Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

diawl_coch

Its an option but i doubt they will need to. Sky and BT's business model for selling their subscriptions relies heavily on PL football being a feature they can offer. Theres no way in my opinion they are going to rock that boat by demanding a full refund for missing out on 25% of the games.
The way this will pan out in my view.

Wait until mid to late May, Premier League finally realise BHCD or restart etc, playing this season next season etc all not happening. Season null and void.

Deal with SKY and BT that they can show 25% more live matches next season, probably including some 3.00pm kick offs and probably more matches spread out over the week.

They get more revenue, everyone's happy. Clubs take a hit from reduced attendances, but better than bust.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes, I absolutely do. I would of course not vote for the league to start up again this, or next month. But to say that football can only be played when there is absolutely no risk involved - for a start, I would never send a group of youngster with a plain to Astana.

Look, I´m not trying to downplay this crisis, and since early days, I´ve been slamming a lot of people on different forums for not taking this seriously enough. But as some point, we need to start living again, and I absolutely see a chance that the season could be ended with a lot of games - perhaps in June - if we do all we can to minimise the risk of contributing to further spread of the virus. At some points, we would have to send out kids to school again, still with the virus around - and still with a risk of getting sick. I know this if probably not the moment to discuss these things, but lets come back to it in a couple of months. Being isolated behind closed doors also has a price, and come June, the mass psychology may have a changed a bit.
I'm not sure what the Astana comment relates to or the relevance?

And what you've said is correct but not how you're interpreting it. Yes we have to beat this epidemic, save lives and get back to a semblance of normal life. We also have to get our economy back on track and ensure communities don't fall into poverty. The problem is football and entertainment is right at the bottom of the to-do list and can wait. Trying to get this up and running again before anything else is simply selfish.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sandra is more clued up that a lot of people in this thread. It amazes me how a collective of Liverpool fans who have presumably never met can all be so tone deaf and ignorant of the situation. One can only presume they take on this identity from the club itself.
Club allegiance transcends sense. We've seen it many times before, most horribly in the Suarez Evra tshirts whole saga.

fergosaurus

Any leaks on which club proposed playing the remaining games in China? What a ludicrous idea. :lol:

Wait until mid to late May, Premier League finally realise BHCD or restart etc, playing this season next season etc all not happening. Season null and void.

Deal with SKY and BT that they can show 25% more live matches next season, probably including some 3.00pm kick offs and probably more matches spread out over the week.

They get more revenue, everyone's happy. Clubs take a hit from reduced attendances, but better than bust.
Saturday 3pm games should not happen. Need to think of the lower league clubs who need people through the turnstiles to survive. All PL clubs will survive no matter what the outcome of this is, not all league clubs will. Quite frankly screw the PL, we should be looking to protect the rest of the league system as a priority.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Are you claiming Brugge were mathematical champions of the Belgian league?
No one has said that. Just that they were mathematically guaranteed to finished 1st in the standard league season.
Saturday 3pm games should not happen. Need to think of the lower league clubs who need people through the turnstiles to survive. All PL clubs will survive no matter what the outcome of this is, not all league clubs will. Quite frankly screw the PL, we should be looking to protect the rest of the league system as a priority.
I would agree if it were not for the fact anyone can pull up any game they want online in about 5 mins if they wish too. The 3pm blackout is not really relevant in this day and age.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, I'm proud of how United are acting in all of this. Good community spirit.
Yep, considering its the Glazers and spreadsheet Woodward I'm actually shocked. Seems like it's not just PR either, looks genuinely heartfelt.

Ashamed of my club at the moment as 100% of ex players and fans are. If RAWK can't even spin this then we know it's bad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Any leaks on which club proposed playing the remaining games in China? What a ludicrous idea. :lol:
Not quite sure how so many people took that literally, it was the most obvious April fool I've ever come across.

No one has said that. Just that they were mathematically guaranteed to finished 1st in the standard league season.

I would agree if it were not for the fact anyone can pull up any game they want online in about 5 mins if they wish too. The 3pm blackout is not really relevant in this day and age.
It’s true for a lot of people, but the quality is variable and I personally won’t watch a crap stream. Furthermore, if that was the case then there would be zero subscribers for Sky and BT - why bother paying if it’s all free?

the blackout is completely relevant.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

And what you've said is correct but not how you're interpreting it. Yes we have to beat this epidemic, save lives and get back to a semblance of normal life. We also have to get our economy back on track and ensure communities don't fall into poverty. The problem is football and entertainment is right at the bottom of the to-do list and can wait. Trying to get this up and running again before anything else is simply selfish.
Football & entertainment are part of the economy though. This virus ain't gonna disappear overnight, so the time will come when decisions have to be made as to when it's relatively 'safe' to try & make a start at getting back to some sort of normality. We all know that the reason for this lockdown/social distancing is to ensure the NHS isn't overrun. But we've got to assume that there's still going to be people contracting this disease for some time to come. So do we just stay in lockdown mode until this thing has gone completely ? Of course we don't, because that'll cause more problems - poverty, depression etc - than the virus itself.

redman5

Somehow you managed to miss the overarching point (I imagine deliberately since the analogy should have been obvious), which is even stated clearly for those like you who are unable to keep up: we can walk and chew gum at the same time. We can be distressed and sad and worried about a very real crisis while laughing at our football rivals. One of those things is way bigger and more important than the other. That doesn't mean the unimportant one is illegitimate. Reading comprehension is a decent skill to develop.

If United were 25 points ahead, I would be saying the same thing as I'm saying now. We're fine; we've won plenty of trophies in our history. A one-off situation like this would sting a little, but there's a far bigger picture to worry about. In such situations, adults tend to suck it up and move on.

Anyway, I've had enough of the obtuseness and disingenuousness displayed by Liverpool fans here, so I'm bowing out. Have a wee think about how you're coming across, arguing every tiny point about why (since, in the end, this is your ultimate agenda) Liverpool should be crowned champions, while people everywhere are suffering greatly. Continue to "make your case"; I don't care. I don't even post a great deal here, but I felt I had to call you and your cohorts out as it was really bothering me.

Stay safe and stay healthy.
Oh my bad. How unlucky am I ? I've stumbled across the only Manchester United fan on the planet that would graciously forfeit the league title & agree to his side's 25 point lead being erased from the record books. Well this just happens to be your lucky day, because I'm the only Liverpool fan on the planet that believes you.

ps

I don't really believe you ;)

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Oh my bad. How unlucky am I ? I've stumbled across the only Manchester United fan on the planet that would graciously forfeit the league title & agree to his side's 25 point lead being erased from the record books. Well this just happens to be your lucky day, because I'm the only Liverpool fan on the planet that believes you.

ps

Im a City fan, looking forward to 3 cups this year, the first CL in our history and we're favourites for it! The end if this season was looking to be historic for us..... But football can feckoff until this virus is blown away, it's all so insignificant, only LFC fans are wanting this season finished at all grotesque costs, seriously, the most noise is coming from LFC fans and their media

TheReligion

Abusive
Football & entertainment are part of the economy though. This virus ain't gonna disappear overnight, so the time will come when decisions have to be made as to when it's relatively 'safe' to try & make a start at getting back to some sort of normality. We all know that the reason for this lockdown/social distancing is to ensure the NHS isn't overrun. But we've got to assume that there's still going to be people contracting this disease for some time to come. So do we just stay in lockdown mode until this thing has gone completely ? Of course we don't, because that'll cause more problems - poverty, depression etc - than the virus itself.
A plan will be put in place to help guide people with a phased return back to normal I imagine with the overriding priority being not to allow another outbreak of the virus. When that's been maintained for a period, and things steadily achieving normality, everything else like football will start to resume.

Packing in hundreds of thousands of people across the country together several times per week will be the very last thing we do though and that's why I don't see football being a part of our lives for a while.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Im a City fan, looking forward to 3 cups this year, the first CL in our history and we're favourites for it! The end if this season was looking to be historic for us..... But football can feckoff until this virus is blown away, it's all so insignificant, only LFC fans are wanting this season finished at all grotesque costs, seriously, the most noise is coming from LFC fans and their media
There's nowhere near the certainty that City win the Champions League that there is that Liverpool would win the Prem tbf.

redman5

You know what pal ? If I thought all this - 'let's void the season asap' - stuff coming from the other side of the East Lancs Road was genuinely because our Mancunian friends were a caring, considerate, bunch, then I'd say fair play to you all. But it's just too much of a coincidence that it's Liverpool who'll stand to gain the most if/when the season restarts. & I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that you lot don't like us that much. So can you see why I for one, think all this stuff is just self-righteous bullshit & a cover for the real reasons why you'd have this season closed down & all records expunged right now if you could.

redman5

A plan will be put in place to help guide people with a phased return back to normal I imagine with the overriding priority being not to allow another outbreak of the virus. When that's been maintained for a period, and things steadily achieving normality, everything else like football will start to resume.

Packing in hundreds of thousands of people across the country together several times per week will be the very last thing we do though and that's why I don't see football being a part of our lives for a while.
What about pubs, clubs, cinema's etc ? Thousands of people right across the country pack into them on a regular basis. There has to be a point where we have to go back to how we were living. Not just footballing wise, but for the sake of the economy & society as a whole. If the virus returns, as is expected, then we'll have take the appropriate measures again. But we simply can't afford to live in fear & close everything down on a long term basis.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
You know what pal ? If I thought all this - 'let's void the season asap' - stuff coming from the other side of the East Lancs Road was genuinely because our Mancunian friends were a caring, considerate, bunch, then I'd say fair play to you all. But it's just too much of a coincidence that it's Liverpool who'll stand to gain the most if/when the season restarts. & I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that you lot don't like us that much. So can you see why I for one, think all this stuff is just self-righteous bullshit & a cover for the real reasons why you'd have this season closed down & all records expunged right now if you could.
So if i get this right, you're the victims again?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I agree that there's an internal chuckle at how close Liverpool have got to being champions and it (possibly) being taken away. That's sporting rivalry?

Hand on heart though, if it was United, I'd say feck it. It'd sting a bit but honestly not for long.. the one thing the last few weeks has taught me is to look at real priorities and focus on the real positives. Football is neither.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Spain daily deaths and cases are going down day by day... it's early April.. yet some on here seem to think that by July we will still have record breaking deaths around the world and that football is simply not possible to be played 2.5 full months from now.

Personally I'm really excited to have football back! Looks like the end of the road would be by Mid May then we would need a month of preseason so football back in July odds on it will happen!

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Plus would it be the full amount? Or is the 9 games left from each game worth that much? Thought it was 1 billion a season or something. Someone gave the math earlier in this thread that its something like 11million per club.
If the season is void, then it doesn't matter how many games are left, the games that were played were void so effectively didn't happen.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If the season is void, then it doesn't matter how many games are left, the games that were played were void so effectively didn't happen.
Yeah in turn I presume Sky and BT will also in turn hand back all the advertising revenue they generated and subscription fees.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah in turn I presume Sky and BT will also in turn hand back all the advertising revenue they generated and subscription fees.
well they should do. Clubs should also refund ticket sales and season tickets in a void scenario.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
well they should do. Clubs should also refund ticket sales and season tickets in a void scenario.
Guess the major winners will be Betfair then I suppose or whichever major gambling company always pops up during the break of Sky Sports.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Spain daily deaths and cases are going down day by day... it's early April.. yet some on here seem to think that by July we will still have record breaking deaths around the world and that football is simply not possible to be played 2.5 full months from now.

Personally I'm really excited to have football back! Looks like the end of the road would be by Mid May then we would need a month of preseason so football back in July odds on it will happen!
Yes because cases and deaths will only continue to go down as long as there is a full lock down. It's not actually a solution, covid-19 is still out there, all these lock-downs do is slow the virus down.

As soon as lockdown ends, we get the 2nd wave, presumably then panicky governments lock-down again, stop, 3rd wave and so on, until almost the whole population has herd immunity or a vaccine is developed and administered to everyone, which will be in 2 years or even longer.

In fact, lock-downs will make the whole pandemic drag on and on.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

Amazing lack of comprehension. You must be a constant danger to those around you.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Im a City fan, looking forward to 3 cups this year, the first CL in our history and we're favourites for it! The end if this season was looking to be historic for us.....
:lol:

Thanks for that. Genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Dve

It´s supposed to be played behind closed doors, you forgot.

Dve

If you want to help the economy, football behind closed doors would be a great start.

TheReligion

Abusive
What about pubs, clubs, cinema's etc ? Thousands of people right across the country pack into them on a regular basis. There has to be a point where we have to go back to how we were living. Not just footballing wise, but for the sake of the economy & society as a whole. If the virus returns, as is expected, then we'll have take the appropriate measures again. But we simply can't afford to live in fear & close everything down on a long term basis.
As said, I agree, but last time I checked we didn't chuck 70,000 people in cinemas and bars together.

Football and large sports events are at the top end of the scale and risk level hence why they will be the last thing to get back to normal.

stevoc

I'm thinking along the same lines, maybe a bit later i can see it dragging on into July before they call it quits. But yeah they'll come to an agreement with the broadcasters, maybe they pay less money next year than they're contracted to or as you say access to more matches. Though i doubt 3pm kick-offs will be on the table.

redman5

I agree that there's an internal chuckle at how close Liverpool have got to being champions and it (possibly) being taken away. That's sporting rivalry?

Hand on heart though, if it was United, I'd say feck it. It'd sting a bit but honestly not for long.. the one thing the last few weeks has taught me is to look at real priorities and focus on the real positives. Football is neither.
Would you still be saying that though back on this day in 1993 ? 26 years of hurt and all that. There's no ambiguity about the average Liverpool fan's desire to see us win our first Premier League title. But I'd say we all go along with the 'when it's safe & appropriate to do so' mantra set down by the footballing hierarchy. There's nothing selfish or evil about that. We can still feel massive empathy & sympathy for all those affected by this.

redman5

So if i get this right, you're the victims again?
I've said all along that I fully expect this season to be completed. Nothing's been said, or has happened, to make me change my mind. I find it hard though to see how they'll finish the European competitions. So I can think of at least 2 clubs who might see themselves as 'victims' should the EL & CL be scrapped.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Would you still be saying that though back on this day in 1993 ? 26 years of hurt and all that. There's no ambiguity about the average Liverpool fan's desire to see us win our first Premier League title. But I'd say we all go along with the 'when it's safe & appropriate to do so' mantra set down by the footballing hierarchy. There's nothing selfish or evil about that. We can still feel massive empathy & sympathy for all those affected by this.
With a pandemic? Yeah.

It's a sport.

stevoc

ps

To be fair you can't actually forfeit something who don't yet have.

TheReligion

Abusive
I've said all along that I fully expect this season to be completed. Nothing's been said, or has happened, to make me change my mind. I find it hard though to see how they'll finish the European competitions. So I can think of at least 2 clubs who might see themselves as 'victims' should the EL & CL be scrapped.
There's a very strong possibility it won't be completed though. And that's what you need to accept.

stevoc

So are you saying the news of declining death reports in Spain make you immediately excited that football might be coming back?