Could United be punished for fielding a weakened team?

Bullshitter doesn’t have two braincells to rub together.

Morally wrong would’ve been to field a full strength side 3 times in a little over 96 hours, the side would’ve been utterly fecked come Thursday’s game against Liverpool and likely ravaged by injury, giving them a massive unfair advantage and fecking the rest of our season.

When you schedule games that way, the only moral failure is from those doing the scheduling.

90 + 5min

Joking apart, there is a growing demand for United to be punished for fielding a weakened team against Leicester which has affected Chelsea, West Ham, Liverpool and Spurs. Could this happen and what are the consequences?

https://talksport.com/football/879618/
No.

You are allowed to do what is best for the team. To play 3 games in 5 days can’t be done unless you change the team. It is big injury risk and your muscels will be given though time.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Nonsense, we should blame Sheffield as well then for playing shit against the other top 4 and winning against us.
Maybe Sheffield should be punished for fielding a weakened squad all season.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

The City side that had 206 previous league starts between them this season? Compared to the 73 of United tonight? I don't think so no.
This argument is irrelevant. Had it been 0 starts then the argument is given consideration....until you realise they are registered players regardless.

Go and play the WUM elsewhere

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
:lol: :lol:

"Morally wrong", coming from a Chelsea supporter no less.
"Morally wrong" :lol:

You have to be so dumb to not see why we had to play weaker team but then it's not surprising that couple of dumb people can't see that.

Imagine whoever is in charge saying "City have 206 league league games between their rotated 11, you don't. So you can't play your fringe players" :lol:

Zen86

Yeah because we’re the first club who ever fielded a weakened team. Feck them for giving us this schedule in the first place.

roonster09

Scout
Bullshitter doesn’t have two braincells to rub together.

Morally wrong would’ve been to field a full strength side 3 times in a little over 96 hours, the side would’ve been utterly fecked come Thursday’s game against Liverpool and likely ravaged by injury, giving them a massive unfair advantage and fecking the rest of our season.

When you schedule games that way, the only moral failure is from those doing the scheduling.
Imagine thinking he is "objective and without bias" when he comes up with nonsense like we can play our first 11 twice in 3 days just because we rested our players vs Villa?

roonster09

Scout
Also on what grounds they will punish the club?

Who has the balls (from PA/FA) to say Matic, Bailly, de beek, Greenwood, De Gea, Tuanzebe, B. Williams, Telles, Mata are not good enough? Next we have to give them the option to choose our team.

We have 25 player squad limit and then can use U21 players. Only players who was from reserves was Elanga.

RedChisel

All logical thought goes out the window from pundits and opposition fans when we are involved. You've got to love how much we live in people's heads despite being potless for years. Imagine the rage when we actually win something :keano:

Crustanoid

So all the teams playing their cup final against us, yet visibly not even trying vs other rivals are going to get points docked?

That’s a lot of punishments to process

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Who has the balls (from PA/FA) to say Matic, Bailly, de beek, Greenwood, De Gea, Tuanzebe, B. Williams, Telles, Mata are not good enough?
With the exception maybe of Greenwood, quite a few members of the caf!

Seriously this is just clickbait rubbish, as so many people have pointed out only one person got their first team debut, if you had fielded 8 U23 players then maybe there would be an argument, but you didn't and there isn't.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's not Ole's responsibility to manage the ins and outs of the top 4 race, just because we're at the tail-end of the season. Had we done this at the start of the season, no-one would be saying anything about it.

United aren't responsible for any other club's final League position and it's not anything the manager should have to consider. Ole looks after his own team and picks the players he feels are right for each fixture.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I still can't believe Wolves got fined for playing a second string team against us years ago.
One of the worst decisions I've seen a sporting body make.
All the players are registered for the first team, same as yesterday, how can there be an issue with that?

roonster09

Scout
With the exception maybe of Greenwood, quite a few members of the caf!

Seriously this is just clickbait rubbish, as so many people have pointed out only one person got their first team debut, if you had fielded 8 U23 players then maybe there would be an argument, but you didn't and there isn't.
Yes Caf and even I say they are poor players. But the people who holds official positions, how can they say player isn't good enough?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am amazed every time when this talk happens. And annoyed. In WC 2018 we put backup 11 vs Iceland and Argentina were crying how it is not fair, bla bla bla. Every year this happens in every league.
1) You register 25 players. It is on manager to use them how he wants and when he wants. Because he must do what is the best for HIS club
2) Who can go to manager and say what player is starter or what player is not?
3) No manager cries during season when some rest players. But at the end of the season it is different? feck off.

We could talk about fielding 11 u21 players but using players from 25 roster is by the book and by the rules

Drainy

Like Sir Alex once said, if you don't want to rely on other results don't put yourself in that position.

The league cannot expect any club to play 4 games in a week with the best players starting each

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I still can't believe Wolves got fined for playing a second string team against us years ago.
One of the worst decisions I've seen a sporting body make.
All the players are registered for the first team, same as yesterday, how can there be an issue with that?
After that farce, FA changed rules and introduced 25 players rule.

zackymoles18

I find it difficult to believe that the FA can punish us for using our substitutes and more well rested players for this match. The following are my reasons to justify why:

1. Footballers are human beings as well. I do understand that there is a lot of passion and money involved in games. However, the club, as proper employers of the footballers, has to take care of the physical well-being of their employees. It is akin to a common worker working 48 hours straight. It risks mental and physical damage to the body. Why would footballers, then, want to play in this match where i know i have a 70% or more chance of getting injured? What will my family feel if i get injured? How can we have an argument, forcing our fellow human beings, to risk their bodies for their work?

2. Like what was mentioned before, each team shall manage their own resources and manpower to ensure the best outcome available to them. If we post our strongest team on the field today and risk fatigue or injure for the Europa Final, how does that help the club? Will the FA compensate for the loss of income and prestige from losing the Europa?

Therefore, i am of strong view that the FA, just like governments and employers around the world, should regulate and manage their schedules and working hours for their employees and footballers to ensure safe competition.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Surely it's the clubs call to choose any player they have? Why the feck would anyone have a say about that other than the club? That's like saying if you have a sports car and a normal car, you can't drive a normal car :houllier:

How do you even go about determining what is a 'weakened' team?
Talksport 'expert' arguing that we should be deducted points for rotating, yet these 'experts' were up in arms a few years back when Ian Holloway fielded a very weak Blackpool side, saying that it is not right when the PL and F.A. can start chosing which team can play and it is a squad game.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We won’t be deducted feck all. The FA jammed in the extra game and we got on with it. It was only 2-1 ffs!

I'd love to see anybody try. We sent out 11 players who were all registered as first team players with the league. We can select whoever we want to.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I said this might happen a week or so ago, it honestly wouldn’t shock me.

padzilla

Hipster
Talksport is for halfwits and Daily Star readers, even though they're often one and the same. United still fielded a side that was more expensive to assemble than Leicester did. Will Leicester be fined too?

DomesticTadpole

Talksport is for halfwits and Daily Star readers, even though they're often one and the same. United still fielded a side that was more expensive to assemble than Leicester did. Will Leicester be fined too?
All we should be fined for is not spending our money as wisely as Leicester. You would think we were beaten 10-0 the way they are going on.

Ludens the Red

What’s been missed in all of this is West Brom being massive cnuts and refusing to move their game with Liverpool to this midweek even though they had no chance of surviving.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
There would need to be a precise definition in the rule book of what a "weak team" is. How many changes does it take for a team to be deemed "weak" ? The whole argument makes no sense, the ones who bang on about it are so clueless it's tragic to me.

Okey

It's almost amusing that this is actually a thing to be considered. We played 2 days before, will play again 2 days after. The only thing we should be punished for is not having a squad as good as Citeh, leaving our bench options open to insult and ridicule.

NoLogo

I'll remind everyone that Klopp in a similar situation fielded a better youth team to play a cup game. I know he had got critiqued by some people on here and the media for this as well but in a case like that the players health and fitness has to come first and it's not like we lost 5-0, with a bit of luck our "weakend team" might even have equalized towards the end.

kouroux

I could understand if the outcry is only made by people who have never been pros or even haven't even played any sports whatsoever but when it's done by ex pros, it's hilarious to me.

DomesticTadpole

There would need to be a precise definition in the rule book of what a "weak team" is. How many changes does it take for a team to be deemed "weak" ? The whole argument makes no sense, the ones who bang on about it are so clueless it's tragic to me.
You can't go on changes though, look at City who can field two eleven's who could win the league. We played a couple of kids, the rest were relatively experienced.

kouroux

You can't go on changes though, look at City who can field two eleven's who could win the league. We played a couple of kids, the rest were relatively experienced.
Exactly, which makes the whole outcry even more ridiculous :lol: There is no way to define precisely what a weak team is, it's all subjective and no way can you get punished for that.

DomesticTadpole

Exactly, which makes the whole outcry even more ridiculous :lol: There is no way to define precisely what a weak team is, it's all subjective and no way can you get punished for that.
Looking at that Richard Keys thread, would they be up in arms if we had played a full side last night and won against Leicester and field a weak side against Liverpool. Would it be poor Leicester, I doubt it very much.

BootsyCollins

So in our disrespectfull discrase of a b-team everone had CL games bar one and everyone bar two(Williams and Elanga i think?) has played international games for sides like Spain, England, Portugal and Serbia.

kouroux

Looking at that Richard Keys thread, would they be up in arms if we had played a full side last night and won against Leicester and field a weak side against Liverpool. Would it be poor Leicester, I doubt it very much.
I say Ole'd get criticized for fielding the same team if someone got injured or the results were negative. I expect this sort of nonsense of arguments from clueless people who never have been active in any physical activity of any level but some ex pros are piling on too :lol:

Didn’t Man City just play a weakened team against Chelsea - allowing them to get 3 points!

the hypocrisy.

Its a squad game - only one player made his debut, who probably wouldn’t have played if James was fit.

obviously the answer is no.

If we had 5 subs, which the likes of Sheffield UNITED vetoed, the rotation would have been less.

kouroux

Didn’t Man City just play a weakened team against Chelsea - allowing them to get 3 points!

the hypocrisy.

Its a squad game - only one player made his debut, who probably wouldn’t have played if James was fit.

obviously the answer is no.

If we had 5 subs, which the likes of Sheffield UNITED vetoed, the rotation would have been less.
Completely forgot about that one. I'm even more so happy they're going down now.

kouroux

As someone mentioned about WBA refusing to move their game against Liverpool to this week and they are gone as well. Karma. Love it.
This is what the CEO of Sheffield said
So far this season, clubs playing in Europe have endured a similar workload to clubs in the Championship and we don't hear them complaining, do we? Here at Bramall Lane, we have not seen an increase in muscle injuries.
They go back to where they really belong I guess