Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

90 + 5min

No I'm not telling him that. I actually like Deeney and if that's his decision then I respect him for it. I just think he's got it completely wrong here and only going to add to the narrative of millionaire football players not going back to work, even though the rest of the country does.

The purpose of finishing the season isn't just for our entertainment, lets face it, it's not going to be particularly entertaining behind closed doors, its more to do with the financial implications of not finishing it. Personally i'd be happy to end it now either based on the current table or a points per game basis.
I respect your opinion but I would like to ask you one thing. Would you still be for playing those 38 games no matter what if Liverpool won the title and there were 7-8 games left? Just so you know, I'm for stopping this season for lot of other reasons then just health (even if that is the most important of course). It is about contracts, sponsors, cups, european games and so on. This is now just a mess. And I am also for giving you title and than try to fix the rest in some way.

fck

Supports
Bayern
If you think the scousers are pushing for bcd because they really care about economies and business.... yeah right.

They'd be the one pushing for safety once they got that 2 game.

Feck em. If there's a silver lining in voiding the league it's them not winning.

Had it with them, always tried to be objective and reasonable but they're not helping eh
Of course you are right but the same can be said about some United fans who are hiding behind this Mother teresa schtick acting all super concerned and wanting the league to be voided. Nothing wrong with any of it but I mean let's be honest here.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
You’re seriously saying the man should care more about playing football than seeing his child? fecking hell.
I've never said anything like that?

I respect your opinion but I would like to ask you one thing. Would you still be for playing those 38 games no matter what if Liverpool won the title and there were 7-8 games left? Just so you know, I'm for stopping this season for lot of other reasons then just health (even if that is the most important of course). It is about contracts, sponsors, cups, european games and so on. This is now just a mess. And I am also for giving you title and than try to fix the rest in some way.
Since it became a two horse race between finish behind closed doors or finish with the current table or ppg, my preference has been the second option. Mainly for safety reasons and because it means playing out a huge number of games that are essentially dead rubbers, as always happens at the end of a league season. Burnley are due to play Crystal Palace, neither of those teams are going down or in to Europe, so it's a completely unnecessary risk to play that fixture.

Liverpool have been asked about the possibility of them playing the kids once the title is wrapped up, and indicated that they will continue to play a full team, even when the league title is secured.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

People have to separate risk to family from risk to themselves. If footballers are away from family for 5-6 weeks are tested all the time and then quarantine for 2 weeks then what is the risk to family? Minimal to almost none. Troy Deeney and others saying they wont risk their family is nonsense. They should either say I dont want to be away from family for weeks or I am scared of the risk to myself. They are completely different things and thats why I dont respect their stance.

Flying high

I expect this has been discussed before, but I haven't paid too much attention to the restart...

If they do restart, but are forced to stop again before all games are completed, what happens then? Are there rules in place to decide what will happen?

Pagh Wraith

I used to think the same, but things have opened up so rapidly in Germany (often it feels like if it wasn't for compulsory face masks indoors the virus might as well not be a thing) that I wouldn't rule anything out. Well perhaps a full standing area.
And as you say this, Thuringia is dropping compulsory masks and minimum distancing altogether. But full standing areas I can't really see either. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if we didn't see fans at the grounds again after 31 Aug when the ban on major events ends. If only for the reason that while most of us have more or less have come to terms with finishing the current season behind closed door, acceptance for starting the new season in the same fashion would be pretty low.

Probably because a Liverpool fan (that'll be you in this instance) is trying to convince people that Troy Deeney's concerns about restarting the league are invalid, going as far as to shamelessly drag up his mental health records as a means of discrediting him.

Is there no depth you lot will refuse to stoop in order to further your agenda?
it’s exactly what he’s doing.

he’s not even a child, but a man in his 50’s who should know better.

stooping to a new low with his posting about Deeney. Disgraceful, he should be banned. We don’t need to listen to people like him.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Interesting piece in The Athletic today suggesting that there could be more motivation to finish the FA Cup this season than first assumed.

Basically points out that the FA make more money than any other national football governing body in the world, a large part of this due to the competition. Furthermore, a lot of funding for grass-roots/lower league comes from the cup. So many clubs can be set for years due to a decent cup run.

As such, the FA are still very much hoping to finish the tournament, with midweek matches being an option.

link - https://theathletic.com/1831147/2020/05/23/fa-cup-project-restart/

Basically, don't expect all cups to bow to the might of the Premier League. Congestion could just see this season being pushed on and on.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Finishing the FA cup is much more important than finishing the premier league imo, Europa league too. :D

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
why? for having a different opinion to you?
Yes! When that difference of opinion is about whether or not it's appropriate to idly speculate about the mental health of another person, or the physical health of their family, or their parenting competence, all motivated by the selfish desire to get your football game back. When the difference of opinion includes me suggesting:

1. You should stop making pious judgements of another's actions under these extraordinary circumstances
I just think he's wrong
The main thing I don't like about Deeny is the way he is going about getting his point across.
2. You should stop snidely posing obtuse, bad faith questions:
If we are never able to find a cure or vaccine will Deeney retire?
3. You should stop making baseless accusations against people who have made decisions you disagree with:
whipping up the frenzy
helping Piers Morgan pedal this narrative
4. You should stop giving bizarre, patronising parenting advice to people you don't know personally and who's personal circumstances you are unfamiliar with:
Also if Deeney's main concern is about catching the virus and passing it on to his baby, he could potentially self isolate away from the baby for the period that he's playing football and for 2 weeks afterwards?
And why should you stop? Not because I say so but because by not doing so, you continues to make yourself look ridiculous. You sound utterly deranged and lacking in any basic compassion. You can disagree with and even dislike Deeney, but he still deserves to be afforded basic respect, dignity and a right to privacy.

It's a fecking game of football.

That's my opinion, and that is all it is.

90 + 5min

Interesting piece in The Athletic today suggesting that there could be more motivation to finish the FA Cup this season than first assumed.

Basically points out that the FA make more money than any other national football governing body in the world, a large part of this due to the competition. Furthermore, a lot of funding for grass-roots/lower league comes from the cup. So many clubs can be set for years due to a decent cup run.

As such, the FA are still very much hoping to finish the tournament, with midweek matches being an option.

link - https://theathletic.com/1831147/2020/05/23/fa-cup-project-restart/

Basically, don't expect all cups to bow to the might of the Premier League. Congestion could just see this season being pushed on and on.
Why would any club that are still in TheFA cup agree to play in the League but accepting termination of the FACup? If you can't finish other Cups then you can't finish the League. I would block anything that involves finishing PL but not other competitions. If I hade something to say in that matter.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Why would any club that are still in TheFA cup agree to play in the League but accepting termination of the FACup? If you can't finish other Cups then you can't finish the League. I would block anything that involves finishing PL but not other competitions. If I hade something to say in that matter.
The article suggest that the Premier League is more than happy to complete this season alongside the FA Cup. It may be the only way to convince Norwich to show up :lol:

It's the European comps that are under most threat given the cross-border travel required.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
yes you did.
You’re seriously saying the man should care more about playing football than seeing his child? fecking hell.
Have another read and explain which part of

"he could potentially self isolate away from the baby for the period that he's playing football and for 2 weeks afterwards? "

Is me suggesting that he should care more about playing football than seeing his child? If Watford went on an overseas pre season tour or he got called up for an England tournament he would have to spend some time away from them then?

As I've said all along, if he doesn't want to that's fine. It's not his decision I have a problem with.

90 + 5min

The article suggest that the Premier League is more than happy to complete this season alongside the FA Cup. It may be the only way to convince Norwich to show up :lol:

It's the European comps that are under most threat given the cross-border travel required.
Here goes the same. Teams that are still in those competitions should never let them be bullied to start PL without any plan of finishing those cups aswell.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Here goes the same. Teams that are still in those competitions should never let them be bullied to start PL without any plan of finishing those cups aswell.
Think it's a lot easier to do with all the teams left in it being PL team. Imagine having your league season ended early, only to have to keep going in the FA Cup.

United58

Apparently Ceballos was asked about things on RTVE (Spanish channel) and said:

'We are going to start a week late with regards to what is being talked about in Spain, which is June 12, and we are going to start the league on the 20th.'

So 20th June return in the pipeline

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Yes! When that difference of opinion is about whether or not it's appropriate to idly speculate about the mental health of another person, or the physical health of their family, or their parenting competence, all motivated by the selfish desire to get your football game back.

When the difference of opinion includes me suggesting:

1. You should stop making pious judgements of another's actions under these extraordinary circumstances

2. You should stop snidely posing obtuse, bad faith questions:

3. You should stop making baseless accusations against people who have made decisions you disagree with:

4. You should stop giving bizarre, patronising parenting advice to people you don't know personally and who's personal circumstances you are unfamiliar with:

And why should you stop? Not because I say so but because by not doing so, you continues to make yourself look ridiculous. You sound utterly deranged and lacking in any basic compassion. You can disagree with and even dislike Deeney, but he still deserves to be afforded basic respect, dignity and a right to privacy.

It's a fecking game of football.

That's my opinion, and that is all it is.
If you have read my posts you would see that for a while now I have been an advocate of Not restarting the season by playing behind closed doors.

So essentially what you are saying is that I should just shut up and not express my opinion of a reaction to an Interview that Troy Deeney has chosen to do?

I've said all along that I do actually like Deeney and accept his decision to not play if that's what he thinks is best for himself and his family.

Answer this question for me please?

Why was Deeney chosen to do that Interview opposed to any of the other 19 Premier League captains?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If you have read my posts you would see that for a while now I have been an advocate of Not restarting the season by playing behind closed doors.

So essentially what you are saying is that I should just shut up and not express my opinion of a reaction to an Interview that Troy Deeney has chosen to do?

I've said all along that I do actually like Deeney and accept his decision to not play if that's what he thinks is best for himself and his family.

Answer this question for me please?

Why was Deeney chosen to do that Interview opposed to any of the other 19 Premier League captains?
Other players have voiced their opinion about the re-start across various shows or podcasts. Lascelles was on BBC's daily footy podcast saying he had concerns as his wife was 36 week pregnant but overall he wanted to return (and he's back in training). Is he allowed to express himself? Do his views match yours enough to warrant him airtime?

Very good post @dumbo - not the first time this poster has gone on these weird tangents, good to call him out on his bullshit.

Judas

Open to offers
At this point obviously I fully expect the season to start up again, and if that is the case I bloody hope we can finish it without it costing people their lives and we can get to the end. If they go through all this for it to just end up needing to be halted again, that would be beyond frustrating.

stevoc

You're missing the point. If the Premier League officials couldn't or wouldn't answer some of his questions, why not take it up with them, or through the club rather than helping Piers Morgan pedal this narrative that Premier League football players are taking testing off key workers? I'm not asking him to stay silent, I just think it's wrong the way that he is going about it. Nobody is forcing him back to training or to carry on playing.
Eh he did and they wouldn't answer his questions, that was his problem. I don't see the harm in him speaking about it publicly.

Why do people have a problem with him speaking publicly, are some people afraid him speaking publicly will cause more players to decide not to train/play and put the return of the Premier League in jeopardy or something?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Other players have voiced their opinion about the re-start across various shows or podcasts. Lascelles was on BBC's daily footy podcast saying he had concerns as his wife was 36 week pregnant but overall he wanted to return (and he's back in training). Is he allowed to express himself? Do his views match yours enough to warrant him airtime?

Very good post @dumbo - not the first time this poster has gone on these weird tangents, good to call him out on his bullshit.
That's my point though in a way. Lascelles views won't get the same headlines or attention. I think i'm right in saying its the first time his view has even been mentioned in here?

My original point was essentially that Kante and Chelsea were handling this respectably and Deeney and Watford aren't, in my opinion.

If I'm not allowed to think/say that then ban me?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
That's my point though in a way. Lascelles views won't get the same headlines or attention. I think i'm right in saying its the first time his view has even been mentioned in here?

My original point was essentially that Kante and Chelsea were handling this respectably and Deeney and Watford aren't, in my opinion.

Now in your case that would be a really good suggestion.
Thanks for being so kind. :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Cracking suggestion at the end pal. :-)

arnie_ni

2 more. The 6 who tested positive in the last round of testing have not been included.
Not picking on you here, these are more general questions for anyone.

If they dont retest those that have it, how do they know when they dont have it?

Secondly that means 2 players that didn't have it last time have caught it since and the only thing changed in their life has been brought back to training, ergo, they got infected from training, no?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Have another read and explain which part of

"he could potentially self isolate away from the baby for the period that he's playing football and for 2 weeks afterwards? "

Is me suggesting that he should care more about playing football than seeing his child? If Watford went on an overseas pre season tour or he got called up for an England tournament he would have to spend some time away from them then?

As I've said all along, if he doesn't want to that's fine. It's not his decision I have a problem with.
If Liverpool were mid-table you would not have made a single comment about Deeney.

Nedu

Supports
Barcelona

If they dont retest those that have it, how do they know when they dont have it?

Secondly that means 2 players that didn't have it last time have caught it since and the only thing changed in their life has been brought back to training, ergo, they got infected from training, no?
Those that tested positive initially should ideally be tested again at the end of their isolation periods, otherwise you'd just be wasting the test kits.

For the two new infections, its possible that this was a result of an increase in the number of people that were tested. Chances that it would one of the newly tested.

It's not all doom and gloom.

HisEarth

Supports
Tottenham Hotspurs

It's possible they could have gotten it from training but I don't think it's the only logical conclusion or necessarily even the most likely one. Presumably these players (or staff?) do other activities that carry some risk of contracting the virus, and just because they didn't get it from those activities prior to starting training doesn't mean that they would never get it from those non-training activities.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
In order for this test to matter the whole squad and non playing staff and tv dudes and everyone should be in total isolation.

Testing them in the morning and sending them home in the evening is futile.

And unless you test them everytime they come from outside of the sealed perimeter you'd still have a major flaw in your isolation.

Self isolate for 7 days? What a joke. You will still be tested positives in 7 days. You might not die so there's that but if you're positives today chances are you will still be positivies 7 days from now.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Two more people from two Premier League clubs have tested positive for coronavirus after the second batch of testing.
So far, eight positive tests have been returned.
"Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.
"The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency.
"No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the League and results will be made public after each round of testing."
Watford's Adrian Mariappa and two members of the club's non-playing staff as well as Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan were among six positive tests for coronavirus in the first round of Premier League testing.
Those six were not included in the latest figures as they are still within their seven-day isolation period.
Watford have several players, including captain Troy Deeney, staying away from training due to ongoing safety concerns.
Meanwhile, Chelsea midfielder N'Golo Kante is prepared to miss the rest of the Premier League season, if it resumes, amid fears over returning to Chelsea training due to the pandemic.
The fact there are any positive tests must be taken seriously and those two individuals must self-isolate for seven days before they take a further COVID-19 test.
They cannot attend the training ground and their clubs will want to establish what contact those individuals had with other people, in particular in the same household.
In theory they should have not have come into close contact with anyone outside their household since March, under the government's social distancing rules.

arnie_ni

Those that tested positive initially should ideally be tested again at the end of their isolation periods, otherwise you'd just be wasting the test kits.

For the two new infections, its possible that this was a result of an increase in the number of people that were tested. Chances that it would one of the newly tested.

It's not all doom and gloom.
But theyve isolated for 7 days already have they not?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
But theyve isolated for 7 days already have they not?
I don't think they have yet. If Prenetics have the capacity to do two batches of tests per week, with a 48 hour turnaround time and 7 days isolation then the schedule should look something like this:

Day 1 - Test 1
Day 3 - Test 1 results (isolation period starts for any positive cases)
Day 4 - Test 2 (players in isolation from test 1 not tested)
Day 6 - Test 2 results (isolation period starts for any new positive cases)

Day 8 - Test 3 (players in isolation from test 1 + 2 not tested)
Day 10 - Test 3 results (isolation period starts for any new positive cases)
Day 11 - Test 4 (players who tested positive on Test 1 are out of isolation and should be tested again - Test 2 positives still in isolation)
Day 13 - Test 4 results ((isolation period starts for any new positive cases)

Day 15 - Test 5 (players who tested positive on Test 1+2 are out of isolation and should be tested again - Test 3+4 positives still in isolation)

They are trying to improve on the 48 hour turnaround - in fact I think yesterdays results may have been from tests on Friday. No doubt test days will slip or have to be adjusted for various reasons and teams might not all test on the same day but you can see how relatively quickly it could build up IF there are lots of positive cases.

But I do think 8 positives is not a huge amount in the first week and bodes well for the chances of the PL actually getting started again. That is on the proviso that players and staff make quick and full recoveries from any symptoms.