Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah I understand what you are saying. Much like the case of Fabrice Muamba (Bolton lad) though the clubs will be ready for something like this if it does happen.

I do agree that it seems unnecessarily risky to play all 92 remaining games, particularly as the season wares on and many of them will end up being meaningless dead rubbers.

The debate is over now. It's happening. The best thing to do is just embrace it I think.
Yeah it’s done now.
Hopefully it works out safely

K stand Red

Can someone explain to me why the 12th is the start date when we haven't even started contact training or carried out any tests since contact training starts.
Surely we could end with teams playing one another then testing positive and what are the ramifications when contact training starts and a positive result is returned or following a match

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
They best not have any Liverpool games at OT. Imagine their second game is pencilled in at our stadium.
I mean we can remember a time when Arsenal won the league in front of a full house at OT and Chelsea had a guard of honor too. We also practically secured the league at Anfield in 97 and have had guards of honour in front of packed stadiums at Stamford Bridge and the ‘Emirates’. I’m imagining Liverpool winning the league at a completely empty Old Trafford and it really doesn’t seem that bad.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Surely this is only the case if we fail to win it until the last one. If we win it vs Everton for example then there is no point playing the other games at neutral venues.
Yeah, good point. Might be the case indeed, but I don't think we'll win it as early as Everton away unfortunately.

Dan_F

Can someone explain to me why the 12th is the start date when we haven't even started contact training or carried out any tests since contact training starts.
Surely we could end with teams playing one another then testing positive and what are the ramifications when contact training starts and a positive result is returned or following a match
It’s mental. I’m not sure on Germany, but In Slovenia they were training already for a month and had 3 friendlies to build up match fitness. They are only restarting next week.

What is a pre season usually, 6 weeks, 8 games? The standard of football is going to be shit, and I’d be surprised if there wasn’t loads of injuries.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What is a pre season usually, 6 weeks, 8 games? The standard of football is going to be shit, and I’d be surprised if there wasn’t loads of injuries.
A preseason after international tournaments isn't more than 2 or 3 weeks either - not to mention that players have played a full season before said tournaments as well, as opposed to having sat at home maintaining their fitness right now.

Bayern and Dortmund played some great stuff last weekend, after a similar layoff. I swear some people will find anything to have a moan about these days.

brian017

Beside the derby, what’s the rationale about playing Liverpool’s away games at neutral venues?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Add Poland to the list of countries that allow fans back into the stadium. Another thing we've been told in this thread were impossible and anyone suggesting it deluded. I predict the next big talking point will be the continuation of Europa and Champions League. You'd definitely have to be a mug to believe this could happen...
25% capacity too so you would be getting 5 to 10 thousand people at games on a regular basis.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
25% capacity too so you would be getting 5 to 10 thousand people at games on a regular basis.
Curious to find out how they'll organize that with respect for social distancing rules.

Lynty

I was against behind closed doors at first, thought it would be mood killer, but now I can't wait for the season to resume especially with this hot weather. Russia 2018 vibes.

Bring on spurs, Ole's first real test.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Curious to find out how they'll organize that with respect for social distancing rules.
There has basically been no social distancing here for the last two weeks and there will be even less when bars and restaurants remove capacity limit soon, so I doubt they will care all that much about social distancing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
A preseason after international tournaments isn't more than 2 or 3 weeks either - not to mention that players have played a full season before said tournaments as well, as opposed to having sat at home maintaining their fitness right now.

Bayern and Dortmund played some great stuff last weekend, after a similar layoff. I swear some people will find anything to have a moan about these days.
This pretty much.

Tony Babangida

Liverpool not properly winning the league was the only upside of the pandemic, now that's been snatched away.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It'll still be; Liverpool 2019/20 Premier Champions* , to everyone but scousers.
That maybe would've been the case if the season was stopped prematurely; if there are 38 games played and we are on top, it's as legitimate a title as any other. What would the * refer to? The fact that we played a few games at a neutral venue instead of Anfield? Good luck with that :lol:

The downside of all this shit is that it doesn't feel like a proper title win, if anything. There'll be no celebrations, no parade, no nothing. It will just be checking the box and move on to next season. It's basically just a formality right now.

90 + 5min

Maybe. But some people would also have no problem with risking life. For them football is more important than safety of 60+ people. So it goes in both ways.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe. But some people would also have no problem with risking life. For them football is more important than safety of 60+ people. So it goes in both ways.
Why are you narrowing it down to football though? Your post would also reply to all managers and bosses recalling staff to their offices, to retailers opening up their shops again, to basically all of society which has tried to return to somewhat of a normal situation. Yet the biggest outcry is regarding football, an industry where the majority of the people involved are tested every few days.

Ollie Derbyshire

If the clubs and players are happy to play then let them, if they aren’t they don’t play.

I’m more worried about thousands of people risking lives by going to Bournemouth beach every time the suns out.

Ollie Derbyshire

Why are you narrowing it down to football though? Your post would also reply to all managers and bosses recalling staff to their offices, to retailers opening up their shops again, to basically all of society which has tried to return to somewhat of a normal situation. Yet the biggest outcry is regarding football, an industry where the majority of the people involved are tested every few days.
Agreed, football is a business, not a group of guys playing at the local park.

90 + 5min

My point is that that there are people who have totally different opinion on things. There are those who still think it is just a flu, while there are also those who are thinking this is black death. It is not just about football. When it comes to football, it is still only entertainment industry that we all love. I have my reasons why we should have ended this season (not just safety and yes, you would still get trophy from my point of view).

90 + 5min

If the clubs and players are happy to play then let them, if they aren’t they don’t play.

I’m more worried about thousands of people risking lives by going to Bournemouth beach every time the suns out.
If owner of some pub or nightclub manager want to open up they should? And if people want to go there let them? I love football, but I don't like making it like it is more important then other businesses. We are all in this together. Either we open up everything. Or not. When it comes to this season it is just because of money it is played. Nothing else.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
My point is that that there are people who have totally different opinion on things. There are those who still think it is just a flu, while there are also those who are thinking this is black death. It is not just about football. When it comes to football, it is still only entertainment industry that we all love. I have my reasons why we should have ended this season (not just safety and yes, you would still get trophy from my point of view).
If owner of some pub or nightclub manager want to open up they should? And if people want to go there let them? I love football, but I don't like making it like it is more important then other businesses. We are all in this together. Either we open up everything. Or not. When it comes to this season it is just because of money it is played. Nothing else.
This is where I simply disagree with you. It is not just entertainment, it is a business like any other. The "either we open up everything or not" argument is quite honestly laughable as well. There are some things that are safer than others, so it's only natural that things are re-opening again based on how safe they are. Multiple studies have already proven that it's not unsafe to play football, let alone if you're tested every other day.

Lynty

That maybe would've been the case if the season was stopped prematurely; if there are 38 games played and we are on top, it's as legitimate a title as any other. What would the * refer to? The fact that we played a few games at a neutral venue instead of Anfield? Good luck with that :lol:

The downside of all this shit is that it doesn't feel like a proper title win, if anything. There'll be no celebrations, no parade, no nothing. It will just be checking the box and move on to next season. It's basically just a formality right now.
The pandemic has overshadowed your triumph. You won it fair and square, but the main story isn't your title win after decades of waiting or how you crushed it. People will remember the year that the league almost got cancelled and football was played in the summer. And as you say, there will be no time to celebrate or gloat.

Not saying I'd deny the trophy if it was us, but it would never feel like a regular win.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The pandemic has overshadowed your triumph. You won it fair and square, but the main story isn't your title win after decades of waiting or how you crushed it. People will remember the year that the league almost got cancelled and football was played in the summer. And as you say, there will be no time to celebrate or gloat.

Not saying I'd deny the trophy if it was us, but it would never feel like a regular win.
People can remember it all they want of course. To be honest, I think in 10 years time 19/20 will just be "that season with the 3-month break which Liverpool won" - if you wanna put an asterisk next to that in order to remember that 19/20 was the corona season, I won't stop you ;)

It's of course the least fortunate circumstances you wanna win a title in because it's not a time to celebrate in to begin with, so in that respect it won't feel like a "win" to me even though it is.

Ollie Derbyshire

No cause they haven’t been told they can do, football had.
I agree a large part of this is money dictated but it is also a huge business which needs to re start, just like other professional sports are trying to do.

Utdstar01

17th isn't it?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People can remember it all they want of course. To be honest, I think in 10 years time 19/20 will just be "that season with the 3-month break which Liverpool won" - if you wanna put an asterisk next to that in order to remember that 19/20 was the corona season, I won't stop you ;)

It's of course the least fortunate circumstances you wanna win a title in because it's not a time to celebrate in to begin with, so in that respect it won't feel like a "win" to me even though it is.
This pandemic is going down in history for way longer than 10 years. No one is going to look back at the 19/20 season as "that season with the 3 month break with Liverpool won".

Without bitterness here, you won't have any * next to the title obviously, but this campaign will be remembered as the pandemic campaign. Who wins what will just be an after thought. Sure for your club it's significant as it puts an end to 30 years of waiting and is a good media narrative, but I strongly doubt neutrals streets will be reflecting in the same way.

buchansleftleg

I have to say that I really hope that this gets pushed back. Particularly since case in the North West are on the rise.

I don't want to see any player compromising their future career or even life just so the government can try and distract people from the appalling way they have handled this pandemic.

Germany had a lower peak and much lower cases when they reopened. Bojo is tossing a coin with a lot of people's lives at the moment. I just wish some clubs would call this out as too dangerous to risk a players life.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
This pandemic is going down in history for way longer than 10 years. No one is going to look back at the 19/20 season as "that season with the 3 month break with Liverpool won".

Without bitterness here, you won't have any * next to the title obviously, but this campaign will be remembered as the pandemic campaign. Who wins what will just be an after thought. Sure for your club it's significant as it puts an end to 30 years of waiting and is a good media narrative, but I strongly doubt neutrals streets will be reflecting in the same way.
Meh, I could just as easily argue the other way - every man and his dog will know or remember that Liverpool won the corona edition. You don't have many people who know by heart who won a league campaign 10-20 years ago apart from the fans of said club and the die hards you find on this forum.

Obviously "corona" will be the #1 thing that comes up if someone refers to the 19/20 season, instead of Liverpool, but that's logical imo. And does someone care about that? I don't really care what people associate a league campaign with or what not.

Blackwidow

I have to say that I really hope that this gets pushed back. Particularly since case in the North West are on the rise.

I don't want to see any player compromising their future career or even life just so the government can try and distract people from the appalling way they have handled this pandemic.

Germany had a lower peak and much lower cases when they reopened. Bojo is tossing a coin with a lot of people's lives at the moment. I just wish some clubs would call this out as too dangerous to risk a players life.
Your reopening is still 3 weeks from now - whereas the Bundesliga opened 2 weeks ago. Some weeks ago the numbers in Germany weren't much different from the numbers in England now.

TheOx

Supports
Liverpool
It'll still be; Liverpool 2019/20 Premier Champions* , to everyone but scousers.
Don’t you mean every Utd supporter? There is no reason at all to put a * at this title win. Especially when you’re fecking 25 points ahead, there was never going to be a catch up, with or without corona.

90 + 5min

This is where I simply disagree with you. It is not just entertainment, it is a business like any other. The "either we open up everything or not" argument is quite honestly laughable as well. There are some things that are safer than others, so it's only natural that things are re-opening again based on how safe they are. Multiple studies have already proven that it's not unsafe to play football, let alone if you're tested every other day.
I said entertainment industry. That is business. What is safe is matter of opinion. Some people think it is safer to hug, spit and being in contact with other people then maybe sitting 2-3 m apart in a pub or walking in grocery shops. And yes I know that footballers are tested more.

No cause they haven’t been told they can do, football had.
I agree a large part of this is money dictated but it is also a huge business which needs to re start, just like other professional sports are trying to do.
Agree. But why is that? Because of money. Suddenly we are putting people in boxes. Those who we can make money from and those who can't be profitable. Why should a big business be more important than little ones? People are people.

Ollie Derbyshire

I said entertainment industry. That is business. What is safe is matter of opinion. Some people think it is safer to hug, spit and being in contact with other people then maybe sitting 2-3 m apart in a pub or walking in grocery shops. And yes I know that footballers are tested more.

Agree. But why is that? Because of money. Suddenly we are putting people in boxes. Those who we can make money from and those who can't be profitable. Why should a big business be more important than little ones? People are people.
Most businesses are open now right, lots of them small businesses? Except pubs, clubs, restaurants etc.
As long as you can do it as safely as possible.

Personally I think pubs/restaurants should be able to open with social distancing, but for some that might not be worth it or too difficult.

Denis' cuff

nope - more to the point that you’re playing what were away games vs, City, Everton and Newcastle at a neutral venue instead but typically, still whinging and thinking you’re a special case.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...verpool-can-win-title-played-at-neutral-venue

Judas

Open to offers
To be honest most of the celebration and smugness happened months ago in terms of their title win. It'll be so muted and a non-event, when it would have been so over the top if it wasn’t for the truly tragic times we find ourselves in. They deserved to win the league and they’ll officially do it, fair enough.