Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Has anyone else not missed it at all?

Perhaps it will all change when it comes back and I'll be there as always but I'm not even sure I'll be watching any Spurs matches, let alone others, for the rest of the season.

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Perhaps it will all change when it comes back and I'll be there as always but I'm not even sure I'll be watching any Spurs matches, let alone others, for the rest of the season.
I feel exactly the same. Many friends I’ve spoken to are also apathetic about it. The integrity of the season is completely shot, especially with talk about playing games at neutral venues. I doubt I’ll be watching when it restarts to be honest.

Tarrou

I haven't missed it as much as I thought

Usually International week feels like forever, but it's surprising how soon you get used to no football

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Neutral venues is seriously BS. If they can't trust the population, or themselves to control them, to not come to stadium then what's the point? And I think people are overreacting to the risk of this.

The same was thought when the BL was starting but there haven't been any issues of people gathering at the stadium till now. You should just have the matches at the home stadium and build systems to prevent large gatherings.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I feel exactly the same. Many friends I’ve spoken to are also apathetic about it. The integrity of the season is completely shot, especially with talk about playing games at neutral venues. I doubt I’ll be watching when it restarts to be honest.
There's still hundreds dying every day.
Thousands of new cases. The UK is moving too fast out of lockdown just the opposite of the start where they were too slow. I fear it's going to take hold again.

The notion that football will boost the nation is a sweeping generalisation at best. What if your team is shit? Back to watching them lose every week?? Maybe get relegated to compound the virus misery?

Its all very odd. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I'm not really interested in how it pans out. It feels hollow and driven by finance.

It's bad for Liverpool as they did deserve to win it and have their celebrations.
Can't imagine what a trophy presentation will look or feel like in an empty stadium.
Would you even stay on the pitch if you were on the other team?
Same goes for FA cup . It's all hollow.
Sporting integrity is hardly mentioned.

Lynty

People can remember it all they want of course. To be honest, I think in 10 years time 19/20 will just be "that season with the 3-month break which Liverpool won" - if you wanna put an asterisk next to that in order to remember that 19/20 was the corona season, I won't stop you ;)

It's of course the least fortunate circumstances you wanna win a title in because it's not a time to celebrate in to begin with, so in that respect it won't feel like a "win" to me even though it is.
Imagine the reverse scenario. You lose 3 vital squad players due to testing positive. You go on an unimaginable losing streak with player injuries coming in from everywhere.

City snatch the title on the final day.

They'd definitely put an asterisk on that win.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Imagine the reverse scenario. You lose 3 vital squad players due to testing positive. You go on an unimaginable losing streak with player injuries coming in from everywhere.

City snatch the title on the final day.

They'd definitely put an asterisk on that win.
That’s not what’ll happen though. We’re winning it even despite the break, not because of it.

Anyway like I said yesterday, put next to it what you want! ;)

Feed Me

I'm hungry
There's still hundreds dying every day.
Thousands of new cases. The UK is moving too fast out of lockdown just the opposite of the start where they were too slow. I fear it's going to take hold again.

The notion that football will boost the nation is a sweeping generalisation at best. What if your team is shit? Back to watching them lose every week?? Maybe get relegated to compound the virus misery?

Its all very odd. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I'm not really interested in how it pans out. It feels hollow and driven by finance.

It's bad for Liverpool as they did deserve to win it and have their celebrations.
Can't imagine what a trophy presentation will look or feel like in an empty stadium.
Would you even stay on the pitch if you were on the other team?
Same goes for FA cup . It's all hollow.
Sporting integrity is hardly mentioned.
Opium for the masses.

Kajus

Neutral venues is seriously BS. If they can't trust the population, or themselves to control them, to not come to stadium then what's the point? And I think people are overreacting to the risk of this.

The same was thought when the BL was starting but there haven't been any issues of people gathering at the stadium till now. You should just have the matches at the home stadium and build systems to prevent large gatherings.
But I assume that’s because the general public in Germany is relatively reasonable. The general public here in the UK is so unbelievably stupid it’s flabbergasting. The lack of awareness I witness every day genuinely scares me and I have no doubts that it’s not just the government’s slow response that caused the UK to be the worst affected country in Europe but also the stupidity of the people living here. There will be hundreds if not thousands of idiots near the stadiums, there’s people all around the country sitting in packed parks regardless of hundreds of dailys deaths.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
That’s not what’ll happen though. We’re winning it even despite the break, not because of it.

Anyway like I said yesterday, put next to it what you want! ;)
Thanks for your suggestion:

'' Liverpool ( * nobody really cares, there was a global pandemic )''

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

You're not alone there, almost everyone I speak to about the return of football shares that same ambivalent feeling. United fans should be excited by the prospect as we have a strong chance of making the top four and winning both the FA and EL cups, but anything we do end up winning will be tainted, irrelevant. No one will care or bother celebrating it.

All in all, it feels like a waste of time and resources. They should have just scraped this season and focused on preparing for the next one.

Thiagoal

Jesus! I feel sad and alone as the only one that’s looking forward to football restarting! I’m surprised those of you that are so ambivalent are bothering to check and comment on a football forum though!

TheLiverBird

Jesus! I feel sad and alone as the only one that’s looking forward to football restarting! I’m surprised those of you that are so ambivalent are bothering to check and comment on a football forum though!
I'm quite excited too

I've been so totally not arsed with it for a few months now with the current pandemic etc and just in general trying to keep myself sane :D

But since the announcement of the EPL Re-start date, I've been delightfully excited about it

its not going to be the same, it is going to be bizarre with it being in neutral venues and behind closed doors, but its something

and I'm excited to get this Title done and dusted too, I'm not in party mode fireworks celebration mode about it, I'm past all that, the moment has gone, I'm just looking forward to crossing that line, ticking it off, and seeing this season finally finished

bring it on

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Having a lie-in and posting on Redcafe on a Saturday morning is a kind of tradition.

Coffee, ginger nuts, post on Redcafe. Isn't that what everyone does?

TheLiverBird

I'm curious as to why he's so fussed about it! It is what it is surely and has to be expected under the circumstances.
Its not really worth talking about I suppose

If its there its there, if not....then its not

I just want to see Liverpool carved onto that EPL Trophy, purely because its deserved, if that means we need an asterisks then thats tip top with me :)

I know it won't stop mates of mine who supports rivalled teams from sending me "*" 68 times a day

in fact its really annoying, but oh well

thank god for beer!!! and whisky!!!

Last edited:

Dan_F

If you go deep into the World Cup, you play until July 12th or so. 3 weeks holiday after that, they come back end of July, beginning of August. First game of the season is usually around August 10 so yes, I think pre-season for a lot of guys after an international tournament is two weeks. Which is less than half what they'll have had right now, minus the tiredness from having played a full season + tournament after an international tournament.

Also, Dortmund-Bayern was indeed three games in but it was also just 10 days after the Bundesliga restarted, and to add to that, Bayern came out flying just like they were before the break under Flick. You might see some patchy play in the first games back but there are currently no reasons to suggest that the level will be atrocious, especially if you consider they've been back in training for more than a week as of now and have more than 3 weeks left(!) of full-contact training.

If the thing you're moaning about is potentially playing one or two games at a neutral venue instead of an (empty) Old Trafford, or 5 subs instead of 3, then I'm gonna conclude from that that they did a fantastic job of bringing football back in a successful way.
That would be maybe 2 players in a team, who would usually miss the first few league games. Everyone else in the squad has a full pre season.

I watched the Dortmund Bayern game, and thought the second half was pretty shit considering what was on the line. Don’t know if that was fitness or players being rusty.

And okay. If you can’t see how that effects the fairness of the league then I can’t be bothered.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I wish we had to play the Vermin in this separate novelty competition the Premier League have decided to throw together. Even without fans present, home and away advantage totally discarded, extra substitutions available and a litany of other reasons why it’s not the same competition as the one which started in August, it’s still a great derby game.

I’m looking forward to the real football and the authentic Premier League resuming some time in the future.

TheReligion

Abusive
Its not really worth talking about I suppose

If its there its there, if not....then its not

I just want to see Liverpool carved onto that EPL Trophy, purely because its deserved, if that means we need an asterisks then thats tip top with me :)

I know it won't stop mates of mine who supports rivalled teams from sending me "*" 68 times a day

in fact its really annoying, but oh well

thank god for beer!!! and whisky!!!
Exactly. It's fully understandable why there will be a footnote on this season's football and a * against it. Arguing that there shouldn't be is rather silly. It's obvious why and it's no one's fault. Just accept it.

Heinzesight

Liverpool deserve the title. But a deserved asterix too. It’s the not the same season anymore. Five subs and neutral venues for some ffs.

But what is really eating them up inside is the damp squib, wet fart of an ending with no celebrations. It’s fecking killing them. Cue the resident Vermin saying they don’t care but you do lads...suck it up...deep down you’re gutted. “But, but, but we’ll celebrate properly later in the year...” yeah, when no fecker cares about your shit stained title win.

Sigma

As a Manchester United fan, its not that difficult to fess up and say that Liverpool deserve the title and that although the coronavirus has caused havoc, the they surmounted such a lead that their title was never in doubt.

This thread has 339 pages showing just how childish some football fans are.

Mettaur

Supports
Liverpool
To be honest, Liverpool fans are probably not fussed on where they seal the title (if they do). Of course you'll get some idiots who will congregate at the stadium but all this neutral venue stuff is nonsense. Bundesliga didn't even do that and the fans did not turn up at all.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
But I assume that’s because the general public in Germany is relatively reasonable. The general public here in the UK is so unbelievably stupid it’s flabbergasting. The lack of awareness I witness every day genuinely scares me and I have no doubts that it’s not just the government’s slow response that caused the UK to be the worst affected country in Europe but also the stupidity of the people living here. There will be hundreds if not thousands of idiots near the stadiums, there’s people all around the country sitting in packed parks regardless of hundreds of dailys deaths.
Maybe a slight generalisation?

Pep's Suit

I havn't really followed this, but how are we supposed to end the season, surely it's too late now? No summer break for clubs and players`?
I think it's in FIFA 'rules' that players must have 21 days off so if CL / EL doesn't end before late August then 20/21 can't start before early October (3 weeks holidays + 3-4 weeks pre-season).

Pep's Suit

For a foreign fan like me it's just another form of passive entertainment but with no new movies in cinema for another couple of months and TV / streamers running out of new content... I'm quite excited, to be honest.