Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Factually untrue, you have the same kind of options on your bench, it's the quality which may be different. Which, again, as was my point, will be a footnote in 99.9% of the remaining games imo.
What are you on about? Who’s you? By ‘more options’ I obviously meant ‘’more quality options’.

Like the example someone gave in a previous post, Man City are the obvious example. Or compare Chelsea’s options to Sheffield United.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
What are you on about? Who’s you? By ‘more options’ I obviously meant ‘’more quality options’.

Like the example someone gave in a previous post, Man City are the obvious example. Or compare Chelsea’s options to Sheffield United.
You can play that game 100 times and 95 times it won't be decided by the fourth or fifth sub. That's my whole point, it marginally impacts the game. You have some on here going on about it as if some teams will be able to field 13 players by the sound of it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
You can play that game 100 times and 95 times it won't be decided by the fourth or fifth sub. That's my whole point, it marginally impacts the game. You have some on here going on about it as if some teams will be able to field 13 players by the sound of it.
I don’t think anyone has said that.

Anyway I agree with you and I have said that it makes a marginal difference however it marginally favours clubs with more money/better squads.

Which of course means it is fair to say that there will be an asterisks next to Liverpool’s name when they win the league.

LordNinio

I think the big difference for me, isn't in the game they make the subs, but subsequent games.

Bigger teams can make 5 subs, with competent replacements, without fear of it affecting the game too much for them, meaning they can rest them for the next game.

Coxy

Anyone know of a list anywhere which details when the free games are on?

Flying high

I think the big difference for me, isn't in the game they make the subs, but subsequent games.

Bigger teams can make 5 subs, with competent replacements, without fear of it affecting the game too much for them, meaning they can rest them for the next game.
It could work the other way too. Think of Burnley defending for the whole game, with tactical fouling and trying to spoil the game. They can now bring on 5 fresh players who don't have yellow cards to their name.

If the players won't be ready, give them an extra week for a couple of friendlies. Changing the rules is making even more of a farce of the restart.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Buzzing, can watch the first 4 games we are back on then :drool: 2 weeks!
I'm looking forward to watching some football after being so long without it, I only hope the good form we showed before the interruption will continue. The idea of playing behind closed doors isn't overly exciting, though, I guess we'll just have to get used to it.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Anyone know of a list anywhere which details when the free games are on?
Wednesday 17 June

6pm Aston Villa vs Sheffield United (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Manchester City vs Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Friday 19 June
6pm Norwich City vs Southampton (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
8.15pm Spurs vs Man United (Sky Sports)

Saturday 20 June
12.30pm Watford vs Leicester City (BT Sport)
3pm Brighton vs Arsenal (BT Sport)
5.30pm West Ham vs Wolves (Sky Sports)
7.45pm AFC Bournemouth vs Crystal Palace (FREE on the BBC)

Sunday 21 June
2pm Newcastle United vs Sheffield United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
4.15pm Aston Villa vs Chelsea (Sky Sports)
7pm Everton vs Liverpool (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)

Monday 22 June
8pm Manchester City vs Burnley (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 23 June
6pm Leicester City vs Brighton (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Spurs vs West Ham (Sky Sports)

Wednesday 24 June
6pm Manchester United vs Sheffield United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
6pm Newcastle United vs Aston Villa (BT Sport)
6pm Norwich City vs Everton (FREE on the BBC)
6pm Wolves vs AFC Bournemouth (BT Sport)
8.15pm Liverpool vs Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)

Thursday 25 June
6pm Burnley vs Watford (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
6pm Southampton vs Arsenal (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Chelsea vs Manchester City (BT Sport)

Saturday 27 June
12.30pm Aston Villa vs Wolves (BT Sport)

Sunday 28 June
4.30pm Watford vs Southampton (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)

Monday 29 June
8pm Crystal Palace vs Burnley (FREE on Amazon Prime Video)

Tuesday 30 June
8.15pm Brighton vs Manchester United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)

Wednesday 1 July
6pm Arsenal vs Norwich City (BT Sport)
6pm AFC Bournemouth vs Newcastle United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
6pm Everton vs Leicester City (Sky Sports)
8.15pm West Ham vs Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Thursday 2 July
6pm Sheffield United vs Spurs (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Manchester City vs Liverpool (Sky Sports)

LordNinio

It could work the other way too. Think of Burnley defending for the whole game, with tactical fouling and trying to spoil the game. They can now bring on 5 fresh players who don't have yellow cards to their name.

If the players won't be ready, give them an extra week for a couple of friendlies. Changing the rules is making even more of a farce of the restart.
Good point

90 + 5min

I'm content with Liverpool being crowned champions. I take it you will be questioning the integrity of the sport next season as well considering at least half of the season will be played without fans.
Changing all kind of rules in the middle of a season only to keep football going for the sake of money can be question of integrity. Playing without supporters and knowing that before season starts is not question about integrity.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah I'm the same - can't wait for it to come back now.
Absolutely buzzing mate, first game back against your side too. Let's hope it's cracking.

I'm looking forward to watching some football after being so long without it, I only hope the good form we showed before the interruption will continue. The idea of playing behind closed doors isn't overly exciting, though, I guess we'll just have to get used to it.
See I was the same, where I wasn't sure how I would feel as it would mean no fans and what have you. But honestly, since the announcement I am buzzing.

Agreed on our form too, let's hope it continues. Just can't wait to watch Bruno again :drool:

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Luckily for us I think we already played them cnuts twice.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Why do we have a scouse infestation on here. I wouldn't dream of signing up to rawk as a utd fan. Do we get many of our lot behind enemy lines? I wouldn't know.

Flying high

Luckily for us I think we already played them cnuts twice.
But that's the problem with changing the rules. It's not the same throughout the 38 game season.

We all know *pool played their 29 easiest games first, for example. :smirk:

montpelier

10 subs a game is half the outfield players. It's ridiculous.

Or a new player on, taking 2-3 minutes in the time wasting phase, every 9 minutes.

The last 15 minutes of games are quite often tedious enough already. In some cases where they were potentially gonna be a good exciting finish.

When did we get so snowflakey about injuries anyway? It's supposedly a contact sport but players now whine and lie down 2 or 3 times for each and every twinge.

10 subs is bollocks. And don't get hurt 1 minute after the appointed subs time, that would be awkward too, esp if it's your GK.

I hate football being like this*

christinaa

Gossip Girl
It's just a silly post that's all. I'm clearly stating the facts as to the impact the virus has had on football. Surely you're not too blinkered to see that. It's really quite objective. The season started with one set of rules and will finish with another. To outright deny that is laughable.
Agree with this.

fps

Or a new player on, taking 2-3 minutes in the time wasting phase, every 9 minutes.

The last 15 minutes of games are quite often tedious enough already. In some cases where they were potentially gonna be a good exciting finish.

When did we get so snowflakey about injuries anyway? It's supposedly a contact sport but players now whine and lie down 2 or 3 times for each and every twinge.

10 subs is bollocks. And don't get hurt 1 minute after the appointed subs time, that would be awkward too, esp if it's your GK.

I agree that it doesn’t feel right. However I believe there have been a lot of muscle injuries in the bundesliga so far and the pl may be terrified of a farcical situation where teams literally don’t have the players to finish games. It’ll be interesting to see if and how that many substitutes are used. I do have some sympathy as I imagine players’ muscles and fitness may not be at their own levels of expectation, at which point it’s quite easy to do yourself a mischief, as I’ve discovered recently getting back into tennis at a distinctly amateur level.

montpelier

I agree that it doesn’t feel right. However I believe there have been a lot of muscle injuries in the bundesliga so far and the pl may be terrified of a farcical situation where teams literally don’t have the players to finish games. It’ll be interesting to see if and how that many substitutes are used. I do have some sympathy as I imagine players’ muscles and fitness may not be at their own levels of expectation, at which point it’s quite easy to do yourself a mischief, as I’ve discovered recently getting back into tennis at a distinctly amateur level.
Hmm, OK. A lot of that is theoretically reasonable, I must admit. And thanks for explaining it.

We will see what happens I suppose.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
When they make multiple subs at the same time now (or at least, before Corona), it takes longer than when they make a single sub.

And you seem to agree with me that Man City will benefit from this, surely you also agree that the likes of Chelsea and Man United are going to have deeper benches than Sheffield United.
I'd argue things like taking to long for a throw-in, feigning injury, taking too long for a free-kick are much bigger issues than the amount of time it takes to make a sub.

Also, there is another argument:
- having 5 subs also helps smaller teams in a way. Typically, it takes more energy to defend for 90 minutes than for teams who constantly keep the ball and make a lot of passes. Many bigger teams score goals in the last 10 minutes when the smaller team has tired legs. By giving them 2 extra subs you have 2 fresh players that can help the team withstand that pressure better.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
I still think that at the time the league was stopped Liverpool were in a really shaky moment where they had had a run of shit results and looked extremely flaky . I don`t agree with Michael Owen and think Liverpool "pumped" Atletico , in fact the last 2 Atletico goals looked like the Liverpool defenders were Knackered. A couple more bad results at that time and who knows, I mean they have bottled it before , but as The Religion says we will never know as they have now had time to reset and the rules have been altered ready for them to go again . Yes, they will win the league and most likely would have without the season break but there will always be a slight doubt as things definitely came at a good time for them . Well done *
Didn't they win 4 out of their last 5 league games before the league stopped?Manchester City looked in worse form as they lost 2 out of their last 5 league games before the league stopped. And Manchester City is the only team that could catch up to Liverpool so I think that argument goes out the window.

They did lose to Atletico but Atletico is better than any EPL team bar Manchester City and Liverpool, and I'd argue that Atletico Madrid would only have trouble against City/Liverpool over 2 legs and win against any other EPL team.

Jibberjabber

Supports
Liverpool
Just had a thought about next season and the issue of possible return of fans midway thru the season. One of the big problems about Project Restart is that for example we played City at Anfield in front of our fans and they will play the reverse in front of no fans (probably not a great example but you get what I mean).

So why not have next season as a series of double headers. So match day 2 is a reverse of match day 1 etc - that will minimise some of the integrity issues. If done properly they could also leave all the big games till the end of the season. Imagine the final run of games being double headers between Liverpool, Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Leicester, Spurs. And that would likely mean that the relegation battling sides would also all be playing each other during the run in. Add in the possibility of fans coming back during this period and it would make for a hell of a seasons end.
Decent idea, what an end to the season that would be!!

Coxy

Wednesday 17 June

6pm Aston Villa vs Sheffield United (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Manchester City vs Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Friday 19 June
6pm Norwich City vs Southampton (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
8.15pm Spurs vs Man United (Sky Sports)

Saturday 20 June
12.30pm Watford vs Leicester City (BT Sport)
3pm Brighton vs Arsenal (BT Sport)
5.30pm West Ham vs Wolves (Sky Sports)
7.45pm AFC Bournemouth vs Crystal Palace (FREE on the BBC)

Sunday 21 June
2pm Newcastle United vs Sheffield United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
4.15pm Aston Villa vs Chelsea (Sky Sports)
7pm Everton vs Liverpool (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)

Monday 22 June
8pm Manchester City vs Burnley (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 23 June
6pm Leicester City vs Brighton (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Spurs vs West Ham (Sky Sports)

Wednesday 24 June
6pm Manchester United vs Sheffield United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
6pm Newcastle United vs Aston Villa (BT Sport)
6pm Norwich City vs Everton (FREE on the BBC)
6pm Wolves vs AFC Bournemouth (BT Sport)
8.15pm Liverpool vs Crystal Palace (Sky Sports)

Thursday 25 June
6pm Burnley vs Watford (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
6pm Southampton vs Arsenal (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Chelsea vs Manchester City (BT Sport)

Saturday 27 June
12.30pm Aston Villa vs Wolves (BT Sport)

Sunday 28 June
4.30pm Watford vs Southampton (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)

Monday 29 June
8pm Crystal Palace vs Burnley (FREE on Amazon Prime Video)

Tuesday 30 June
8.15pm Brighton vs Manchester United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)

Wednesday 1 July
6pm Arsenal vs Norwich City (BT Sport)
6pm AFC Bournemouth vs Newcastle United (FREE on Sky Sports/Pick)
6pm Everton vs Leicester City (Sky Sports)
8.15pm West Ham vs Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Thursday 2 July
6pm Sheffield United vs Spurs (Sky Sports)
8.15pm Manchester City vs Liverpool (Sky Sports)
Thank you!

fps

I don’t think anyone has said that.

Anyway I agree with you and I have said that it makes a marginal difference however it marginally favours clubs with more money/better squads.

Which of course means it is fair to say that there will be an asterisks next to Liverpool’s name when they win the league.
I'm not sure whether making 5 substitutions in a match would automatically benefit a team, regardless of the personnel. What of team cohesion and shape? 5 players having to get up to speed? It'll be strange if it happens for sure, but I wonder how many coaches will do it, given how fit footballers are. As InterFan1998 said, perhaps the fresher legs will help even up the ultra-fit top squads (who may or may not have a special something in their corn flakes) and the lower table teams.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure whether making 5 substitutions in a match would automatically benefit a team, regardless of the personnel. What of team cohesion and shape? 5 players having to get up to speed? It'll be strange if it happens for sure, but I wonder how many coaches will do it, given how fit footballers are. As InterFan1998 said, perhaps the fresher legs will help even up the ultra-fit top squads (who may or may not have a special something in their corn flakes) and the lower table teams.
It won't. It certainly won't benefit Liverpool as their second string is considerably weaker than their starting eleven.

If changing from 3 to 5 subs is the latest thing opposition fans are trying to use as some sort of stick to beat Liverpool with its the most embarrassing one so far and that's saying something!

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Just had a thought about next season and the issue of possible return of fans midway thru the season. One of the big problems about Project Restart is that for example we played City at Anfield in front of our fans and they will play the reverse in front of no fans (probably not a great example but you get what I mean).

So why not have next season as a series of double headers. So match day 2 is a reverse of match day 1 etc - that will minimise some of the integrity issues. If done properly they could also leave all the big games till the end of the season. Imagine the final run of games being double headers between Liverpool, Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Leicester, Spurs. And that would likely mean that the relegation battling sides would also all be playing each other during the run in. Add in the possibility of fans coming back during this period and it would make for a hell of a seasons end.
Very good idea.

Pagh Wraith

And yet the net game time is the Bundesliga has increased significantly. No more time wasting and feigning injuries.

Five subs instead of three won't make a difference either as there will still be only three opportunities to make a sub.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And yet the net game time is the Bundesliga has increased significantly. No more time wasting and feigning injuries.

Five subs instead of three won't make a difference either as there will still be only three opportunities to make a sub.
Making multiple subs at the same time takes longer than making a single sub, it just does, given the nature of the process.

montpelier

I can only think atm that the German players have got frightened of being subbed off then, which is kind of hilarious in its own way.

I still don't see how set times for subs isn't slightly stupid but it's better than 8 x 2 mins of faffing I suppose.

The show must go on.