Could United be punished for fielding a weakened team?

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
I think it was morally wrong but not punishable in my eyes, can of worms because of squad lists etc.

Only 73 league starts between the 11 this season though before tonight and 43 of those are de Gea and Greenwood so 30 league starts between the other 9 doesn't look great.... Mata highly experienced but hasn't started a league game for nearly 6 months...

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I think it was morally wrong but not punishable in my eyes, can of worms because of squad lists etc.

Only 73 league starts between the 11 this season though before tonight and 43 of those are de Gea and Greenwood so 30 league starts between the other 9 doesn't look great.... Mata highly experienced but hasn't started a league game for nearly 6 months...
Get off it. Morally wrong. Looking forward to seeing your team before the CL final should you have top 4 confirmed. Pity you can't recall some of the dozens of highly rated and paid loanees for the one game, right?

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Get off it. Morally wrong. Looking forward to seeing your team before the CL final should you have top 4 confirmed. Pity you can't recall some of the dozens of highly rated and paid loanees for the one game, right?
We could rotate without any major impact if that were the case as we play Villa who have nothing major on the line. Who did you play a full strength side against at the weekend again?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
4 games in 8 days. What is to be expected if not squad rotation?
There had to be a complete player rotation. Football players cannot play 4 games in 8 days. Just not possible !
The league cannot give a team that schedule & then complain about player selection.

Adcuth

Why has a thread been created to discuss whether a comment by an ex city player about utd using registered players and whether we should be punished. We have 3 games in 5 days. Dont give him the attention he's obviously craving

Idxomer

This is what the 3rd thread we've had about what punishment are we going to get now

ESL
Protest/game Postponement
Weakened Team

Maybe Fulham are safe after all
With all those punishments, we're probably down in League 2 by now.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Its a squad game, and we should be able to pick any player eligible from the squad to play. It was hardly that weak of a side either. It has international players, and players that are regularly competing for first team spots.

There is no surprise when other players played 2 days ago, that their squad competition gets the nod over them in the next game.

Iowa Red

We could rotate without any major impact if that were the case as we play Villa who have nothing major on the line. Who did you play a full strength side against at the weekend again?
The squad that played against Villa was fully rested. Would you rather we play a weak side against Villa and Pool and leave the full-strength side against Leicester? Cause rotation will happen and someone will be playing against a weaker United team.

hobbers

Even funnier coming from a Chelsea fan.
And Chelsea fans should be quite happy with this approach from us. Sure Leicester are closer to them than Liverpool, but if we had played the same team that started against Villa we probably lose today from fatigue, and definitely lose to Liverpool.

This approach means we play our best eleven, who are mostly fresh, against Liverpool, and if we win that it will all but confirm Chelsea's CL place.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
And Chelsea fans should be quite happy with this approach from us. Sure Leicester are closer to them than Liverpool, but if we had played the same team that started against Villa we probably lose today from fatigue, and definitely lose to Liverpool.

This approach means we play our best eleven, who are mostly fresh, against Liverpool, and if we win that it will all but confirm Chelsea's CL place.
Right, so logic would dictate there is even more credence to what i'm saying seeing as the thing i disagree with actually in most scenarios suits my team. Almost as if some football fans are capable of removing the blinkers and seeing things objectively, shocking I know.

el3mel

No. You can't prove that we wanted to lose the game. We mind our own business and we had another game in 2 days. :lol:

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
The mods need to put a cap on the amount of Chelsea fans that are allowed to post on this forum.

Morally wrong :rolleyes:
It's okay to admit you find it okay and fine, funny even, because it is Liverpool involved. Nobody gives a shiny and nothing is going to happen so embrace it :lol: but the innocent our hands were tied routine is ridiculous.

Amarsdd

Ok, let me ask you a question and try to answer it honestly.
Lets assume Chelsea has 3 games in 5 days. First game is against a midtable side winning which guarantees top 4 and almost guarantees 2nd place. Second game is against a good side against whom you don't have any historical rivalry and also are relatively clear of in terms of the 2nd place. Third game is against your biggest historical rival (idk maybe Arsenal?) and your fanbase wants to win that no matter where both teams are in the league or at whatever point in the season. And add to that you have a final coming in a couple of weeks. Now tell me honestly, which game would you want Chelsea to rest players for? Would you honestly want Chelsea to go full strength in the second game, firstly risking your chances in the third game (tiredness, minor injuries, suspension) and secondly risking big injuries to important players for having to play 3 games in 5 days and missing the final, and all just for the sake of the "integrity of fight for the top 4 place" in a season with 38 games?

FatTails

It’s time that we rethink this idea that being an ex-player, on its own, means you deserve a platform to air your “expert” opinion.

Genuinely feels that some of them never think before they say something.

always_hoping

It's okay to admit you find it okay and fine, funny even, because it is Liverpool involved. Nobody gives a shiny and nothing is going to happen so embrace it :lol: but the innocent our hands were tied routine is ridiculous.
Couldn't care less about Liverpool, player welfare was the main issue. Top 4 secured and the main objective left in this Premier league season for United is avoiding any more injuries before the Cup final.

'Morally wrong' At least make a decent effort if you want to play the wum.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Ok, let me ask you a question and try to answer it honestly.
Lets assume Chelsea has 3 games in 5 days. First game is against a midtable side winning which guarantees top 4 and almost guarantees 2nd place. Second game is against a good side against whom you don't have any historical rivalry and also are relatively clear of in terms of the 2nd place. Third game is against your biggest historical rival (idk maybe Arsenal?) and your fanbase wants to win that no matter where both teams are in the league or at whatever point in the season. And add to that you have a final coming in a couple of weeks. Now tell me honestly, which game would you want Chelsea to rest players for? Would you honestly want Chelsea to go full strength in the second game, firstly risking your chances in the third game (tiredness, minor injuries, suspension) and secondly risking big injuries to important players for having to play 3 games in 5 days and missing the final, and all just for the sake of the "integrity of fight for the top 4 place" in a season with 38 games?
2nd place was pretty much done soon as Leicester lost to Newcastle. Biggest rival would be Spurs by the way and no i am not keen on any side even my own potentially distorting major league positions. Like i didn't agree with the side we picked when Liverpool were going for the title under Rodgers even though they blew that game themselves.

This isn't FM and the fact it was Liverpool and they are a rival should be irrelevant to the discussion. If you were facing two sides fighting for relegation you owe it to both (in my eyes, you and anyone are free to disagree) to treat both games similarly. If that was the intention then in my eyes the game to rest some players was the Villa game as they had little on the line and the result was of little consequence to other sides around them either.

shahzy

Was it morally wrong when city made 10 changes against Chelsea not too long ago too?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:lol: Wait, so you want to punish us for our owners being nutjobs and then when we have to play 4 games in 8 days you want to punish us for not playing our best 11 every game. Thanks Jurgen, now go feck yourself (not you Op).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
There's nothing to find. It is okay. Prove to me otherwise.

hobbers

Right, so logic would dictate there is even more credence to what i'm saying seeing as the thing i disagree with actually in most scenarios suits my team. Almost as if some football fans are capable of removing the blinkers and seeing things objectively, shocking I know.
No, there's no logic to be found in your assertion that it was morally wrong. Whether you've been objective or not is irrelevant when you still reached the wrong answer.

Doesn't matter what teams benefitted and what teams didn't, and which fans are pissed and which fans are happy. It's not morally wrong by any stretch of anyone's imagination (anyone sane, can't legislate for the delusions of embittered scousers on RAWK).

United, just like every other club, are under no obligation to pick any players other than those chosen by their manager to play. End of story.

The only morally indefensible option would have been playing the same best eleven for 3 matches in a row, in the space of only 96 hours, with zero recovery time. And the risk to those players of serious muscle injuries.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
How is this even an argument? You have a squad you can legitimately pick and choose from as you see fit and an FA which puts on a diabolical run of games. You use the squad.

We could mathematically still be champions as much as Leicester or others may or may not end up in Top 4.

Ultimately, nobody is making or not making Top 4 because we gave a youth product his debut, but as a result of whatever the feck they did or didn't do in their own 38 games.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Saying that we put out a B team would be overtly flattering to United and disrespectful to an illustrious Leicester side.

We just don't have quality to compensate for when key players are being rested.

LoneStar

Surely it's the clubs call to choose any player they have? Why the feck would anyone have a say about that other than the club? That's like saying if you have a sports car and a normal car, you can't drive a normal car :houllier:

How do you even go about determining what is a 'weakened' team?

Amarsdd

2nd place was pretty much done soon as Leicester lost to Newcastle. Biggest rival would be Spurs by the way and no i am not keen on any side even my own potentially distorting major league positions. Like i didn't agree with the side we picked when Liverpool were going for the title under Rodgers even though they blew that game themselves.

This isn't FM and the fact it was Liverpool and they are a rival should be irrelevant to the discussion. If you were facing two sides fighting for relegation you owe it to both (in my eyes, you and anyone are free to disagree) to treat both games similarly. If that was the intention then in my eyes the game to rest some players was the Villa game as they had little on the line and the result was of little consequence to other sides around them either.
"This isn't FM" umm what?! And you know the fact that Liverpool are rivals is very relevant. And yes, we owe it to both teams to treat both games similarly in normal circumstances. If this was a normal midweek game, then I would have absolutely wanted a strong team to play against Leicester. But I don't think we or any other team owe it to any other teams to the detriment of our own chances in footballing terms.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Plastics won't really get how big a game is vs Pool. Can't blame them really. Pool played their last game on the weekend and some on here who claim that we were morally wrong expect utd to play a full strength squad thrice in 6 days :lol:

LoneStar

Morally wrong to rest some players when we are playing 4 games in 8 days? Really mate? At least you have an apt username to go with that comment.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Was Klopp morally wrong when he played a side full of youth players vs Arsenal in the Carabao cup which had a scoreline of 5-5?

Nobody talks about it. I wonder why.

gorky_utd

Top 4 wasn't mathematically secured. After villa win, UCL football is guaranteed for next season so the first team played against villa.

retired_muppet

so you want United to field first team on both Leicester and Liverpool games?
As in fresh first team on Leicester game and tired first team 48 hours later against Liverpool?

or should we field weakened squad on both matches? Wouldn't that be unfair to other teams like Chelsea and West ham?

Tallis

I seriously doubt anyone will take action. If anything the FA should be fined for making us play 4 games in 8 days.

The morally wrong argument is nonsense of the highest order. Teams rest players all the time ahead of games. Did we rest too many - well how many times have teams had to play 4 games in 8 days ?

Redlyn

As soon as that schedule happened this rotation was always going to happen and basically that's it. FA have only themselves to blame.