Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Pep's Suit

"If the #PremierLeague season runs according to schedule, the #FACup Final has been pencilled in to take place at Wembley on August 1 - the quarter and semi-finals will be played during the #PL season.

@MailSport"

christinaa

Gossip Girl
UK tops coronavirus death rate rankings

The UK has suffered the highest rate of deaths from the coronavirus pandemic among countries that produce comparable data, according to excess mortality figures.
The UK has registered 59,537 more deaths than usual since the week ending March 20, indicating that the virus has directly or indirectly killed 891 people per million.
At this stage of the pandemic, that is a higher rate of death than in any country for which high-quality data exist. The absolute number of excess deaths in the UK is also the highest in Europe, and second only to the US in global terms, according to data collected by the Financial Times.

The country fares no better on another measure: the percentage increase in deaths compared with normal levels, where the UK once again is the worst hit in Europe and behind only Peru internationally.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
His posts remind me of David Icke.

Bollocks with a sprinkling of unfounded quotes and looney websites presented as fact.
He was already tiptoing the nonsensical line but totally lost it when suggesting Sweden had done well.

Something the Icke/denier types want to be true to try and depict lockdowns elsewhere as pointless and about government control, but actually totally false. 6th worst in the world on population.

romufc

Of course, the age is important here, and many professors has said there aint much risk for healthy people under the age of 45. Opening and playing with testing and no crowds is a good way to keep going and finishing the league.
The risk might be low for under 45. That is all well and good for the playing staff. What about managers and backroom staff? The PL has a few older managers like Allardyce, Hodson etc.. they are still going to be at risk.

PoTMS

Interesting. Who knew Man United v Sheffield United would be a fixture of concern?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum

Interesting. Who knew Man United v Sheffield United would be a fixture of concern?
Why are Man City and Newcastle a concern? Newcastle have nothing to play for and City are, well, City.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

I'm all for not playing the title-clinching game at Anfield should that be the case. But a bit weird that we benefit from 3 games in which the home team has to play us in a neutral venue instead of their own stadium.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What logic is there for United vs Sheffield being a concern but Spurs vs United not being a concern? Or Leicester vs United?

Pep's Suit

"#ManCity’s home fixtures against Liverpool and Newcastle will be played at neutral venues.

@SimonPeach"

Integrity this, integrity that... Pool gonna end this season with two or three *.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Not necessarily. First of all, over the last few years numerous players have dropped dead on pitches such as Foe, or near dead like that lad at Bolton, never mind the cases in other countries.

secondly, despite heart tracing etc, you can go your whole life with very specific heart issues undetected. Not every test picks up everything. For example, I had tracing, echos, treadmill tests, blood tests etc and was discharged from hospital. Only when I dropped at home did I get a full cardiac MRI to discover major issues.
Yeah I understand what you are saying. Much like the case of Fabrice Muamba (Bolton lad) though the clubs will be ready for something like this if it does happen.

I do agree that it seems unnecessarily risky to play all 92 remaining games, particularly as the season wares on and many of them will end up being meaningless dead rubbers.

The debate is over now. It's happening. The best thing to do is just embrace it I think.

Uniquim

Yeah, that is a bit of a weird one.

Maybe it has to do with other events taking the place in the city the same day, or the relatively short travel distance from Sheffield to Manchester.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Does it matter now? They have won it anyway.
Of course it matters. It matters to the opponents, too. (And rivals of their opponents, lest we forget.)

It’s just making a mockery of the league. Two vastly different competitions being crudely shoved together and shamelessly labelled as ‘integrity’. Utter nonsense.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
"#ManCity’s home fixtures against Liverpool and Newcastle will be played at neutral venues.

@SimonPeach"

Integrity this, integrity that... Pool gonna end this season with two or three *.
They should just give it * to them and not waste anybody's time!

Sigma

@SimonPeach"

Home advantage has been wiped out by lack of fans anyway. We've seen that from the first three weeks of the bundesliga restart.

arnie_ni

I'm all for not playing the title-clinching game at Anfield should that be the case. But a bit weird that we benefit from 3 games in which the home team has to play us in a neutral venue instead of their own stadium.
The neutral venue will be Anfield.

I kid i kid

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Home advantage has been wiped out by lack of fans anyway. We've seen that from the first three weeks of the bundesliga restart.
To be fair, the Bundesliga is a notoriously competitive league with barmy results on a normal weekend anyway. The last 36 fixtures before the lockdown only saw nine home wins, a point which is often overlooked.

I do agree with your point, though: home advantage isn’t what it used to be with home fans in attendance but there’s still a lot to be said for the familiarity of home stadia, dressing-rooms, pitches, players’ routines etc. Removing that altogether in favour of neutral venues is incredibly advantageous to the ‘away’ team.

kafkawithaspirin

Supports
Liverpool
Surely this is only the case if we fail to win it until the last one. If we win it vs Everton for example then there is no point playing the other games at neutral venues.

Matty7

What logic is there for United vs Sheffield being a concern but Spurs vs United not being a concern? Or Leicester vs United?
Possibly because it could determine the Champions League places? Can't think of anything else.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair, the Bundesliga is a notoriously competitive league with barmy results on a normal weekend anyway. The last 36 fixtures before the lockdown only saw nine home wins, a point which is often overlooked.

I do agree with your point, though: home advantage isn’t what it used to be with home fans in attendance but there’s still a lot to be said for the familiarity of home stadia, dressing-rooms, pitches, players’ routines etc. Removing that altogether in favour of neutral venues is incredibly advantageous to the ‘away’ team.
I'd say it's "slightly" rather than "incredibly" advantageous, but that's semantics. Still, considering that every team probably has more or less the same home and away games remaining, wouldn't they get the same kind of advantage as disadvantage overall? And yes yes not every team's home advantage is as big, but that's a minor issue if you look at the big picture here.

90 + 5min

What a joke. So, there will be teams like us who will be affected by not playing at home? If it is ok to play games then play them correctly. Why are we now talking about neutral stadiums? Either it is ok to play or not to play. Either it is safe or not safe. They are twisting and turning and bending rules just so football can be played.

So, they are taking advantage for team like ManCity and giving it to Liverpool looking at those games. Not that I think that Liverpool could be overtaken by City but integrity of the game is gone.

AshRK

Possibly because it could determine the Champions League places? Can't think of anything else.
Spurs United is also a very important game for a top 4 spot so don't understand the logic of have MU v. SFU in a neutral venue but the spurs game doesn't.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I can see why people are angry but on the flip side they can't celebrate the title win. There's no way they can have a bus parade. The new season starts almost immediately after this one finishes so the gloating time reduces and best of all they have moved so many goalposts to get it completed its never going to feel the same for them anyway. Feck the dippers. Let them have their moment.

Santos J

Been trouble a couple of times between fans, imagine that plays a part in it too as no doubt idiots will be congregating for the game still.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Amazing how much can change in a few weeks - I was completely against football restarting but with the success of German football returning and the better weather coming in I'm now all for it and can't wait to watch matches again.

Ollie Derbyshire

At this point I can’t wait for it to start again. Watching the NRL and it’s great to have that back as well.

I was against sport coming back but it’s a business and like all businesses deserves the chance to come back as best it can. Unfortunately that means Liverpool get their title but it’s in the best scenario possible, I’m working from home for the next 6 months

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What a joke. So, there will be teams like us who will be affected by not playing at home? If it is ok to play games then play them correctly. Why are we now talking about neutral stadiums? Either it is ok to play or not to play. Either it is safe or not safe. They are twisting and turning and bending rules just so football can be played.

So, they are taking advantage for team like ManCity and giving it to Liverpool looking at those games. Not that I think that Liverpool could be overtaken by City but integrity of the game is gone.
Must be great living in a world where everything is either black or white.

Pagh Wraith

Add Poland to the list of countries that allow fans back into the stadium. Another thing we've been told in this thread were impossible and anyone suggesting it deluded. I predict the next big talking point will be the continuation of Europa and Champions League. You'd definitely have to be a mug to believe this could happen...