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
There was always going to be some resistance to a restart by some players. The main thing I don't like about Deeny is the way he is going about getting his point across.

Chelsea and Kante are handling this well. Kante is understandly very worried abut this virus as he has a pre existing heart condition and his brother died of a heart attack. He has chosen not to resume training, and to potentially miss the remainder of the season due to concerns about contracting the virus and that is completely fine and he has been supported by his club. Fine. That should be the end of it. Deeney should do the same.

Also if Deeney's main concern is about catching the virus and passing it on to his baby, he could potentially self isolate away from the baby for the period that he's playing football and for 2 weeks afterwards? If we are never able to find a cure or vaccine will Deeney retire?
Enough of this shit now, please. You look ridiculous.

Tibs

Now there's 2 more Watford player's self isolating. I wonder if the Premier league has anything in place for clubs that have multiple players quarantined or if this was just hit and hope.
Points deduction for the club, and an extra 3 points to Liverpool

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why is this such a big deal? Troy will just have to sit it out
He also won’t be the only one and isnt even the only one who didn't return to training at his club.
Don’t see what the big deal is either myself

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I don’t have one I’m afraid, I heard it verbally from an ITK
An ITK? I'm not calling into doubt what you say but it's like saying a football club is preparing to sign a player and they think he might cost more than the last one they signed. Of course the government is preparing and planning for a second wave, and of course it could be worse than the first. That much is obvious.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
In your opinion you mean?

He said the PL officials couldn't or wouldn't answer some of his questions and give him the reassurance he feels he needs to return to training/playing. I doubt he's the only player who has similar concerns so it's a good thing that he's speaking up about the situation as raising awareness and shining a light on the situation in the public eye might lead to more clarity from the PL.

Why should he stay silent?
You're missing the point. If the Premier League officials couldn't or wouldn't answer some of his questions, why not take it up with them, or through the club rather than helping Piers Morgan pedal this narrative that Premier League football players are taking testing off key workers? I'm not asking him to stay silent, I just think it's wrong the way that he is going about it. Nobody is forcing him back to training or to carry on playing.

Enough of this shit now, please. You look ridiculous.
why? for having a different opinion to you?

Tarrou

Any chance that people could confine this to the UK and stop the scare mongering which is no doubt very scary for anyone without medical training to fully understand. I am a Liverpool supporter but whatever happens in football, I believe, will be done with a full comprehensive factual risk assessment involving Sage. The last thing the German federation or ours want is a serious illness to any top player. This country has some of the very best world renowned medical professionals including virologists, epidemiologists and scientific advisers and make no mistake the UK will most likely find a vaccine first if one is to be found.
It is on this basis that I do not believe football at the highest level will be allowed to return unless it is as safe as it can be made and that the associated risks to the participants are extremely low and justifiable all things considered. If i were a footballer, who presented with the facts pertaining to this country was still concerned about bringing home a virus i might consider isolating myself at accommodation provided by my employer from commencement of contact training until season closure. I would feel that I probably shouldnt be in this position but I would do it nonetheless. That would then remove the whole at risk family group being muted and i am sure the premier league must have at least taken advice on this.
To attempt to alley the fears of anyone reading this who may have children or teens in their households and be worried these are some simple UK wide facts. Please avoid stories coming out of certain other countries until these are scientifically ratified by WHO for example. The Swiss for example believe that children under 10 years cannot even contract covid 19 as until they are at least that age they simply do not possess enough of the receptors required for the virus to latch on to. They may have a viral load in their upper respiratory tract and test positive but are not getting very ill. The Germans next door believe this is probably true but like us want to wait until these findings are scientifically proven. Children are usually very good transmitters of infection but that may also not be the case with covid-19
1. The UK has had 3 deaths in the under 15 age group thus far after testing positive for Sars-cov19. This represents 0.01% of total deaths.
2. The UK has had 448 deaths in the 15-44 age group thus far after testing positive for Sars-cov19. This represents 1% of total deaths.
Please note that these figures do not include comorbidity which means having more than one disorder and most young deaths i believe do include at least one.
Although overall risk is very small in the under 40 age group a greater incidence of more severe illness in the Black, asian minority ethnic group is evident. Even when all other risks are removed the risk remains double those of the white population
Football isnt close to returning at this time and any start is still likely 4-6 weeks away and a lot will change in that time no doubt. One thing is certain though. Even if the likes of Oxford get very lucky a vaccine is going to be 18 months away at best. One may never be found by which time most clubs below the top 10-15 will be dead if we follow the NO risk approach. Football will have no fans for at least this season and next and we need to find ways of supporting the lower leagues whilst we wait and getting the country and not just the premier league to a position of living with this virus as best we can.
I for one believe that we cannot carry on as we are and watch the country slowly die economically and the human misery that has already started and resulting deaths that will follow.
If LFC win the title, great. If someone decides otherwise, so be it. Whatever happens, footballs pyramid surviving until a vaccine or effective treatment is found is the most important consideration.
Is this the biggest wall of text in the history of mankind? Possibly

alexthelion

Few things I thinking right now.

If we cant finish this season, there should be no next season. Double standards and all. It is a bit silly to say its too dangerous to play 9 games but it's ok to play 38.

This is what I think will happen.

This season will be attempted to be finished.
Regardless if it succeeds, we wont have a normal next season, there either wont be one or will be a reduced season, each team playing each other once at neutral venues.
European competition wont be a thing. Makes the arguments over CL a bit silly, but clubs have to act as if it will happen, as however small a chance, there is a chance. If there is no next season however then this season qualification might be used for the season after.
Cup competitions might be the only schedule if there is no league and the chosen way forward for next season. However I don't think there will be cups and a league, it will be one or the other.
Alternatively, don'y finish this season but put all planning into next season to ensure any disruption is minimised.

Better to have only one season disrupted than two.

alexthelion

I don't like this stance of people acting like they have authority to claim irrationality due to mental health problems in the past or that they have any right to speak about someone who has anxiety and how they deal with it or what they feel like living with it. Anxiety, along with every mental health problem is something that is very personal and individual to you. Just because you know someone who has anxiety it does not mean that another person with it will be feeling the same things as them or it be due to the same things that they have or developed their anxiety. People with anxiety are also capable of feeling anxious, nervous or worried about a situation like any other human being is without it being linked to their anxiety. Being protective and trying to ensure the best possible safety for a child that has breathing difficulties and could be impacted by Covid-19 if they managed to catch it is completely rational and something any parent I imagine would try to avoid. The players seemingly have this option to choose not to go into training if they do not wish to due to coronavirus. They've been given this option. It is not fair to moan about Deeney, moan about his employers for giving them that option or your own employers for not giving you that option to not go in. Unfortunately there is going to be huge disparities with working class, middle class and the upper class in the privileges that each has to not go into work or go into work and that is an issue in itself but that isn't Deeney who is at fault for that, it is the people at the top who have said "go to work".

Deeney isn't the pinnacle of human morality (If I remember correctly he cheated on his wife) but in this scenario he isn't doing anything wrong. He's trying to protect his family and he's entitled to do that without 'anxiety' even being discussed.
Well said.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Was talking about the whole thread really.
I have a newborn and I'd be worried too in all honesty. So yes, I agree that Deeney's worries are perfectly understandable.
But if I was being paid to do a job and refused to do so because I have a newborn, despite all safety measures being adopted by my employer, I'd be fired, and whose fault would it be? They are not open for charity.
That's the cold hard reality for most people out there.
That leads to the question, what makes Troy Deeney so special that he can sit safely at home making millions while most people have to face the risks and their fears to bring food back home?
He wants to be safe, everyone does, everyone is worried about a family member in the risk group, but imagine if everyone downed tools because of that.
Using your position of power to ensure you're safe at the expense of your obligations, while the common folk are exposed, is the stuff politicians are crucified for.
Really? Sounds like you have a shit employer.

My employers has already told everyone that even when we start going back to work in the second half of the year nobody will be forced to until they feel ready.

PoTMS

Kante potentially out for the season (should the Premier League return) would be a big blow for Chelsea and could be the difference between Champions League and Europa League.

tenpoless

Interestingly they didn't have another player who was happy to restart to provide some balance to the interview either.
:lol: "There was an interview about a guy who really likes Coca-Cola but the fact that They didn't interview another guy who likes Pepsi to balance things out is beyond me"
Gib Liverpool title pls

Sad Chris

I totally understand your point and what you feel about.

However as some posters has pointed out above. It's all about what choices available to you I think. Life isn't always fair you know. The blue collar workers you mentioned can very well refuse to work and stay home. They just can't. Like most of us.

Regarding the case of Deeney, him staying home making millions or not is not the matter here imo. God happened to smile upon him with football talent, and he had worked his ass out to become a professional player. He happens to be able to afford the choice to refuse to work, stay home and still can take care of his family while us common folks don't. Not his or anyone's fault. It's just simple as that I think.
Good post, I agree.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
the Goverment, industry body and Deeney’s club have decided EPL should go back to work. And from what I read, playing football will be one of the safest workplaces in the country. Of course there is risk, as there is for every body returning to work. It is what it is.

So Deeney has an obligation to his employer and fulfilling his contract. I have a lot of sympathy for him; surely the compromise is that he stay in isolation from his child and family during the period he feels vulnerable? Plenty of NHS and key workers have done the same during this crisis. And with the regular testing, he can always visit his home for a day or so in between games.

Sure it’s not ideal with a new born, but we are not living in an ideal moment right now. Pretty much every person in Western Europe will have to make sacrifices, compromises and adjustments.

Personally I think football should be voided til a vaccine is found. It’s only entertainment and far from being an essential service. Ditto EPL standard football under covid19 biosecure conditions is a mockery for what the game at this level should be.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Kante potentially out for the season (should the Premier League return) would be a big blow for Chelsea and could be the difference between Champions League and Europa League.
This season is already void in my eyes. Massive break, behind closed doors, players not training properly, players too scared to turn up for training.

They'll finish up the remaining fixtures because money rules but this season will always be seen as an abomination.

Le Red

Really? Sounds like you have a shit employer.

My employers has already told everyone that even when we start going back to work in the second half of the year nobody will be forced to until they feel ready.
I don't know about the economic health of your company but I assure you where I live most small and medium businesses just break after being inactive for too much time.
In fact, a lot of them already did, lots of people are now unemployed and desperate, and no amount of the so called public money can solve this shitshow.
The world is not a save game file that you can leave for months and restart from where you stopped.

fps

Some of the posts about footballers owing their employers are ridiculous, especially Deeney but I’ll make a wider point.

The social contract of working in a fair way for a fair wage went by the wayside years ago. We all know the drill now, we get paid and our employer tries to squeeze every last drop out of us for that wage. I don’t see why there should be any love for the organisation a person works for under the circumstances we increasingly find ourselves in work wise, it is a productivity rat race that damages our health and wider lives. To reiterate, I don’t see why anyone, paid millions or not, should feel a sentimental loyalty to going back unless strictly necessary in the work circumstances that have now been manufactured in this country.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
This season is already void in my eyes. Massive break, behind closed doors, players not training properly, players too scared to turn up for training.

They'll finish up the remaining fixtures because money rules but this season will always be seen as an abomination.
Any season in which that bunch of shite finish on top is an abomination to me. Luckily I had a nice 30 year gap between this one and the last and saw my own team win about 30 trophies.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Yeah, I agree with this. I feel I've already checked out from this season, seeing pics of the Utd players returning to training didn't get me excited at all. I guess I'll watch Utd games when they're on, because... it's Utd, but it'll feel like watching pre-season games for me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If you think the scousers are pushing for bcd because they really care about economies and business.... yeah right.

They'd be the one pushing for safety once they got that 2 game.

Feck em. If there's a silver lining in voiding the league it's them not winning.

Had it with them, always tried to be objective and reasonable but they're not helping eh

christinaa

Gossip Girl
If you think the scousers are pushing for bcd because they really care about economies and business.... yeah right.

They'd be the one pushing for safety once they got that 2 game.

Feck em. If there's a silver lining in voiding the league it's them not winning.

Had it with them, always tried to be objective and reasonable but they're not helping eh
Yep and that's their 'agenda' ! :D

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There was always going to be some resistance to a restart by some players. The main thing I don't like about Deeny is the way he is going about getting his point across.

Chelsea and Kante are handling this well. Kante is understandly very worried abut this virus as he has a pre existing heart condition and his brother died of a heart attack. He has chosen not to resume training, and to potentially miss the remainder of the season due to concerns about contracting the virus and that is completely fine and he has been supported by his club. Fine. That should be the end of it. Deeney should do the same.

Also if Deeney's main concern is about catching the virus and passing it on to his baby, he could potentially self isolate away from the baby for the period that he's playing football and for 2 weeks afterwards? If we are never able to find a cure or vaccine will Deeney retire?
You’re seriously saying the man should care more about playing football than seeing his child? fecking hell.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Someone said it in a previous post, but this stance of "Deeney should just shut up" completely ignores the fact that as a senior player and club captain, him speaking up about it may encourage more junior players who share the same concerns but who may not otherwise speak up (because of the general pressure, because they don't want to make waves, whatever) to come forward and not join a re-start they're not totally comfortable with.

Liverpool supporters should also shut the feck up about this, the posts reek of ignorance.

Pagh Wraith

There are reports of allowing small crowds back into British stadia as early as October. It's speculation at this point and we will have to wait how infection numbers develop but in Germany some state PMs have also said they are planning to let crowds back in on Sep 1. This is of course of massive importance for particularly the lower league clubs who rely on gate money. Realistically we would probably have to cap it at 25% capacity to ensure social distancing.

hp88

There are reports of allowing small crowds back into British stadia as early as October. It's speculation at this point and we will have to wait how infection numbers develop but in Germany some state PMs have also said they are planning to let crowds back in on Sep 1. This is of course of massive importance for particularly the lower league clubs who rely on gate money. Realistically we would probably have to cap it at 25% capacity to ensure social distancing.
I heard that all sports will be behind closed doors until November but I there's a chance they will just keep adding a month onto that depending on situation.

I still can't see any of us getting inside the ground until the start of next year but I reckon that will be at full capacity, basically need a solid year of fighting this thing to ensure it doesn't feck up 2021.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I heard that all sports will be behind closed doors until November but I there's a chance they will just keep adding a month onto that depending on situation.

I still can't see any of us getting inside the ground until the start of next year but I reckon that will be at full capacity, basically need a solid year of fighting this thing to ensure it doesn't feck up 2021.
I used to think the same, but things have opened up so rapidly in Germany (often it feels like if it wasn't for compulsory face masks indoors the virus might as well not be a thing) that I wouldn't rule anything out. Well perhaps a full standing area.